ImageImageImage 4
ImageImage
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: The Gathering

Post by Tabs »

"Miss Walker," said Skids, leafing through the documents which were spread over the desk, "I can't fathom this mystery at all--if there is a mystery. Maybe the bloody disappearances are down to a lone psychotic hobo?"
OOC:   I'll play Skids's Investigation Phase tomorrow.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Daisy Walker glances up from examining the newspaper articles and gives Skids a skeptical look. "Highly unlikely," she says. "In this incident, two people disappeared at once. This isn't just one man. I think it's an organized group." Her keen eyes suddenly notice something - or rather its absence. "Where did the door go?1"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Skids swore tamely due to the presence of the librarian: "Jeepers!"

He leapt up from the desk. Stepping across the study, he slapped and knocked on the wall where the door had been. "It's gone!" he said stupidly.

Action 1: play Burglary and spend 1 resource.

Action 2: Investigate Lore 3 Chaos token... see Chat
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Action 2: Investigate Lore 3 and play Opportunist +1 and Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] - auto fail, and my first roll too! :(

Action 3: Investigate Lore 3 and Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] - elder sign! :D +2 and gain 2 resources, shroud is 2 so gain 1 Clue.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 1 Investigation Phase
"There's got to be another way out of here," says Daisy, perplexed. "Dr. Christopher, help us search." She had persuaded Dr. Milan Christopher to join them in their investigation. It doesn't take them long to notice that there is something unusual about the carpet.
OOC,Action 1: Play [b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]. 4 Resources spent Action 2: Investigate (Intellect 5 + 1[[b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]] = 6 vs. 2 Shroud): [dice]0[/dice] Success! 1 Clue gained from Study, 1 Resource gained from [b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]. Action 3: Investigate (Intellect 5 + 1[[b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]] + 1[Deduction] = 7 vs. 2 Shroud): [dice]1[/dice] Success! 2 Clues gained from Study, 1 Resource gained from [b]Dr. Milan Christopher[/b]. Does the Tome have to be played as an Asset for the Elder Sign to allow me to draw an extra card, or is the fact that it's in my hand enough? In any case. we've completed Act 1 with 4 Clues between us! :D
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Re. Daisy's ability and tome, I'm unsure, but I feel she should've paid the resource cost for her to benefit; anyway, the Grim Rule says to choose the worst option. :) **EDIT see below**

I've hidden my HAND behind a spoiler button.  

"Oh, well played!" he said to the big doctor.

Upkeep Phase

Gain 1 card and 1 resource.

Skids Image Daisy Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   EDIT see above. "Control" is defined the Rules Reference and includes an investigator's hand, deck and discards. Therefore, I think it s/be Daisy draws 3 cards. Agree?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Wow, that's even better than I'd hoped! If I have three Tomes in my entire deck (including my hand), then yes, I'd draw three cards. I haven't counted them myself. Shouldn't the next Act have kicked in as soon as we got four Clues?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   I've always immediately advanced the Act, but I think that we should wait until the beginning of the next Investigator Phase; my reason is that some monsters spawn at empty locations and if there is nowhere to go it is discarded instead.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Shouldn't the Grim Rule apply, then? If we advance the Act now, the monsters would spawn in the Hallway with us rather than be discarded. Advancing from Act 2 to Act 3 specifically says that the Clues must be spent at the end of the round (i.e., after Upkeep), but not in this case. EDIT: On p.10 of Learn to Play, Advancing the Act says that Clues are spent during any Investigator's turn, so we would have done it before the Upkeep Phase. I suppose we could wait until the start of the next Investigation Phase and then leave any monsters stranded. The only exception is if an Act has an Objective (such as Act 2).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   I'll post your 3 cards tomorrow. And begin a new round.  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ImageImageImage
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That Necronomicon is nasty! :shock: Got to get rid of it as soon as I can. Fortunately, my special ability lets me get a free Activate Tome Action during each of my turns. Since I drew this card during my turn, I can use it on the first turn, so I'll do that. I played the first scenario solo again, and this time it was easier now that I knew what to expect and could prepare for it. I won, but it was a near thing. I had the Machete and Beat Cop early on in the game. Paranoia hit me, but I didn't lose much and still had an Emergency Cache. I was able to avoid the Flesh Eater spawning since the Attic wasn't in play yet. The Icy Ghoul spawned in the Cellar while I was up in the Attic, but I took care of it. I found both Clues in the Attic and went down to the Hallway, where the Encounter card that Mythos Phase was Obscuring Fog, which did absolutely no harm. Then I went down to the Cellar and finished off the Icy Ghoul with two swipes of my Machete for an extra VP, and I used my special ability to get one of the Cellar Clues without having to Investigate down there. I lost my Vicious Blow when advancing from Act 1 to 2, but fortunately I kept my Dynamite Blast (that's how I lost in in my first game, not the Crypt Chill). I made sure I had enough Resources when I advanced to Act 3. A Ghoul Minion spawned at the same time the Ghoul Priest appeared, which made things harder, but the Dynamite Blast took care of them. Unfortunately, they both got Attacks of Opportunity, so I took 3 damage and 3 horror, plus another 3 damage from the Dynamite Blast. Fortunately, I was able to finish the Ghoul Priest with my next Machete attack. However, I ended up taking a point of mental trauma anyway for watching my house burn down, but I think it's better in the long run.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,It certainly helps to know what's round the corner! I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the next scenarios, I found 'em tough going.
1 Doom added to the Agenda [1/3]

Will 2 Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (-1) vs.4

DISCARD Image

Daisy Image
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,It'll probably be some time before I get to the other scenarios in solo play. I'll probably end up playing them here first. I have a huge backlog of games I haven't even played once yet, and I'd like to try some of them. [b]Luca[/b] is awesome! It's a shame you lost him. It's a shame no monsters popped up, as they'd have been discarded anyway when we advance the Act. Still, it could have been worse. There's nothing that can be done about Ancient Evils, but we're still making good time even with 2 Doom tokens.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

1 doom added to the Agenda [2/3]
ooc,Such as? I had Scythe for Christmas, but I've only admired the minis.
OOC:   Luca is awesome. His card was at the bottom of my deck, so I figured that the scenario would be over long before I reached the card. I have a second copy of Leo de Luca in there somewhere. Also, I may get to reinstate a discard...  
4 Clues spent, Act advanced.

"This way," said Skids, jumping though the doorway and onto the soft dirt in the hallway below. He helped Daisy down. "It smells here--burning... and something awful."

ImageImage

ImageImage
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 2 Investigation Phase
"You may want to consider replacing your housekeeper, Mr. O'Toole," says Daisy, raising an eyebrow. "We'll need to find a way through that barrier. Shall we split up? You could go upstairs, and I could go downstairs? I've got a flashlight."
OOC,Are you allowed to look through your deck to discard a card, or does it have to come from your hand or play area? We don't both have to go the same way, which will cut down on the automatic losses for entering the Cellar and Attic. However, having us two rooms away from each other could be dangerous. In any case, I'm best suited to search the Cellar, but I'd like to get rid of the Necronomicon first. I can use it once as a free Action, and spend an actual Action to finish it. Then I can play my Flashlight and move to the Cellar, so that I can start Investigating next turn. Or, if I wait until next turn to finish off the Necronomicon, I can Investigate once this turn, though there is a greater chance of automatic failure. The Parlor should be in play too, it's just inaccessible for now. I have too many games to list them all. Scythe is one of them. I backed it on Kickstarter, but I haven't even opened my copy yet. I also recently got the expansion. I have played someone else's copy a couple of times, though. I also have Mansions of Madness, both first and second editions, and haven't tried either one yet. The next game on my playlist is Tiny Epic Western, which I've been wanting to try for a while. Other games I'm eager to play are Black Orchestra, a cooperative game where the players conspire to assassinate Hitler and overthrow the Third Reich, and Days of Ire: Budapest 1956, about the Hungarian uprising against the Soviets. And I have expansions for Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror I haven't tried yet. And I have plenty, plenty more. I just haven't had time to play them,
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   "Control" is defined as all of an investigator's cards...

Okay, Skids will goto the Attic, but first he'll use Burglary.  
ooc,MoM 2nd edition is iffy solo, I think--too many bits to setup. I love the idea of Black Orchestra and Days of Ire. I'm bored with Eldritch Horror, and sold Elder Sign. I'm toying with the idea of playing Arkham Horror again, which I've not played since doing so here--that's 2012.

"Mrs. Hughes has really let things slide," agreed Skids.
Cellar unlocked,[img]https://arkhamdb.com/bundles/cards/01114.jpg[/img]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Action 1: activate Burglary: Investigate. Lore 3 Chaos token [dice]0[/dice] (tentacles--nuts!) vs. 1

Action 2: move to Attic.

Take 1 horror.

Action 3: Investigate. Lore 3 Chaos token [dice]1[/dice] (-1) vs. 1

Gain 1 Clue.

Return to “The Night of the Zealot & Carnival of Horrors”