Brow of Y'mer (Alrik, Weoulf, Orm and Berger)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Brow of Y'mer (Alrik, Weoulf and Orm)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Jarrl scowls and nods defeatedly.

It is the only way into Jotunheim... Come I will take you to the place where you die!

The unusual group begins their travels through the tunnels of the Temple of Tyr. After a long, winding walk, the tunnel opens up deep in the mountains of Helluland. A long snowy plain stetches out before them leading into another mountian

Greggrigg gives updates every so often to keep Alrik informed of how long each leg of the journey will take.

The Ice Wall is just a few hours walk from here.... Then it will be up to you to negotiate passage into Jotunheim.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

"By the way, who is this Torrin-Dor?" Orm asks the captive frost giant.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Frost Giant smiles.

Torrin-Dor guards the passage to Jotunheim from this world. He is older than Thor... Some say the cow licked him free from the Frost Giant Y'mer along with Odin and Bor.

The Frost Giant continues to walk in slow strides through the snowy plains as the mountains approach from the North.

Many beleive he is rooted here in thes lands now... Freed from the god's rule by the godess of this realm. Sedna is her name.

Gregrigg shivers at the mention of Sedna. Alrik feels the cariboo shaking as the Giant speaks. The Frost Giant, looking in Alrik's direction, scoffs at Gregrigg.

This one will drown in Sedna's arms for his betrayal.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Piano man »

Alrik pats Gregrigg's neck soothingly. There is no need for you to come in there with us if you do not wish Gregrigg. I appreciate your company, but if you want to wait for us on this side of the pass then we will see you once we've recovered the spear.

He spares a look to Jarrl. You are bound to me by your honor. Get us past this Torrin-Dor, and help us retrieve the spear. Once we are free of your lands with our prize then I shall release you from your bond. Until then though I will expect you to act as though your bond means something and curb your tongue.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm strokes the hilt of his sword as to make Alrik's intent clear: Serve us well and you will live, betray us and you will be the first to die!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Jarrl nods.

Very well Son of Odin! I will curb my Jotun tongue for now. We will see what the Big Man says when we reach the wall.... I will do my best to persuade him...

ooc- Spot Hidden and listen checks please.
mikc
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by mikc »

Weoulf hears something, but cannot see anything when he looks for the source of the sound.

"What was that noise?" he hisses, motioning the others - especially the giant - to be quiet.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2050206/
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"What noise?" Orm asks. He is oblivious to any unseen danger.

1d100=98, 1d100=78
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

ooc spot and listen failed.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Five Vikings walk along side the Frost Giant Jarrl in the moonlight with little to see but the surrounding mountains and the snow. The sun finally rises, washing much need warmth over their frost covered faces. Having spent enough time on Helluland, the Vikings knew the daylight hours were short... four possibly five hours of sunlight at most.

After another hours march, The Vikings spot a large Glacial wall approaching from the North.

Jarrl smiles.

The walls of Jotunheim are before us. I have no power over its keeper. He will likely slay us all.

Alrik hears Gregrigg whimper at the thought.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Can he be bargained with?" Orm asks. "Although you fell easily before our might Jarrl, this guardian may not. But then again... you can be lying."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Jarrl scratches his giant blue beard.

Hmmm... I suppose.

He then looks to the sacs the Vikings carry, laden with trinkets and treasures from the treasure trove of Tyr.

Are those from the temple of Tyr? Did you open the treasure chamber of the one armed god? Hmmm... Of course you did or the Fenris Wolf would not be free. If you have weapons that were used in the old wars... Torrin-Dor may just be willing to Bargain. Be forwarned Vikings! If you insult the Old Giant. He will kill us all. Be fair and perhaps generous in your offerings.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"I thank you for your advice." Orm did not trust the giant as far as he could throw him and considering the giant's size that was not far at all.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

A giant Icewall appears before the Vikings, rising slowly from the horizon as the misfit adventurers continue to advance towards the mountains. Jarrl leads the group forward until the party is finally within a stone throw's distance from the glacial wall.

Jarrl stops the party and speaks proudly to the Vikings

We have arrived at the gates of Jotun.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm tries not to look overwhelmed by the size of the gates to Jotunheim, but it's hard not to. "We'd better press on then" he says. "I'm not fond of bargaining with the treasures of the Aesir, but we might not have a choice in the matter."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Five Vikings and their mishappen companions slowly approach the massive wall of ice. As they close the distance, a voice bellows out to them, echoing seemingly from all directions.

Jarrl! Why in Y'mer's three mouths would you bring these men to my wall. It is forbidden.

Jarrl shudders at the sound of his name and takes a step forward.

They have bested me and spared my life. I had no other choice....

The voice interrupts the Frost Giant.

Silence Fool! I'll hear no more from you! Giants are sport for gods, not men! Who Dares think themselves better than Jottun?

Orm's sword glows even more brightly.

ooc- Pass a Sanity Check if you wish to speak or shudder in fear. (Orm you get -20% to your roll for the sword. A wild courage fills your heart)
mikc
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by mikc »

ooc - Invisible Castle seems to be down so I just rolled dice and Weoulf failed his SAN roll.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

ooc rolled a 98...I think that just might be a fail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQgDY0pZ68

Despite Alrik's normally calm demeanor he finds himself stricken fear, and he barely notices the sudden warmth, that begins to spread down his legs. He opens his mouth to speak and finds himself unable to speak. All of Jarl's warnings were not exaggerated, but couldn't possibly have come close to this. Noticing the glow from Orm's sword, he looks to the man trying to anchor himself to that image to keep his mind from reeling out of control, as fights desperately to hang on to his sanity...

ooc I noticed after the fact that the link I posted wasn't the link to my rolls. I left it there for your enjoyment. :)
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

OOC: San roll 1d100=67 subtracting 20 gives a total of 47. A pass.

While wearing his sword attuned to the slaying of giants, Orm felt no fear. "Guardian, we come here wielding weapons of the Aesir. We do not wish to harm you, since we have no quarrel with your kind, but if it comes to that we must strike blows I am not afraid of that, not as long as I'm carrying this." Orm raises his sword so the giant can see it clearly. "Now is there some way we can pass? Perhaps a bargain can be struck?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The deep voice gasps in surprise as Orm raises his sword.

The ice shakes as a hand, larger than any ship the Viking's had ever seen, grasps onto the walls edge. The hand digs into the ice and man-size chucks fall around the party's feet as the giant lifts itself into view. Towering over the Ice wall, the "Big Man" stares down at Orm and growls low and loud enough to shake the ground at their feet.

RRRRRRRRGH!

The Giant raises his own blade high into the air. It catches so much of the sun that it seems to glow in it's metallic glory. The Vikings were sure the giant could rend the very Earth with the sword he held in just one of his massive hands.

You carry the Jotun Banamaður son of Odin. Older than most of the Gods. Used to cut the Brow from Y'mir himslef. I would kill you now if your blade would not hold it against me!

The Giant of giants lowers his sword.

Why would you bring such a thing to these lands. What do you plan to do with the Jotun Banamaður in Jotunheim?

Berger belches quietly to himself as he too tries to gather his courage. He whispers to orm.

You got em' Hic! Right where you want him Ormy... Get... Hic! Get em!

ooc- Weoulf and Alrik make sanity checks. If you pass, then you can speak freely. If you fail lose 1d6 sanity and continue to cower in your own urine. ;)

Return to “Chapter 4 : Spirit and Scramasax”