Alyssa

Moderator: kabukiman

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Alyssa

Post by kabukiman »

You don't find anything interesting in your own journal. But you discover something very interesting in the Miskatonic library: a collection of the "Innsmouth Courier Newspaper", whose editor was a certain John Lawrence; the journal existed from 1833 to 1846. Without time to read everything, you concentrate yourself in the last year of the newspaper.
The journal tell a terrible story, so terrible that you would have dificulty to believe it if you hadn't heard already. Here is an example:

The author refers that Obed Marsh and his church promiss good fishing to his followers. But they commit blasfemous rituals with human sacrifices and baby kidnaping that leave you shocked.
After recovering, you get to know that somehow in 12 of August, the police and a group attacked Obed Marsh and his followers (32) near the reef of the devil and arrested them on the acusation of several murders and kidnapping. In the two following weeks, preparations were made for the trial, and other arrests were made. The church of Dagon was closed and everything seemed to get normal. The journal finishes day 24, with a hopeful note, that all proves gathered, the result would be the erradication of the cult. No other edition is available.
There are several familiar names: the Marsh, the Gilliams.

Roll 2d8 for Innsmouth lore.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alyssa is deeply unsettled by what she has read, and while she learns much, the disturbing nature of the material keeps her from absorbing as much as she might have otherwise. She finds herself admiring John Lawrence, her counterpart from the previous century, and she knows that she's going to be following in his footsteps. But clearly he hadn't succeeded completely, as things had gotten much worse in Innsmouth since 1846, and the cult was now in control of the town. She looks for more information in the library about what ultimately happened to John Lawrence and Obed Marsh after the arrests in 1846 and what happened in Innsmouth in the last eighty years. She also continues her search for maps and charts of Innsmouth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

It's closing time. All you have is a couple of minutes. Do you want to look aditional information about Innsmouth or look for the maps and charts? (you must do one livrary roll).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

[OOC: My earlier 1 didn't help? I had already stated I was looking for maps and charts before I made it.]

Alyssa hurriedly looks around some more for maps and charts of Innsmouth, but doesn't have much luck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

You found some charts, but they are all very old. Seems nobody cares to make new maps about the zone.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Realizing that the charts she has found are better than nothing, and that she doesn't have much time left before the library closes, Alyssa takes pictures of all of them with her camera. Then she goes back to the Advertiser to develop the photographs and put a fresh roll of film in her camera.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

After some time you develop the photos. It's already night, and your boss is leaving the Advertiser.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good night," says Alyssa to her boss as she's on her way out. "The kidnapped sailor's captain and the rest of their crew are going to Innsmouth to try to find him. I'm going to go with them, and I believe Mr. Marmont and his friend the reverend will be coming along as well."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Kindnappers? What are you doing? That's too risky! Leave that kind of things for the police! Those people are dangerous! Look Alyssa, I know you are very smart, and your ambitious, you have probably plans to go to some big city, it's natural, but they are limits for what a person should do. It's your live in danger.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, boss," says Alyssa. "I really do appreciate your concern for me, and I'll really miss this place if I ever do get a job at a big city newspaper. But that's not the only reason I want to go. The police already said they cannot do anything. The Arkham police have no jurisdiction in Innsmouth, and the police in Innsmouth are thoroughly corrupt. This man's life is in danger too, and time is of the essence if we're going to save him. And it's not just his life, either. Innsmouth has been a pit of corruption for nearly a century, right in our backyard, and more people will be in danger until it's exposed and stopped. The only way to do that is to go there, uncover the truth, and print it for all to see. That's the reason I became a reporter in the first place. The moment the free press becomes too afraid to cover the news is the moment it ceases to be free. My father went to the trenches during the Great War to show those of us at home what it was like there, and I've inherited some of his courage. I have no illusions about the danger I'm facing, and I know these are ruthless men. I promise I will be careful, and Luke Olsen and his crew will be there to protect me. I won't go anywhere without them. I''ll be sure to stay in touch with you. If for any reason you don't hear from me by the day after tomorrow, you'll know something has gone wrong, and I know I can count on you to send help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

He doesn't seem very convinced, but says:
-Do as you think it is right. But be careful. And take this.
From the desk, he gives you a small gun.
-It's better than nothing. I will make some phone call to know things about Innsmouth
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alyssa reaches under her skirt and tucks the gun into her garter, strapping it to her thigh. She doesn't really know how to use it well, but she hopes that merely having it will be enough. "Thank you again," she says. "I will be careful, and I'll bring this back - along with a great story."

Alyssa shakes her boss's hand and heads for the boat to meet Luke and his crew. She wishes she were as confident as she sounds, but she knows that this is the riskiest thing she's ever done. She resolves to take every possible precaution so that the next headline doesn't read "Girl Reporter Vanishes in Innsmouth."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC. Sorry, you will have to wait until Welsh has finished is "interview" with the local mob.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

[OOC: That's okay with me. I'm very busy and I have a lot of work to do to prepare for Chapter 4 of Zombie Apocalypse anyway. Alyssa will take a taxi, and she'll make a stop at home to pack some things to bring along (changes of clothes, toiletries, extra cash, etc.).]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Ok then.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Go to Alyssa and Bruno thread.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

The journal seems busy (as usual) and you see the familiar faces. After all, you didn't leave the place much time ago.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alyssa leads Hanna inside the Arkham Advertiser, showing her around and identifying the people she knows to her. She heads for the editor's office to fill him in on what she's learned and what she plans to do next, and to see if there are any openings for Hanna.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

You enter in your boss office. He seems quite please to see you.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good day, sir," says Alyssa. "I'd like you to meet Hanna. She's from Innsmouth, and I've learned a lot of fascinating - and disturbing - things about the town from her. We brought her to Arkham at her request, as it's not safe for her to stay there. She is interested in temporary employment. I also found these in the archives of the Innsmouth Courier." She takes out the sack of papers that she had recovered from the newspaper office. "The paper was shut down in 1846 - violently, and the editor John Lawrence was murdered, along with others. Fortunately, he left a treasure trove of information behind. We also spoke to a few of the other locals who could be trusted and found out more about Innsmouth's history and its present. Not only that, but we've found out what happened to the missing sailor. He managed to escape from his captors, but he's holed up in a building in Innsmouth. They can't get at him yet, but it's only a matter of time. The people who run Innsmouth, primarily the Marsh family, plan to kill him tomorrow night in some horrible ceremony. We're going to go back there tonight and slip him out before they get their hands on him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Arkham”