Character Creation and Discussion

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

mikc
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: Character Creation and Discussion

Post by mikc »

Barney Brainstorm

Musician Born 1943

Dagon, promotional photo 1966 (Barney Brainstorm far right).

Str: 13
Con:12
Siz: 10
Dex:13
App: 10
Int: 16 Idea: 80,
POW:16 Luck: 80
Edu: 14 Know: 70

SAN: 80
HP: 11
MP: 16

Skills

Art - Keyboards: 70%
Bargain (05%): 30
Dodge (DEX×2): 26%
Electronics: 71%
Library Use (25%): 55%
Listen (25%): 65%
Occult (05%): 65%
Own Language (EDU×5%): 70%
Persuade (15%): 55%
Physics: 41%
Psychology (05%): 45%
Spot Hidden (25%): 55%

Born Bernard Braithwaite into a working-class British family, a talent for music and, later, electronics and physics soon saw Barney studying applied physics and computer-assisted audio development at U.M.I.S.T. in Manchester.
Completing his degree, Barney tried out jobs at IBM and in the University but, soon bored by the staid atmoshere in early 60s Manchester, moved to San Francisco in 1964.
Hanging around with the Beatnik scene, Barney became involved in music and the counter-culture, later organising multimedia "Acid Test" shows at the Winterland and Fillmore, whilst playing keyboards and synthesiser in "Thee Elder Godds" (later: "Dagon"), an eclectic and changing mix of musicians and poets who did the rounds of the "Happenings" and festivals in the Bay area.

Thee Elder Gods, ca 1965. Barney Brainstorm far left

Following a breakdown at a concert whilst under the influence of hallucinogens, Barney spent some weeks in a sanitorium. Coming out, he distanced himself from the scene mentally and physically, moving to Philadelphia and concentrating on meditation and solo music projects.

A talented, innovative musician, his work has been commissioned for film soundtracks and he is a studio stalwart. He has a current income of $15,000 p.a. and $150,000 saved or invested in studio equipment and a small ranch outside of town.
Last edited by mikc on Sun May 10, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks good, we just have a few things to fix. By my count you've only spent 279 of your 280 occupational skill points, and only 129 of your 160 hobby points. This gives you 1 extra occupational point and 31 extra hobby points, so please spend them. The only other thing you need to do is to roll 1d10 to find out your wealth. The actual dollar amounts will be taken from the present day table and divided by 5 to adjust for 1969 prices.

I'll start you out in the thread Rebel Rebel. We can assume your character was present the whole time but hasn't said or done anything until now. You can go ahead and read the whole thread, and then post when you're ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, thanks. You're good to go!

I'll update all of the threads later tonight, and I'll post a character sheet for Barney too if I have time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I finally got a characer sheet posted for Barney Brainstorm in the Character Sheets thread.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Midnightlight »

Hi again.

After a brief look at two characters I saw (Alan Gains and John Hawkes), I thought of bringing something of my own to the table.

I was wondering what I would have to go about if I were to make a "gentlemen thief" character (if it is at all possible)?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Glad you decided to join, Midnightlight! Yes, it is possible for you to play a gentleman thief. You should use the Criminal list of occupational skills. If you don't have the rules, I can look them up after I get home. In the meantime, feel free to roll your stats as described in the first post of this thread and think of your character's background story.

Once we've finalized your character, I'll post a sheet in the Character Sheets thread and start an In Character thread for you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

I was wondering what I would exactly be able to do, and what I would be able to choose from as far as skills are defined. Could I pick skills as I see fit, or is it better to go with the set list?

And I don't have the rules. =P

EDIT:

I also did my rolls, but I'm not exactly happy about them. What can I do about it?

Name: Terrance Luis Williams

Stats

STR: (1d6 → [6] = (6), 1d6 → [2] = (2), 1d6 → [2] = (2)) 10

CON: (1d6 → [6] = (6), 1d6 → [4] = (4), 1d6 → [4] = (4)) 14

POW: (1d6 → [3] = (3), 1d6 → [6] = (6), 1d6 → [1] = (1)) 10

DEX: (1d6 → [2] = (2), 1d6 → [4] = (4), 1d6 → [3] = (3)) 9

APP: (1d6 → [4] = (4), 1d6 → [3] = (3), 1d6 → [4] = (4) 11

SIZ: (1d6+6 → [4,6] = (10), 1d6+6 → [4,6] = (10)) 20

INT: (1d6+6 → [2,6] = (8), 1d6+6 → [2,6] = (8)) 16

EDU: (1d6+3 → [5,3] = (8), 1d6+3 → [4,3] = (7), 1d6+3 → [1,3] = (4))

Wealth: (1d10 → [1] = (1)) 1
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Don't worry about not having the rules; I didn't have them myself when I first started playing. You can find the Quick Start rules here, which should help you get a basic understanding of them, and I can fill you in on anything else you need to know.

Your stats, as you've rolled them, are as follows:
STR: 10
CON: 14
POW: 10
DEX: 9
APP: 11
SIZ: 14
INT: 8
EDU: 13

You accidentally counted the +6 and +3 multiple times for SIZ, INT, and EDU, so here are the corrected values. They're actually not that bad. The average total for stats is 92, and you got a total of 89, which is only a little below average, not bad enough to warrant a reroll. Stats in Call of Cthulhu aren't all that important anyway, and you can still do plenty of things even with low stats (sometimes it's even more fun). That said, there are still things you can do about it. Your first five stats, which were rolled on 3d6, may be swapped around at will. This means you can choose where you whether to put that 14 in STR, CON, POW, DEX, or APP. You could leave it in CON, which is not necessarily a bad choice. As a thief you might want it in DEX, but even with a low DEX you can still do fine, as the only skill that depends on DEX is Dodge. POW is also just all-around useful, for starting Sanity, Luck, and Magic Points. MPs probably won't be too important, at least not yet, but the others are nice to have. You can also decide whether to leave the 14 in SIZ and the 8 in INT, or to swap them. You'll probably want to do that, as having a high INT can be useful. It can also be detrimental, as it makes it more likely for you to go into temporary insanity if you lose a lot of Sanity points at once. Likewise, SIZ is nice both for extra Hit Points and also the possibility of a damage bonus. However, having a low SIZ may be helpful for slipping into and out of places where normal-sized people can't fit. Your EDU cannot be switched with another stat, but it can be raised. Your minimum age is EDU+6, so your character must be at least 19 years old. For every full 10 years older you make him, you gain +1 EDU (along with an extra 20 occupational skill points and the increase in your Know score and Own Language skill). So if you make him 29, your EDU is 14. If you make him 49, it goes way up to 16. You can make him even older than that, but for every full 10 years above 40 (that is, starting at age 50), you must deduct 1 point from your choice of STR, CON, DEX, or APP. Keep in mind that if you make your character 49 and this game turns into a campaign that goes on long enough, he will turn 50 at some point in 1970 and suffer a -1 to one of his physical stats. Your wealth roll stands as it is. You're not the only one who's poor, but it's not that big an obstacle - especially for someone in your profession. You can always do a little extra work in the game to supplement your income. Anything you steal is yours - just don't get caught!

Once you've decided on your stats, you now get to spend skill points. You get EDU x 20 in occupational skill points and INT x 10 in hobby points (another advantage of having a high INT). Occupational skill points must be spent on the eight or so skills that fit your, ahem, line of work, but hobby points may be spent on any skills you like. Your occupational skills are: Bargain(05%), Disguise(01%), Fast Talk(05%), Handgun(20%), Locksmith(01%), Sneak(10%), Spot Hidden(25%), and any one other skill as a personal or era specialty. The numbers in parentheses are the base levels for each skill, and spending points adds to those base levels. For instance, if you spend 50 occupational points on Sneak, it goes up to 60%. You do not have to spend points on all eight of your skills, and doing so will mean you won't have as many points to spend on each individual skill. It all depends on what type of thief you want to be. With 13 EDU, you get 260 points to spend. For every point you increase your EDU through age, you get another 20 points (so at 16 EDU, you have 320 points to spend). The eighth skill is yours to choose; just pick something appropriate to a thief. The full list of skills (and their base levels) is available in the Quick Start rules, in the blank character sheets, but some suggestions are as follows:
  • Climb: if you want to be a "second story man"
  • Conceal: for hiding objects, either on your person or elsewehere
  • Credit Rating: for a "con artist" type
  • Drive Auto: if you want to make a fast getaway, or if what you're stealing happens to be a car
  • Hide: Sneak will help you avoid being heard, but this helps you avoid being seen
  • Law: Helps you know what you can and can't get away with. Could help if you're caught, but in that case your best bet is to get a good lawyer
  • Listen: Nice to know if the person in the next room is heading your way
As I said, hobby points can be added to any skills at all, including your professional skills, but it may be more useful to put them in additional skills that match your areas of interest. You get INT x 10 of them, so with 8 INT you'd only have 80. If you put the 14 there, you'll have 140 to spend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Ok, that makes much more sense, since I was pretty happy with some of the rolls. Also, I was wondering what time periods are open, as something in the past could warrant nephews or nieces (or even children of characters in the past could conceive) to become investigators for future events.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Well, it's July 16, 1969 right now. Your character will have no knowledge of any of the events that happen after that until they actually happen. There is one character from 2009, but there won't be any others. You can make up events for your background story, as well as family members (though they become NPCs once the adventure starts, outside of your control). Don't worry about fitting yourself into the plot - I've already thought of a suitable hook to get you involved.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

So, are the skills set out in the previous post the only ones available to me? And if not, is there a way for me to see all the other skills?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't look over everything. =S

So, am I allowed to pick any of these skills to boost?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

All of the skills are open to you. You're restricted to eight skills for your occupational skill points (including one you may freely choose), and you may spend your hobby points on any skills whatsoever. If you follow that link to the Quick Start rules and click on either the black-and-white or color version, you'll find a character sheet on page 20. It's a 1920s character sheet, but the only difference between that one and the modern one is that there are two additional skills: Computer Use(01%) and Electronics(01%). You can also see a list of all the skills by looking at the Character Sheets thread. Each sheet has all skills listed, even if no points have been spent on them.

The only exception is melee weapon skills, which are not listed on the character sheet for characters that don't have them (only unarmed attacks are shown). Knife has a base skill of 25%, and will allow you to use any size or variety of knife. Small Club and Large Club (two different skills) also have a base of 25%, and Blackjack has a base skill of 40%. Those are the sorts of weapons you might be likely to use. Fencing Foil, Sword Cane, and Axe/Hatchet have a base skill of 20%, Saber has a base skill of 15%, and Rapier/Heavy Epee has a base skill of 10%. Thrown weapons use the Throw skill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Terrance Luis Williams
Age 23
Sex Male
Occupation Unemployed / Gentleman Thief
Current Residence Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Characteristics:
STR: 9
CON: 11
POW: 10
DEX: 14
APP: 10
SIZ: 8
INT: 14
EDU: 13 = 260

Background:

Born into a middle-class, hardworking family, Terrance (or just simply "Terry") by his close friends and family, alongside his two brothers and two sisters, to a loving mother and a gentle father, both of which had decent jobs. His mother, a nurse, was always there to tend to the many injuries suffered through childhood play. His father, an autoworker, cared deeply for all of his children, though he has a soft spot for Terry, often teaching him about basic mechanics, as well as how to have someone lower their price when buying something (the latter taught mostly because the family was extremely poor).

Terrance, growing up, was outgoing and considered a caregiver among his siblings (as the youngest) to his parents, often helping pay for food, as well as footing the bill for the necessities they needed.

All of the children had been working as soon as they were old enough, except for Terrance, who had other means in which to provide. Although Terry had claimed to have had a job, it was a night, so that had him out of the house at that hour, but in reality, it was simple thievery.

Stealing jewelry, paintings, as well as other small things was a way for the young man to supply his family, as well as mock those who were richer than his family. Through this activity, Terrance met many people, as well as a life long friend who served as his fence. Though, it had dawned on him after a while that it wasn't exactly "kind" to take things that had belonged to others, he justifies it with the fact that they could handle the loss, and he certainly wasn't trying to take anything of sentiment value.

Concerned with things in front of him, as opposed to world history, he doesn't enjoy watching television, instead finding that reading the newspaper sufficed enough to educate him on the daily events.

Finding fighting disgraceful, and firearms sickening (through stories from his mother about gunshots and how treatment for it was excruciating), he doesn't own a gun. But he does have some knowledge of fighting (taught by his brothers), but does not partake unless it is absolutely necessary.

He lives alone now, in an apartment, visiting his family by bicycle, using it to travel from heist to heist.

Skills
Occupational
Bargain(35%), Disguise(01%), Fast Talk(65%), Handgun(20%), Locksmith(71%), Sneak(60%), Spot Hidden(75%)

Hobbies
Climb(80%), Hide(60%), Listen (75%)

I kinda wanted to add a little more to my hobbies, but I'm not sure if it's ok if they are low. What should I do?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Very nice! There's nothing wrong with having some skills at lower levels, but usually it is better to have fewer skills at higher levels than more of them at lower levels (this advice is given in the rules) - unless, of course, you've missed out on putting points into a skill you need. All of the skills could be useful in one circumstance or another, and it's really up to you to decide whether to be a specialist-type or a jack-of-all-trades. I'd say you've got a good character here, and you made the right call by having the higher skills. As a thief, a failed roll at an occupational skill at the wrong time could easily result in capture or worse, whereas a professor might only suffer wasted time or embarrassment.

Your derived stats are:
Idea 70
Luck 50
Know 65
Damage bonus: +0

Maximum Hit Points: 10
Maximum Magic Points: 10
Starting Sanity: 50

If you want to keep your skills as they are, I'll set up a character sheet for you and start you off in your own thread tomorrow night. Welcome to the game, and have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Well, I think I'll do it then. Thanks, I hope this turns out for the better.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome! I need to go to bed soon, but tomorrow night I should have time to get things set up.

As for equipment, you're not going to be able to afford much. You've got your bike, some thieves' tools (lockpicks, oil, etc.), a little cash, and not a whole lot else. You can have a weapon or two if you like. Your character doesn't like guns (and doesn't have skill with them), but a blackjack may be your best bet. It has a 40% base skill, causes 1d8 damage (plus damage bonus, which you don't have), and can be used to try to make knockout attacks. It can't be used to parry, however. It can be something as simple as a sock full of marbles, and on your income that's probably the sort of thing it would be.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

Well, I think that would suit a little more than a knife. But if I were to try to run, do I have good chances to do that?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, you have a better than average chance to run. Pretty much anyone has a chance to flee, and with your high DEX and exceptional Climb skill, you'll be better able to deal with obstacles that your pursuers might not be. Of course, this depends somewhat on how lucky you are, and on who - or what - is chasing you.

Remember that you cannot read the IC threads for other characters, only your own.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by masonstone »

I'd also be interested in joining if there is any room left.

I am on site pretty much every day, although I start year 11 on Wednesday I should be able to keep up a post level of at least once, if not more, a day although I might miss the occasional day due to trips or a looming coursework deadline.

I was thinking a British History, Anthropology or Psycology graduate or student moving to America to try and find work
(I did not choose and American character as I am British and have very little knowledge of America during this time)

I'll roll up the character now and you can choose whether I should post it or discard it
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, there's room for you, and your character concept is a good one and can fit in. Your character will be attending the University of Pennsylvania if still in school.

The posting rate for this game is actually only expected to be two or three times per week, and that's sometimes all I can post, so you won't have a problem keeping up. If you're in a thread by yourself, it can usually proceed at your pace provided I can keep up. Go ahead and post your character here when you're ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Space Oddity”