Moderator: Tabs

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

The Dunwich Legacy

Post by Tabs »

OOC:  
Nice! I probably won't have time to build my deck until the weekend.
Sefina has a really interesting ability.

That's fine.

I'm looking forward to building Wendy's deck, unlike last game where I simply took "off the shelf" a deck from arkhamdb.  

Prologue
Dr. Henry Armitage pours himself a glass of pinot and sits down at his desk, gesturing for you to sit across from him. "I apologize for the short notice," he begins. His face is pale, his forehead sweat and wrinkled with worry.

Armitage - the head librarian of Miskatonic University, and a former mentor of yours - privately contacted you in the hopes of gaining your assistance. Eager to help, you made your way to his home in Southside. Upon entering, you were surprised to find his home in disarray. Books and notes litter his desk, and an empty bottle of wine has tipped over onto the ground by the fireplace. You'd always known Armitage to be neat and well-organized.

The elderly man takes a moment to collect his thoughts. "I am looking for two of my colleagues - Dr. Francis Morgan, professor of archaeology, and Warren Rice, professor of languages. Warren was supposed to meet up with me over supper earlier today to discuss several important findings, but he has since gone missing. At first I thought nothing of it, but I have a nagging feeling something else is going on. A very...familiar feeling." You've never seen Armitage quite this worried before. His hands tremble as he reaches for the glass on his desk, and he sips from it nervously. "I tried to find Francis, hoping he knew where Warren was, but he too is out of touch. Francis has been spending a lot of time in some gambling den, or so I am told.

"I sent for you because I am worried Warren might be in trouble. I would appreciate it greatly if you could find him for me. You may also wish to ask Francis for help, if you can reach him."

The investigators must decide (choose one):

Professor Warren Rice was last seen working late at night in the humanities department of Miskatonic University. Let's search for him there.
Proceed with "Scenario 1-A: Extracurricular Activity" if you wish to find Professor Warren Rice first.
Dr. Francis Morgan was last seen gambling at the Clover Club, an upscale speakeasy and gambling joint located downtown. Let's go talk to him.
Proceed with "Scenario 1-B: The House Always Wins" if you wish to find Dr. Francis Morgan first.

Edit

Deck built at arkhamdb--I'd thoroughly recommend doing this. https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/98111 There's a card draw simulator, so I wouldn't need to physically build the decks.

Asset (10)

Hand
2x Flashlight
1x Lantern
Accessory
1x Cherished Keepsake
Body
1x Leather Coat
Ally
1x Dario El-Amin
1x Peter Sylvestre
Other
1x Burglary
1x Dig Deep
1x Pickpocketing
Event (14)

2x "Look what I found!"
1x Backstab
1x Bait and Switch
1x Cheap Shot
1x Elusive
2x Emergency Cache
1x Hiding Spot
2x Lucky!
2x Sneak Attack
1x Think on Your Feet
Skill (6)

1x Quick Thinking
1x Resourceful
1x Rise to the Occasion
1x Survival Instinct
2x Unexpected Courage
Asset (1)

Accessory
1x Wendy's Amulet
Treachery (2)

1x Abandoned and Alone
1x Random Basic Weakness
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A gambling den!" says Sefina Rousseau, excitement already building in her. "That sounds like it would be right up my alley. We should try to locate Dr. Morgan first, and perhaps then he can help us find Professor Rice. What do you say, Wendy?" She looks at the girl fondly. She has always wanted a little sister, and Wendy is the closest thing to it. While she feels protective of her, she knows that Wendy is surprisingly capable of taking care of herself.
OOC,I like how we can choose to do either scenario first. Deck: [color=green]1x Pickpocketing 1x .41 Derringer 1x Leo De Luca: The Louisiana Lion 1x Hard Knocks 1x Elusive 1x Backstab 1x Sneak Attack 1x Opportunist 1x Liquid Courage 1x Think on Your Feet 1x Stealth[/color] [color=purple]1x Forbidden Knowledge 1x Holy Rosary 1x Shrivelling 1x Scrying 1x Arcane Studies 1x Drawn to the Flame 1x Ward of Protection 1x Blinding Light 1x Fearless 1x Rite of Seeking 1x Clarity of Mind[/color] [color=gray]2x Knife 2x Flashlight 2x Emergency Cache 2x Perception 1x Overpower 2x Unexpected Courage 3x The Painted World 1x The Stars of Hyades 1x Random Basic Weakness[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Wendy Adams slipped her hand into Sefina's and clasped it tightly.

"You know, miss," she said, "I'm used to being on my own. But it would be nice--nice to have someone else to look after me; perhaps you would?

"Dr. Morgan? Yes, let's find the gentleman."

OOC:   Image

I took the liberty of putting your deck on arkhamdb. https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/98979  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course I would look after you, ma chere," says Sefina with a smile, squeezing Wendy's hand. "Please, call me Sefina."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

That's only 3 Event cards :o . Which 2 cards from Sefina's hand do you wish to discard?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Well, that was bad luck, but it could have been worse. At least I have [b]Leo[/b] in my starting hand. I'll discard Overpower and Scrying.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ImageImageImageImageImage

Oooh! I like my cards.

Dr. Armitage suggested you track down his associate Dr. Francis Morgan. He's not sure whether Dr. Morgan is in trouble, but he's not particularly happy with his colleague's present choice of company. He's in the Clover Club, a notorious gambling joint somewhere downtown. Finding the club's exact location isn't easy - you have to grease a few palms just to learn which of the Downtown restaurants operates as the club's front. That restaurant is La Bella Luna, a somewhat upscale Italian eatery by the theatre. You change into your Sunday best and make your way there.

In front of La Bella Luna stands a man in a pinstripe suit who sizes you up as you approach. "Enjoy yourselves," he says with a snake-like grin as he holds open the restaurant's front door.

ImageImage
OOC:   Sefina as Lead Investigator?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Sounds good. What's the starting location?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I stumbled upon a great photo of Dr. Henry Armitage. Image

ImageImage 2 clues

La Bella Luna [Sefina, Wendy] -> Clover Club Lounge [Pit Boss]

Clover Club Lounge -> La Bella Luna -> Bar -> Cardroom

Bar -> Clover Club Lounge -> Cardroom

Cardroom -> Bar -> Clover Club Lounge

"That man with the snake-like grin," whispered Wendy to Sefina, "maybe he thinks that I'm your daughter?" She let go of Sefina's hand and surveyed her critically. "You're too slim and young," she stated; "my big sister, for sure!" They stepped inside La Bella Luna. Its disguise of gingham covered tables, spaghetti bowls and clichéd music could not mask an air of unrestrained mayhem, underlined by the distant thrum of a double bass.

OOC:   I'll Play Dario El Amin, maybe Investigate, maybe Move... Go ahead and post, if you wish.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 1 Investigator Phase

"Thank you, Wendy," replies Sefina. She wears a green, fringed sleeveless dress with a slit that goes most of the way up her thigh. "You are right, of course. I am far too young to be your mother. I must be your big sister."

She looks around the restaurant, where a well-dressed man sits at a table, finishing a bowl of spaghetti. He smiles at Sefina, standing up and approaching her. "Evenin', doll," he drawls in a Southern accent. "My name's Leo De Luca." He takes her hand and kisses it.

"Good evening, sir. I'm Sefina Rousseau, and this is my little sister, Wendy. We're looking for Dr. Francis Morgan. Do you know him?"

"Yeah, he's a regular here. I can help you find him. He's probably in the back. The password is 'swordfish.'"

"Thank you. You are here alone?"

"I was just waiting for a beautiful woman to show up." Leo takes her arm. "And now two of them have."
OOC,Action 1: Gain 1 resource. Action 2: Gain 1 resource. Action 3: Spend 6 resources and play [b]Leo De Luca[/b]. Action 4: Play Forbidden Knowledge. Next turn I plan to play the Flashlight and investigate here twice. With the Flashlight, success will be almost automatic for me, though I have an extra action if I miss one. Otherwise, I can use the fourth action to move to the lounge. You might want to go ahead to the lounge this turn after you play [b]Dario El Amin[/b], and with your third action you could either start investigating, use his ability to collect resources (though you'd have to do that in this location, before you move), or do something else.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Wendy giggled at the gentleman's silly words, he was obviously buttering her up to impress Sefina; nevertheless she tucked an errant strand of hair behind her ear.

Investigator Phase 1

Action 1: Spend 4 resources and Play Dario El-Amin.

Action 2: Move to Clover Club Lounge.

ImageImage

Action 3: Exhaust Dario El-Amin and gain 2 resources.

She touched the envelope inside the pocket of her cardigan. She had a penpal, an Egyptian named Dario El-Amin, who sent her photographs of pyramids and camels; also stamps, which she sold to collectors--the stamps were a valuable resource for her, providing tea, bread, and jam.

At the back of La Bella Luna she confidently said "swordfish" to a doorman. He seemed a little bemused but swung open the green baize door for her, "Madam," he said. She entered a luxurious lounge, comfortable leather couches, etc. A sharp suited man with a livid scar upon his cheek walked across to Wendy.

"No minors allowed in the club," he said gruffly.

"I'm a surprise for a gentleman," she answered, unsure of what she really meant by it but scar face seemed amused and grinned most sinisterly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Dario[/b]'s ability can't be used in a location with an enemy (such as the [b]Pit Boss[/b]). You need to do that as your second action and then move to the Clover Club Lounge with your third, and then it works. It's a good thing you're there. That keeps the [b]Pit Boss[/b] from moving into the restaurant and keeping me from finding the clues. You'll have to lead him around to keep him out of the way. I hope you draw your other Ally. I've played my only one, and you've played one out of two in your deck. If he doesn't get drawn, hopefully there's some other way to find six clues total.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   When I posted yesterday I checked the Pit Boss's card for "Enemy" but only saw "Criminal. Elite." :roll: Anyhow let's do as you say and swap Wendy's 2nd and 3rd actions. Yeah, if needs be I'll discard Dario El-Amin and gain 2 clues from the lounge.  
Upkeep Phase 1

Ready Dario El-Amin.

Sefina draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Wendy draws Image and gains 1 resource.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You can't discard [b]Dario[/b] for that, even if the [b]Pit Boss[/b] weren't in the room. You have to discard the Ally from your hand, and he's already in play. I hope you draw [b]Peter[/b], but I doubt it's essential to get those two clues to complete the act. Otherwise decks without allies would make the scenario unwinnable. There must be three clues per player in the other two locations we haven't yet seen. My card is nice. I don't think I'll be short of resources. Yours is bad, but at least you got it over with before there was anything in your discard pile.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Got it.  
Mythos Phase 2

Place 1 doom on the agenda (1/4).

Sofia draws Image

Wendy draws Image
OOC:   Next phase, Wendy to Move to Cardroom/Bar, Play Dario El-Amin if possible, and...  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 1 Mythos Phase

As Sefina makes her way across the restaurant, she slips on the wet floor and falls down. Leo is there to help her back to her feet. "Thank you," she says.

Turn 2 Investigator Phase

Sefina takes a flashlight out of her purse and explores the restaurant area. She soon finds a ledger showing that Dr. Francis Morgan was admitted much earlier today - and he has not left. Certain that she's on the right track, she heads to the back, arm in arm with Leo. "Swordfish," he says to the bouncer, who lets them pass into the lounge.

Sefina notices Wendy sitting in a corner, crying into her arms which are folded on her knees. "Wendy, are you all right?" she asks. "What's wrong?"
OOC,Sounds like a good plan to me. Twist of Fate draw: [dice]0[/dice] -4. 1 damage taken. Action 1: Spend 2 resources to play Flashlight. Action 2: Activate Flashlight to investigate. Investigate check (Intellect 2 vs. 2 -2[Flashlight] = 0 shroud): [dice]1[/dice] 2 - 0 = 2. Success! 1 supply spent from Flashlight. 1 clue gained. Action 3: Activate Flashlight to investigate. Investigate check (Intellect 2 vs. 2 -2[Flashlight] = 0 shroud): [dice]2[/dice] 2 - 0 = 2. Success! 1 supply spent from Flashlight. 1 clue gained. Action 4: Move to Clover Club Lounge
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"It just hit me--again--that I have no one," mumbled Wendy on the verge of tears. "Except you of course."

Investigation Phase 2

Action 1: Move to Clover Club Bar.

ImageImage

Action 2: Activate Dario El-Amin. Exhaust and gain 2 resources.

Action 3: Activate Clover Club Bar. Spend 2 resources: Gain 2 clues and draw 2 cards. Wendy has "had a drink."

ImageImage

Her chin rested upon the counter of the bar, but try as she might she couldn't clamber up one of the stools.

"Here, allow me, little miss," he said in a kind, friendly voice. Hands fitted into her armpits and lifted her up and sat her down upon the stool.

"Thank you, sir!" she said.

"No trouble at all," he replied, settling himself down beside her. "Can I buy you a lemonade?"

Wendy thought: "What a nice gentleman!" and smiled in answer.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Enemy Phase 2

Clover Club Pit Boss moves to Bar.

Upkeep Phase 2

Sefina draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Wendy draws Image and gains 1 resource.

La Bella Luna -> Clover Club Lounge

Clover Club Lounge [Sefina] -> La Bella Luna -> Bar -> Cardroom

Bar [Wendy, Pit Boss] -> Clover Club Lounge -> Cardroom

Cardroom -> Bar -> Clover Club Lounge
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mythos Phase 3

Place 1 doom on the agenda (2/4).

Sefina draws Image
OOC:   The Pit Boss moves back to the Lounge but is still Aloof and doesn't attack?  
Wendy draws Image

Wendy fumbled the glass of lemonade. It tipped over upon the bar's counter and rolled backwards and forwards in a puddle of drink. She rested her head upon one hand. "I don't feel so great," she moaned.

"Good," muttered the man to himself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, that sounds right to me. I'd like to go first this turn and use my first action to go to the Cardroom. Then I'll see if I can get any clues there with my remaining actions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Dunwich Legacy”