Page 1 of 1

Olsen

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 am
by kabukiman
Docks, Rivers street, Arkham
-Ey sailor, do you want to spend a good time?
You look at the hooker; she must be 30, but seems 60. You are searching Manuel, a member of the crew. He said yesterday that he would go to an antiquarian to sell an old dagger, but he didn't return. And it's not normal. Even when he was dead drunk, he always returned.

Re: Olsen

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 pm
by welsh
OC- Oh Bah! We start! Do you mind if I provide a description of Manuel?

Olsen smiles at the girl, lites a butt and offers her one. "I wish I could, Luv, but I got business to attend to. Say, you haven't seen a Portuguese fellow? He's about 5 foot 8, maybe 5-10, dark hair, young, dark skinned, smells a bit like fish, goes by the name of Manuel? He's been at sea a bit and might have taken up with you or one of your friends? That or he might have found a bottle and an alleyway, eh?"

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 pm
by kabukiman
-Funny you ask that.
She shouts to another prostitute:

-Ei! Carol! What was the name of Glen customer yesterday, that had some guys looking for him?
-I don't know, i think he was spanish
-Manuel?
-Yeah, probably something like that.
-That's what i thought, thanks Carol!
She turn to you and says:
-Well, you see...
-WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU B***H?- says a man about 40 years, small (1,60) but very strong- if he wants to ay, great, if not, he may leave and stop making you lose your time.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 pm
by welsh
Olsen appraises the man, no doubt a local pimp. Professional services get paid by the time. How that time is used, however, is up to the contract. Very well then.

"Fair enough. You're a working girl and time is money. How much for the time for both of you? Say for about an hour?" Olsen asks the girls. "I want to find my crewman.We can discuss this over a cup of coffee, eh?"

Olsen considers returning to the vessel to fetch Bruno, who has the better people skills. Besides, Manuel is probably sleeping off a binge in some hotel or gutter or some woman's embrace. Looking for him might involve searching the entire town. If so, might as well see about drumming up some business. The pimp is right, time is money.

OC- couple of questions- I am assuming that this is Olsen's first visit to Arkham but he knows a little bit about the town- namely that the port is not very active, that its home of Miskatonic University, and that he's here on other business. Is this fair? Can you offer any more info on Manuel? How long he's been with Olsen's crew?

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: yes, you can assume that he knows those things. About contacts: he may know a couple of sailors, but nothing more. Manuel has been a member of the crew for the past 5 years. He was a fisherman before that, but his boat and crew sunk with a tempest; he survive and helped to save 2 other colegues; you heard the story and offered him a place. So what will you do?

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 pm
by welsh
OC- oK. Plan- Olsen will hire both prostitutes for a half hour or an hour, and buy them coffee and hear what they have to say. Afterall, they charge by the hour. After that, probably return to the boat to fetch Bruno and give some instruction to the crew. I'd like Karl to do some work on the engine and Felix to keep an eye on local port activity. If there is alcohol, it has to come in from somewhere- either by land or by sea. Then proceed- see if we can find Manuel, but also head up to Miskatonic- Luke has an idea on how to make a little business, legitimately as well as illegitimately. Bruno does customer relations, so he would take point in negotiations.

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:22 am
by kabukiman
You are with the prostitutes, in a small and dirty bar.
-Well, my name is Mary, and she's Carol. It's good to be with a man, without... being in business. But you want to know about your friend. He appeared yesterday; he was very happy with money, since he had done some business, and wanted the prettiest girl, so he paid for Glen- you notice she is somehow hurt- and then they went for a room.
Then, Carol continues:
-The weird happened sometime after that. Three guys appeared asking for him. I was afraid at the beginning that they wanted me or one of the girls. They had some skin disease, and they had such heads... If i catched something like that, i was finished. But they only wanted your friend. I didn't say a word, because they had a creepy look, and i doubted that they were his friends. To cut short, someone else must have talked, because they disappeared some time latter, very excited.

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:23 pm
by welsh
Olsen listens carefully to this. It sounds as if Miguel sold the knife and got paid for it. Then, somehow, someone found out about it and pulled Miguel. Olsen tries to remember the knife and what it looked like, recollecting what he knows of Miguel's history and any ideas of what that history may suggest.

"Mary, can you tell me where they went?"

(http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1635410/) He may remember something but he's not sure of any implications of those ideas.

"Three men with creepy looks? Have you seen them before? Are they local? Did they say what they wanted Miguel for?" He takes his time with the two girls, figuring he's paid the money and needs to get what information he can from them.

"Sounds like more than a robbery. Do they look like any local gang you've seen before?"

"YOu mentioned a girl, Glen. I don't know her. She was hurt? What did they do? Is she still in a hospital? You think its possible I can see her."

One thing for sure, this will put a damper on further business. Perhaps its an old vendetta between Miguel and some local fisherman, who finally caught up to him. The New England coast has many Portuguese fishing communities, a rather insular lot who fish for cod off the Grand Banks. But Olsen suspect that this might have to do with that knife.

"Does Glen have a pimp? I would assume he doesn't take kindly to one of his girls being bruised. Its bad business."

Olsen thinks about it a bit- And if his girl got bruised than the pimp might have an interest in making sure that these three ugly fellows don't come back.

"Did you catch anything about what they were doing, or where they are going? I assume they took Miguel with them? DId he go freely or did they force him?"

Olsen thinks about the numbers and the principle of the thing. Don't leave your guys behind. If there is some personal beef with Miguel, that's one thing that will need being cleared up. If he stole that knife, well, then Miguel will have to make compensation. But Miguel is still one of his people, and he's not about to let his guy fall to grief by some local thugs.

Then again, maybe this might open an opportunity for a little material gain.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:51 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Sorry to only ansawr now, but it a busy weekend.

Manuel said he winn in a card game; the other guy (a sailor) didn't have money so, he offered the dagger. Manuel didn't liked the idea, but when he saw it, he changed his mind. It was exotic, carved with water motives. Anyway, he decided to sell it. Manuel wasn't the kind of guy who speaked much, but his english was awful...

-They only said they were friends of Manuel, they were americans, but they speaked like if they were eating something, it was dificult to understand them. Glen is ok, we saw her latter but she didn't talk much. He pimp is Andy, at this hour he must be already drinking... illegal stuffs if you understand me. Glen must be still sleeping, but i will write her adress, or i can take you there if you want.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:23 pm
by welsh
OC- no worries, no rush. I will wait for some of the other questions before making a move. Take your time.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:32 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Ok, we can go now.

Some time latter you hear a boy shouting:
-Extra! Extra! Everything about the wave of robberies!
You buy a newspaper and read:

"EXTRA!
CRIMINALS STRIKE ARKHAM
LOCAL ANTIQUARIAN'S SHOP VANDALIZED, DAGGER STOLEN
by Alyssa Valentine

Unknown persons broke into and did extensive damage to the shop of local antiquarian Percy Marmont, 44 at 389 W. Armitage Street, where Detective Harrigan and Officer O'Neill of the Arkham Police were at the scene investigating. While nothing is known to have been taken from the store, the vandals are most likely the same three men who were seen entering the home of Mr. Marmont at 495 W. Curwen Street this morning, claiming that he had sent them to retrieve something he had forgotten. One of Mr. Marmont's neighbors described the men as strange, with discolored skin, ugly faces, big eyes, and the odor of fish. A curious dagger that Mr. Marmont had purchased recently from a Portuguese sailor and brought to his home was discovered to be missing. If you have any information on these men or the dagger, please contact Detective Harrigan at the Arkham Police Station promptly."

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:44 pm
by welsh
kabukiman wrote:OOC: Ok, we can go now.

Some time latter you hear a boy shouting:
OC- wait a second? They didn't answer my other questions. I didn't think that conversation had ended.
-Extra! Extra! Everything about the wave of robberies!
You buy a newspaper and read:

"EXTRA!
CRIMINALS STRIKE ARKHAM
LOCAL ANTIQUARIAN'S SHOP VANDALIZED, DAGGER STOLEN
by Alyssa Valentine

Unknown persons broke into and did extensive damage to the shop of local antiquarian Percy Marmont, 44 at 389 W. Armitage Street, where Detective Harrigan and Officer O'Neill of the Arkham Police were at the scene investigating. While nothing is known to have been taken from the store, the vandals are most likely the same three men who were seen entering the home of Mr. Marmont at 495 W. Curwen Street this morning, claiming that he had sent them to retrieve something he had forgotten. One of Mr. Marmont's neighbors described the men as strange, with discolored skin, ugly faces, big eyes, and the odor of fish. A curious dagger that Mr. Marmont had purchased recently from a Portuguese sailor and brought to his home was discovered to be missing. If you have any information on these men or the dagger, please contact Detective Harrigan at the Arkham Police Station promptly."
Hmmm.... Olsen sees if he can get anymore answers, then will return to Wolf Larson, speak to his crew and then go see about Glenn and then Mr. Marmont, before heading to the police department. Most importantly, Olsen will want to know something from prostitute-
(1) are these guys members of a gang familiar to Arkham?
(2) Did they say where they came from or have they been seen before?
(3) Who to see if one wants to buy booze.
(4) Where is Mr. Marmont's shop and home? Where is the police station?

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:38 pm
by kabukiman
From the prostitute: The gang wasn't from Arkhan, and nobody know them. To know where to buy drinks, you will have to ask for one of the pimps. The shop is in the north section of the city, in armitage street.
What instructions do you give to your crew?

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:24 pm
by welsh
OC- Bummer, I was hoping for a bit more info. Is the boat docked on a pier or has it an anchorage on the river?

Olsen, thanks the girls and pays them before returning to his crew. There he tells them. "Looks like Miguel might be in a spot of trouble. Remember that dagger he wanted to sell? The won he won in a game? Well he apparently sold it and made a bit of cash, got himself a girl and a bottle. But then some gang plucked him up, probably wanting info. They also knocked over the shop where Miguel sold the knife. Bad business. They want the knife and maybe the story. Three ugly fuckers."

"I want to stop by the shop and ask a few questions. Bruno, you're with me."

"Karl and Felix, I want you to stay with the boat. Whoever picked on Miguel might have questions for us as well. Be nice to the cops. They are investigating. Tell them what you know about Miguel."

"If someone else comes by and asking questions, keep them off. But be careful. Keep the shotties handy. I also want you to keep an eye on local traffic. Someone is moving booze in and out of this town. It might be coming in from Kingsport or from Boston, but it might be floating in by boat."

"Bruno, lets go and check out that shop."

With that Olsen sets out to find the shop that Miguel sold the dagger too. Perhaps that might pick up on a lead.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:00 am
by kabukiman
Go to Percy Thread.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:49 pm
by kabukiman
Make one roll of spot hidden and fast talk for Karl and Felix (you choose who make the rolls).

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:16 am
by welsh
OC- Felix as a diver should get +20 to spot hidden- so that's 45%. I think his fast talk was 35%? He's on deck while Karl is below. But I think if Karl overheard what was going on above, he'd come up to check- especially given Luke's warning.

Felix rolls for spot hidden (45%) and fast talk (35%) (1d100=32, 1d100=71)

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:17 am
by kabukiman
They notice some suspicious transports of material. Maybe illegal drinks? But nobody around seem to know anything (or trust them to tell).

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:28 pm
by welsh
Felix takes note of which boats seem to be moving the cargo and which warehouses seem to be active. But he remains on the boat. Better to stay close to Karl. If there is trouble, or if the police show up, he can whistle Karl for help.

That said, are the Arkham docks active? I assume these are fast launches moving cargo. Anything noticeable. If they are moving in the daytime, then they are being quite daring or they are not afraid of the police.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:46 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: It's quite a sleeping port (compaired with New York or even Kingsport), but it still have some movement. And no police.

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:17 pm
by welsh
Felix notes the docks and warehouses that seem to be most active. If they are bringing booze from the sea, it will be to those ports and warehouses. He also keeps an eye on who ever is moving along the shore and who might be watching him.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:52 pm
by welsh
Luke, meanwhile, reenters the hotel and approaches the manager. "You mentioned a bar? Where was it? Ya know who owns it?" He puts a few dollars on the table, "Its a business matter and it might be in our mutual interest."

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:09 pm
by kabukiman
-It belongs to to an irish guy. They ahh... buy the drinks from another family. A big family if you know what i mean... 1 block south, you can't miss it.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:08 am
by welsh
Olsen smiles and leaves a tip. "Thanks."

He leaves the hotel and waits outside, out front.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:54 pm
by kabukiman
A young fellow 16/18 (short with red hair and frackles) is looking to Olsen and then asks:
-Are you looking for something?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:09 pm
by welsh
Olsen looks at the kid. Appraises the fellow quickly but gets no real read on the kid. Maybe he's a male whore looking to make a quick buck from a sailor. What? Two bits for a blowjob? Whatever. Not his business.

Olsen's attention returns to his paper. "Why do you ask?"

OCC- Not to be crude, but this is a bad neighborhood and its not uncommon for a male drug addict to sell his body for money to support his habit, even back in the 1920s.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:02 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: I know, in ports it's normal to have prostitutes of both sex.

Roll spot hidden.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:15 pm
by welsh
OC SPot hidden = 78

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:42 pm
by kabukiman
-Well, if you want to buy something, or else, came talk to me. Are you alone?

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 pm
by welsh
Olsen, folds the newspaper and drops it to one side. "What is it you want to sell me?"

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:37 pm
by kabukiman
You see suddenly 2 youngsters who are just a couple of meters behind him.
-Well, your wallet would be a good start- and he shows a knife.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:22 pm
by welsh
OC- Is there anything interesting about the knife- Miguel's dagger?

IC- Luke's hands go to the 1911 Colt 45 he has kept on his person, and drops the safety as he brings it to hip level. Its point blank range and hard to miss. "I suggest you and your friends go elsewhere if you're looking for someone to rob. Or I can kill ya if you think my wallet is worth your life. If you work for someone more important that has liquor interests, than talk. Otherwise, blow. Oh, and drop the blade."

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:34 am
by kabukiman
OOC: No it's a normal knife.

The trio get's in panic and leave the chief behind. The red hair is very afraid and says:
-Wait! If you are interested in liquor i can take you to my father; he is Michael O'Bannon- he says like if you should know him.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:45 pm
by welsh
Luke considers this. "Kid, first drop your knife. If I were going to shoot ya, I would have put a hole in ya. But the longer you hold that knife, the more my finger itches. Put it away and I'll put away my piece. Deal?"

Luke waits till the knife is dropped. "So your Dad is in the liquor business? That's fine. Perhaps we can do business. Where can I find you Pop?"

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:59 am
by kabukiman
The boy dropped the knife.
-He imports liquor and then keep it in diferent places and then sell it to several restaurants in this part of the city. But he owns one of the places, that he uses as...
You heard a group aproaching

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:30 pm
by welsh
"Yeah, so he has a warehouse or what?" Says Luke. He glances at the direction of the group. Hopefully the kid gets the idea that he should change the subject. "My vessel just came in from up North. We do some cargo hauling, but mostly its salvage and fishing. For example, if a ship goes under, my crew brings up the cargo. We work from Canada to New York." He continues, "But we're always looking for work. So what is your dad's principle place of business?"

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:00 am
by kabukiman
The group is a band of sailors, probably dutch, who are talking very loud, and must have arrive. They past by you without saying a word.
-He uses several routes: boats and trucks. It's usually a safe business, so if you want to be someone and make money, my father is the the right person. Of course, I cannot tell you all family secrets- he says with a solene voice- you will have to talk to him first.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:51 pm
by welsh
Olsen nods, replaces his pistol in a concealed location.

"Alright... fine enough, but where do I find him? Give me a location, kid. I've got other business to attend to and don't have the time to follow you down some blind alley. But I will find your dad soon enough and we'll make a few bucks, provided you give me a location. So where's his usual hang out or how can I find him?"

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:36 am
by kabukiman
-The old sailor. It belongs to a family friend and my father uses a backroom to make his business, it's at the end of the street, you can't miss it.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:38 pm
by welsh
Luke nods, "Alright, that will do, kid. I'll swing by once by business is through. Speaking of which, these three ugly fellows seem to have robbed a local shop for a dagger. I hear from some of the hookers that they took a Portuguese sailor who is connected. It's in the local news, so you've probably read about it. Know anything about these crimes that the cops and the paper don't? From the read of it, well... its fishy. What do you know? A rival gang coming to town?"

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:37 am
by kabukiman
-No, it wasn'ts us, and i doubt it was the italians too. You see, people here have orders to steal and cheat sailors- no offense- but not kill them. It would be bad for business. The police would be force to act, and that would be very bad.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:19 pm
by welsh
"So you think they killed the Portuguese, eh? What makes you think that?" Ask Olson. "And it is weren't the Irish nor the Italians, then maybe some local gang moving in? From the description in the papers, who do you boys think did it? These boys have grabbed one of mine without good reason. Its bad business. But as I see it, a rival gang that is willing to rough up of kill local sailors is bad business for your Dad too. Perhaps we have a mutual interest here."

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:38 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: The papers haven't yet make mention of Miguel kidnap; Allyssa was the first journalist to know, and didn't have time to write an article about it yet. She only wrote about the burglars on the shop. All the boy may know is that a sailor have disappear, but he doesn't need to know all the details.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 pm
by welsh
OC- Ok, but he might have heard that they have nabbed a Portuguese sailor, especially if the local prostitutes also work for his father. News might have traveled- one prostitute tells another, someone is looking for someone...and its a fairly
small world. Mostly, I'm asking if they know a rival gang is operating in town. If the local gangs are organized, than these new guys could be a new threat. But as gangs are usually clandestine operations that utilize methods and info outside the law, they might know something that others don't. Its also likely that the local crooks know more about local crimes than the press or the police.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:26 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Yes, but remember this is only the son of the real chief, and he doesn't have to tell you everything.
You heard a big noise and see the boys who were with your "new friend" and 4 older man. All armed. They stop when they see you, and one of them says to one of the boys:
-I thought you told that the man had kill my son!

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:33 pm
by welsh
OC- Is the man the fellow he's referring to me? ME? I didn't do anything!!!
How are these people armed and who are they pissed off with?

IC- Olsen keeps his cool and brings his hands close to where he keeps his .45. Seven bullets against this mob? It could get messy. Olson considers the door to the hotel, which is still close. No one coming out of there in awhile. He calculates how quickly he could get inside after firing off a clip, reload and fire some more. If he fires first, he might surprise them, but that won't last. Chances are they be on him before he gets 4 bullets off. Maybe this is where diplomacy fits.

"What's the deal, Mac? The kid and I were just having a polite conversation about this town and virtues of importing some of Canada's best over the border. He showed me his edge, I showed him my metal. We got that straightened out and figured out who was who. All that without a drop of blood or sweat. I don't see a problem here but maybe a bit of business, so what gives?"

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:58 pm
by kabukiman
-IT'S MY SON YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!- He says.
-Relax father, we are doing business. You see, this Mr. have a boat and he is interested in importing orange juice. And thanks for running so quickly to bring help-he says ironicaly to his ex-companion.
-Sorry...
-You see, we though that it was best to...
-SILENCE! I will deal with you latter!-says "Daddy"- Now go away!
He then turns to the older ones and make a sign with the head and they leave too... but stay still in the street. Nobody else is in the street.
-So you are interested in making business, eh? Your name is?

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 pm
by welsh
Luke looks at the man. "My name is Luke. I and my partners own a boat and I travel the coast from New Foundland to New York. Most of the regular work is fishing and salvage. If you need something pulled from the bottom, I'm your man. But on occasion we haul cargo from port to port. My boat isn't big, but its ocean going and safe. We can haul cargo. We're not interested in distribution or retail or local complications. If you are a buyer for what we haul, that's fine. We can perhaps even make an exclusive arrangement. That said, if we do business I'd be looking for some sign of good faith. I'd need to be able to trust the people I do business with, as I am sure you'd ask the same. And you are?"

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:49 am
by kabukiman
-Michael O'Bannon is the name. I import orange juice. You said you had other associates? They won't mind using the boat to... import juice? And do't mind with the autorities. As long as we don't make any fuss, they leave us alone.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 pm
by welsh
"Orange juice it is then. We can probably arrange the purchase from our wholesalers up North and ship down. As for the authorities, they won't be a bother. Besides, we usually move through international waters. I can bring product from South as well. Other associates? My crew. They're with me and dependable. That said, one of mine has recently gone missing. Seems like a rival gang, the same gang that robbed that antique store for a dagger, snatched one of mine while he was making business with a local working girl. Maybe you know about them. Ugly fish-faced, fish-smelling fucks? I'd like my guy back. Might be worth a couple of cases of OJ. Know anything about this? From the way it sounds, it seems a rival gang is working over local business. You're boy tells me it weren't your associates or the Italians, maybe out-of-towners making trouble?"

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 am
by kabukiman
- About the businees, just appear in my place latter, the street ain't a place to make business. About you man, I gonna see what my man know. Just appear in 2 hours, ok?

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:51 pm
by welsh
"Two hours is good. See ya then." Says Olsen, who nods his farewell and returns his attention to the newspaper.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:50 am
by kabukiman
After your talk with O'Bannon, several prostitutes come to ask if you whant to join them to some fun.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm
by welsh
Olsen smiles at the girls. "Tempting ladies, but I am actually trying to find a friend of mine. Seems like one of my crew, a fellow named Miguel, got picked up by these ugly looking fellows. Same ones who knocked over that store, ya know, the story is in the papers. Seems like my guy having a good time with a girl named Glen or Glenda. Supposedly they were staying in this hotel or something. Anyway, they took my guy and knocked up the girl a bit. Not very nice of them.

"Do ya know anything about this? I understand time and information is money and I'm willing to pay, and maybe we can make sure these types don't rough one of you girls again, if you know what I mean. Ain't very gentleman like? So if you know something and want to pass it on, it might save a guys life and might save another girl from being knocked about. "

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:33 am
by kabukiman
-Yes, I heard the story. They were a bit rough with her. If you want to talk to Glen, go to the hotel "runaway horses", at the end of this street, she is usually there.

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 pm
by welsh
Luke nods, "I appreciate the tip. Maybe I'll do that. Incidently, you haven't seen them around town, have ya?"

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:38 am
by kabukiman
-No, they must have move to some other part of the town, or simply leaved. But there is a guy who may know it. He is quite nosy, always smeling others affair. Probably an informer of the cops.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:56 pm
by welsh
"A police informer?" Olsen offers the prostitutes a few dollars, "Ok, so does this rat have a name, and where can he be found?"

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm
by kabukiman
-Paulie. A short, thin guy, with big glasses. He lives there- she points to the Benjamin Hotel.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:54 pm
by welsh
"Thanks girl, I appreciate the tip. Out of curiousity, either of you seen anyone that fit the description of these bad boys? Sound like out-of-towners with a bad skin condition. Maybe some kind of leper colony around here or some local village where there's some weird family trait?"

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 am
by kabukiman
-Thanks- and she put the money in her corselet- I only saw them once. They had a really bad look. I don't know very well the places around, I came from New York.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:11 am
by welsh
Olsen is caught by that last bit. "YOu saw them once? This is when they knocked up Glenda or somewhere else?"

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:06 pm
by kabukiman
-No, it was before that, I only discovered what they done latter. I was lucky the sailor didn't choose me, God knows what does guys would have done.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:44 pm
by welsh
"Consider yourself lucky. Some bad types, they is. You say you saw them before that? Where did you see these fellas? About when?"

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:42 pm
by kabukiman
-Just the day before. They were doing questions about knife. But I didn't looked them carefully, I didn't wanted to be picked by them.

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:46 pm
by welsh
OC- A bit of clarity here- They were asking about the knife two days ago, so Manuel must have sold the knife back then, or had we not yet arrived?

IC- Olsen thinks about that a moment to get his bearings. "Do you recall what they were asking about? Did they have the knife then or where they looking to buy it?"

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Manuel had sell the dagger yesterday, but the strangers where asking for it 2 days ago. Manuel never told to anyone in the town he had the dagger when he was still in it's possession (why should he?) so nobody knew he had it, until he sold it, and then he came to buy wine and prostitutes and told where he had get the money, and someone told to the 3 strangers.
-No, they only told it was a knife with some carvings with sea motivs, and anyone who would see it would recognize her. I don't know how, after all, a knife is a knife and I can you recognize a thing you never saw before?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:51 pm
by welsh
OC- ok a second issue. SInce I think our guys are only recently arrived in Arkham, than its possible that someone knew we were coming to this port and leaked the information. Did any of the crew of this before we landed and could they have communicated this information to anyone? We only landed yesterday, yes?

IC- Olsen considers this and begins to try to figure out if his crew perhaps leaked information that they were coming to Arkham. Perhaps someone knew the dagger was on-board and planning to intercept the vessel? That they were watching the vessel and crew even before they arrived in Arkham?

"Ladies, do you recall anything else. Where they planning to rob the shop when you overhead what they were saying? Do you know how badly they roughed up Miguel?"

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:25 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: The crew knew they were going to Arkham, it wasn't a secret, so they didn't feeled compeled to be quite about the subject, but they didn't have any particular reason to tell everybody either. Just imagine a normal conversation who is listen by the wrong ears ;) But how the 3 men knew about Manuel and his dagger, is a different issue...
-I don't know nothing of that. They only stopped to make questions and they immediatly leaved when none where answered. And I don't know what happened to your friend. But I know, that they leaved the hotel with a huge bag.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:42 pm
by welsh
"Thanks for the info," Says Olson, wondering if there is something else he can ask.

(idea roll for any ideas, I am fresh out).

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:12 pm
by kabukiman
Olsen didn't remember anything else.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:43 pm
by welsh
Not sure what else he can ask, or should ask, Luke returns to his newspaper with the sensation that he's missing something.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:22 am
by welsh
After exchanging information with Bruno, Luke leaves the front of the hotel and goes to fetch Felix from the back. When he finds the young man, he sends him on his way back to the boat with instructions that they are to prepare to get underway but to stay sharp. Then Luke enters the hotel.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:07 am
by kabukiman
About 30 minutes have passed since his talk with the irish gang.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:30 pm
by welsh
Luke looks at his watch, and thinking about the timing. He should be able to get to the boat, fetch a bottle of Canadian Whiskey and return to the Irish mob's place of business. He's not sure how helpful the mobster will be, but can't hurt to check. Perhaps they might know something about Innsmouth, or at least a place to lie low nearby.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:46 pm
by welsh
Bruno and Luke leave the hotel and proceed to the gangster's place of business, consulting each other about what they've found and sharing their suspicions. Both agree that the drunk is no longer useful and therefore, no more need of forceful methods. Getting to Innsmouth might be a problem as neither has a car. However, it might be worthwhile to purchase or rent a truck for the trip. If they are a big group it might be worth taking two cars. They also discuss moving the Wolf Larsen to a suitable anchorage and realize that they will have to consult maps and charts.

OC- I assume the crew either has or knows where they can get charts of the local waters.

Karl, could be a moored a few miles off shore, but how to signal him. A flare might work, but then it would give away their purpose and might even suggest to the enemy and escape by sea. It would also be better to keep the vessel hidden and out of sight- that would mean far off shore or hidden along the shoreline. They discuss whether Karl should go alone or take one of the other crew, and if so, who? Felix might be a good choice for Karl, but it might be better to place Felix close by, especially if they need to shoot their way out. It might be better to have a rifleman hidden nearby who can keep an eye on them. Neither man is happy that they cannot scout the are first and neither likes the idea of separating the group in what promises to be a hostile area. Furthermore, they agree that it would be better to come by ruse. A map of the area would be very useful.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: So the rest of the crew is trying to get info about the navigation in Innsmouth? No roll needed, but it will take some time and extra money to get that.

The pair arrive at the Old sailor. Everybody stops the conversation and stares to you; about 6 men are inside, smoking and drinking. They don't seemed concerned about the law. Until you see a police in uniform drinking in a table with 2 other men.

OOC2: Sorry about any mistakes, but my spellchecker suffered a collapse, so I have to use my own knowledge of English!

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:07 pm
by welsh
OC- That's fine about getting the charts and navigational aids. I figure they would have those charts if they are working local waters as fishermen or salvagers anyway. Part of the trade.
Wasn't Bruno and Luke supposed to bring a bottle of whiskey with them. I assume they did so from the vessel's stock.

Do Bruno and Olsen recognized the cop ? http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1839816/

I believe the mobster's name was O'Bannon ya?

IC-
Bruno and Luke move to the bar, ignoring the men's stares and approach the tender at the bar.

"We're here to see O'Bannon about a shipment of orange juice. Name is Olsen, we're expected."

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am
by kabukiman
The bartender tells something to a little boy who enters in a door. The bar is still quite, everybody looking at you. After one minute, a member of the gang you saw before opens the door and says:
- You may here.
Everybody seems to relax and resumes the conversation.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:25 pm
by welsh
Olsen nods and enters the room, with Bruno besides him.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:44 am
by kabukiman
O'Banon offers you Olsen a chair (and only Olsen).
-So you have a boat and want's to import some juice, hem? Well, the deal is easy: you make a trip with a small cargo as a test. You receive 10% of the share for this time. If anything happens I don't know you, you don't know me. If everything turns ok, you will receive the payment I usually make- 50%. My business is only juice, I don't deal with powder or meat. You may bring other things, but you can't sell anything in this part of the town without my authorization. Agreed?

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:04 pm
by welsh
Luke nods and takes a seat. Bruno remains standing politely a few steps back and manages to look at everyone and no one at the same time. "Fine. I'm not interested in moving into any retail. I deal strictly in movement and, when necessary, recovery. But we need to work out the delivery. How much cargo of juice are we talking about? Do you have a wholesaler you want me to work with or can I take my own business? And finally what kind of money are we talking about on delivery? You want me to move your cargo, ten percent works fine... this time. You want me to purchase from a distributor up north and then take a loss, well that's a different story. I don't mind carrying the risk, that' what I get paid for and why I pack my own heat. Other cargo, we'll talk about at a later date, that's fine."

Luke pauses, to let O'Banon consider. "But there are a few other things that I'd like to clear."

"I understand you want to test my good faith. That's fine." Luke keeps his voice calm and reasonable, "But good faith has to go both ways. Like you, I don't need my name being tossed around, and especially not sold to the cops. My crew is my responsibility, so when they come assure, I assume they are under your protection, if we got business together I don't need none of yours tussling with mine. I'll keep my boys in line if you do likewise, otherwise its bad business for subordinates to make business complicated for their superiors. I assume you agree? I say this only because I want us to start what could be a beautiful friendship, but all good relationships are built on trust."

Luke's voice changes a bit to show his disgust. "Which raises another thing. As I mentioned before, one of my guys got tagged by some local thugs. I've been tracking them down and figured they'd be with some other group working out of some out-of-the-way shit hole of a harbor called Innsmouth, where the locals are all caught up in some whacko religious bullshit. I figure its a big con by some local swindler or drifter to take advantage of the locals, get them to give their money to charity and then move off. But they seem to have muscle enough to move on one of my guys for some ceremonial dagger they want. A swindler willing to bring down a town with muscle makes me think these guys are a mob without any fucking sense of ethics or decency. You run a respectable operation here and there ain't no problem with a fella getting a bit of spirit, but the Irish I know go to Catholic Church, and don't mess around with no fucking pagan bullshit."

Luke pauses, takes a drink, before continuing.

"Now these motherfuckers in Innsmouth, they mess with one of mine without cause. They got the knife without needing to rough him up. That was merely, excessive. Now they got him in that fucking town and God knows what kind of fucked up shit they are going to do."

Luke gestures back to Bruno. "My guys operate simple, we watch each other's back. It's a matter of trust, you understand. So these motherfuckers have got to go. We need to get our boy back and things might very bloody. I tell you this because, like I said, I want our relationship to be built on trust and I think we understand each other that no one, I mean no one, fucks with our crew with impunity. The local cops aren't interested in the matter, which is all to the good, but that puts the responsibility on my plate. Fine. If I need to take that town apart, stick by stick, and burn it to the ground, well... such is the nature of the business we are in."

Luke smiles even as he offers a sly shake of his head, like a man who must do something he would prefer not. But then he looks at O'Bannon with deadly earnest and confidence.

"We have a mutual interest in this town. I figure that this gang is run by some prick who don't mind sending his muscle into your town. Had we not had this conversation, I would be suspicious that my boy would have been taken by some local crew. They don't seem to respect you, or fear you - and in this business that's dangerous. So I figure you have reason to be concerned. I take it that this same crew in Innsmouth might be looking to set up shop here, playing the same scam on a bigger scale. If that's the case, your interests and their interests will sooner or later, come to conflict."

"So my point? I'd like a little cooperation from you on this. I'd like to hear about what you know about this Innsmouth town and the local gang. If you got some interest there to protect, tell me now, least I hurt the wrong people while I look for my boy. I could also use some wheels, ideally a truck and a car, and would look kindly if I could borrow one for your crew. Ideally, something that wouldn't call much attention. Anything else you can offer to help, would be appreciated. But mostly I want to know about Innsmouth if you got local info. There's two families there, named Marsh and Gilman, who seem to be behind this caper and seem to be calling the shots."

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Don't see the commenteries above as racism, I'm only puting what was the mentality of the time.

When you prounonced "Innsmouth" one of the man says something incompreensible:
-A Dhia dhílis!
Another make the the sign of the cross. Only o'Bannon stays calm.
-Well, you have spoken, now it is my turn. I have my contacts in Canada, so no need to look for someone to buy, it would be too risky. About the justice here. Well, the mayor, the judge, the chief of the police, they are all honest folk. They think live in a world in their imagination- Arkham in a nice city, with few crimes, no corruption problems, no gangs. We and the italians help to live their dream. So no need to bribe them, I actually think it wouldn't work; unstead, we have bribe all the small cops and detectives; it's cheaper and it's actually them who are in the street. Of course if anyone trully crosses the line, they appear and do their job. Usually it only hapens when a new gang wants to make a show, but after a few deads, all we have to do is disapear and let the other guys be busted. So you man can actually get into a brawl and something of that in this part of the city, but avoid the fancy town; and avoid also the south of the city, it belongs to the italians.
We are talking about 1000$ for cargo. The problem is that sometimes some greedy police appear, and you will have to give them something to forget they saw you. Not everyone plays by the rules- he says with a note of sadness- and you can't make more than a couple of trips by monts; the other gangs would be too nervous and think that we were winning a fortune here, and get ideas of moving to our turf.
About you man: I made some inquires, and those guys weren't from here, and nobody seemed to know from where. Now you tell me they are from Innsmouth: that's bad news. Fucking bad news. Have you seen one of them? No? Well, let me tell you. When i see a negro or a chinamen, I see a man. They aren't worth a white, but they are men. Those guys from Innsmouth they don't seem true people... You know that crazy stuff they want to teach in schools that our ancestors were apes? Well, in that case I would say that the ancestors of Innsmouth folk are fishes. Don't laugh. Must be inbreeding, marrying all cousins between them . They have big eyes and smell as fish. And they have that weird cult that is not an ordinary scam to get money. Some crazy stories about them: seems they have lot's of fish in that zone. Well, some fisherman tried to ger fish there, but they were always bad weather and no fish, but the supply of fish to other towns continued by the Innsmouth folk like if they were fishing normally. They also seemed to get gold from some mine.
The Marsh and Gilman are the families who run the place. Never met one of them. Once a months they receive a cargo of juice from independents; they don't want to make deals with important families like us or the italians; to be sincere, superstitious as the italians are,I doubt that they would even accept.Your man is probably as good as dead. And I won't risk one of mines, I'm responsable for my people too. But I can borrow you a truck and some guns if you really want.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm
by welsh
Luke nods. "That sounds like a square deal to me. A little scratch a bit of grease and we don't got a problem."

"About that Innsmouth crowd, they seem like a fucking a bunch of inbreds. But they are making trouble for my boys, they might feel like making trouble with us. I appreciate the offer about the guns. Guns we got and I appreciate the deal with the truck. If you know someone in those parts that you trust to do business with, I'd appreciate the tip, because it might be worth having a place to lay low if we got to go in heavy. "

Luke smiles, "I have an idea but I don't want you to get the wrong impression, cause, like I said, trust is important. What if I go in with an offer to replace their supply, maybe at a price that is better than competitive. Make it worth their while. Maybe we find out the independents, maybe not. I can get my boy out, I'm done their. Then, I quietly turn the business over to you and they don't need to be the wiser. I get my guy and you can remove the independents and acquire a little more business? If you don't want the business, that's fine too. Like I said, I'm not interested in retail."

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 am
by kabukiman
-Seems a nice idea. But never mention my name as long as you stay there. If there is a problem, I don't want to have a fucking group of degenerates asking for me.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:42 am
by kabukiman
You finally agreed with the details: when you need to get a shipment, the name of the contact, etc. It will be in 3 days, so there is lot's of time. to save Manuel. Olsen and his crew goes to the meeting with Alyssa.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:37 pm
by kabukiman
Your crew goes to little Chinatown. You arrive at Chu place, a small shop that apparently only sells inoffensive products, but you know better; the people near the shop ignores you.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:27 am
by Pickman37
Bruno Kirby takes in the sight and sounds of the area but, knows from experience in various ports and his work as a mercenary in the war, that the crew stands out. However, he knows they will be left alone and that the people staring here hold no water against the stares he felt in Innsmouth, which made his skin crawl....

They enter the shop and Kirby immediately seeks out the proprietor...

Explosives would be the best but fireworks will do... He strategizes. Anything that gets those 'fish-freaks' moving!

He moves to speak to the one most likely to be the owner...

"您好你会说英语 ?" ("Hello, Do you speak English?")

Kirby uses the only Chinese he knows and hopes for the best....

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 am
by kabukiman
- A small bald chinese appears and answers in a broken english:_
-What can I help honorouble customer?

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:26 am
by Pickman37
"Good afternoon, kind sir! My friends and I have heard that you are able to procure 'certain' items."

Bruno observes who is present in the store, and who may be paying too much attention, and adjusts the volume of his voice to suit the circumstances before continuing...

"My crew and I are planning a celebration once we leave port and we are looking to acquire some 'fireworks' or something even more potent, if you get my drift. Price is no object. If you could set us up with these items, it would be greatly appreciated. And, again, price is no object. We are not here to haggle and will promptly be on our way after you help us."

Kirby maintains eye contact with the old man and awaits a response....

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 am
by kabukiman
He pauses for a moment. Then asks in a low voice.
-What are you thinking about exactly? I have TNT, dynamite. And tratidional fireworks of course. And when?

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:37 am
by Pickman37
Bruno matches the volume of the old man's voice...

"We have an interest in the TNT or dynamite but unfortunately, we are leaving port in a few hours. Roughly an hour before it gets dark. So, if you are unable to provide the goods before then, we will have to settle on fireworks....unless they would take some time to acquire. How much time would you need, kind sir?"

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 am
by kabukiman
-Before dark? That's very short. But I can see what I can do. Come here 2 hours before dark. And for now, you may take some fireworks.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 am
by Pickman37
"Thank you and we appreciate anything you can do for us. For now, we will take the fireworks and return in a few hours to see if you have had any success. Again, we are very grateful, kind sir"

Bruno and the crew pay for the fireworks then return to the boat with their supplies. At the boat, they perform the necessary checks and maintenance to ensure the ship is ready for the return trip. They also make sure that they have the rope to access the back window of the warehouse, as well as anything else they may see as necessary for this mission.

Additionally, Bruno, Felix and Luke brainstorm about the surveillance mission in Innsmouth and try to recall a deserted building about a block away that could be used to plant the fireworks or explosives for the distraction to hopefully draw the guards away or any other prying eyes.
Kabukiman,I'm not sure if the crew has limited finances but I was playing Bruno similar to how Welsh played Luke earlier in the game where money did not seem to matter much. Hopefully, we have enough cash to finance this. Also, I'm not sure if we should make an idea roll about finding an alternate building to use. During the surveillance, we only checked the building next door to the customs house so I'm not sure how observant we were to spot another abandoned building farther away. I would hate to blow up someone(or thing)'s home lol! If worse comes to worse, we can set them off in a nearby alley.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:17 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Actually explosives were quite cheap at that time, so it's no problem. You can make an idea roll to see if there was a better building.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:14 am
by Pickman37
Bruno attempts to recall another building nearby that can be used for the distraction but, despite his military and mercenary training, cannot recall one....

Being distracted by the mission at the Custom house and the wierdos of Innsmouth may have thrown me off...or maybe I'm getting too old for this. Bruno contemplates... Maybe Alyssa will remember spotting one. If not, we'll have to work on the fly....

After quizzing up Luke and Felix for any other ideas, the crew returns to Chu place at the appropriate time to see if they can acquire the explosives....

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:14 pm
by kabukiman
There are 2 costumers. As soon as he see you, he says something in chinese and expel them and close the door.
He takes away several small statues and spices from a corner and push and crate. He open and show you 2 hand grenades and 10 pieces of dynamite.
-With the time you give, it was all I could get- he says in apology.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm
by Pickman37
Bruno Kirby raises his hand to stop the old man from aplogizing...

"No...no...kind sir! You have done well and we are greatly appreciative! As promised, we will pay what you like...."

Bruno looks over the stash...

"No, this will do nicely...." He half mutters to himself but loud enough for the others to hear.

Bruno and the crew pay the old man what he requests, as well as a gratuity, then carry the goods back to the ship to await Alyssa's return.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 pm
by kabukiman
Go to the group thread.