The Groovy Psychedelic Chit-Chat Lounge

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

The Groovy Psychedelic Chit-Chat Lounge

Post by Mr. Handy »

This thread is for general Out of Character discussion for Space Oddity's players and readers, whether game-related or not. There should be a separate thread for character creation discussions up soon. Once the characters have been completed, I'll set up the In Character story threads and get things rolling. In the meantime, feel free to log on, post up, and hang out!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Re: The Groovy Psychedelic Chit-Chat Lounge

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Ok. Will try to create a character today but I work again tonight so must get sleep. Most likly will not roll it until Friday morning if that is ok? Do you really want me to roll on invisible castle or can I be trusted to roll my own with my own dice?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Greetings from the future, chaps! ;)

It's going to be interesting to see how this works out. Looking forward to it!

Philulhu.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard! There's no rush on character creation, and I'll be busy until Friday night anyway. Sufirjp hasn't even logged onto the board since March 23. Yes, you may use your own dice if you wish. Invisible Castle is usually more convenient, as you can make all of your rolls at once.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome to OverTheHills, who will be playing a folk singer!

Philulhu, I'm going to start your character's IC thread soon, called "Time Will Crawl." Players are only allowed to read their own threads, so if you're a different player (or if you're thinking of joining the game), please don't read it. It's not good to know too much about the future anyway. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Hey - I just saw the full description for this game. Someone's been watching "Life on Mars". Good luck!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Mi-Go Agent, well spotted! Until yesterday I'd only seen the inferior US version, though I've also been watching Ashes to Ashes on BBC America. I'd been looking around for the UK version, but BBC America isn't airing it any time soon, the first series won't be out on DVD here until the end of July, and the second won't be until next year. My new computer's DVD drive is region-free (and I have an HD monitor), so I could get the Region 2 DVDs at a good price either online or when I visit London in November, or if I'm lucky it'll even be out on Blu-Ray. In the meantime, I've found most of the episodes on YouTube, and most of the clips are in HD too.

I hope you enjoy reading, and you'd be welcome to join in. Two of the people who said they would play are no-shows so far, and I need at least one more 1969 character. Even if they do show up, there's still room for more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Caporegime
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Caporegime »

Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello! I've been lurking on these boards for a while now and thought it about time I had a go myself. I look forward to getting stuck in!
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Mr. Handy wrote:Thanks, Mi-Go Agent, well spotted! Until yesterday I'd only seen the inferior US version, though I've also been watching Ashes to Ashes on BBC America. I'd been looking around for the UK version, but BBC America isn't airing it any time soon, the first series won't be out on DVD here until the end of July, and the second won't be until next year. My new computer's DVD drive is region-free (and I have an HD monitor), so I could get the Region 2 DVDs at a good price either online or when I visit London in November, or if I'm lucky it'll even be out on Blu-Ray. In the meantime, I've found most of the episodes on YouTube, and most of the clips are in HD too.
Roll on next Monday night, when the second series of Ashes to Ashes starts on the BBC. ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're lucky, we're only just getting the first series here in the States. I've seen the first six episodes so far. They air on BBC America, with new episodes on Saturday nights at 9 PM, so there are two more left. Unfortunately, they cut a lot out of it due to commercials. They have a longer cut available on BBC America On Demand (the international cut), but it's still several minutes shorter than the full-length versions. I'm watching and recording them so I'll be able to see them again any time. I also watched all 16 (uncut) episodes of the original Life on Mars over the past week; I just finished the finale tonight. Great stuff!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

People over here complain about the licence fee (about £140 per year) but the quality of the programming is much better than the channels supported by advertising revenue (particularly the main channel IMO, which produces some absolute drek for the mindless public to lap up). Unfortunately, the adverts (as poor as they are) are the best bit about their scheduling. <end TV snob rant> ;(
Caporegime
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Caporegime »

I'm from the UK and as much as I love the beeb, and did enjoy Life on Mars, they don't really come close to HBO on the drama front. At least they've just started to show 'The Wire'.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't have HBO, but I've heard very good things about The Wire. The license fee is actually much less than I pay for basic cable service when converted into dollars. I've always loved what British TV I've been able to see over on this side of the pond (mainly on public TV channels; I've only had BBC America for the past few years). I started watching Doctor Who in 1981, back when Tom Baker was the Doctor. As much as I like the new episodes and glad as I am that they're making them again, I prefer the originals.

Speaking of 1981, I also found the uncut version of Series 1 of Ashes to Ashes on YouTube. Don't know when I'd have time to watch them, though.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Caporegime
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Caporegime »

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know I'm going to be away in Rome for a few days with very limited access to internet. I'll be back to normal from Monday.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I doubt you'll miss much, but I'll assume your character just remains where he is and does nothing until you post.

I should be able to get Jerome Padgett's thread started on Friday night, Eastern U.S. time. I'll also probably progress Alan Gains's thread this weekend. I just need to let the other characters catch up first.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I'm away this weekend as well. Not Rome mind you (some people have all the luck) ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

All of the character sheets and Prologue threads are currently up. Welcome back, Philuhlu and Caporegime! I hope Rome was fun.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Can't say about Rome, but I did enjoy a weekend in the Derbyshire Peak District. I even found time to visit the Nine Ladies.

Umm, that's the Nine Ladies as in the stone circle, just in case anyone was wondering... ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Neat. Glad you had fun. It looks like Caporegime isn't actually back yet, so I'll just assume his character remains still and watches. Probably a good idea anyway... :D
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

Don't pay much attention to this post, its an experiment, I'm fiddling with forum code.
OOC,So, am I awesome or what?
I've got skills, I rolled a 22. (1d100=22)

Return to “Space Oddity”