Character Creation and Discussion

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Character Creation and Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

Your character sheet is now posted. You are armed with a standard police issue .38 revolver, and you have extra bullets to reload it as well. You do not currently have a shotgun, but you would be able to get access to one in a situation that calls for it. While most of the other cops have had some shotgun training, none of them even come close to your skill, so if only one were available it would most likely end up in your hands.

I plan to start you off with a thread for your character tonight, if not sooner. Once it's up, you may post in it when you're ready. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sorry, but I ran out of time before I could finish your new thread, so it will have to wait until Monday night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
zerostate
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by zerostate »

No problem.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, you're all set. Your new thread is called Watch That Man.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
MLKane
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by MLKane »

I'll have Sergeant Charlie Rawlings please :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You've got him! :) You'll need to do some catching up, and I'll have to set up a current thread for him when I have a chance. It's a little complicated since he's been an NPC for so long. I'll send you a PM with details that Charlie knows and a list of what threads you should read.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In addition to the threads I gave you to read to catch up for Charlie that covered Wednesday, there are certain posts that you'll need to read to find out what he's been doing today (Thursday) in the thread Big Brother. You should start reading here (the last post on page 6) and continue through the first five posts on page 8, where Bill and Lt. Yeager leave. Then skip ahead to this post on page 9, where they speak on the radio briefly. They do so again in this post on page 10. Then you'll pick up starting with this post on page 11 and continue until the post where Bill leaves further down the page. You should also read the posts on page 2 of Watch That Man starting here and continuing with the next three posts for another radio conversation. Once you've caught up and I post an IC thread for Charlie, you'll be free to post. You'll be on your own at first and there might not be much to do until the others get there.

EDIT: Your IC thread is up now. There is an NPC for you to converse with while you wait if you wish.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DogJones
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by DogJones »

I wanted to roll first before I came up with a character. As such, I just used my username (DogJones) to mark the rolls I made on invisiblecastle.com. If this isn't acceptable, I'll start over and do it properly.
Here are the rolls I got:
Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3395710/
3d6 → [1,1,4] = (6)
3d6 → [1,2,6] = (9)
3d6 → [5,4,2] = (11)
3d6 → [5,6,3] = (14)
3d6 → [3,3,3] = (9)

Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3395714/
2d6+6 → [2,4,6] = (12)
2d6+6 → [2,5,6] = (13)

Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3395715/
3d6+3 → [1,6,2,3] = (12)
Note: I accidently forgot to change the "number of rolls field" from 2 to 1 when I rolled EDU. I took the first roll, which also happened to be higher by 1 point. Let me know if you want me to re-roll, sorry! I also typed the note wrong, but I don't think that matters too much.

Roll 1d10 to determine personal wealth.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3395716/
1d10 → [2] = (2)

Let me know what you think Mr Handy. In the meantime, I'm gonna come up with a character concept based off these rolls.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's fine, and you can keep those rolls. Take whatever time you need to develop and build your character, and when it's done I'll introduce you into the game as soon as I can. Welcome aboard!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DogJones
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by DogJones »

Mr Handy, one last thing: how can I know what to specify in my character's back-story to facilitate his entry into the story-line? Can I just wing it? I have an idea, but I wasn't sure if what I had in mind would be applicable at all to the story. The character I have in mind is a ~28 year old free lance journalist, but I wasn't sure what to say in his back-story that would lead him into the story. For example, if I were to say in my back-story that the character currently lives in San Fransisco, but the action in the story is taking place in New York, that would probably be a hindrance. Sorry if this a silly question, I really am new to this sort of role-playing!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's okay, that's a good question. Don't worry about your backstory fitting you into the story. I'll get you involved. Just make the character you want.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Ok, Handy... you know I'm a big fan of your games ... so I'll be all too glad to grab up one of your abandoned characters and throw the defibrillator on him or her. I'm pleased that you're only in chapter 1 of the game... that means not a whole lot of back-reading. So tell me, of the characters that are abandoned, are any more important to the story than others? Any that you would prefer I take the reigns? Or are they all pretty much on even grounds as far as that goes? And which ones are abandoned?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, and welcome to Space Oddity! All of the characters except Bill Johns and Father Nathaniel Levington are up for grabs. They're all listed in the Character Sheets thread. You can really choose any of them that you like, or you can make your own and I'll introduce you to the story, which would probably be easier for both of us. Officer Amy Cooper is also available, though her sheet hasn't been posted yet. If you want to get involved with one of the active players quickly, you should take Barney Brainstorm. Otherwise, you may be on your own for some time (apart from NPCs). If you're taking over an abandoned character, you can let me know which one by posting here. I'll tell you which threads to read, and I'll also fill in any extra information that your character should have that isn't in the IC threads. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

I decided to go with the investigator with the highest POW. .. and that's (perhaps ironically) Barney Brainstorm.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

So I'm bouncing some ideas around for my Investigator. I'm thinking former military intelligence officer (via ROTC) who became a librarian after serving his contract. I'm trying to think of what the right blend of occupational skills would be to best reflect that, since he would have spent as much time in the military as he would have working in the library. I'll just throw up the bare bones for now so you can see and I can bounce some ideas around.

Here is my invisible castle look up: http://invisiblecastle.com/search/?sear ... chard+Cane

Name: Richard Cane
Occupation: Librarian (Ex-Marine Intelligence Officer Rank: Major)

Wealth: $7,000 /year
Assets: $35,000 in assets total.
$3,500 in the bank
$3,500 in bonds
$20,000 Single-family-sized home in Philadelphia near his job
$4,000 Brand new Pontiac Grand Prix
$2,000 in Gold and Silver coins/bars
$1,000 in books for his home library (subjects are usually to Richard's varied tastes)
$1,000 in various personal possessions

STR: 13
CON: 14
POW: 16
DEX: 15
APP: 8

SIZ: 14
INT: 14

EDU 15 (14 +1 for more than 10 years over minimum age)

Idea: 70
Luck: 80
Know: 75

Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 16
Sanity Points: 80

Damage Bonus: +1d4

Starting Occupational Points: 300
Starting Hobby Points: 140

Skills:(Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT.

Accounting (10%): 40%
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
.Astronomy (01%): 25%
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):60%
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2): 30%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):50%
Electronics (01%):40%
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
.History (20%):50%
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%): 75%
Listen (25%):40%
Locksmith (01%):
.Martial Arts (Boxing) (01%): 35%
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
.Occult (05%): 25%
Operate Heavy Machinery (01%):
Other Language: Korean (01%):45%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 75
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):40%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
.Fist/Punch (50%): 60%
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%): 40%
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%): 35%
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Possessions:

1969 Pontiac Grand Prix
Colt M1911 Handgun - Registered and Permit to carry. (I'd prefer him to keep the one from his time in the service, but I think the US military ended that by Vietnam - perhaps it was presented as a gift with his medals)
Standard journal

Other than these nothing else special he might own or carry with him.
Last edited by CrackheadC. on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

I'm thinking for Occupational skills it should be:
Accounting
Computer Use
Library use
Spot hidden
Listen
Rifle
Handgun
Electronics
Electronic Repair
History
Other Language

For the best blend of his military career skills and what he would be doing in a library. If you have suggestions of anything that should be added/dropped I'd appreciate it.
Cyberpunk
Layman
Layman

Post by Cyberpunk »

This is what I have for my character. I finished the background, characteristics, and skill allocation. I have not completed his equipment yet.

I Rolled 3d6 once and then realized I could roll multiple Dice. So I have two links for my 3d6 rolls. Hopefully that is alright. The links are below:

Here

And Here

Below are the Int and Size Rolls

Here

The edu roll is here

Lastly, the wealth roll is here

Player: Cyberpunk
Name: Professor Christopher Harland
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Background:

Born to Alexandria and Davison Harland in Atlanta, Georgia, , a wealthy family, Christopher received excellent education at a younger age, attending a private school. As a shrewd child, he had little difficulties with the educational challenges provided. Unfortunately he was born as a rather unappealing child, appearance wise, with an oversized nose and rather large ears, resulting in constant mockery that turned him into somewhat of a misanthrope. His intellect further alienated him from children of his age, even in an environment as exclusive as a private school. Despite his almost humorous appearance, he was rather skilled with words, a talent without which the cruel, whimsical bullying of the children would have been all the worse.

Thankfully, due to his father's influence, Davison did not serve in the military during World War I. His mother, a talented doctor, served overseas in a Prisoner of War camp, ensuring that the prisoners were treated well and received proper health care. He graduated the Georgian private school as a valedictorian in 1926, opening the pathway to further education. In 1927, he was accepted into the Georgia School of Technology, where he chose to pursue Astronomy and Physics. Due to his father's terminal illness, Christopher took leave from the School of Technology for a year and did not complete his degree, Physics, until 1932. During his time at home, his father succumbed to the illness. The grief did not slow him down, for he continued his education and in 1934, received his PhD in Physics, again with a specialization in Astrophysics. He received a teaching and research position at the Georgia School of Technology, where he indulged in Einstein’s research regarding the Theory of Relativity.

In 1950s, many years after the war ended, Christopher continued his research in West Germany for several years, gaining a basic understanding of the German language. Unfortunately he could not bear the constant threat he felt, the fear of an offensive by the Soviet Union, so he returned to Georgia in 1955. In 1960, after a disagreement with his co researchers regarding Einstein’s Field Equation, he searched for a position in another University. He was accepted as a teacher and researcher into the University of Pennsylvania. For nine years he worked there, continuing his research, which had now extended to a study of black holes.

Characteristics:
STR: 10 (12 - 2 for Age)
CON: 12
SIZ: 12
DEX: 14
APP: 8
INT: 18 (Idea - 90)
POW: 10(Luck - 50)
EDU: 19 (Know - 95) (15 + 4 for Age)

Sanity: 50
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 10
Damage Bonus: +0

Skills: (Occupational skills are bold. Hobby skill are marked with a *)

Accounting: 10%
Anthropology: 01%
Archaeology: 01%
Art: 05%
Astronomy: (01)% - 71%
Bargain: 05%
Biology: 01%
Chemistry: 01%
Climb: 40%
*Computer Use: (01%) - 41%
Conceal: 15%
Craft: 05%
Credit Rating: (15%) - 65%
Cthulhu Mythos: 00%
Disguise: 01%
Dodge (Dex x2%)
*Drive Automobile/Horses: (20%) - 50%
Electric Repair: 10%
* Electronics: (01%) - 30%
Fast Talk: 05%
First Aid: 30%
Fist/Punch: 50%
Geology: 01%
Grapple: 25%
*Handgun: (20%) - 60%
Head Butt: 10%
Hide: 10%
*History: (20%) - 30%
Jump: 25%
Kick: 25%
Law: 05%
Library Use: (25%) - 65%
Listen: 25%
Locksmith: 01%
Machine Gun: 15%
Martial Arts: 01%
Mechanical Repair: 20%
Medicine: 05%
*Natural History: (10%) - 40%
Navigate: 10%
Occult: 05%
Operate Heavy Machine: 01%
Other Language (German): (01%) - 51%
Own Language: Edu x5%
Persuade: (15%) - 65%
Pharmacy: 01%
Photography: 10%
Physics: (01%) - 61%
Pilot: 01%
Psychoanalysis: 01%
Psychology: (05%) - 65%
Ride: 05%
Rifle: 25%
Shotgun: 30%
Sneak: 10%
Spot Hidden: 25%
Submachine Gun: 15%
Swim: 25%
Throw: 25%
Track: 10%
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Your characters look good. Cyberpunk, it looks like you've only spent 179 of your 180 hobby points, so please let me know into which skill you want to put the extra point. You should also come up with a list of equipment you'd like to have.

It'll still be some time before I can get the new players started and post the new characters' sheets, as I haven't had much sleep in the past week and can't think clearly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cyberpunk
Layman
Layman

Post by Cyberpunk »

Alright, I'll get that done tomorrow - sorry for the delay. I haven't had access to my book.
Cyberpunk
Layman
Layman

Post by Cyberpunk »

Putting the additional skill point in History.

Here is a list of the Equipment I’d like to have. Do you want me to calculate the costs?

Tailored Silk Suit, Silk Tie, Thermal Underwear, Leather Docksider Shoes, Local Telephone Service, Pager, Apartment, Adhesive Bandages (100), Complete First Aid Kit, Good Book Bag, Scientific Calculator, .44 Magnum and 50 bullets

Return to “Space Oddity”