OOC

Technology no longer serves man, it’s man who serves technology with a zombified mass of passive consumers. With earth ravaged by pollution and war, corporations fighting each other using puppet states, nobody seems to remember silly old tales of arcane horror.

Moderator: kabukiman

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

OOC

Post by kabukiman »

Here we can discuss about everyting.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Re: OOC

Post by kabukiman »

The jobs and specific skills.

Solo:
Skills: handgun, rifle, demolition, spot hidden, knife, 1 other weapon

Runner:
Skills: computer, 2 programming language, system knowledge, library use, spot hidden, cyberdeck design

Tech
Skills: basic tech, cyberdeck design, library use, electronics, weaponsmith, mechanic repair, pick lock
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Usually there are eight occupational skills for each profession in the regular rules, though this does vary a little, and many professions allow one of those skills to be freely chosen (as long as it makes sense). Since the solo only has six skills listed, you might want to add at least one skill to that (either another weapon of the player's choice, or perhaps the choice of a personal attack skill or Martial Arts), and then possibly an additional chosen specialty skill for some or all of the occupations. It might also make sense for a tech to have Electrical Repair as an occupational skill. You may also want to come up with a skill list for fixers, in case someone else wants to play.

For the skills that aren't part of the regular character sheet, what are their starting levels and how might each one be used? I'm guessing programming languages start at 1% just like spoken/written ones, but which languages are available and how are they used in the game world? Demolition, System Knowledge, Cyberdeck Design, Basic Tech, and Weaponsmith aren't listed on the modern character sheets either. Pick Lock is probably the same as Locksmith.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Thanks for the advices.

Well, I have decide it would be easier to only have 3 languages: one for the net (I call it Cybernet ++), another to AI (Bio-Basic) and finally another to create all kind of generic programms (NewJava).
Cybernet is to create all kind of programmes in the net: virus, antivirus, sites, improving programmes, etc. But since those are hard works, one sucess isn't enouth to create one programme, it is necessary severals sucesses... and time. So no chance of creating ex nihilo a virus to attack a data base.
To create an AI it's even more dificult: besides all those things, it is necessary real big computers (it means no normal player can create on in it's own a true AI). But it can create programmes to simple robots (or virus to them).
New java is to all kind of aplications: small databases, to make calculum, etc (so if you want to falsify the contability of a corporation you use NewJava).
System knowledge is a kind of library search/history in the net: where vto find any information, site, to know what kind of protection has a database.
To actually make an hack, you use the computer skill (and must of the net fight).

Weaponsmith is to repair, and improve weapons.
Basic tech is a kind of "fast talk" of repairings: it help to fix in a couple of minutes some machines. But don't expect to repair a car to make a long trip, to that it is necessary mechanical repair.

Demolition, System Knowledge, Cyberdeck Design and Weaponsmith, all start with 01%. Basic tech starts with 20%. All the skills listed here that existe in the rules start with the same percentage as in the book, new skills start with 01%, unless I say otherwise.

Ok, a new try:

Solo:
Skills: handgun, rifle, demolition, spot hidden, knife, 1 other weapon, weaponsmith, a marcial art

Tech
Skills: basic tech, cyberdeck design, library use, electronics, weaponsmith, mechanic repair, pick lock, electric repair

The runner stays the same.
As soon as possible, I will post the fixer skills
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, thanks. I'll probably have time to roll up my character this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have time tonight. Someone broke into my apartment while I was at work today and stole a bunch of my games (including Bioshock :cry: ) and a lot of coins. Whoever it was was very sloppy and left behind all kinds of evidence, and completely missed most of the good stuff.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

That's very bad! But to steal games and leave evidences? It must be really an amateur or someone you know... I hope the police catch him quickly.
How is bioshock? I have the demo, but I haven't installed yet.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It was probably a crack addict who stole the games to sell them to buy drugs. I doubt it was someone I know, but whoever it was sure was an amateur. Plenty of usable fingerprints were left behind, along with the hammer that was used to force open the lock. Thanks, and the police may have already caught him. The officer who came by said that someone was arrested for burglary just a couple of blocks away, and it could be the same person. I don't know how Bioshock is, as it was stolen before I had a chance to play it. Most of the games I bought in the last two years were taken, though some of the ones I most wanted to keep weren't. Most of the others can probably be bought again (many for less than I originally paid) with little difficulty if the stolen ones aren't recovered. Luckily all of my older games were left here, as a lot of them would be very difficult to find again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Different realities. Our addicted only steal persons and cars, never houses (those who steal houses are usually professionals), it's too complicated (and we have only heroine addicted, not crack).
Mr Handy, Tangerine and Mi-Go Agent: you can create the characters with the caracteristics and skills (leave the equipment for a further discussion) and send me by pm.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Really different reality, because when you said "steal houses", I thought, "Wow, they must be really aggressive to steal your house," before I realized it was an expression. And if you think cocaine is bad, you should learn about meth.

I don't actually own a copy of the CoC rulebook, and since I'm travelling now, I don't have access to the one I usually use. I have the Quick Start rules, but I forget how to work in character classes and skill points.

Also, I think it would be reasonable to switch "rifle" with "advanced crossbow" for my solo. This would actually be something of a disadvantage, since he wouldn't be skilled at using weapons dropped by foes. The one other weapon will skill probably be an axe, for somme real l33t hacking.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Some links to give you a good idea what I'm thinking about for equipment (actually, I'm still deciding between crossbow and compound bow):

http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/hovey_ ... sbow.shtml

http://www.cabelas.com/story-12/carlson ... e/53.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_bow

A good list with pictures of what modern bows look like (I don't hunt, I just use Google):
http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/arti ... ticles_id=
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You get EDU x 20 occupational skill points (not EDU x 15 as it says in the Quick Start rules), and INT x 10 hobby skill points. Occupational skill points can only be used for the skills that are listed for your profession (solo). The "other weapon" is your choice, so you'd probably want that to be the axe. The base skill for axe is 20%, so any points you put in the skill would add to that. Base levels for the other skills are: Handgun 20%, Rifle 25%, Demolition 01%, Spot Hidden 25%, Knife 25%, Weaponsmith 01%, and Martial Arts 01%. Crossbows aren't listed in the weapons table, so it's up to the Keeper what the base skill level is for it. Crossbows are easier to use without training than bows (which have a base of 01%); I'd think it should start at 20%, the same as for a handgun. Your hobby skill points can be used for any skills at all; you could even use them to increase your occupational skills further if you want.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tangerine »

Sorry to hear about the misappropriation of your stuff, Mr Handy! Have the police got back to you about the stolen items?

I'll PM you my basic character in a couple of days, Kabukiman- been doing Christmas shopping and packing as I'm flying up to Queensland tonight for a holiday for two and a half weeks. I have access to internet the whole time (assuming my laptop doesn't combust or anything), though the second week I might only be able to post once or twice every couple of days.

As for my techie, do I have a skill spot left for Martial arts? :D
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Well, next days will be pretty complicated to me, I will have family in my home, so I won't be able to be of any help.
Tangerine, you can use the hobby skills for martial art (any martial art). I guess crossbow can have 20%; i have in the real world tried a bow and was a total failure, but with javelins and and crossbow I was ok without any prior training. You only need some strenght to reload it (but for your character it won't be a problem).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Tangerine. I've called the detective assigned to the case a few times on Saturday, but he was out working on cases. I left a message and my number for him to call me back, but he hasn't yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

I've cobbled a rushed character together, including a crazily angsty past, in between family arriving and dinner preparations - I'll PM it to you momentarily, Kabukiman. I'm not sure about the skills or whatnot at the moment.
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

This will be probably my last message for the next 2 days, since I will have lot's of visits. Merry christmas for all of you!
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Indeed! Merry Christmas to everyone (post-christmas... <_< >_> )
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Ok, Mr Handy and Tangerine, you both can choose to have 2 chips of skills in the following conditions:
2 chips level 1 (30%) of any skills (this value is not cumulative with your knowledge, so if your character as a skill with 10% and the chip with 30% he will still only know 30%) or:
1 chip level 1 (30%) and 1 chip level 2 (20%) of the same knowledge that is cumulative with chip level 1 (so 30%+20%=50%). No chip of level 3 exist.
Any doubt, just ask.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Happy new year for all of you!
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

May the Stars Be Right!

By the way, I noticed a few things looking at our characters. First of all, we all had different ideas about how bleak the Cyberpunk world was, with Patrick Lee being pretty optimistic, myself being about halfway, and Delaney tinging his view in a slightly post-apocalyptic manner. Secondly, Patrick has a sort of all-phone (and a net link, which strikes me as slightly redundant). I assumed everyone would have something like that, or else the game wouldn't really be Cyberpunk. So what I'm really saying is...shouldn't I have one?

Return to “Pandora's Box”