IC-Chapter 2-Friday on my Mind(Bill/Yeager)

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Chapter 2-Friday on my Mind(Bill/Yeager)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well," said Yeager, "we can keep looking for Brian, and those two guys we rousted outside the prof's house the other night. Other than that, once we get the bug in place you'll be on your own time. It's the weekend, so enjoy it. I can let you know if anything turns up."
OOC,Is there anything else you'd like to do or say before [b]Gus Stoker[/b] shows up with the tools?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Nothing at the mo'.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While they waited, Yeager requisitioned a listening device - and some dinner for everyone, Chinese takeout food. At around 8:00 PM, Gus Stoker showed up, carrying a toolbox. "What have you got, Lou?"

"This," said Yeager, placing the scrambler on the desk.

Gus whistled. "Is that a scrambler?"

"Right the first time. We need you to open it up, plant a bug inside it, and put it back together. The device has to remain functional so we can listen in on the suspect's secure conversations, and we can't leave any visible evidence of tampering."

"Leave it to me." Gus set to work as he chowed down on Lo Mein. It took him a while, but he managed to plant the bug as required. They tested it to make sure it worked, and they were able to listen in on the microphone inside the scrambler. By this time it was 10:00.

"Well done, Stoker! Now we've just got to put this back without leaving anyone the wiser - and fix that damn drawer!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"You got everything you need to fix the drawer?" Bill asked Hendricks, kicking himself for not thinking to ask sooner while they were waiting for Gus Stoker.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do," said Gus Stoker, patting his toolbox. "I know how to use 'em too. I should be able to help with that drawer."

"All right," said Yeager. "Once the wife goes to sleep, we'll have to sneak in there. The back door should still be unlocked. We'll need to repair both the bottom of the drawer and the lock, and make it look like nothing ever happened to them, before she wakes up - so we'll have to be quiet about it. Everyone ready?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"I guess so," replied Bill, feeling really apprehensive about returning to the Professor's house in the middle of the night, particularly given that Mrs. Anderson would be there. He wanted to ask if all of this was legal but was pretty sure that the answer would be 'no'! He tried to rationalise it that whatever he was doing would get him home but it didn't make him feel any more comfortable about the situation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The four of them left the building and got in the Mustang, and Yeager drove back to the house through the darkened streets.

Dr. Gregory Anderson's Home - Pine Road, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10:30 PM - Friday, July 18th, 1969

Yeager pulled up next to O'Hara's car, where he remained watching the house. There were no lights on within. O'Hara got out and came over.

"Anything interesting happen?" asked Yeager.

"Nah, Lou," said O'Hara. "The last light to go out was in one of the front upstairs windows, probably the master bedroom. That was about an hour ago. She's probably asleep by now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Ok, let's get it over with," said Bill as he climbed out of the car. Joining Hendricks he said, "You get the device back in the drawer and fix the bottom of the desk and I'll keep lookout. If anyone turns up, we tell them we had reports of a prowler and we found the door open. If you just carry what you need, we should be able to get in and out without causing a fuss."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, good idea," said Hendricks.

"I'm going inside too," said Gus Stoker, hefting the toolbox and the scrambler. "I'm the best suited to fix the drawer, but I'll need Jim to repair the lock. Good thing we left the back door unlocked. We'll just have to lock it after we leave."

"O'Hara, keep an eye on the front of the house," said Yeager. "Sergeant Johns and I will stay outside the back door in case we're needed."

The chubby detecive nodded, and the other four men circled around to the rear of the building. Hendricks and Stoker disappeared inside, creeping through the house.

Yeager and Bill waited for about half an hour, and the time passed uneventfully so far.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill stayed in the shadows by the back door. He was acutely uncomfortable with the whole set-up and he just wanted the job over and done with. His mind kept wandering the Mary, wondering how she was getting on with the experiment.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Another half hour passed before Jim and Gus emerged from the back door with the toolbox, locking it behind them. "All set, boss," whispered Gus. "It was a piece of cake for me to fix the bottom of the drawer good as new with the scrambler inside the secret compartment, and Hendricks fixed the lock. They'll be none the wiser."

"Nice work," said Yeager quietly, squinting at his watch in the gloom. "Half past eleven already. Well, the weekend's here. Not too late to get some drinks to celebrate. First let's let O'Hara know the good news. He can continue stakeout duty until he's relieved at midnight."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill felt tired. He'd had a rough night the night before and a long day but he wasn't ready to give up yet. Stifling a yawn, he asked, "Where are we going? I reckon I could manage one before I fall asleep."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's a cop bar in South Philly called McCord's," said Yeager. "We hang out there all the time. You'll like the place. First round's on me. Let me just call into HQ first." He got behind the wheel of the Mustang. Bill rode in the shotgun seat, and Hendricks and Stoker climbed into the back seat. Yeager got on the radio and called in to headquarters. "It's Yeager. We're done out here. You can send the van with the recording gear over to relieve O'Hara. We're going 10-10 now."

"10-4, Lieutenant," came the reply.

Yeager pulled out and started heading south.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill relaxed into his seat. Hanging around the house had been tense and the space between his shoulders ached.

"What's the plan for tomorrow, LT?" he asked Yeager, "Debrief those who were at the experiment tonight and then listen in on Professor Anderson and see what he says to his paymasters?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You got it," said Yeager. "We'll also see if we can track down Brian, pick up his trail again. We know he's supposed to meet those mob guys from New York on the riverfront Saturday night, but we don't know exactly where. We'll have extra patrols around the piers, but that's no guarantee we'll find them. Tomorrow and Sunday are your days off. You don't have to come in, but I'd appreciate your help - and it's a good chance to earn some overtime pay."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Bill yawned but nodded. "Yeah, I've not made any plans so count me in. As long as you don't want me in too early in the morning." Working the extra hours would be tiring but the sooner he sorted out whatever it was that had caused Brian to come after him, the sooner he could get home.

"Do we know anything about the gang members that Brian's meeting on Saturday?" he asked Yeager.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Just what the NYPD told us when you called them on Wednesday," said Yeager.
OOC,Please see [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=83881#p83881]the section starting with this post[/url] and [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=84686#p84686]the posts from this point onwards where you called New York[/url] (it continues onto the next page).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Yeah, yeah," said Bill, rubbing the back of his neck where he could feel a headache coming on, "I definitely need to catch up only sleep!"
OOC,Gosh, has it been four years since we did that part of the investigation....? :o
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeager drove into South Philly and parked near a bar with a neon sign that said "McCord's," where he parked the Mustang and led the way inside. The bar seemed like a bit of a dive, but it looked clean, at least in the dim lighting. The bartender, a bald man in his late fifties, stood behind the counter wiping it with a rag. There were about a dozen patrons seated at the bar and at a couple of tables, all of them men and a few of them in police uniforms. A clock on the wall indicated that it was nearly midnight. There was a pool table, which nobody was currently using, as well as a dartboard. A jukebox stood against one wall, but it wasn't playing anything at the moment.

"Hey, John!" called the barman when Yeager entered. He nodded to the other two men with him and Bill. "Gus, Jim. Who's the new guy?"

"This is Bill Johns, my new sergeant," said Yeager. "Bill, this is Henry. He makes a mean Manhattan."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," Henry said to Bill. "First drink's on the house. What'll you have?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

"Hi Henry," said Bill, taking a seat at the bar. "Nice to make your acquaintance. I'll have a beer, thanks."

He looked around the bar, scoping the place out.

Return to “Space Oddity”