The Devourer Below

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Devourer Below

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You only take 1 horror, as you engaged the first Young Deep One. You only take the horror when it engages you. I guess your best bet is to either evade the Young Deep Ones or just drag them with you to the Main Path, then try to finish off the cultist with 2 doom. Otherwise, the agenda will advance in the coming Mythos Phase. Once all the enemies in the Main Path are engaged with you, I can run for the Ritual Site and (unless the situation warrants using my third action otherwise) set up the Barricade.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Thanks! 1 sanity added back.  

Investigator Phase 5

Skids was in deep trouble. He couldn't decide upon the best course of action so chose a fudge in-between.

Action 1: Evade Young Deep One.

Image +1 evade

Agility 4 ...

And then changed his mind--he would go mad anyhow. He ran, the two frog-things biting at his heels.

Move to Main Path, suffering 2 damage and 2 horror.

Two more of 'em! Two humans blocked his path, together with the frog-things that made four! At least Daisy would make it past and on to the cave--but what awaited her inside? Despairingly he drew the machete and hacked at the elderly-looking duffer.

Action 2: Fight Peter Warren.

Image +1 fight

Fight 3 +1[Machete] +1[Guard Dog], 5 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-1) ; success, 1 damage to Peter Warren.

Action 3: Fight Peter Warren.

Fight 3 +1[Machete] +1[Hard Knocks], 5 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] (-3) ; missed.

Action 4: Fight Peter Warren.

Fight 3 +1[Machete], 4 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]2[/dice] (-1) ; success, 1 damage to Peter Warren.

Action 5 (spend 2 resources): Fight Peter Warren.

Fight 3 +1[Machete], 4 vs. 3, Chaos token [dice]3[/dice] (elder sign +2 and gain 2 resources) ; success! 1 damage to Peter Warren who is killed.

Skids's final attempt with the machete cut into that pocket between collar bone and neck; Peter Warren performed a pirouette, screamed a lot, his death-cry echoing through the wood, and then collapsed in an untidy sprawl. The wolf-man howled an abominable cry and the two frog-things surrounded Skids; he felt very alone.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

Now that Daisy has figured out how to get to the cave where the summoning ritual will take place, she runs back to the main path, where she sees Skids fighting. He has downed an old cultist, but he is surrounded by a feral-looking lupine man and two of the fish-frog things like the one that had attacked her earlier. In fact, one of them was the same creature. "Skids, follow me!" she calls. "I've got a plan!" She hurries onward, into the hidden cave.
OOC,Action 1: Move to Main Path Action 2: Move to Ritual Site Nicely done! I'll wait to see what happens when I unlock the Ritual Site and advance the Act before I use my third action. I don't want to use the Bulletproof Vest just yet in case I need to commit it for a combat boost or need to do something else before the end of my turn, such as setting up the Barricade. We may need that in place so that you can join me safely behind it and keep the remaining monsters out of the Ritual Site.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Image 4 clues

"I'll be there!" shouted Skids. He knew that unless fortune smiled upon him, he was finished.

"Always look on the bright side," he said to Leo. They were back to back, waiting for the onslaught from their foes.

"I need a drink! To be once more in the cider cellars," replied Leo wistfully.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Well, that could have been a whole lot worse. I can probably defeat the Ghoul Minion with my third action if I throw my Knife and commit my Bulletproof Vest, which will give me 6 fight versus 3 and do 2 damage if I hit. If I set up the Barricade now, I'll be taking two hits, however. Are we required to maintain the same player order every turn, or am I allowed to go first next turn? If I can, then I can play the Barricade and take my other actions before you do, so that you could evade as many of your opponents as you can before moving into the Ritual Site where they can't follow you. It's a shame you already used up On the Lam. That would have been perfect in this situation. It's going to be insanely hard to complete the Act before the Agenda advances, but we can give it a good try.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   "On the Lam" was made for the predicament that Skids finds himself in, oh well! With play order, we decide who takes their actions first. Skids, being lead investigator, will gain some bonuses and be afflicted by some card events. If he doesn't evade next turn he's not gonna make it to the Ritual Site! How I'd like to draw dynamite next...

I think that Daisy should don the Bulletproof Vest.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

"Safe at last,"sighs Daisy when she enters the shadowy cave. Just then, another ghoul emerges from the shadows near the cave mouth and tackles her from behind, slamming her to the ground! "No!" she shrieks, turning around and hurling her knife at it with all her flagging strength. However, it sails right past the creature's head and outside, into the night. Daisy wails as it seizes her wrists and pins them, cackling hungrily.
OOC,If I did that, I'd take two hits and basically be trading 2 Sanity and one action for 2 Health. While I could spare the Sanity, actions at this point are more precious than Health. I don't think I'll be knocked out in what little time remains. Once the Ancient One is summoned, we won't stand a chance. I need to take out the ghoul now, and I'll only get one shot that can cause 2 damage, so I need to boost my odds. By committing the vest, I'll succeed on 14 out of 17 possible draws. If I don't finish the ghoul now, next turn may be worse, especially if another monster spawns in the cave. I'll go first next turn and play the Barricade then if I can. Action 3: Activate and discard Knife. Fight Ghoul Minion (2 +2[Bulletproof Vest] +2[Knife] = 6 vs. 2 +1[Agenda] = 3): [dice]0[/dice] D'oh! :o
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Oh well! Not to be too negative, but I don't think either of us will survive if we continue.  

Enemy Phase 5

"Wolf-man" Drew and two Young Deep Ones attack Skids dealing 4 damage and 2 sanity loss.

Another swipe, and another, followed by an ear splitting and terrifying screech,--some kind of fan-like appendage stood on end and vibrated,--throughout the onslaught by the frog-things the wolf-man grinned with degraded pleasure, exposing decaying fangs; he sank them into Skids's shoulder, several of the more rotten teeth broke off, leaving black stumps.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Enemy Phase

Daisy struggles in vain, far too weak to overcome the monster. It straddles her and rips apart what's left of her blouse, then sinks its teeth into her side. She screams in anguish, knowing that she's doomed. Skids isn't going to be able to rescue her, let alone himself.
OOC,[b]Daisy[/b] takes 1 damage and 1 horror. Yeah, I think we're hooped at this point. We should probably resign unless we get some really miraculous cards. You'd have to evade all three of your enemies in order to be able to do anything.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Upkeep Phase 5

Skids draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Daisy draws Image and gains 1 resource.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That would have been very useful earlier, but it's too late for it now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mythos Phase 6

Place 1 doom on the agenda (3/5).

Skids draws Image 2 doom on "Wolf-man" Drew.

Daisy draws Image

Will 2 +2[Guts] +1[First Aid] vs. 6, Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-5) ; failure.

It was all becoming unbearable. A dull gong-like noise vibrated in Skids's head. He felt extremely weak physically; mentally he was barely master of his faculties. The urge to lie down upon the leaves and cry was prevented merely by him being propped against Leo de Luca's back.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 5 Mythos Phase

A wave of despair crashed over Daisy. As if the fact that she was about to be ravished and eaten by a monster wasn't bad enough, she could tell that something overwhelmingly worse was about to arrive...
OOC,There's no point in me committing cards, as I'll need to commit the Barricade for Agility to evade in order to escape alive. With only two Will I can commit, I'd only succeed on one token out of 17, so it's not worth it, especially if there are other effects from the Ancient One for which I'll need Will. Will roll (skill 3) vs. 6 difficulty: [dice]0[/dice] 3-4 = 0 minimum. Failure. [b]Daisy[/b] gains a random basic weakness into her hand.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Investigator Phase 6

Action 1: Resign.

A gnarled old oak, growing atop a collapsed bank, its roots exposed like a knotted cobweb. Skids dived towards it, then scrambled between the roots in a panicked drive to escape. Once out the other side he tumbled head over heels down a damp slope covered in leaves... Did he think of Daisy Walker during his desperate flight? Well, no he did not.

The end for "Skids" O'Toole.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Investigator Phase

Daisy screams repeatedly as the ghoul hikes her skirt and spreads her legs. Just as it is about to defile her, a tentacle bursts from the dirt floor of the cave, wraps itself around the ghoul's neck, and twists off its head. Daisy wastes no time in trying to get out of there, but more tentacles erupt from the ground. Right before she reaches the cave mouth, two of them wrap themselves around her ankles and she sprawls headfirst to the ground. She digs her fingers into the ground as they drag her inexorably backwards, but to no avail. More tentacles ensnare her waist and her arms, and there is no escape. Then an enormous maw emerges from below, lined with row after row of sharp, nasty teeth. Daisy lets out one final scream as it swallows her whole.
OOC,Action 1: Evade Umdordhoth (2 Agility + 2[Manual Dexterity] + 1[Hyperawareness] +1[Barricade] = 6 vs. 6): [dice]0[/dice] 6-3=3. Failure. Action 2: Attempt to move to Main Path. Lose 3 Health and 4 Sanity, eliminated. If I'd put on the Bulletproof Vest, I'd have been able to survive (barely), but I hadn't known all of those doom tokens would be added so quickly, I hadn't known the Ancient One would be so hard to evade, and I hadn't known that the Ghoul Minion would be destroyed anyway. EDIT: Wait, hold on, I just realized that the Agenda can only advance at the start of the Mythos phase when the first doom token was added, so those extra doom tokens added later in the Mythos phase don't advance the Agenda just yet, giving us one turn to get out of here. In that case, my evade attempt succeeds against the Ghoul Minion, I use my second action to move to the Main Path, and I use my third action to Resign.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   It was worth it for the description! The game was over anyhow.

I was thinking of playing a sidestory, CARNAVALE OF HORRORS, in a month's time. Interested?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Investigator Phase

Daisy screams repeatedly as the ghoul hikes her skirt and spreads her legs. Just as it is about to defile her, she slams her knee into its groin, causing it to roll off of her and moan in pain. Wasting no time, she scrambles to her feet and sprints out of the cave mouth, back to the main path. There she is confronted with the two fishmen and the wolfman, but there is no sign of Skids. The wolfman is preoccupied with chanting. The fishmen advance on her, and one of them seizes her in a slimy embrace. "She's mine!" it burbles.

"I saw her first!" croaks the other, pulling it away. While they fight over Daisy, she flees down the path into the night. She has failed to stop the Ancient One from rising, but at least she is miraculously still alive and inviolate.
OOC,Yes, definitely! 8-) I'll leave my post above unedited and write [b]Daisy[/b]'s real ending here. If we continue to play the same characters, we won't have picked up those extra Weaknesses, and I won't have the penalty for being defeated. Action 1: Evade Ghoul Minion (2 Agility + 2[Manual Dexterity] + 1[Hyperawareness] +1[Barricade] = 6 vs. 3): 6-3=3. Success. [b]Daisy[/b] draws a card, not that it matters. Action 2: Move to Main Path. Action 3: Resign
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   I was thinking: Why not? yes, continue as Daisy. But...  
If no resolution was reached (each investigator resigned or was defeated): Too frightened to face her fate, Lita flees into the night. She realizes that she has failed and Umordhoth's vengeance will pursue her wherever she goes. The creature's tendrils spread throughout the city of Arkham, searching for her. It lurks in the darkness of every corner, tugging at the seams of reality. But Lita is nowhere to be found, so the creature dwells in the shadows to this day, searching...killing.

In your Campaign Log, record that Arkham succumbed to Umordhoth's terrible vengeance.
Each surviving investigator is killed.
The investigators lose.
OOC:   I definitely wish to choose an Investigator from the Dunwich Legacy. A new class, maybe Zoey. Also standalone scenarios have XP to spend--I'll check the rulebook.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Ouch! Well, guess we have to start over then. I'll take a random character from the full set, then. I have the Dunwich Legacy Deluxe Expansion, but I haven't even opened it yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Choose Mr. Handy's investigator [dice]1[/dice]

Tabs

Build a deck from the core x2 and The Dunwich Legacy (including Mythos packs). You can have up to 49 XP of cards for a standalone scenario, but every 10 XP beyond 9 adds a basic weakness to your deck, e.g. 28 XP adds two basic weaknesses (total three).

Let me know which cards you choose. I plan to start playing CARNIVALE in November.

Return to “The Night of the Zealot & Carnival of Horrors”