IC-Chapter 2-Did You Ever Have a Dream?(Bill/Barney/Yeager)

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Chapter 2-Did You Ever Have a Dream?(Bill/Barney/Yeag

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," said Harry, accepting the Coke and looking grateful for the distraction.

"Morpheus is what we're testing in this experiment," Dr. Anderson told Barney. "I can't tell you how it's made or what's in it, if that's what you're asking." He then returned his attention to Harry, his eyes narrowing. "Now just how did you get your hands on Morpheus?"

"I...I got confused," said Harry. "I didn't mean Morpheus, I meant...mescal."
OOC,Fast Talk roll (50% skill) for Harry: [dice]0[/dice]
Dr. Anderson softened. "All right, I can see how you can get mixed up. You do seem the type to get easily confused. Excuse me." He moved away and went over to talk to Kathleen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Psychology to identify lying,[dice]0[/dice] -Psychology 50%
Barney watched the doctor walk away, then looked back to Harry.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney figured Harry was lying. He also ascertained either Harry lied because he had unfinished business in this altered state of mind, or the drug was addictive. So he leaned in close to Harry and said quietly, "You tell me the truth and I won't expose your lies to the good doctor and get you thrown out of this experiment."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Look, we're on the same side, man," whispered Harry. "Don't blow my cover. I'm a cop, sent by Lt. Yeager to infiltrate the experiment and look after you. I was undercover arranging the buy when Brian was arrested. That's how the cops knew to burst in and nab him. I accidentally drank the Morpheus that was with the stuff that had been taken from Brian because I didn't know what it was. I thought it was chocolate milk."

Barney got the impression that Harry was sincere about what he was saying now, and it seemed that Dr. Anderson had bought his quick recovery, at least for now. Harry also seemed embarrassed about almost giving himself away.
OOC,[b]Barney[/b], please roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Idea (75%),[dice]0[/dice]
Barney nodded to Harry and said muttering under his breath, "You could have saved us both a bunch of aggravation and let me know that ahead of time..." his comment was more to the police in general, not just to Harry. In a whisper, he said to Harry, "Well, don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. I don't know if they told you my full name, but the doctor has me as Barney Miller... gave him a fake name so he wouldn't get wise - hopefully. Just wanted you to know so you don't accidentally blow my cover too." He said that last part with a quick grin and a wink.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," said Harry.

Barney recalled that he had seen Father Nathaniel Levington, the priest from Harry's dream, when he had visited police headquarters on Wednesday night. He had heard his name when the priest had been talking to the police.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"You know that pastor you made mention of from your dream?" Barney asked Harry. "I've seen him in person... from the police station after Brian was arrested. Did you see him there too?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, I didn't," said Harry. "I wasn't there at the time. So he's a real person? Weird. I wonder if the cat's a real cat too. His name is Snookums."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney shrugged, "Wouldn't know. I don't think they allow cats in the police station, do they?" He scratched his head, "Weird ... real people invading your dreams. I mean, I could understand if you've seen him before. I wonder just how real the whole experience was." He paused and looked at Harry and asked, genuinely concerned about his well being for the first time, "Are we in danger in this experiment?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't know," Harry whispered back, "but maybe. The Lou - er, the lieutenant - told me to look out for you while I'm here. I'll keep you safe."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney had a new reason for being interested in Harry. He urged, "Tell me more about the dream. How much control did you have? Was it someplace you recognized? Did you see anyone or anything else there?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, after I drank the...stuff," said Harry, "I suddenly found myself walking around town, only nobody seemed to notice me. I waved my hands in front of someone, and he just walked right through me! It was like I was invisible. I decided to explore, and I went into this old house where there was a strange stairway going down to the basement. Only it wasn't a basement. The stairs just kept going down and down, hundreds of them. At the bottom of the stairs, there was a huge gate and these - things guarding it. They asked me all kinds of questions I don't remember any more. I'm usually bad at tests, but I must have got them right, because they let me through the gate. I had complete control the whole time, but I don't know where the house was, and once I started down the stairs, I had no idea where I was."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"So you don't even remember drifting off to sleep?" Barney asked curiously. "Must be some heavy depressants in that stuff. When you were walking about, do you remember if you were still dressed the same? Did you take any of your items with you? I mean... if you had a handgun, and that translated into a dream state, perhaps that might be useful against would-be threats?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, I was still wearing the same clothes," said Harry, "and I still had my badge and my gun in the dream. I've got them now, too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney showed a sparkle of hope. "Well... I'm not so fortunate. But I should be able to find something I can use for defense and have it at my bed side, or gripped tightly in my hand." He nodded to Harry, "Ok. I've got some more work ahead of me then before they drug us up." He stood and took his soda with him, looking around for the finer details of what were laying about. He might be able to find a dangerous pair of scissors, or a makeshift club. He wondered if the doctor would make them strip down to a hospital gown for the sake of the experiment. He grabbed his upper arms and decided to pretend he was feeling cold. Perhaps they'd let him go to sleep with his jacket on.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Barney[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Spot Hidden - critical success,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4389348/]Spot Hidden (63%) (1d100=6)[/url]
Barney's eyes land on something interesting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

There was nothing in plain sight in the lab that Barney could see, but as he began to walk around the lab, he noticed that one of the drawers was slightly open. Inside were a number of stainless steel scalpels. While they were not involved in this experiment, this lab was doubtless used for other purposes too, and this was the biomedical building. It was logical that he'd find them here. At the moment everyone else in the lab seemed to be distracted, so he could probably swipe one without anyone noticing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney did indeed grab one... and he grabbed an extra in case he needed to arm someone else once they were in the great beyond. Kneeling down, Barney began to work on his shoelace, untying it and retying it ... and then he stashed the two scalpels into his sock for safe keeping. He hoped he wouldn't accidentally slice an artery - but it seemed the safest place to hide it for the time being.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The scalpels made a slight bulge, but it wouldn't be obvious to anyone. Nobody seemed to be paying any attention to Barney at the moment, so it seemed that he had gotten away with it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Space Oddity”