An Important Gathering (Yuralria and Unulaq)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: An Important Gathering (Yuralria and Unulaq)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Elders seemed shocked and alarmed at Unualq's report. For the longest time there is silence as they take in his words.

Finally, Elder Makittuk looks sternly at Unulaq.

It would appear to us that your council is wise Unulaq. How the spirits will react to this news is an entirely different animal. If the Norse have found our village we cannot stay. We will retreat into the mountains as we have done so in the past; long before our time. If they have not, then perhaps we have missed their onslaught as your Norse friend believes is inevitable.
The Elders then speak to each other in hushed tones leaving Unulaq and Yuralria little to do but stare blankly at each other.

Then Makittuk turns back to Unulaq.

Tornuaq and Kalituk have turned their backs on the Dorset people. Though their absence will be missed, we will spend no more of our resources racing around the plains for their benefit. Perhaps you and Thorrin will have better luck in discerning the proper course when you accompany our Shaman to the spirit world.

Elder Elder Kakoratuk speaks, holding little of the anger and disrespectful tones he has normally shown both Yuralria and Unulaq.

Hunt these witches if you must Unulaq but do not rush into these matters. Let the spirits of our ancestors guide you as they always have the Dorset People.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq nodded, "I will do my best. Thank you." He turned and headed out, waiting outside for Yuralria.

Once she came out, Unalaq said, "Accompany you to the spirit world? We can do that?"
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by trixie »

"Yes, it was a gift from Sedna when I spoke with her." She beamed at Unulaq, joining him outside, then sets off in the direction of her own hut, "Exciting isn't it! But I hope you are prepared. I have been chased before by....." She falters, then averts her eyes, "Well it isn't always a lovely adventure. It sometimes is terrifying. I am grateful that you will be joining me. Although I must warn you. You may have your eyes opened about Thorrin. I'm not sure yet what to expect when he comes with us. It may alert the witch to our presence, considering she is looking for him."
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Walking next to Yuralria back to her home, Unalaq shook his head as he said, "Somehow, I do not think she is looking for him anymore."
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

"Why would you think that? " Yuralria stops and turns, and looks at Unulaq quizzically. "Never mind, this is not the place. We will need Thorrin to join us as well. Where is he?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"He has taken one of those large beasts and is riding around our village looking for tracks," Unalaq states. "If the other Norse have been by our village, he will know, and we can tell the Elders." He looks out to the distance looking for Thorrin and little Tornugusak saying, "It shouldn't take them too long. Why don't you prepare what you need, and I'll bring Thorrin in as soon as he comes back." He pauses a moment and asks Yuralria, "Will we be able to speak to Thorrin in the Spirit Realm?"
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

"Yes, Unulaq, we will. Wonderful, isn't it?" She smiles, "Alright, I'll meet you at my hut. I will start my preparations in the meantime."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Ogtuk-luk returns before Thorrin and stands in front of Unulaq like a devoted soldier to whatever cause the Dorset hunter has aligned himself with.

All the fires are out Unulaq. I made our people understand the danger we are in with these Norse killers hunting the plains.

Then soon after, Thorrin and Torngusak ride up. Torngusak translates for the red haired Viking.

The Vikings have not been within a short ride of this village. This horse is amazing!

Unulaq is certain his last words are the boys own.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Thank you Ogtuk-luk," The Dorset hunter responded. "We will be safer without our fires darkening the skies. I expect there will be a lot of cuddling going on tonight."

After Thorrin and Torngusak returned, he listened intently on what they had to say and was greatful there was no signs of any Norse having been by earlier. "Horse?" Unalaq repeated and looked at the creature. "That's what it is called? It does seem a bit heavy for deep snow use. I think I will stick to my dog sled."

He looked to Thorrin and said, "Thorrin, we are to take a spirit trip with our Shaman. Will you be all right with that? Within the spirit realm, we will be able to speak to one another without need of an interpreter." He looked to Torngusak and said "Sorry, that means you'll have to stay here."

He looked back to Ogtuk-luk and asked, "Can you take Torngusak and tell the Elders what Thorrin and he found with regards to the Norse not having been nearby? I don't think our tribe should be moving, what with Faroo and the others still out on their missions."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Ogtuk-luk looks sternly at Unulaq.

My place is at the Shaman's side. I will protect your mortal coils while the Shaman guides you through the spirit world. Your bodies will be vulnerable as your spirits leave them.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Of course," Unalaq stated, "My mistake." He knelt down before Torngusak and asked him, "Can you tell the Elders about your trip with Thorrin and what he said about the Norse not having come across our village yet?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Ogtuk-luk nods and rushes away without a word.

Thorrin and Unulaq then make their way to the Shaman's hut. Thorrin says something to

Tongusak and the Thule boy protests for a moment before turning to Unulaq.

I'll be staying with Sashila's family until you get back Unulaq. Please come back soon.

Smoke billows out of the Shaman's hut archway as Thorrin and Unulaq approach. Thorrin smirks at Unulaq and then shrugs unclear what is custom. Unulaq knows that it is Dorset law that no man may enter the Shaman's hut without the permission of the Shaman or her protector. Chief Kalituk had broken this law many times when Aglakti was Shaman. It was quite scandalous at the time and proved to be a source of wonderful gossip.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

The Dorset hunter nodded to the child, "Yes. Please, take care of Sashila while I am gone. She is not feeling well, and needs someone to look after her."

Unalaq called within to Yuralria "We are here, may we enter?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq looks to Ogtuk-luk questioningly. "Perhaps she is deep in a trance. Should we go in? She is expecting us."
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

OC very funny....sorry for the wait.

"Yes.....you may enter" they hear from the other side of the deer skin, and as they part the fur, they see Yuralria bent over a large fire, throwing a grass on the flame. It billows smoke and the flame quickly disappears, leaving nothing but a noxious gas to fill the tent and burn their nostrils. After a moment, they feel quite light headed, and euphoria follows. "Please....sit down." Yuralria motions to sit cross legged near the fire, where they may sit and watch. They seem to find it mesmerizing all of a sudden, like they can't help their will to sit and stare at the curious fire all of a sudden.

Yuralria moves over to her desk, where she has several bowls laid out with different colored pastes in each one. She reaches into the bowl with two fingers, and paints her own face with a striking red, first on the forehead, then down the cheeks in vertical lines, then to the chin. She places her feathered mask over her forehead and eyes, so that only the cheeks and chin are visible. Unulaq and Ogtuk-luk will have heard her murmuring whilst she painted herself.

"You next"
she says to Unulaq, and begins to chant the same song while painting his face. She runs a white finger down his nose, black fingers down his cheeks and red across his forehead. While she does, he hears the same words over and over again. "tatkret ulureasukpok piktaungitok " which he would know means 'moon god, protect him from evil'. She leans in close, staring at him, as though possessed. He notices a distance in her eyes he'd never seen before, like she were replaced by a different soul. "You are responsible for him" she says plainly, then abruptly moves on to Ogtuk-luk.

For each man she uses a different combination of colors. Ogtuk-luk wears red down the nose, white on the forehead and black on his cheeks. She seems to take a few extra moments with him as well, with a slight coy grin as she does. "nalunaikuta sapputiwok uitayok "she utters while painting his face.

Unulaq could sense a certain reluctance when she moved on to Thorrin. Or was it uncertainty? Either way, her mood was definately subdued. She motioned to him that she would include him, and painted his face in all black. " takungartut talikpa " she chants, taking extra time with him and staring quizzically at him. It seemed as though Yuralria was not herself in the least. She stood abruptly and picked up her staff from the wall, shaking the bones tied to the long bone over the fire.

"Kakiaktok krauyimatauyo kublarpaluk "she murmurs, first softly while shaking her staff, then getting louder. The rhythmic motion grows faster and louder, and the beat seems to make the air swim and electrify. The men feel the scent of the room thicken, and their bones feel tired and heavy. Their eyes roll with sleep, their heads seem foggy and lay back with a thud on the ground behind them. They feel perfectly virile and alive in their own minds, but their bodies seem glued to the ground despite their best efforts to fight. It seems useless to bother, but better to enjoy the weighted feeling of bliss and ecstasy that filled their imaginations.

"Yes......yes......yes!!!!" Yuralria shouted, falling to her knees herself, in a heap of grinning triumph. She gripped her staff tightly, fell backwards next to Ogtuk-luk, her arms lay heavy on his side, and her own eyes rolled back. Her grin was a mocking sign of the incomprehensible joy of the moment that they all felt grip them.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc: Passing my post... kinda pointless since I've just passed out or something.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Thorrin Unulaq and Yuralria all awken suddenky sprawled around the Shaman's fire... Ogtuk-luk is missing....

The hut seems just as they left it at first glance, but as they rub heavy sleepb from their eyes, they begin to notice very suttle differences to the Shaman's hut's decour. Small items, both Yuralria and Unulaq know to belong to the old Shaman Aglakti, are strewn about the hut. A ritual bax carved from Driftwood, a Shaman's rattle bearing the face of the seal god, an assortment of furs the Shaman kept and had certainly left the village with...

Thorrin's eyes are wide with amazement and he runs his hand in front of his face. The movement is echoed by a near simultaneous blur that follows his movements closely. He smiles at Unulaq and speaks with a slow unnaturally hollow voice.

By the gods! We have crossed over!
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq smiled and nodded, "I guess we have." He lost his smile quickly as he said to Thorrin, "We are in the spirit realm. And though your body remains behind, you are not safe from danger. Be on guard, for we cannot be sure what to expect with the witches influencing things on their end."

He looks to Yuralria and says, "You did well, Yuralria. Every day, you impress me more and more. So, where do we go from here?"
ooc,Are my weapons with me, or should I be gearing up as we go along?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq's weapons are with him, as is Yuralria's gift from Sedna.... the narwhale spear. They familiarity grounds the Dorset warrior and the Shaman in this disturbing place.

Outside the hutt they all hear the sounds of wolves howling far off in the distance.

Thorrin draws his sword and looks curiously at the Shaman.

What next Yuralria?
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria stands and begins to pick up and inspect Aglakti's things, then moves to the door to peek out the flap.

"We must find and interpret what the gods tell us." She says simply, as though this were an everyday venture. To her it was, but it felt different with Thorrin. Enticing and unfamiliar......

She pulls the flap back and steps out, looking around quizzically.

Return to “Chapter 4 : Spirit and Scramasax”