The Path to Carcosa

Investigators set out to save Arkham by defeating an Ancient One who is attempting to break into this world through gates in other dimensions.

Moderator: Tabs

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: The Path to Carcosa

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Mythos Phase

Mark is starting to get frustrated by the all of the obstacles.
OOC,Discard Guts.
Turn 6 Investigator Phase
Mark's dismay gets even worse when he gets backstage.

Image Image Image
OOC,Action 1: Move to Theatre. Action 2: Move to Backstage. Discard Knife and True Grit. Action 3: Investigate (Intellect 2 + 2[Evidence] = 4 vs. 3 Shroud): [dice]0[/dice] Elder Sign, +0, success! 1 clue gained.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Well done finding that clue. NB hand size is checked at the end of the Upkeep Phase

1 Move to Image

2 Investigate 5 +1[Dr. Milan] +2[Fieldwork] +1Image vs. 4, chaos token skull -1 ; success! gain 2 clues and 1 resource and 1 victory point (3 in total)

Withers roots around the Lighting Box, finding a ticket to the play's second act.

We now have 6 clues, Withers has 1 action left, advance the act?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Thanks! If I had known that the discarding didn't happen until Upkeep, I might have considered moving to a new location, but it's still better that I found the clue now. Yes, please advance the act. We need to know what to do next before doing anything else. When Upkeep comes, I'll see if I want to discard the card I draw instead of one of the other ones I chose to discard.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Spend 6 clues to advance the act

Set-aside locations 1-2 Lobby Doorway 3-4 Backstage Doorway [dice]0[/dice] ImageImage

Act 2a [dice]1[/dice] Image

Withers action 3 Move to the Lobby
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 6 Upkeep Phase

Mark catches sight of a shadowy figure in a pallid mask slipping back into the theater and recognizes him as one of the actors. He starts to follow him.
OOC,Gain 1 resource and draw 1 card. I like the card I drew, so my discard choices stand. Nicely done! I can take care of the Man in the Pallid Mask, next turn as long as I don't get intercepted by any nasties or lose any actions. I happen to have dynamite and the resources to use it. With three actions I can move to the Lobby and toss it into the Box Office!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 6 Upkeep Phase

Gain 1 card (Trench Coat) and 1 resource

New revealed card Image

Withers sees someone flitting about the Box Office

"It's the Stranger! What the hell do I do?" he thinks, then "Where's Harrigan got to?"

Map

Image Theatre -> Backstage -> Lobby

Image Lobby [Withers] -> Theatre -> Balcony -> Box Office -> Lighting Box [The Stranger]

Image Backstage [Harrigan] -> Theatre -> ?

Balcony -> Theatre -> Lobby
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 7 Mythos Phase

Image Image

Place 1 doom on the agenda 6/6 ; advance

ImageImage

Mark Harrigan Image

Norman Withers Image

I'm thinking that Harrigan take out the Emissary, then Withers perform the investigate action on the Pallid Mask card?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 7 Mythos Phase
Mark is shocked to stumble over the gruesome remains of one of the actors. It is only his memory of Sophie that enables him to keep his cool.
OOC,Fast Action: Activate [b]Sophie[/b] and take 1 direct damage. Will check (WIll 3 + 2[[b]Sophie[/b]]= 5 vs. 3[Rotting Remains] [dice]0[/dice] -2, success!
Turn 7 Investigator Phase

Mark hears the inhuman music coming from the theater and is horrified by what he sees when he peeks through the curtain. Fortunately, he came prepared. Taking out his stick of dynamite, he lights the fuse, throws it at the enormous creature, and takes cover. There is a deafening blast, and then he emerges and rushes through the remains of the curtain. To his utter shock, the beast is not yet dead, but he finishes it off with a swift kick.
OOC,Action 1: Play Dynamite Blast on Theater, spending 5 resources. Royal Emissary takes 3 damage. Action 2: Move to Theatre. Action 3: Fight (Combat 5 vs. 4[Royal Emissary]): [dice]1[/dice] -1, success! Royal Emissary takes 1 damage and is defeated.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ImageImage 3/6

Turn 7 Investigator Phase

1 and 2[Frozen in Fear] Move to the Box Office

3 Image 5 +1[Dr. Milan] vs. 2 +2, chaos token -1 ; success!

ImageImage see below

Act
As you face off with the Stranger, you get the sense that he is grinning beneath his pale, faceless mask. "Where is everyone?" you ask, but he does not respond. "What is going on?" He remains silent and steps back as you approach, until his back is against the corner of the room. You spin in shock as the windows shatter, and a deluge of cold salt water floods the room. You turn back to the Stranger, but he is gone.

Instead of discarding The Man in the Pallid Mask, move him to the Lobby.
Add 2 [squid] tokens to the chaos bag.
Place 1 horror on each Private location. Until the end of the scenario, horror on locations represents flooding water, and each location with horror gains: "Forced - When you would leave this location: Test [Agility](2). If you fail, take 1 damage and cancel the effects of the move. (Limit once per round.)"
Keep this card next to the act deck as a reminder, and advance to act 3a.

Image 4 +1[Persuasion skill] vs. 3, chaos token skull -1 ; success!

A flash of orange light and then kaboom!

Withers shoots a glance back to the Theatre

"Harrigan!" he exclaims. And then, nodding "So this is how it must be. Steel yourself, Withers" and creeps forward towards the Box Office
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 7 Upkeep Phase

Mark collects himself and prepares to head for the lobby to follow the mysterious figure.
OOC,Gain 1 resource and draw 1 card. I'd completely forgotten about [b]Sophie[/b] (I know, bad [b]Mark[/b]! :oops: ). Had I remembered, I would have activated her and taken 1 damage to get +2 to that Will test rather than risk taking horror. Can I go ahead and make that adjustment?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Sure
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 7 Upkeep Phase

Gain 1 card (Knife) and 1 resource

New revealed card Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Map

Image Theatre [Harrigan] -> Backstage -> Lobby

Image Lobby [The Stranger] -> Theatre -> Balcony -> Box Office [Withers] -> Lighting Box

Image Backstage -> Theatre -> ?

Balcony -> Theatre -> Lobby

The 4 Private locations, 2 doors off the Lobby and 2 doors off Backstage, are flooded

The windows smash and water cascades into the Box Office. Withers wades towards the exit but his slightly dicky leg--Philippines, 1900--makes it that much harder.

"Come on, old man, you can do it. This nightmare is almost done"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Turn 8 Mythos Phase

Place 1 doom on the agenda 4/6

Mark Harrigan Image

Norman Withers Image

Wither's agility is only 1 so he may have trouble getting out of the Box Office... Harrigan first and fight the Stranger?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Your move can only be canceled once per round, so if your first try fails, you get out on the second. You'd have to take a horror to have a third action, but if you did, you could still investigate this turn and, if successful, resign next turn. I think that's our best bet, as I'm not sure I can bring down the Stranger this turn. If you agree, then you should go first. I'm not sure how Aloof enemies work. Do you have to engage them in order to fight them? Do you have to pass an evade check? I think at the end of last round, 1 horror was placed on the Lobby and Backstage as well. Fortunately, there's none in the Theater yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Phew! that's a relief, and yes re the flooding

Turn 8 Investigator Phase

1 Move to the Lobby [Forced - When you would leave this location: Test [Agility](2). If you fail, take 1 damage and cancel the effects of the move. (Limit once per round.)] Agility 1 +1[Trench Coat skill] vs. 2, chaos token +1 ; success! but take 1 horror[Spirit's Torment]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

2 Image 5 +1 vs. 4 +2, chaos token squid -4 and take 1 horror ; FAIL

3 Image 5 +1 vs. 4 +2, chaos token -1 ; FAIL

Withers easily escapes from the Box Office but to his dismay discovers the Lobby flooded as well. The Man in the Pallid Mask stands in the Lobby's centre, his legs awash with seawater, raising his clenched fists to the heavens

"Indeed it's time" he cries
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Well, that stinks! I can't possibly defeat him this turn, since it takes one or two actions just to move to the Lobby and another to engage him in order to be able to attack. Even if I take a horror to move faster, I still can't finish him in one hit, and then I'll take another horror if still engaged with him, and I might take a third if I draw the wrong token. I really can't afford to take too much horror. I think I should spend two actions to move safely to the Lobby and then a third to equip an asset that will set me up for next turn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes. If Harrigan gets to the Lobby, next turn Withers’ll add an intellect skill to the test and hopefully Harrigan can donate one too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Turn 8 Investigator Phase

Mark follows the man back into the lobby, which he finds is awash with chilly water, so he must tread carefully. If there's a way out of here, this man will know it.
OOC,I can manage at most +1 to help you. If you can succeed and have one action left to resign, then I can resign on my turn so that we complete the scenario with the Royal Emissary still in the Victory display. Also, if you get a bad Mythos card (such as an enemy), I can take it onto myself to leave you free to investigate. Action 1: Move to Lobby. Lose 1 action. Action 3: Play Physical Training, spending 2 resources. [img]https://arkhamdb.com/bundles/cards/01017.png[/img]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Arkham Horror”