Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Midnight Masks

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 8 Investigation Phase

Daisy continues to rummage through her bag.
OOC,Free Action: Activate Old Book of Lore. [b]Skids[/b] searches the top three cards of his deck and draws one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

ImageImageImage

Skids chooses the .45.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Daisy flees north from the flapping horror overhead, only to run into a nasty-looking robed figure chanting and making arcane gestures. He sees her and rushes at her, but she makes a gesture of her own, and a flash of light explodes in his face and knocks him backwards!
OOC,Action 1: Move to Miskatonic University Action 2: Move to Northside Action 3: Play Blinding Light to Evade Wizard of the Order (Will 3 + 1[Holy Rosary] + 2[[b]Daisy[/b]'s Tote Bag] = 6 vs. 2 Agility): [dice]0[/dice] Success! 1 damage dealt to Wizard of the Order. You should hopefully be able to evade the Nightgaunt. If you draw a cultist token, you'll have to move twice to join me and then make a last desperate attack on the Wizard (or resign if you don't like the odds). Otherwise, you can move to Miskatonic U. and prepare for next turn by collecting resources and getting ready to play the .41 Derringer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Action 1: Evade the Hunting Nightgaunt. Agility 4 +1[.45 Automatic] vs. 1, Mythos token [dice]0[/dice] [0]

Action 2 and 3: gain 1 resource.

Action 4: Play .41 Derringer.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Instead of using your fourth action to play the .41 Derringer, you should move to Miskatonic University. Otherwise, the Nightgaunt will just engage you when it recovers and you'll have to evade it again. This way, you can play the .41 Derringer next turn, then move to join me, and then attack the Wizard. You'll have two shots. If for some reason you miss both times and I don't get Shrivelling or something else that will let me finish off the Wizard, I'll have to resign on my next turn. Or you could just gain a resource where you are and throw the dynamite, especially if another monster spawns at my location. I'm at full health, so I can take it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Action 4: Move to Miskatonic U.

Turn 8, end of Investigation Phase

Rivertown [Obscuring Fog, Hunting Nightgaunt (Exhausted)] <-> Southside, Miskatonic U. [4 clues, Locked Door] SKIDS, Graveyard [2 clues], Easttown

Downtown <-> Northside, Easttown

St. Mary's <-> Miskatonic U., Southside [Locked Door, Acolyte]

Northside [4 clues, Wizard of the Order [1/2] +3 doom (Exhausted)] DAISY <-> Miskatonic U., Downtown
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I already found 2 of the 4 clues in the Graveyard, and Wizard of the Order has taken 1 damage, so one more will finish him. If I don't draw Shriveling, you should go first and try to finish him off. Of course, we still don't know what encounters we'll draw in the Mythos phase.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Edited the game state above.  
Turn 8 Upkeep Phase

Ready all exhausted cards.

Skids: Image and gain 1 resource.

Daisy: Image and gain 1 resource.
OOC:   A thought: Skids has Evidence Collection (1 clue for a kill), and there is the location ability as well (2 clues for 5 resources).  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'd thought of using the location's ability, but that would run me out of resources. If you have a spare resource after killing the wizard, you probably should use Evidence. Then I only need one clue on my turn before we have enough that we can reveal the last cultist we need to collect.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 9 Mythos Phase

Place 1 doom on the agenda [4/8].

Advance agenda... [doom is 7/8].
OOC:   These cards are the last two. Next turn I'll need to reshuffle, I think there is a penalty due to an empty deck...  
Skids: Image [1 doom]
OOC:   Where shall he go?  
Daisy: Image Place 2 doom on Wizard [5].

Add 1 doom to Wizard [6].
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,We absolutely have to kill the Wizard this turn, or we lose. I have zero chance of being able to hit, so it's up to you. You'll need to go first. You don't actually have the .41 Derringer equipped, so you'll need to play that first, taking a damage from the Acolyte. Then you'll need to move to Northside with your second action, taking another damage and dragging the Acolyte with you. That leaves you with two actions to attempt to kill the Wizard. Don't waste one attacking the Acolyte first, as we can't risk only having one attack on the Wizard, in case you miss. You should commit Physical Training for the +1 Combat to boost your odds. If you defeat the Wizard in your first attack, you can then try to shoot the Acolyte. If you defeat the Wizard, that leaves me free to use the Book of Old Lore, collect another clue, and then draw the next card from the Cultist deck. If you fail, maybe the book will give me Shriveling. If it doesn't give me that or something else I can use to finish the Wizard, I'll have to resign.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Good news, Acolyte spawns at an empty location. I choose St. Mary's.  
Turn 9, end of the Mythos Phase

Rivertown [Obscuring Fog, Hunting Nightgaunt] <-> Southside, Miskatonic U. [4 clues, Locked Door] SKIDS, Graveyard [2 clues], Easttown

Downtown [Acolyte] <-> Northside, Easttown

St. Mary's <-> Miskatonic U., Southside [Locked Door, Acolyte]

Northside [4 clues, Wizard of the Order [1/2] +6 doom, DAISY <-> Miskatonic U., Downtown

Turn 9 Investigation Phase

Action 1: Play .41 Derringer (resource cost paid last turn).

Action 2: Move to Northside.

Action 3: spend 1 ammo: Fight, Strength 3 +2[.41 Derringer] +1[Physical Training] vs. 4, Mythos token [dice]0[/dice] [skull, doom on cultist, a whopping -6]--oh shit!
OOC:   Skids missed and shot Daisy, 1 damage, also the Wizard retaliated and dealt 1 damage to Skids.  
Action 4: spend 1 ammo: Fight, Strength 3 +2[.41 Derringer] vs. 4, Mythos token [dice]1[/dice] [+1]. 2 damage dealt to the Wizard.

Play Evidence Collection [spend 1 resource], discover 1 clue.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Nicely done! We might want to spawn the Acolyte Downtown, so we can get to and kill him quickly if we have to take out that doom token. The first thing I do this turn is use my free action to use the Book of Old Lore. Shall I use it on myself, or on you?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Placed Acolyte Downtown. Daisy can draw.  
ImageImageImage
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Daisy flees from the robed figure after the blinding flash of light, but the alley she runs into turns out to be a dead end. The wizard steps into the entrance, blocking her retreat, his hands crackling with lightning. "You have interfered for the last time!" he roared, raising his hands. "Now you die!"

"No!" cries Daisy, shrinking back against the wall at the rear of the alley. "Please..." Knowing that she is defenseless, she clenches her eyes shut and waits for the end.

Two shots ring out. Daisy feels something strike her in the shoulder and is slammed into the wall. Her eyes snap open, and she sees the cultist lying dead in the alley entrance. Behind her stands Skids with a smoking derringer in his hand. "Thank you," she says, slumping over. "You've saved my life." Then she clutches her shoulder to stop the bleeding. "Maybe you should practice your shooting some more before you try it again, though." She consults something in the book she carries, and suddenly it all clicks. "I think I know who one of the members of the cult is!"
OOC,Free Action 1: Activate Book of Old Lore. [b]Daisy[/b] keeps Working a Hunch. Fast Action: Play Working a Hunch. Discover one clue at Norrhside. Action 1: Spend 4 clues collectively to draw the top card of the cultist deck. I'll wait until I see what and where the Cultist is before doing my next two actions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Skids rushed up to Daisy. He gently held her arm just beneath the shoulder wound.

"Miss Walker, please forgive me."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course I forgive you," says Daisy, smiling. "I'll live, and I wouldn't have if you hadn't shown up when you did. Anyway, I just put all the pieces together and realized something. The owner of the Curiositie Shoppe told me that there's a woman named Victoria Devereux who is interested in a mysterious mask in his shop. It's right down the street, and she lives in this neighborhood too. The earlier information I learned at the graveyard connects her to the cult. I have some extra cash. I can go buy that mask right now." She hurries to the shop and purchases the mask, spending every last cent she has. Then she leads the way to Victoria's house and offers it to her if she will tell them what she knows.
OOC,Woohoo! :D That was the best possible outcome! I had been hoping there'd be a Cultist that could be taken care of by spending 5 resources, but to have her appear right on top of us is even better. I've got this, and we don't even have to worry about reshuffling the encounter deck. Action 2: Play Emergency Cache. 3 resources gained. Action 3: Parley with [b]Victoria Devereux[/b]. Spend 5 resources to add her to the victory display. There are now 6 unique Cultists in the victory display, so the Act advances.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Resolution 1: You've managed to obtain some useful information about the cult and its plans. You can only hope it's enough.

In your Campaign Log, under "Cultists We Interrogated," record the names of each unique Cultist enemy in the victory display.
In your Campaign Log, under "Cultists Who Got Away," record the name of each unique enemy still remaining in the Cultist deck or in play. If it is Agenda 1, record "The Masked Hunter" here as well.
If the Ghoul Priest is in the victory display, cross out "the Ghoul Priest is still alive" in your Campaign Log.
Each investigator earns experience equal to the Victory X value of each card in the victory display.
OOC:   Well played. I'll tot up the experience tomorrow.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Thanks! Looking at this, it seems that the Acolyte and Wizard of the Order might not count as unique Cultists in the victory display, as they have no Victory value. It sounds as though we need to get the five cards in the Cultist deck and the Masked Hunter. Do we need to keep playing in the hopes of getting Peter and Drew? EDIT: I checked the rules on arkhamdb.com about Unique, and it says this (see [url=https://arkhamdb.com/rules#Unique]this link[/url]): [quote]Unique () A card with the symbol before its card title is a unique card. There can be no more than one instance of each unique card, by title, in play at any given time. A player cannot bring into play a unique card if a copy of that card (by title) is already in play. If a unique encounter card that shares a title with a unique player card would enter play, discard the player card simultaneously as the encounter card enters play. [/quote] We need to collect cards with the asterisk symbol by their names. Neither the Acolyte or the Wizard have it, so we're not done yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Skids slumped against the alley wall and sunk down upon his haunches.

"Shoot! We've spent this awful night wiping up these slime balls, and two of 'em are not the kingpins we needed to find." He smiled wryly at Daisy, "And I shot my favourite librarian!"
OOC:   I'm inclined to quit this scenario... we've missed out on 2 xp. What do you think?  

Return to “The Night of the Zealot & Carnival of Horrors”