Character Creation and Discussion

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Character Creation and Discussion

Post by masonstone »

Markus Fletcher
Male
Caucasian

Markus is a Promising young student of Anthropology, first studying in his hometown of Oxford before emigraiting to the United States to find work. Unable to find any job which he was willing to perform he instead aquired a place at the University of Pennsylvania by pretending to have never studied at any other university while paying for his place with a loan which he obtained after assuring the bank in question that not only was he actually rather wealthy but also that his also wealthy father would be willing to invest heavily in their buissiness if they were generous. This is in fact all lies, the same in many ways to the lies that he has told throughout most of his life. He is the illegitamate son of an English student and a much older American serviceman who left her three months into her pregnancy. The English student went on to become a far-left journalist, decrying America as evil with a zeal worthy of any crusader. Her crusade however left to the neglect of her son, who connected to both her and the world only through the multiple masks and personas he wore over his true personality.

Strength: [1,3,4] = (8)
Constitution: [4,6,6] = (16)
Power: [1,6,4] = (11)
Dexterity: [6,6,6] = (18)
Appearance: [4,1,3] = (8)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2231211/

Education: [5,5,5,3] = (18)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2231214/

Intellegence: [6,3,6] = (15)
Size: [4,5,6] = (15)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2231216/

Idea: 75
Knowledge: 90
Luck: 55
DamageBonus: +0
HitPoints: 16
MagicPoints: 11
Sanity: 55

Money: (5)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2234491/

Profession: Drifter – Bargain, Fast Talk, Hide, Listen, Natural History, Psychology, Sneak, Anthropology

360 points

Anthropology (56%)
Bargain (60%)
Fast Talk (65%)
Hide (40%)
Listen (70%)
Natural History (40%)
Psychology (50%)
Sneak (50%)

150 points

Credit Rating (65%)
Drive Automobile (40%)
Fist/Punch (60%)
History (30%)
Kick (30%)
Library Use (30%)
Martial Arts (41%) (Wing Chun, a form of chinese boxing, with a few small kicks mixed in. emphasises structure over power and has strong simarlarities with Tai Chi.)
Persuade (25%)
Own Language (90%) (English)
Dodge (36%)
other stats as standard in call of cthulhu rules

I think thats all in order, I picked a drifter as a profession because that was probably the most fitting to his lifestyle and work as a student
also, as I have most of my combat skills in hand to hand combat, what would a knuckle duster come under as a weapon? what skills might be involved, how much damage, that sort of thing. I only ask because, as a weapon, the knuckleduster suits my character both in its use as a punching aid and how much of a dirty fighting weapon it is.
Last edited by masonstone on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great character! You've overspent by 4 on your occupational points, possibly because Anthropology has a base skill of 1% and you might have thought it was 5% instead. Which Martial Art does Markus practice? Also, you should roll 1d10 for your personal wealth - he might not really be lying about being rich!

There's no entry in the Weapons List, but I'd rule that knuckle dusters use Fist/Punch skill and do 1d4 damage, plus damage bonus (which is 0 in your case), and you can make knockout attempts just as you could with a punch. It cannot be used to parry a weapon, but you can still parry unarmed attacks as normal. You can benefit from Martial Arts with a knuckle duster too. When attacking, you only roll 1d100 once against your Fist/Punch skill (or other unarmed combat skill). If you hit and you also rolled less than or equal to your Martial Arts skill, the damage dice are doubled. So if you're using a knuckle duster, you'd do 2d4 damage on a roll of 1-41, 1d4 damage on a roll of 42-60, and you'd miss on a roll of 61-100.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by masonstone »

the edit has been made, if you need any more information about wing chun there is some here: http://www.hkwingchun.com/ or there is a large number of videos on youtube which depict the martial art.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, you're good to go! The wealth roll means that you have a yearly income of $11,000 (in 1969 dollars). You have assets totalling $55,000. $5,500 is cash in the bank, another $5,500 is in stocks, bonds, and/or something similar (can be converted to cash in 30 days), and the remaining $44,000 is in other assets and personal property. A house could cost $20,000 or more in 1969, so you could have one if you like. You can also afford a nice car. You can live comfortably on your income. While you're not truly rich, you might be able to fake it convincingly.

I'll add a sheet to the Character Sheets thread now. I should be able to get an IC thread started for you tomorrow night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Voodoo »

Remy Leblanc

Sex:Male
Hometown:Lafayette, Louisiana

Stats
HP:12
MP:10

Str:9
Dex:15
Con:11
Int:14
Edu:18
Pow:10
App:16
Siz:12
Know:90
San:50
Luck:50
Idea:70

Occupation Skills:360
Bargain:75%(05),Disguise:66%(01),Fast Talk:75%(05), Handgun:60%(20),Locksmith:51%(01),Sneak:60%(10),Spot Hidden:45%(25),Hide:55%(10)

Personal interests:140
Drive:50%(25), Credit Rating:75%(15), Own Lanuage:90%

Wealth:6

I wanted to post this so you can give your opinion and point out any mistakes. I'll start working on the background tomorrow.
Last edited by Voodoo on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks good!

You actually have 12 HP, not 11. HP is (CON + SIZ) / 2, rounded up. You also have an Idea score of 70, not 60.

You've spent 410 points on your occupational skills, but you've spent 90 on other skills, so the extra 50 points could have come out of your hobby points with no problem. Some of the base skill levels are off, however. The base skill for Locksmith is 01%, and the base skill for Drive Auto is 20%. You may want to adjust your skill totals because of this. If you want to put more points into Locksmith, for instance, you could lower some of your higher skills a little, such as Bargain and Fast Talk.

Your wealth roll means you have a yearly income of $15,000 (in 1969 dollars). You have a total of $75,000 in assets, composed of $7,500 in the bank, $7,500 in stocks, bonds, and the like, and $60,000 in other assets (such as real estate, a house, a car, etc.).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Ooops sorry about that. I just edited it instead of posting it again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, you're all set! Once you get that background written up I'll post your character sheet and get a thread started for you when I get a chance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Remy LeBlanc History

...Remy Leblanc a suave con-artist from Louisiana. Born in 1940, His father was a petty thief and his mother was a prostitute. While growing up he attended school during the day and ran small time scams ,under the careful supervision of his father, at night. At the age of 27, Having learned all he thought he could, Remy decided it was time to make his own way in the world. After buying an apartment in downtown Lafayette he spent the next 2 years running cons on some of the most influential members of Lafayette society. Unfortunately Remy, Having been used to his marks being to embarrassed to admit to being scammed, was unprepared when he met someone who did report him. So, being a wanted man, Remy, like any good grifter, packed his things and hit the road.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Your character sheet is up, and you'll be in the thread Telling Lies with Markus Fletcher to start. Begin reading the thread from this post, and do not read any of the posts above it. Remy was in this location when Markus walked in, and he observed the same things. Once you've finished reading the thread, you can go ahead and start posting.

You'll probably also want a handgun for your character, which is fine, provided it's a model that existed in 1969 (so no Glock 17 or Desert Eagle). If you don't know which model you want, let me know what caliber handgun you want and whether it's a revolver or an automatic, and I'll find a suitable model for you and tell you its stats.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

i'll take an .45 automatic.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That'll be a Colt M1911A1, then. It does 1d10+2 damage, has a base range of 15 yards, fires one shot per round, holds seven rounds in the magazine (plus potentially one in the chamber), has 8 HP, and malfunctions only on 00.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Oddly enough I just found out the pic I used is the actor who plays gambit in the new x-men movie. Oh yeah and gambits real name is Remy LeBeau. now thats what I call a coincidence.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That is funny. I noticed a similar coincidence with one of the characters I created for Zombie Apocalypse. I came up with Ho Nguyen's name by combining common Vietnamese first and last names. It turns out there's an actor by that name who was in a movie called Alamo Bay that I noticed in the TV listings.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ricardo Azuul
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years

Post by Ricardo Azuul »

Handy,

For Space Oddity I'd like to select Detective Harry Sawyer, despite the fact that I am apparently unable to actually find his character sheet. Just thought it'd be nice to play a bloke, seeing as how I'm playing two members of the fairer sex in Zombie Apocalypse ;).

Cheers,

Richard
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You've got him! You couldn't find his character sheet because I hadn't posted it. While he was an NPCs, there was no need. I do have it written down on paper, and I'll put it up when I have a chance tomorrow night.

Catching up on Harry's story so far may be a little tricky and confusing, but it's a fun ride. You'll need to start by reading the Prologue thread Rebel Rebel, but only the first page. Then you'll need to switch to Time WIll Crawl, starting from this post most of the way down page 2. Don't read anything that happened before it in that thread, and disregard Bill's inner thoughts - your character has no knowledge of these things. Then read up to and including the fifth post on page 4 of that thread, but no further. At this point, you'll need to switch to the Chapter 1 thread Holy Holy, starting at this post near the top of page 2. I'll send you a PM tomorrow night explaining what happened to you between those two threads. Read that thread to the end; that's the one where you'll be posting.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nice! You can post the rest of your character creation work in this thread when you have time. Don't forget that for every full 10 years older than the minimum age that you make your character (age 15 is the minimum for EDU 9), you get +1 EDU, along with the extra 20 occupational skill points and +5 in Know and Own Language that go with it. I recommend that you do this and make your character at least 25 (if not older). You wouldn't have been able to make Detective until you were at least 20 anyway. Remember that you must deduct points from your physical stats if you make your character 50 years old or more. Also, you'll need to roll 1d10 for your personal wealth.

There are full character creation instructions on the first post in this thread. I can also answer any questions you may have.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
zerostate
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 13 years

Post by zerostate »

Okay, I reckon I'm done...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3022179/ Wealth roll.

Name Jim Hendricks
Occupation Police Detective
Age 45
Wealth 8

STR 15
CON 8
POW 11
DEX 12
APP 12
SIZ 11
INT 12
EDU 12

Idea 60
Luck 55
Know 60

Hit Points 10

Occupational Skills
Bargain 25
Fast Talk 45
Law 40
Listen 50
Persuade 50
Psychology 40
Spot Hidden 50
Handgun 45

Hobby Skills
Shotgun 70
First Aid 50
Drive Auto 60
Locksmith 21

Hendricks joined the police at the end of the War – which he spent as a private at a supply depot Stateside. He's worked his way up to detective the hard way, and resents the college boys who are beginning to dominate his chosen career. He knows he's going nowhere, despite being competent at his job... And those rumours of him being on the take haven't helped.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Excellent! Your character is ready to go. This weekend I should have time to add his character sheet to the Character Sheets thread and start up an IC thread for you. In the meantime, you can post and chat in The Groovy Psychedelic Chit-Chat Lounge. You may also read this post and the four that follow it. They detail what happened at roll call this morning, and you were present there, though you weren't explicitly named in the posts. You're assigned to C Squad. You were already off duty when the events of the night before happened, so you aren't aware of them beyond what you were told at this briefing. Other than those posts above, you may only read IC threads when your character is in them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Space Oddity”