Page 1 of 1

The Nameless City

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:47 am
by kabukiman
The group entered the city. They couldn't see from outside, how she liked. Carefully, they entered the gates. Inside, they saw black buildings, who were in excellent shape. Most still had the roofs; they were of medium size. They could see 3 streets: one to the left, the other to the right (both parallel to the wall) and a third, to the center off the city.
-Hum, let's enter one of the buildings, who doesn't have the roofs, ok? It's probably more safe- said Laurence.

Re: The Nameless City

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"Good idea," says Patrick, taking pictures of the city now that he's up close. He looks for the nearest building that does not have a roof.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:00 pm
by kabukiman
Carefully, your group walk to the nearest house. The door is open and you can still see the door; the roof has fallen because the weight of the ice. It's all full of mud inside.
- Better leave this one. Let's try another.
After some time you find a house that is in better shape. It has 3 rooms: one must had been kitchen/living room. You see some cloths made of fur and some pottery. Some furniture all roten is also there.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick takes some pictures of the interior of the building. "Well, this one is a little better," he says, "but since it doesn't have a roof, its contents have been exposed to the elements." He looks through the rooms carefully for anything out of the ordinary.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:33 am
by kabukiman
-Well, this city doesn't seem to be destroyed by any enemy; seems more to be abandoned. Let's walk a little more to see a intact house.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
"All right, let's go," says Patrick. "I wonder why they abandoned it?"

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:34 am
by kabukiman
-I don't know. That's just one of the questions. Ok, let's try to enter this building.
After some effort, the door is open. The house is small; it has what must been a fireplace, some blanckets, and a little carved animal in wood; a toy or a idol?
-As soon as you finish Mr Patrick, we will try to find some big house or a church.
You don't hear any sounds, just the wind

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick takes more pictures of the inside of the building, being sure to take a detailed photo of the carved wooden animal, trying to discern what manner of beast it represents. "Okay, I'm ready," says Patrick. "You know, seeing this wooden animal made me think of something. Have you noticed any animals around? After this place was abandoned, there would be nothing to stop wild animals from roaming around, but I don't think I've seen one since we arrived. I don't hear any either."

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 am
by kabukiman
-Hum, your right. Even abandoned, there should had been some scavengers, some wolfs. I wonder why they aren't? Let's enter a bit more.
After some time, you arrive at a big building. In a certain way, it remembers a mosque, but it isn't obviously muslin, since they are human representations. You receive a call (you can go to The Mound thread, but don't read anything before).

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:19 am
by Mr. Handy
"That was Vance," says Patrick. "His group has been digging at the mound. They haven't found much of interest yet, and they've stopped for lunch." He shows Laurence the photos of the dig site. "Okay, let's go on in."

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:03 am
by kabukiman
You open the door. You feel a strange smell: this place has been locked for centuries at least. The floor is made of mosaics with geometrical motivs. In the walls you see paitings, with the same strange images of men; they use tunics and are seen in their knees in front a figure that cannot be seen because the paintings are all dirty. There are strange symbols that are probably some kind of writing.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick begins snapping photos of the interior of the temple: the mosaics, the wall paintings, and especially the symbols. "Now this is extremely interesting," says Patrick. "Does this look like any language you've ever heard of?"

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 pm
by kabukiman
-No, and even if ancient writing is not my main field, this is not runes. Maybe the Inuits had invented some kind of writing?- He says without much conviction- Send this to the university as soon as possible so they may compare it.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
"I will, the next time I jack in," says Patrick. "The sooner they get it, the sooner they can try to identify and translate it. I wonder what else we might find in this temple." He looks around to see what else might be in the room and what exits lead to other rooms.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 am
by kabukiman
-Well, let's go to the other entrance, it must be sanctus sanctorum.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick nods. "Yes, that's probably where the best finds are," he says. "Let's go see." He follows Laurence.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:45 am
by kabukiman
-The door are made of bronze. They are heavy, but after some time you can open them. The place is completly dark, but after some time (and with the help of lights) you start to see. The room is empty. Except for a statue of about 4 meters of hight. It represents an incredible creature, like a toad big bellied, but with short fur and closed globular eyes. One of the girls faint, the others are speechless.
Roll san: If passed lose 1 san, if failed lose 1d4.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick is only mildly disturbed by the hideous idol. "What the hell is that thing?" he asks, though he is sure nobody here knows the answer. He takes pictures of it from multiple angles.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:28 pm
by kabukiman
The group is helping the fainted girl.
-Hum, let's see if we see anything else, ok?
Make a spot hiden roll

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick looks around the room, but only the statue draws his attention.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:26 am
by kabukiman
You don't notice anything, when suddenly you heard a voice (inside your head) telling you:
-You can start the worship.
Make a roll, if failed lose 1d4, if passed, lose 1 san.

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick shivers again, but quickly recovers. Who said that? he thinks.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:22 pm
by kabukiman
Slowly, what seems a pool of dark water comes and starts to put itself in a vertical position as a moquery of a man.
-I. the servant of of the sleeper of N'Kai.
The girl who just awaked faint again. Several members runn screaming.
Make 1/1d10 sanity roll.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick somehow manages to keep his wits about him - for the most part. He snaps pictures of the thing as it forms, knowing that nobody would believe it without proof, or even with it. Some people will probably think it's a hologram, he thinks. Though he knows that such technology didn't exist back then, he can't help but wonder if some other group found this site first and set this up. Still, the voice speaking in his head is rather convincing, but he realizes that some newly developed technology might be able to cause that effect. He tries to help revive the girl who fainted, carrying her if she does not get up on her own. Then he does the sensible thing and follows the others out of the room.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:52 am
by kabukiman
As soon you leave the room, the creature don't bother you anymore.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
"Did everyone make it out?" asks Patrick, doing a quick head count.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 am
by kabukiman
Ali is trying to reanime Claire. George is too pale. Tanaka who is a bit more controled answers:
-I think that Carlos runned away outside.
Mathieu asks:
-What should we do? What was that thing?

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy
"Whatever it was," says Patrick, "I think it spoke into my mind before it appeared in the room. I got some good footage of it forming. It told me to start the worship, and when I mentally asked who it was, it called itself the servant of the sleeper of N'Kai. Does that name mean anything to anyone?" He tries to help Claire wake up, using all of his meager medical skills. "I think she's just in shock. She should be okay. As for what we should do, I say we find Carlos first. Once we get everyone back together, we should go back to base camp and report our findings. I've got the proof right here, in case they find it too incredible."
OOC,Does my camera record moving video, or only still photos? If the latter, then I'd have taken many pictures in quick succession. If it recorded video, that's even better.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:33 am
by kabukiman
Video, but it has just 10 minutes of film; in photo mode, you can take several thousands
The group leaves the temple in a depressed mood. Outside, you see some footprints

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy
"Looks like he went that way," says Patrick, indicating the footrpints. "Let's follow them, but make sure everyone stays together."
OOC,Okay, thanks. The creature only took seconds to form, so there was plenty of room to record it on video.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:19 am
by kabukiman
Make a spott hidden roll to see if you continue to see the footprints.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick is able to make out the footprints and stay on Carlos's trail.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:41 pm
by kabukiman
The footprints go to east (the main gate is to south)

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"He went this way, everyone," says Patrick. He follows the footprints to the east.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am
by kabukiman
This area must had been the rich zone. There are several palaces, all in good shape. Some have the doors open, others are closed. FInally you see Carlos crying near a wall.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
Patrick leads the others over to Carlos. "Carlos, it's okay," he says soothingly. "It's over now, and we're all fine. Let's get out of this place and back to base camp."

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 am
by kabukiman
The professor tell you_
-Yes let's leave this place quickly. But tomorow we will return here and leave that acursed temple. And what should we tell to the others?

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:24 am
by kabukiman
Vance is calling you. Go to the phone call thread.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Patrick hangs up. "That was Vance," he says. "His group made an interesting find: the mounds were graves containing skeletons, and they weren't human." He shows the pictures that Vance sent him. "Let's get back to camp. I think we should tell the others the truth about what we experienced and let them draw their own conclusions about it. We have the proof on my camera, if anyone has a strong enough stomach to look at it."

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:43 pm
by kabukiman
-What do you mean with "not human"? Some freak creature? But your right, let's leave this place.
The group returns in silent.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I'm not sure what Vance meant," says Patrick as he walks along. "He just said the skeletons were not Homo Sapiens. Maybe they're something similar, though." He examines the pictures.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 pm
by kabukiman
Make a biology roll

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy
Patrick can't make much sense of the pictures. "What do you think of these?" he asks, showing them to the others.

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:07 pm
by kabukiman
For you all of you it seems a normal skull.
-Humm, recognizing bones isn't exactly my experty, but after what we saw today, I doubt some deformities will be of much importance.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy
"We'll see what the people who found it say when we all meet up back at base camp," says Patrick. "Let's keep moving."

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 am
by kabukiman
The group returns in a depressed mood. Nobody speaks, still affected by what you saw in the temple.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm going to go check our online security one more time," says Patrick. "If I can't find any evidence of breaches, I'll send our data and footage back to the university. I just don't want to risk it being intercepted. This is a huge find!"

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:44 am
by kabukiman
Roll system knowledge.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick examines his defenses with a skilled eye.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:22 am
by kabukiman
Everything is ok, nobody has tried to breach it.

Return to the thread: All

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 pm
by kabukiman
You return to the gates of the city.
This time, the team is made by Professor Laurence Mathieu, Professor Belinda Mirel, students Tanaka, Ali, George, Claire, and Belinda protegé-Mark. One mercenary is also with you.

(Carlos is in the in the camp, recovering from the shock he suffered last day).
-So what are you waiting?- asks Professor Belinda.
-Well-says Mathieu with no entusiasm- this is it. Let's just avoid the temples.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
"Okay," says Patrick, readying his camera. "Where do you want to check out first?"

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:31 pm
by kabukiman
-Well, I'm thinking that we could go to one of those palaces that we saw yesterday after... the incident

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"All right, but let's approach cautiously," says Patrick. "We don't know what we're going to find."

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 pm
by kabukiman
-Of course, of course, we don't want to take any risk.-Answers Professor Mathieu
The group is entering in silence, except Professor Belinda and Mark who are discussing about the city.
-Well, with those house small that we saw near the gates, and the palaces and temples that you say that exist, it is obvious that this civilization was a pyramidal society, probably with a patriarchal theocracy.
-Yes, professor. Do you think that they would make human sacrifices?
-Probably, but they could kill in other ways, by targeting minorities or acusing women of witchcraft.
The group arrive at the palace.
-It's here- says Professor Mathieu- please be careful.
The main door is small, about 1,70m; the locals were probably short. Inside there is a small dark corridor. At the end, there is a room. It has 6 couches (klines- says the professor), with a small table in the middle. Probably a dining room.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick takes pictures as he goes along, first of the palace's exterior and then of the interior rooms, making sure to get a picture of the furniture. "There must be many other rooms in this palace," he says, looking around for other exits from the room. "It's remarkably well-preserved, considering how old it must be. Maybe it was frozen over until recently."

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:41 am
by kabukiman
-Well, the doors were closed, so it must had been preserved from the cold and didn't get any mud.
The walls are painted with geometrical patherns. When you arrive at one room, you see other paintings: men hunting animals: some kind of tiger with big teeths; bears that are much bigger than humans. In the room is one bed, and an ark.
-This is scarry-says George- it's like we are some robbers entering in another place home.
-Well, thats what we do-answers Tanaka- a kind of necrophilia.
-That's so gross- says Claire.
-Why are tiger tooths painted in the walls? -Asks Mark-should'nt they be extint when the city was build?
Nobody bothers to answer him.
Ping. Someone is calling you.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"Maybe the city is older than we think," says Patrick. "Or maybe sabertooth tigers lived here more recently than previously thought. Hold on, I've got a call." He answers the phone. "Hello?"

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 am
by kabukiman
-Hi, this is Professor Rodrick. I have been doing test all this morning about the skull you bring yesterday. Well, I used first carbon 14 to see the fellow age, but I thought it had some mistake, because it was superior to 100000; I made it again, and the same result. Well, with some test I got a Result: the skull is more than 1.000.000 years old. That's right. Biology isn't my expertise, but I think it's an early branch of Homo Habilis who left mother land-I mean Africa- sooner and evoluted outside earlier than our ancesters. So Professor Derby was correct: It should be called Homo (Genus) Miskatonikus (specie).Oh, and the kids who are here, have finish to scann the old scroll the other team found yesterday. It can be sent when you are ready to the university.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"Thank you, Professor," says Patrick. "I've heard that carbon dating isn't accurate beyond a few thousand years, but I guess you weren't expecting the skull to be that old anyway. These other tests you ran must have been different ones. I hadn't heard about the scroll, so I'll have to check that out. This find is even bigger than we thought." He fills in the others about what Professor Rodrick told him. "Sabertooth tigers don't sound quite so unlikely now," he tells them.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 am
by kabukiman
Everybody is speechless until Mathieu says:
-One million years? That changes completly history of mankind! Our ancestors at this time were starting to dominate the fire, and this civilization wasalready building cities! But what happened to them?

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Well, we don't know how old the city actually is," says Patrick. "That skull was found at the mound, which could pre-date the city by a long time. Still, it must be older than any city we know about. What happened to these people is a mystery. Maybe that creature we saw has something to do with it, and that scroll might have some clues too. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to keep exploring."

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 am
by kabukiman
-Well, I hope there isn't any more like that, or we will have to stop all explorations. Belinda, Tanaka and Mark stay in this room; Tanaka you have already experience in archaeology so you know what to do. The rest will come with me to another room.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:06 am
by Mr. Handy
"All right," says Patrick, taking some pictures of the room and its contents. "Lead the way."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:09 pm
by kabukiman
The other room must had been a children room. There is a small bed, an ark and what must had been toys.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:32 am
by Mr. Handy
Patrick takes pictures of the room and its contents. "Now this is interesting," he says, taking a closer look at the ark. "I wonder what this is for."

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:52 pm
by kabukiman
-Be very careful. Actually, I will try to open. I just hope this doesn't have any monsters- says in a nervous laugth Professor Mathieu.
He opens carefully... and there are some cloths inside.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"It's a child's room," says Patrick, also laughing. "If there are any monsters, they'll be in the closet or under the bed." He takes pictures of the clothing. "Those are well-preserved too."

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:35 pm
by kabukiman
-Yes. Too well preserved if you want to know my opinion. I know this place was conserved in ice, but it's creepy anyway. Well, its time to eat something. To avoid creating some damage, let's go outside.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy
"All right," says Patrick, going outside with the others. "I wonder if those clothes might have been planted there. Maybe we're not the first ones here, and someone else is trying to discredit our discoveries or something."

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:27 am
by kabukiman
-Maybe. That would explain what happened yesterday. Of course, everything will be put to tests, so, if any suspicious object will not be included in the discoveries.
-Teacher, what's the name we will give to this civilization?- asks Tanaka- those guys were pretty important.
-Well, I haven't thought about that. I mean, if we don't find a way to decipher the writings, we could try to see if the Inuits have any legend about a missing civilization. Of course, with 1.000.000 years I doubt. So maybe the nearest local name will be used.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy
"Maybe," says Patrick. "We could always call them the Ancients. The name seems appropriate. Or perhaps the Precursors."

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:00 pm
by kabukiman
-That seems from a Tv Sf. I'm sure that our colegues will find something more rational.

Mr Handy, please return to the All thread.