Character Creation and Discussion

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Character Creation and Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

You don't need to calculate the costs, but you do need to make sure that everything on your list is available in 1969. The first scientific calculator, the HP-9100A, came out in 1968. You can have one of those if you like, but it's too big to fit in your hand or pocket. It's the sort of thing that would go on your desk. It cost about $5,000, which is a big expense, but your character can afford to have one and it would be useful in your career. It is effectively a computer, but it was marketed as a "desktop calculator" because HP thought people wouldn't want a computer if it didn't look like an IBM. Pagers existed as well, though they'll be a lot simpler than they are these days. Everything on your list looks okay. Note that the .44 Magnum has a lower base skill (by 5 points), so your effective Handgun skill with it will be 55%.

I should be able to get both of you started this weekend. I plan to have your characters start together.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

CrackheadC. and Cyberpunk, I finally got your character sheets written up and posted and started a thread for the two of you: The Cygnet Committee. You can start posting any time you're ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cyberpunk
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years

Post by Cyberpunk »

Thanks! I'll post once I wake up.
tatteredking
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by tatteredking »

Mr. Handy, does the offer still hold?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, absolutely! I got your PM. The very first post in this thread has full, step by step instructions for creating your own character, though you're free to take over one of the abandoned characters in the character sheets thread if you prefer. This game takes place in mid-July of 1969 in Philadelphia. If there's any background information you'd like about the setting or any particular questions you have, feel free to ask here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
tatteredking
Layman
Layman

Post by tatteredking »

alright, let me see here, I rolled some stats up yesterday. Let me see what I can com up with.

Strength (3d6=8) = 8
Con (3d6=14) = 14
POW (3d6=12) = 12
DEX (3d6=7) = 7
APP (3d6=16) = 16
Size (2d6+6=14) = 14
Int (2d6+6=15) = 15
EDU (3d6+3=11) = 11
Wealth (1d10=10) = 10

OK so the 10 wealth has thrown me. I'll have to see how I can work that in to the working class stiff I had in mind. Maybe he interited, or found the leprechaun's pot of gold, or is on the payroll of the local Mafia....Hmm...

OK, so how about something along the lines of a building inspector, being paid off by the Mafia. He not only turns a blind eye to certain things he has seen, but also assists in helping them to design 'hidden' locations. He doesn't trust the banks and has his cash secreted in various places...basement of his home, secret safes in other buildings, buried under the floorboards of an abandoned cabin in the woods. He's afraid people are going to figure out he is on the payroll, so lives in a dump house in North Philly. It's actually his parent's house. His father died of lung cancer (asbestiosis). His mother is still alive, lives with him, and is crazy. (Why? That's up to you ;) )

Unless I hear a no from you, I will go with that, and will build. The first 5 stats are going to be changed around a bit. Just need to know what Occupation to select. Maybe Engineer?

Did I see something about 1969 Wealth being equal to Present Day/5?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That character concept sounds good to me. Yes, 1969 wealth is equal to present day wealth divided by 5. I think I mentioned it in the initial post in this thread. Engineer is a good occupation template. The skills are: Chemistry, Electrical Repair, Geology, Library Use, Mechanical Repair, Operate Heavy Machine, Physics, and one other skill of your choice as a personal or era specialty.

Interestingly, building inspectors in Philadelphia have been notoriously corrupt in the past (maybe the present as well, but I have no firsthand knowledge). Most of them don't usually make as much as your character does, but being on the mob's payroll has its advantages.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
tatteredking
Layman
Layman

Post by tatteredking »

yeah, that roll threw me.
tatteredking
Layman
Layman

Post by tatteredking »

Dave Schmidt
STR: 12 CON: 16 SIZ: 14 INT: 15 POW: 14 DEX: 7 APP: 8 EDU: 13 SAN: 70 (0/10)
Idea: 75 Luck: 750 Know: 65 Damage Bonus: +1d40 Hit Points: 15 (0/15) Magic Points: 14

Birthplace: Laporte, Pennsylvania
Skills: Bargain 25%, Chemistry 1%, Conceal 37%, Electrical Repair 75%, Fast Talk 35%, Geology 15%, English 65%, German 20%, Library Use 35%, Locksmith 20%, Mechanical Repair 75%, Operate Heavy Machinery 38%, Persuade 35%, Physics 15%, Spot Hidden 45%, Structural Repair 75%
Money: $100,000 a year with $500,000 in assets. Assets include his shitty house in North Philly , his ancestral home outside Laporte, PA near Worlds End Park, several boltholes around Philly, and stashed cash. Very little of his assets are in the bank, as he doesn't trust them.

Background: Dave Schmidt was born and raised in Laporte, PA. The family farm, which backed up to World's End Park, had been in his family for almost 200 years. Dave never graduated from High School, but instead joined the Army,, doing 10 years in the Corp of Engineers. Even without a High School degree, Dave learned all he could about building and repairing structures, vehicles and more. After retiring from the military, he moved to Philadelphia, purchasing a small house in a skeevy neighborhood in the north end. 5 years ago, his father passed away from lung cancer. His mother, always slightly off, moved to Philadelphia so Dave could take care of her. Dave still maintains the deed to the family farm in Laporte, and visits the place several times a year.

Dave works as a building inspector for the City. He rapidly found out that it didn't pay a lot, so when the local mafia tried to buy him, he accepted. He not only turns a blind eye to certain things he has seen, but also assists in helping them to design 'hidden' locations. He doesn't trust the banks and has his cash secreted in various places...basement of his home, secret safes in other buildings, buried under the floorboards of an abandoned cabin in the woods. He's afraid people are going to figure out he is on the payroll, so lives in a dump house in North Philly.

His mother, Gitta, has been going downhill rapidly over the last couple years. While her body is strong, her mind is not faring so well. She talks about seeing things that aren't there, occasilanlly thinks Dave is his father, and rants in German and other languages that Dave doesn't understand.
Last edited by tatteredking on Fri May 31, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Nice! You've underspent on skill points, however, so you should spend the rest of them to increase your skills and/or to pick up new ones. By my count you've spent 195 occupational skill points on the seven skills I listed, but I can't be sure which of your skills is your eighth occupational skill. However, you have 260 total occupational points to spend (EDU x 20). You also have a total of 150 hobby skill points available (INT x 10), but you've only spent a total of 140 on all of your other skills, including whichever occupational skill you chose. This means you have an additonal 75 skill points to spend. 65 of them, minus however many you've spent on your eighth skill, need to go into occupational skills only, but the rest are hobby points and can be spent on any skills.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
tatteredking
Layman
Layman

Post by tatteredking »

Chemistry is the eight occupational skill. I don't have anything in it. I don't see him using it.

AH! 8th skill is Structural Repair ay 75%, so there is the 65 points there...now what did I miss in Hobbies.

Hmm, I used HeroLab and it usually is spot on for such things...Let me check. Maybe I missed something.

Hobby Skills
Bargain +20
Conceal +22
Fast Talk +30
Locksmith +19
Persuade +20
Spot Hidden +20
German +19

Adds to be 150?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, it looks like everything adds up. Your character's all set. I should be able to post a sheet for him on the character sheets thread and get an IC thread started for him later this weekend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Your character sheet is posted, and your thread (Criminal World) is up and running. You may post there whenever you are ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ZeekLen
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Post by ZeekLen »

George Kling Beaukouski "Cheese Burger"
STR: 11 CON: 12 SIZ: 12 INT: 12 POW: 13 DEX: 7 APP: 9 EDU: 11 SAN: 65
Idea: 60 Luck: 65 Know: 55 Damage Bonus: +0 Hit Points: 12 Magic Points: 13

Birthplace: West Philadelphia
Skills: Art(Freestyle Poetic Verse)-15% Bargain-25% Fast Talk-65% Listen-45% Persuade-70% Psychology-60% Spot Hidden-50% Switchblade-50% Headbutt-35% Hide-35% Lockpick-21%

Appearance- Physically George is an average looking young man not yet quiet able to grow a full beard but with a wild head of dark hair and halfway decent sideburns. He wears a long-sleeved tie-dye shirt that has the phrase "God is Love" painted on the front in psychedelic letters paired with a denim vest complete with tassels and a patch with an swooping eagle and the word "Free" embroidered on the back. His jeans are not bell-bottoms as could be expected but instead they are more than possibly a size or two too small and a week or two passed when they should have been last washed, they are ripped and frayed on the right knee. He wears a ragged pair of Chuck Taylor All-Star sneakers. He smells of cannabis and his eyes frequently have a glazed over look in them.

Background: George is the illegitimate child of Molly Beaukouski a 3rd generation american polish cocktail waitress and Vincent George Kling a well known architect. His father paid under the table child support to his mother until he was 18. After that his mother kicked him out of the house due to his lifestyle choices. George dropped out of school not because he didn't enjoy it, he truly felt he could learn more from experiencing life first hand, to become a part of this cultural movement while it lasted. Maybe it was seeing the marches and protests on the television, or maybe it was the records that he listened too, music that seemed to flow so freely and without traditional barriers, maybe it was the use of "mind-expanding" drugs that made George feel as if he finally understood what this game he was playing was really all about, whatever it was that inspired him George had become a hippie. He walked the streets during the day, sometimes with friends, begging for change or food any kind of handout they could get, really. George was genuinely good at this due to his sunny demeanor and the fact that his life style really did fulfill him. He would ask people for a few nickels and dimes to get a cheese burger, then as the sun went down he would go get that hot juicy cheese burger and take the rest of the money he scraped together that night and get into some fun. Most nights he would find his way into various live musical shows. He rarely paid, either talking his way in or finding another entrance. Once inside he would make friends, enjoy the peace and free-love, and take "mind-expanding" drugs.

Contacts- George knows many musicians and dozens of other like minded hippies. He knows enough friendly people that he rarely sleeps outdoors and when he does he never sleeps alone.
Last edited by ZeekLen on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nyarlathotep
Sefetju tehemy buyetyen."
-The Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks good! There's only one thing that needs to be fixed. You've spent a total of 350 skill points, but you only have 340 to spend (120 hobby skill points and 220 occupational skill points). Please let me know where you want to deduct the ten extra points. Also, please let me know which of the skills you've selected are occupational skills.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ZeekLen
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Post by ZeekLen »

I took 5 from Persuade and 5 from Phycology.

Occupation Hippy I adapted from the Jazz Musician occupation from the 1920's players manual II
Arts, Bargain, Fast talk, Listen, Persuade, Phycology
My hobby skills are Spot Hidden-50% Switchblade-50% Headbutt-35% Hide-35% Lockpick-21%
"Nyarlathotep
Sefetju tehemy buyetyen."
-The Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! I've added your character sheet, and I've also started a thread for you (An Occasional Dream).

Your character knows Barney Brainstorm, since they're both in the music scene, though they have very different attitudes towards drugs. You'll start out on your own, however.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Space Oddity”