IC: Chapter 6 - Trieste

"Investigators embark upon the legendary Orient Express to enjoy what they hope will be a romantic and luxurious journey over Europe. But the trip gradually turns into a nightmare, as evil lurks hiding somewhere..."

Moderator: G-Returner

G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

IC: Chapter 6 - Trieste

Post by G-Returner »

Trieste, Italy
9:24pm -Monday January 22nd, 1923

The journey was placid enough that you each gain +1 San.

As you step through the open door of the train and emerge into the vault of the station, the first thing you are aware of is the wind. It howls about the covered platform like an angry beast, piercing clothing and sucking the warmth from your shivering bodies. Loose dirt and twigs hurtle through the air. Occasionally, a particularly strong gust rattles loose portions of the roof, so that the whole structure echoes and vibrates.

Porters, secure in well-buttoned great-coats, assist with your luggage and eventually the shelter of the waiting room is reached. Porters and passengers alike curse the wind, which they call the "bora", a common phenomena in this region.

It seems like you will have to wait for a taxicab: only motor-driven transport is out tonight. All the horse-drawn cabs have gone home, as even the most heartless cabby would not force an animal out into this weather. From your guide book, you know the best hotels are the Savoia Excelsior Palace and the Hotel de la Ville. Others include the Metropole, the Moncenisio and the Centrale.

You remember the clue that Professor Smith left you regarding Trieste: he told you to look up Johann Winckelmann at the museum. But which museum? Surely, there are different museums in this city, and you don't know which one he was referring to.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Re: IC: Chapter 6 - Venice

Post by kabukiman »

We will go to the hotel (so Howard may recover), and Luigi will ask there what museums exist.
Howerd Phillips
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Howerd Phillips »

Howard is somewhat critical of Felicity's technique, but does appreciate her help. She has gained his trust. In private, he will try to treat himself.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Now that the wounds have been (unsuccesfully) treated, it is not possible to treat them again.

You have not chosen a hotel.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The thread heading says Venice, but it should say Trieste. Also, the photo is not displaying for me, but I was able to copy the URL into my browser's address bar and get to it that way: [img]http://postimage.org/image/qjtna09n7/[/img] Strange, that's not displaying either. Why did I get to try twice but [b]Howard[/b] didn't even get to try once? I thought I was assisting him. Is he unable to treat his own injuries? His Medicine skill is 75%, which is a lot better than anything I have.

"Does anyone have a preference for a hotel?" asks Felicity. "I'd like to stay at either the Savoia Excelsior Palace or the Hotel de la Ville. Baedecker's says they're the best, and I don't want to settle for anything less."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC: Chapter 6 - Trieste

Post by G-Returner »

Spoiler:
Thanks for correcting me about the thread title. I'm not sure about the photo... It is showing here. Can anyone else see it? I make a difference between First Aid for emergency procedures, and Medicine in proper conditions (with a real bed and proper rest). Medicine can be attempted later.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,John is still awaiting official acceptance - Luigi needs to have that talk with Howard - or are we just presuming it took place and they're ok with John coming along?
John steps off the train and pulls his coat tighter about him to try to ward off some of that ungodly wind. He glances about for the hotel.
Howerd Phillips
Disciple
Disciple

"The best hotel works for me," Howard responds, holding onto Felicity's arm.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

After waiting in the cold for several minutes, you manage to hail a cab and instruct the driver to take you to the Savoia Excelsior Palace.

The ride from the rail station to the center of town is a short one.

Excelsior Palace
10:00pm -Monday January 22nd, 1923

Alighting at your hotel, the wind shrieks through the night, as violent as ever... Howard, Luigi and Felicity are bowled over by the wind and must hold on to whatever they can find to reach the hotel door unharmed. Only the physically stronger John can find it in him to remain on his two legs and help his companions.
Spoiler:
Failed opposed STR rolls for Howard, Luigi and Felicity vs the wind's STR. Success for John.

You check in, with the help of Luigi for the translations, and deposit your passport with the hotel staff as required. You are informed by the clerk that the kitchen is still open and you can have a light supper if you want, or retire directly to your rooms. (There is enough room in the hotel for four separate rooms if you wish, or you may wish to sleep in pairs; tell me what you prefer. Luigi is currently carrying the Simulacrum, since Howard is in a bad physical state.)

Outside, you can hear the wail of the bora.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Shouldn't it be later? The train didn't leave until evening, and the trip took a few hours.

"That was a fierce wind!" says Felicity, breathing a sigh of relief now that she's inside. "Does it often get like that here?" She looks around the luxurious lobby. "Yes, this will do nicely. Sorry to disappoint you gentlemen, but I'll be staying in a room by myself. I'm not quite as wild as the muckrakers make out. Shall we have a light meal before we turn in? We can discuss plans for tomorrow while we eat."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Luigi agrees with John offer, let's pretend it happened.

-Well, this is winter after all, we couldn't expect much better.
Howerd Phillips
Disciple
Disciple

Howard will look to share a room with Luigi, and agree to a light dinner with sufficient appetite. In his injured state, he foregoes a cigar and drinks after dinner.
Spoiler:
As I stated in the OOC forum, I forget the leads here in Trieste...
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Howard books a room with Luigi, while Felicity and John book separate rooms.

"The bora? Yes, at this time of the year it is always like this. But these days it is particularly violent." the clerk answers.

You are given a light but excellent supper in the hotel's luxurious dining room. There are several other guests at the other tables. It is a nice moment, but the wail of the wind outside gives the scene an eerie atmosphere.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"So, what are we looking for here, and how shall we go about finding it?" asks Felicity.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Howerd Phillips
Disciple
Disciple

To the waiter, "When you say these days, do you mean this season, or literally over the last few days? Are there any particularly good museums in the city?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-And also a good library. That would be nice to read some books about the history of the city.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

John rolls his eyes. Museums ... Library? All seems rather droll to him. But still, he promised to help these gentlemen out of their spot, and a museum might be a good place to pick a pocket or two.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

"This season in general. Remember to wear warm clothes!" the waiter replies. "If you'll forgive the informality, during days like these, I am glad that I work indoors."

He hands you a brochure about museums in the city. There are many, about all kinds of subjects. You have no idea which museum could be the right one. For a library, the waiter recommends the University.

You finish your meal and begin feeling very tired.
Howerd Phillips
Disciple
Disciple

"Perhaps the library can help us identify the right museum. In the meantime, I would like to retire." Howard struggles to get up, clutching his side.

In his room he will put his revolver at easy reach under his pillow. In his paranoia he will also set some glasses near the door to topple if opened while they sleep. He brushes his teeth thoughtfully.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that is a good idea," says Felicity. "We should go visit the library in the morning. Well, good night, chaps." If nobody has anything further to say, she retires to her own room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Horror On The Orient Express”