Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Mythos Phase

Sefina can feel mystical forces building, surrounding her, trapping her. Acting instinctively, she makes a series of confusing gestures, and the energy dissipates.
OOC,I'm glad I grabbed the Ward of Protection when I did. I need to cancel this one. My odds of getting out of here are really bad, especially with the Whippoorwill. The odds of getting back in are pretty bad too. We can't afford to waste actions or burn a bunch of cards from our decks. Fast Action: Play Ward of Protection, spending 1 resource. Take 1 horror. Arcane Barrier's Revelation effect is canceled. I think I should go first and spend my clue, in case we find [b]Jazz[/b]. If not, I'll move back to the Orne Library and try to find the other clue there with Perception.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Okay  
Jazz?,No!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 4 Investigator Phase

Sefina looks around for any sign of the janitor, but she comes up empty. Returning to the Orne Library, she searches there, but she still can't find any trace of him.
OOC,What were the five discarded cards? I'd like to know what horrors we avoided. Action 1: Activate Act. Spend 1 clue and discard the top 5 cards of the encounter deck. Action 2: Move to Orne Library. Actions 3 and 4: Investigate (Intellect 2 + 2[Perception] vs. 3 shroud): [dice]0[/dice] -2. Failure.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Ancient Evils x2, Beyond the Veil, Visions of Future Past, Pushed into the Beyond  

Investigation Phase 4

Action 1: Move to Administration Building.

ImageImageImage

Action 2: Activate Flashlight (spend 1 supply).

Intellect 3 +1[Elusive] vs. 4 -2[Flashlight], chaos token [dice]0[/dice] -2; success, gain 1 clue.

Action 3: Activate Act 2a card (spend 1 clue).

Discard Yithian Observer, Light of Aforgomon, Pushed into the Beyond, Offer of Power, and Thrall.

Wendy pulled an ivy leaf from the creepers smothering the Administration Building. She dribbled saliva upon her palm and together, with the leaf, rolled an unholy spit ball, which she intended to place upon some unfortunate's chair; the naughty child chuckled at the dismay it would cause.

The hour was late and all was quiet and shadowy. She did discover a clue but was unsure of its usefulness, however during her wanderings, upstairs, she found the Faculty Offices. Its frosted glass door allowed her to glimpse a figure darting in front of a moon lit window, at least she thought that she saw someone...
OOC:   Just about to update Wendy's stats when I realised her last Mythos Card Beyond the Veil has the keyword Surge, so I should draw another encounter card. Shall I take Ancient Evils, Sefina's first discarded card?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, that's the best thing to do. That only adds one more doom token, so we should still have one more turn before the agenda advances unless yet another Ancient Evils is drawn. We dodged a lot of bad stuff from the discarded cards, at least, and you'll get to discard one more now to make up for the extra one you drew from the surge. Then we'll get two more draws during the Mythos phase. It might have been better not to commit Elusive since you have Lucky! in your hand and could always have used that if you fell short by 1 or 2.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Mmmm, Lucky! is my signature card! Elusive will be perfect if Wendy draws a monster,--um--I'll discard Emergency Cache.  
Return to Mythos Phase 4

Wendy draws Image Doom 5/7

Discard Visions of Futures Past.

Enemy Phase 4

Whippoorwill moves to Orne Library.

Upkeep Phase 4

Sefina draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Wendy draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Orne Library [Sefina, 1 clue, Whippoorwill] -> Miskatonic Quad -> Humanities Building

Miskatonic Quad -> Orne Library -> Science Building -> Humanities Building -> Student Union -> Administration Building

Science Building -> Miskatonic Quad -> Alchemy Labs [locked]

Humanities Building [2 clues] -> Miskatonic Quad -> Orne Library

Student Union -> Miskatonic Quad -> Dormitories [locked]

Administration Building [Wendy, 1 clue] -> Miskatonic Quad -> Faculty Offices [locked]

To advance act - . Doom 5/7
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You couldn't have committed Emergency Cache; it doesn't have any Intellect symbols (or any symbols, for that matter). Besides, it's too late to change it once you've seen the roll. There are only 2 clues left in the Humanities Building. I found the second one the turn before last, which I spent last turn. The first one was what enabled us to advance the act.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Edited  
Mythos Phase 5

Place 1 doom on the agenda (6/7).

Sefina draws Image
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Mythos Phase

The horrible voice returns to Sefina's head. "Use the power I can give you," it cajoles. "You are doomed without it!"

"NO!" she screams, clutching her head. She falls sobbing into Leo's arms again. "I think I'm going mad!"
OOC,[b]Sefina[/b] takes 2 horror.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Wendy draws Image

In a corner of the Administration Building, below the ceiling, a pink light swirls and swirls, its like a hungry mouth, wanting, no demanding to be fed. Wendy threw her lantern [asset] into it, hoping that her choice would not effect Sefina too much.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Nuts! I guess I'll discard Hard Knocks. I really need Liquid Courage, especially after that last hit. I can heal up to 3 horror from one use of it by committing Fearless to the Will test. The loss of the asset doesn't hurt me so much, as I'm unlikely to get enough resources to use both it and Arcane Studies, which is more useful to me. However, losing that Lantern really hurts. You needed that to help find clues. On my turn I'll see if I can get a clue in the Humanities Building with Unexpected Courage so I can cash it in to discard five more cards, but you may want to go first, as you have a decent chance to find one if you use your Unexpected Coruage. I'll be leaving for a convention shortly and won't be back until Sunday night, when I may not have time to post.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Re: The Dulwich Legacy

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Oh dear! the treachery card says "each card" [asset].  

Investigation Phase 5

Action 1: Investigate.

Intellect 3 +2[Unexpected Courage] vs. 4, chaos token [dice]0[/dice] -2; Fast play Lucky! (spend 1 resource), success, gain 1 clue.

Action 2: Activate Act 2a card (spend 1 clue).

Discard Eager for Death, Terror from Beyond, Wizard of Yog-Sothoth, and Locked Door.

And...Image

Action 3: Parley with "Jazz."

Intellect 3 +1
  vs. 3, chaos token [dice]1[/dice] +1; success, "Jazz" joins the investigators!

"Get outta here! you little varmint," said the janitor, scowling. The grumpy old man had pushed his mop under a desk and been startled when a yelp from some resisting lump had cried out.

"Please, sir!" said Wendy upon hands and knees, poking her pretty, but slightly grimy, face round a chair, "I'm searching for clues--it's most important work," she smiled, revealing a missing tooth, and held up a blood stained kerchief.

"Jazz" Mulligan softened: "Well thank you, miss--for helping. Sorry if I was a bit gruff; I was taken aback, surprised, y'understand. Look, I've still gotta finish my round, but tag along, there's a can of peaches in syrup somewhere back in the maintenance office, it's yours if you wanna carry on?--cleaning, that is. Tell the truth: my old back can't bend like it used to!"

Wendy was no longer alarmed or frightened. "Sure!" she said happily.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Well, that killed almost my entire hand. :shock: Taking control of [b]Jazz[/b] causes the act to advance, so let's see what the next act is before I take my turn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   The card had the keyword Peril, so I couldn't check with you first. Anyhow we found Jazz. Also both Leo and Jazz can soak up a point of sanity...

Did you get to play many games at the convention?  

ImageImageImage

OOC:   Oooh! what do you think we should do?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, I did play a bunch of games. I played Terraforming Mars on Thursday night. I won, but it was a close one. On Friday, I played in an Apocalypse World hack set in Middle-Earth called The Perfect Meal, where we were hobbits trying to gather ingredients. Then I played in The Siren's Curse, a Hollow Earth Expedition scenario. That night, I played in a Cthulhu Live scenario called Devil's Due set in 1890s London, where we were all members or prospective members of a secret society/cult. I was the elderly Man-at-Arms, whose job it was to protect the Order until my retirement that evening. All officers of the Order are chosen by lot. I killed a prospective member based on Batman when he tried to kill the Keeper of Secrets after being given a dagger and ordered to kill his servant (based on Alfred). My replacement was a doctor in a mental institution who should have been an inmate; she was based on the Joker. In the end, the replacement Keeper was killed by his own father (the former Treasurer) because he did not want to give his son to the Order (the entity in the Keeper of Secrets switches bodies when the position is transferred). The next replacement Keeper and her Chinese servant then disintegrated the Keeper with powerful magic while the ex-Treasurer tried to disrupt the ritual. I killed him, but she got away. On Saturday, I played a lot of Call of Cthulhu. I played in As the Leaf Withers on the Vine, set in 1867 Texas, where we were Secret Service agents. Then I played in Blackwater Creek, a 1920s scenario where we were gangsters. I came through both just fine. That night I played in another Cthulhu Live scenario, The Farewell Tour, set in a goth nightclub in 1996. There were a bunch of players who were playing Vampire: the Masquerade LARPers, which I actually played in the mid-1990s at college. In this scenario, I was the event coordinator who happened to be a real vampire. Then at midnight I played Dead Panic, where I was one of four (out of six) survivors. I was instrumental in getting the radio parts and calling the van, and I was the first to reach it (it appeared right where I was, luckily). On Sunday, I played in a Cthulhu Invictus scenario, The Vetting of Marius Asina, where I played a Judean bodyguard. We accomplished our mission, and all of us survived except for the centurion, who didn't know when to run away. Then I played Star Trek Panic. The Enterprise was crippled and dead in space just out of range of the Starbase, but we somehow managed to win. We certainly can't fight the Experiment. Without Shrivelling and Arcane Studies, I won't be able to do enough damage. The choice is between finding Professor Rice and evacuating the students. You're right next to the Faculty Offices, but you could reach the Dormitories instead next turn. It's up to you what you want to do, but we might want to see what happens in the Mythos Phase, especially since the agenda advances, before making a decision. If we have time, I'd like to save the students. Does controlling "[b]Jazz[/b]" mean we can both ignore the text, or can only the one actually controlling him do it? If the latter, I won't be much help, but I guess I could use my first Action to draw a card and see if it's helpful.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   I've got Terraforming Mars, but sadly I have not played it yet. One thing, the player board for cubes is just a sheet of card, I was disappointed that there weren't some "slots" for cubes, y'know, like in Scythe. You did a lot of live role-play. I'm unsure if that would be up my street now. Did I say before that I did some D&D larping?--must have been in the late '80s!

Yes, The Experiment is out of our league--Sefina and Wendy wouldn't choose to fight it anyway. The "shadow" which Wendy saw in the Faculty Offices must be Professor Rice... But the humane thing to do is to warn the students, so let's plan to do that.

I think that "Jazz" is a pseudo-ally of Wendy. If Wendy is with Sefina we can ignore text on unrevealed locations.

Yes, prepare Sefina, maybe move to Dormitories. Wendy, and Jazz, will get there next turn.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

Sefina groans when she sees that accursed bird has returned, the noise distracting her as she thinks of what to do next.
OOC,Action 1: Draw 1 card. Actually, once you reveal a location with "[b]Jazz[/b]," the text is no longer there. Basically, he unlocks it and then anyone can go through. You can get to the Dormitories in three actions next turn (barring Mythos cards), and I can then follow you inside and try to do what needs doing with my remaining three actions. Terraforming Mars is great! You're right about the cubes. A friend of mine who runs a board game group has it, and we play it all the time. He has these third-party overlays that do have square slots for the cubes, but it would have been better if they came with the game.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:  
Actually, once you reveal a location with "Jazz," the text is no longer there. Basically, he unlocks it and then anyone can go through.
Yes of course.

Get rid of the Whippoorwill perhaps?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That's a nice one. It's not worth using up what little I have left to try to take out the Whippoorwill (your Lantern would have been ideal for that), since we can just outrun it. After this turn, it will move to the Miskatonic Quad. Next turn we'll hopefully be in the Dormitories, and it will only move to the Student Union. I'll have one more action left to move to the Student Union, unless the card is the Stubborn Detective, in which case I'll use that last action to try to evade. Action 2: Move to Miskatonic Quad. Action 3: Draw 1 card.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle