The Hunt for Kalituk (Faroo, Kirima, Kinaktok)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

Ash
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Re: The Hunt for Kalituk (Faroo)

Post by Ash »

Mythos check (1d100+15=99)

(Is that a fail?) I added 15 to the roll. Mayb e I should have added 15 to my Mythos score.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

- you should have added 15 to your mythos skill. It's still a fail though...

Faroo can remember little of what his Elders have taught him of the Ijirraat. He can vaguely recall a battle he had recently where they were attacked by wolves with red eyes, baring the symbol of some Viking god. One thing he is sure of however, the fox was no ordinary fox. It was an Ijiraat.

The Ijiraat are the shape-shifters. These land spirits are elusive and can transform into any arctic animal to disguise themselves. Most often they take the shape of a raven,bear, wolf or even a human. The only part of the Ijiraat that it cannot disguise is its red eyes. In all of it forms, both human and animal, its eyes always remain red. These hidden creatures are portrayed as evil and malicious in many stories. These stories warn that the Ijiraat lie in wait for lone travelers, changing shape to fool and get close to the travelers. Some elders argue that these land spirits and are not inherently evil, but rather misunderstood. Although many interpretations of the Ijiraat exist, one thing seems to be certain: After an encounter with the Ijiraat people tend to experience memory loss and quickly forget the details of what happened.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Faroo informs the elders of this dog with red eye
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Faroo walks with Qannaq back to the Elder's hutt, bringing the Thule boy with him as instructed.

Many of the Dorset people are now gathered in the large Elder's Hutt. When Faroo enters the Hutt a silence washes over the excitable crowd. Oddlog, Faroo's Viking captive looks to Faroo with hopeful eyes. The Viking barbarian had not been harmed in Faroo's absence but the look of fear permeating through Oddlog's every movement reminded the Dorset Hunter of a snared wolf.

Elder Makittuk rises and nods to Faroo as he took his place amogst his people.

Sit Faroo. Is the boy ready?

Torngusac nods and then Faroo tells the Elders of red eyed dog.

Elder Pamiruq shakes his head.

We don't have time to deal with malcontent spirits in the wake of this attack on our lands. Qannaq.... Find this Ijiraat and deal with him as you see fit.

Qannaq quickly rises and exits the tent.

Elder Makittuk then addresses Faroo.

Faroo, this Norseman is your prisoner. You will begin the Interrogation.
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

OK,

Tell us more of this Malcorka my friend?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Oddlog seems more relaxed when Faroo begins his questions. Torngusac takes the hint quickly and begins to translate the burly Viking's words as he speaks them. Every so often the Thule boy scratches at the Viking rune carved on his forhead.

Oddlog spits suddenly at the mention of Melkorka.

That witch of a whore... She is up to something. We all thought we were here on another one of Captain Gunharr's campaigns. He gets all the good ones... Storm the shores... Take what we want... Our job was to hold the South Eastern Shores of Helluland until the king arrived. Then we were hit by...

Oddlog stops...

Demon Whales!

Oddlog looks around the room judging the Dorset tribe's reaction to the Vikings response. Loud murmors of Ijiraat and spirit whales bouce around the Elder's Hutt. Oddlog continues.

Only ten of us made it shore. Those gods be damned beasts tore our ship to splinters. The rest died in those bloody waters. We all wanted to wait by the water.... Set a fire! Maybe the king's dragon boat would be closer than we thought, but Melkorka pushed us on... That dirty old cow! Melkorka's got her beady little bitch eyes set on a rune she says is in these mountains.

When Captain Gunharr rose from the dead with his army of drowned Vikings left from our ship. I ain't lying for sure as Hel. One of them was me friend Hildegarr. I saw with me own eyes as a giant whale swallowed him whole for sure I did.

Anyways... Melkorka's a bitch. She'll put a hex on yah! Put her old hag finger in your ass and twist it for giggles. That bitch!
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Well Elders what do you think of that?

Where can we find this Melkorka now Oddlog?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Elders are shocked at the Viking's crude tongue. Torngusac translates the Vikings words as best he's able.

The witch left me to rot. She took the food we stole from those Skraelings we killed and head off into the mountans without me... Chosen one my asshole! I'm hungry like a blocked up whore! You feed your prisoners here?
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Faroo knocks the Viking out as he is tired of his cursing
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc - sorry for ther delay ash. I got a couple more Eskimos to join your thread but I'm getting them set up.

The Edlers nod as Foaroo knocks the beligerant Viking to the hut floor. It is clear they aprove.

Elder Pamiruq calls out to his fellow hunters

If all of the invaders are as stupid as this one, we will have little trouble hunting them.

Edler Makittuk scoffs.

Do not forget Pamiruq... that there are spirt users amongst these Norsemen. Men and women of great magic and understanding of this world. Those like our Viking friend Thorrin and these foul witches. I fear great evil is upon us.

One of the hunters drags Odlog off to the side.

Faroo's spots his friend Mannitok flash Oddlog a murderous look before turning his head down back to his Elders.

What are we to do then Elders... Do we leave the village and flee into the mountains... Do we hunt these Barbarians.. Or do we do nothing as we always have and hope the godess brings peace to us on a sled pulled by Ijiraat dogs?

Elder Makittuk rises and waves his finger to all the Dorset men standing in the hut.

This is a decision our Chief must make for himself. Who among you would make this choice?
Kirima
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Kirima »

"Father, calm yourself," says Kirima to Makittuk.
"Our people need a hero, a strong leader who will challenge the barbarians!" The passion of her outburst is tempered by the realisation of her lowly status.
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Re: The Hunt for Kalituk (Faroo, Kirima, Kinaktok)

Post by Midnightlight »

Kinaktok stood, unsure, but very willing to speak his mind.

"She is right. We do need to do something about this."

Waiting another moment, until everyone was listening, he continued on.

"We cannot make it to the mountains and hope to survive there. We need to stay here, Ijiraat or not. We can defend our home, but only if we properly scout what these vikings might be doing."
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Let's prepare another scouting party and leave the next morning before dawn. Who is with me?
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

"I will go with you. Is there anyone else who would go?" Kinaktok spoke, his tone fishing for other members of the tribe.
Kirima
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Kirima »

"I have the body of a weak girl; but, inside beats the heart of an ice bear!" she shouts, almost beating her breast - and obviously not heeding her own advice to Makittuk. "Let me go, father. I want to go!"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Elder Makittuk stands and looks sternly at her daughter.

No Kirima, It is forbidden!

Elder Pamiruq stands and argues with his long time rival Makittuk

We have already lost four Hunters to these troubling times. How many would we send out into the snow, leaving our village unprotected if these Norsemen find us while our men are scouting the plains. I say let your daughter go before there are too few men to hunt once this trial of spirit has passed.
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

"Perhaps it would be best if Kirima acted as a messenger. While those of us who are looking out, if something comes up, Kirima can be sent back quickly to inform the village"
Kirima
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Kirima »

"Yes! Yes! Oh please. A messenger: I can run as fast as any boy of 15 summers - all our people know that to be true," she looks round the gathering imploringly, as if to convince them by her enthusiasm. "And I can cook: my caribou and lichen stew will give men strength to kill the barbarian!"
Ash
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Ash »

Hmmm stew, that sounds promising.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Elder Makittuk nods defeatingly.

Very well. Faroo... You will take my daughter Kirima and Paniruq's son Kinaqtok onto the plains to search out these Norsemen. Tell us where they are headed and count their numbers.

Edler Paniruq interrrupts patting his son on the back.

Yes! Perhaps the sons and daughters of the Dorset Elders will bring us information we can use, rather than the blithering obsceneties of this barbaric fool.

Return to “Chapter 4 : Spirit and Scramasax”