IC-Chapter 2-Did You Ever Have a Dream?(Bill/Barney/Yeager)

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Chapter 2-Did You Ever Have a Dream?(Bill/Barney/Yeag

Post by Mr. Handy »

Harry shrugged. "Dunno, man," he said. "Guess we'll see. The name's Harry Sawyer." He stuck out his hand.
OOC,It's no problem. There are no other PCs in this thread, so it can proceed at your pace. [b]Kathleen[/b] is a former PC, and while her player did return to the boards, he hasn't taken her back yet. [b]Harry[/b] was initially an NPC that was briefly taken on as a PC, but his player vanished long ago and he is again an NPC.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,so alone.
Barney grabbed Harry's hand and shook it, "Barney," he answered simply then took a seat nearby the TV. "I don't really get much of an opportunity to enjoy the American entertainment, but if all we are doing here is killing time... might as well take advantage of it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The TV finished warming up, and the image on the screen expanded to fill it, showing some sort of Western show starring Robert Conrad.

"Oh, it's The Wild Wild West!" said Harry, grinning. "I love this show. Too bad CBS canceled it, and all because a bunch of idiots say it's too violent. No more new episodes, but at least we still have reruns. What kinds of shows do they have where you're from?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney found a comfortable seat and looked back to Harry answering, "Well, I'm more a radio-kind-of-fellow, but there is some decent broadcasts in the British Telly... Benny Hill and Monty Python come to mind, but I'm afraid they are a bit too brash for the sensitive pallates of you Yankees. There is a science-fiction series called Doctor Who that has caught on quite well. Have you heard of that?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've heard of it," said Harry, "but I don't think they show it here. I like radio more too. I'm really into music. I know the Beatles are British, and they're really cool. But we've got some great American bands too, like the Rolling Stones, and some amazing individual artists, like Elvis and Jimi Hendrix."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney smiled, now delving into a familiar topic. "There are some very talented fellows singing these days. Music is transforming before our eyes with each new singer or group that hits the stage. It is an exciting time for rock-and-roll." He lifted an eyebrow and asked curiously, "What is your favorite song of these new artists?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My favorite?" said Harry, pausing to think. "I guess I'd have to say 'People Are Strange' by The Doors. I've never really fit in, so that song really speaks to me. Say, have you heard that new song by David Bowie, 'Space Oddity'? It was only released a week ago."

Barney had heard it, just a couple of nights ago. It had been playing at Lenny's Bar, when that bizarre incident involving Bill and Brian Anderson had happened. He recalled that Harry had been there too. In fact, he'd been sitting at the table with Brian and taken outside with him when Brian had been arrested.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded, "Oh yes... an interesting song indeed. I know it is about an astronaut, but I can't help but wonder what sort of metaphor they are trying to make with the lyrics." Having reminding himself where he had seen Harry before, he became curious at the man's interest in the experiment. Could he be here for some ulterior motive? "So tell me, Harry... have you been interested in dream research long?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think Space Oddity is about a man who's lost and doesn't know how to get back to where he's from," said Harry, "but in the end he's okay with it. I haven't really given much thought to dream research, but I saw the ad and could really use fifty bucks."
OOC,[b]Barney[/b], please roll Psychology.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Psychology-Failed!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4251701/]Psychology (50%) (1d100=73)[/url]
Barney nodded, then smirked, "Are you sure it's not just because you want a little more of what Brian was peddling?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"More?" said Harry. "How-" He shook his head. "I never even had the chance to buy anything, lucky for me. The fuzz turned me loose afterwards. I wasn't interested in Morpheus, anyhow."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney tilted his head curiously, "Really? Huh... well, forgive me old chap. I merely assumed, since you were sitting with Brian you were also engaging in his wares. So you two were friends then?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, I'd never met him before that night," said Harry. "I was interested in some of the other stuff he had, just not the Morpheus."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney nodded, "Still quite an amazing coincidence, the both of us being here for this after what had happened." He chuckled and stood up, "I'm going to find myself something to drink. Can I get you anything?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," said Harry. "I'll have a Coke, please."

When Barney went over to get some drinks for him and Harry, Dr. Anderson approached Harry and began speaking to him.
OOC,[b]Barney[/b], please roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Sorry buddy - went to InvisibleCastle and the domain has expired. Why don't you feel free to roll for me. Listen 65%.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Barney cocked an ear as Dr. Anderson and Harry began to speak, and he was easily able to overhear their conversation.
OOC,I've activated the dice roller on the boards for the games I run, so if you like you can use that while Invisible Castle is out of commission. [dice]0[/dice]
"Mr. Sawyer?" asked Dr. Anderson.

"Yeah?" said Harry.

"I'd like to hear more about your dreams. Can you recall any recent dreams you've had?" He took out a notepad and a ballpoint pen.

"Yeah, I had a really weird one a couple of nights ago. I can't remember everything about it, but there was this weird critter called a 'zoog' that chased me up a tree, but then I got rescued by a priest and a talking cat, and they scared it off."

"Interesting..." Dr. Anderson scribbled down notes. "What else can you remember about that dream?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney found his own interest piqued. He tried to move closer without seeming so obvious about it so he could continue eavesdropping. He couldn't help but wonder what a zoog looked like, or how this priest and talking cat managed to chase it away.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well," said Harry. "The creature looked like a giant brown rat-like thing with sharp, pointy teeth. Came out of a hole at the base of a tree and came after me. It ran off when the priest and the cat came by, but I think it was mainly scared of the cat. The cat told me his name was Snookums and that the thing was called a zoog. The priest...his name was Levington. Father Nethaniel Levington. I came down from the tree...well, more like I fell out of it, and we traveled through these woods together to a graveyard. That's where we saw this other thing that looked like a man, but with rubbery skin and claws and a canine face. It was digging up a grave and eating part of a body! Snookums called it a ghoul."

"Fascinating," said Dr. Anderson, scribbling faster and with more intensity. "Tell me, did you have anything unusual to eat or drink before you went to sleep?"

"Just some Morpheus," said Harry, without realizing what he was saying. When Anderson's eyes widened, Harry slapped himself on the forehead.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Barney brought back a Coke for Harry and had one for himself as well. He knew Harry told him he wasn't interested in the Morpheus Brian had, now he knew it was a lie. The Morpheus had an effect on people's dreams, making them more vivid and less realistic apparently, and might even be addictive. "Morpheus," Barney repeated as he approached. He eyed Harry a second exchanging a knowing glance, then asked the doctor, "What's Morpheus, doctor?" Quickly, he said to Harry, "I'm sorry for interrupting. Just curious. I can go away if this conversation is somewhat ... delicate."

Return to “Space Oddity”