Page 1 of 1

OOC talk : Horror on the Orient Express

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 am
by G-Returner
OOC (Out of Character) talk

Ok everyone, we are ready to start!

IMPORTANT RULE for the IC (In Character) talk:

When you make OOC comments in the IC thread, try and remember to do so using spoiler tags. Like this:
Spoiler:
This is an OOC comment :)
You do it by typing: [spoiler*]your OOC message[/spoiler] (but without the *)

This way, only the IC talk will appear by default in the IC thread, making it a lot more pleasant to read.

Please check your character sheets and make sure everything is correct. Also, if you can find a suitable photo for your character (like Luigi), feel free to show me it so I can add it to your sheet.

The introductory IC thread will be posted tomorrow.

This thread, as the name implies, is the thread for all your OOC comments, chatter, rants, questions, etc.

Re: OOC talk : Horror on the Orient Express

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:48 am
by Mr.Green
Thanks G, looking good.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:49 pm
by trixie
Wow....another Orient Express game. Too bad you guys didn't join The Last Express....we needed players there as some very key ones disappeared.

Ah well....I suppose it'll be fun to read along as it's the same module but could be played very differently. Cheers!

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:11 am
by kabukiman
Hi Trixie! I think that nobody who will play this game, was here when the other was being played, so we have a good excuse ;)

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:15 am
by Mr.Green
Indeed, I offer my 11 (12 after this) posts to this site as proof. You're up to 2819 Trixie, so are there any campaigns you haven't finished on here :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am
by G-Returner
We have been joined by Normski, who will play George Smith, distant nephew of Prof.Julius Smith. His background is available on his character sheet.

He will be introduced to the story soon.

This brings the total number of invesigators to six, meaning our team is now full. Which is good for you since you'll need all the help you can get :D

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:50 am
by Tangerine
Dun dun dun! :D

I will enjoy reading this campaign :D

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:50 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Now that's a bio...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm
by G-Returner
In case everyone's being quiet because I hadn't replied to Howard saying he hoped it was ok: it is ok, and you get past the building's entrance door and enter the hallway without any incident. Sorry if that wasn't clear :)

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:36 am
by normski
What do I see in the room / hallway as this will affect my reactions?

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:12 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Just saw the Wiki, guess I don't need to take notes anymore!

Three cheers for the Keeper! Very well done so far. Outstanding.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:22 pm
by G-Returner
Thank you :D

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:22 am
by normski
I'd like to add my congrats for a good start.

By the way, how do you set a wiki up? (probably more for a PM than in here like!)

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 am
by G-Returner
You'd have to ask Raiko, he's letting me use his webhost and set the wiki up for me (thanks again to him). Once the wiki is set up then you just edit the pages and create new articles like you would on Wikipedia.

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:16 am
by G-Returner
We now have a "Previous threads" subforum for threads which are no longer in use.

I will move all the locked IC threads we are no longer posting on in this new subforum, but nothing is deleted, so you can still reread them if you need to.

This way you only see the active threads in the main forum.

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 am
by kabukiman
It will be complicated for me to post in the next couple of days, so Merry christmas for all of you!

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:58 am
by Howerd Phillips
Merry Christmas everyone. I'll be around a bit, if you want to finish up in Islington...

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:10 am
by normski
Aye Happy Christmas one and all!

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:56 pm
by Exarzun
Hey, sorry I thought I posted this already but it must not have gone through, Salik doesen't want to go on the break in but is it to late to have him go research in the library?

Sorry the post didn't go through...

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:50 pm
by G-Returner
Merry Christmas everybody :)

Exarzun: yes it's too late, the library closes around 5-6pm. You'll have to go on the next day.

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:23 am
by Exarzun
Ok, I can wait :)

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:30 am
by zielonobrody
got room for players? I always wanted to play Horror. I'll be regular if the game will be medium paced.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:21 am
by G-Returner
Sorry mate, the game is currently full.

I'll keep you on the waiting list in case somebody leaves.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:03 pm
by G-Returner
Exarzun/Salik has pulled out as the game is going too fast for him.

I'm going to message the people on the waiting list (in the order in which they expressed interest) to find a replacement, but meanwhile, let the game go on.

Happy 2009 to all :)

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 pm
by Tangerine
I've volunteered to play the ponderous Salik - hopefully I won't kill his personality too much as I'm not too sure where Exarzun was going with him.

I posted just then, and only saw that George had an IC topic at Scotland yard, so I presume the answer to Salik's question was yes :S

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:09 pm
by G-Returner
Here is the information digged up by Salik concerning the Orient Express. I'm posting it as Off Topic since a lot of it is background info, and also to avoid disrupting the storyline.

The famous train line, whose name has become a byword for luxury in travel, was created in the late 19th century by a Belgian engineer, Georges Nagelmackers. Back at a time when luxury was not a word that leapt to the tongues of European train travelers, Nagelmackers decided to construct a comfortable and luxurious train comprising a dining car, saloons, sleeping cars... a palatial hotel on wheels compared to what train journeys were like at the time.

The initial route passed through middle Europe: Strasbourg, Munich, Vienna and on to Bucharest. In 1889, the completion of a linking track allowed the Orient Express service across Europe into Turkey, the gate of the Orient, and to its capital, Constantinople. The service survived into the new century, braving even an outbreak of cholera in Turkey, when tickets had to be displayed for inspection in a white metal box filled with vinegar.

In its early days, passengers of the Orient Express were exclusively the fashionable elite: heiresses and decayed nobles, high-powered gangsters and millionaire philanthropists, sometimes even royalty. Second-class carriages were introduced in the early 1920s, allowing the middle-upper class to join in. Orient Express dining services are perceived as the equivalent of first class restaurants, with the same kind of impeccable formal service. The Orient Express staff is the finest in the world.

In order to board the Orient Express from London, the company tickets allow passengers to take first a regular train to Dover, then a boat to Calais in France. They can then board the Orient Express coaches taking them to Paris and then to the rest of the trip. In every city where a stop is made, there is an Orient Express service every day at the same hour (but the hour obviously depends on the location)*.

The service goes through France, Switzerland, Italy, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece and finally Turkey. It makes stops in all the most popular cities for travellers along the way. Information about the cities in which the train stops is readily available for travellers if you need to know something in particular.

There are many anecdotes to be found about the Orient Express, such as the time bandits once attacked the train in Bulgaria, or the time the train was stopped for several days in the Balkan mountains because of the snow. The Simplon tunnel, connecting Switzerland and Italy for the train passengers, is (in 1923) the longest tunnel in the world, at over 20 kilometers in length. 65 people died during its construction.

* In reality, there was a service about three times a week, although to avoid making the game needlessly more complicated, we are considering that in the game's universe there is a service every day.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:04 am
by Tangerine
You would not believe the amount of librarian fingers I had to snap to get that info! - Salik.

:P

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:00 pm
by G-Returner
Additionally, here is the map of the journey. As you can see, there are different routes. The "Simplon Orient Express" route (the unconnected + + + line) is the one Prof.Smith recommended as it stops in all the places he advised you to look up.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:58 pm
by G-Returner
Normski had to go on a business trip for a few days so I will be NPCing George until he gets back.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:44 am
by G-Returner
While Frank is packing his luggage, it's time for me to give you a "raise", as your characters have learnt from their experiences in London :)

The raises are as follow and have been added to your character sheets:

Salik :
Credit Rating +10
Library Use +3

Howard :
First Aid +2
Sneak +7
Spot Hidden +2

Luigi :
Credit Rating +4
Library Use +3
Persuade +2

Frank :
Fast Talk +3

Herb :
Credit Rating +5
Library Use +2

George :
Library Use +3

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 pm
by Tangerine
Huzzah! I cunningly instigated the world's first credit card - "The Skinless One will not be denied... His Credit Application! Talk to a Salik Credit agent today!"

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:05 pm
by G-Returner
Since we've had no news from Wayno and have no clue when he will get internet access again, I'm going to move things along and NPC him until he comes back.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 am
by normski
Sorry people for the unannounced departure of myself from this game. My computer gave up the ghost and is no more. I am actively seeking a replacement gfx card, but may well need a motherboard as well. I'll know Tuesday when I get it back.

Either way I'll be offline for a few days more, maybe till the end of the month (payday). If you could see your way to npc-ing George for a short while. I will be back as soon as I can. if I can borrow this lappie off my mate for a while .... but he say no!

Be back as soon as I can.

Norm

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:54 am
by G-Returner
No probs normski, I'll NPC you until then. We had a few unwilling breaks ourselves with the forum going offline now and then. Hopefully that's over :)

About Wayno: I'm going to wait a little more since he was a regular and dedicated player when he was on, but it's soon going to be a month since he last logged in and I have no idea when/if he will be back. If he remains MIA I'm going to let someone else play Frank.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:12 am
by G-Returner
Wayno has not come back so I have looked for a replacement.

Tabs will play Frank from now on.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 pm
by Tabs
Hello all. It will take me a few turns to get up to speed with the game, I'm looking forward to getting onboard.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 am
by Mr.Green
Welcome Tabs. So long as you keep your skin on, it'll be good.
:Mr.Green

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:58 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Tabs, you better get to work. We're out to save the world you know.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:29 am
by Tabs
A heavy load, but someone has to do it! Tabs hopes Frank will bear up.

BTW Frank is in the library still, isn't he?

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:57 am
by G-Returner
Yes. But his research will be over soon :)

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:00 pm
by kabukiman
I will be out this weekend.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:06 am
by G-Returner
Have fun :)

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:59 pm
by G-Returner
It's my turn to be out for the week-end, starting from now; I'll be back on sunday evening.

Enjoy this opportunity to discuss your next plans, as well as ask Mandrin your remaining questions, which he'll answer once I get back.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 pm
by kabukiman
Have a nice weekend!

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:14 am
by G-Returner
Normski told me a while ago that personal stuff was keeping him offline. I haven't heard from him so I'm going to NPC him for a while.

If he doesn't come back I'm tempted to not replace him, as I think the game works well with a compact group.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 am
by Mr.Green
I'm here, but I can't match the others post for post. If you feel I'm slowing the game for everyone, feel free to find a replacement. Until then, I'll post when I can ;)
Pete.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:28 pm
by Tabs
No! Mr. Green, I for one enjoy your posts. I have been posting often due to excitement with the new adventure, but have no wish to crowd out others. In fact I was considering posting once per two days, chiefly because I am running several characters and after ten weeks am feeling stretched.
What does everyone think, especially G-Returner?

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:37 pm
by G-Returner
Personally I would prefer if we kept the "once per day if possible" rate, though it's not a problem if you're occasionally unable to post.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 pm
by kabukiman
Sorry guys, I was sick with a problem that prevented me to write (and it's stilll painful).

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:52 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Sorry to hear that. Get better soon, looking like we are going to need everyone at 100% shortly...

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:44 pm
by Cearlan
Well people just a little note to let you all know that I am back on board the train to Hell.

I had intended to post on Monday, but family stuff kept me busy.

Sorry I been away for so long but I had some personal issues that needed to be dealt with, now hopefully resolved - time will tell.

Have to say I missed it here, and Thanks to G-Returner for keeping Georgie - boy alive.

I'll read up tonight and tomorrow night and will post once I am up to speed.

Speak Soon,

Norm aka George Smith, West Country P.I.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:20 am
by Tabs
Hi Cearlan, Frank Drebin may appear schizoid since George last surfaced, but he has had a few hard knocks, so you will understand!

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 am
by G-Returner
Hi guys, I'll be out for the week-end. Sorry for the short notice.

See you soon!

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:14 pm
by Cearlan
G-Man,

On Sunday I said I was taking a quick look at the arm - did I see anything other than stone?

Norm

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 pm
by G-Returner
Sorry, I must have missed that.

The arm is featureless and perfectly smooth, like porcelain china (although it weighs like stone).

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 pm
by Cearlan
No problem at all - just that I was sked to report what I found

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:20 pm
by G-Returner
Is the forum back yet? :twisted:

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:47 pm
by Cearlan
Any milage in my suggesting that we give G-Returner our e-mail addys just in case.

By all the Gods - have I missed this place!

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:36 am
by kabukiman
Probably a good idea.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:47 am
by Tabs
Here is my 'games' e-mail address: makken123(AT)googlemail(DOT)com

Now, to catch up on the story...

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:10 pm
by G-Returner
Mine's g-returner(at)hotmail.com if it's ever needed

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm
by Cearlan
norman(at)nglogan(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

That'll be me then

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:30 am
by Howerd Phillips
Howerd dot Phillips at yahoo dot com

G-Returner, do you want to send around a combined e-mail cc everyone so we all have it in our in box?

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 am
by kabukiman
avatarnovo (at) hotmail (dot) com

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:02 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Everyone back?

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:00 am
by G-Returner
You all gain 1d4 SAN for recovering the left arm of the simulacrum.

Howard: +3 SAN
Luigi: +2 SAN
Frank: +3 SAN
Herbert: +4 SAN
George: +3 SAN

However, being the owners of the arm also has a baleful influence on your party, in ways I'm not going to reveal. Your characters can feel that something makes them feel slightly uneasy, though they don't know what it is.

Salik has now officially left the party. The recent events have troubled him and he has decided he'd rather devote his life to academical research in universities.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:04 am
by G-Returner
Howerd Phillips wrote:Everyone back?
We're still missing Mr.Green since the forum exploded, hopefully we'll hear from him soon?

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:31 am
by Tabs
G-Returner, Frank wants to purshase a gun and have training to use it effectively. How shall he do that?

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:12 pm
by G-Returner
First he would need to purchase it in a country where it is not prohibited; it's forbidden in France but it is possible in Switzerland. Note that I am no expert when it comes to gun politics (especially in the 1920s), I try to keep it as realistic as possible based on the little I could find on the matter, but it's not necessarily accurate.

You would start with the basic firearms percentage. If you have time to spare and can afford to take a break from trying to find the simulacrum, then it may be possible to find someone to give you lessons. Otherwise the only way to boost your percentage is through actual practice.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 pm
by Tabs
Okay, Frank will wait until Switzerland. What is the basic percentage 25%, 30%? I haven't the rules to hand, but a handgun such as a .38 Revolver?

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:44 pm
by G-Returner
The basic percentage for any handgun is 20%

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:00 pm
by G-Returner
Hey guys. I'm going to have to put the game on hold for a week as I'm going on holidays with no net access. I'll be back next saturday. See you soon!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:24 pm
by Cearlan
Holiday - HOLIDAY!!!!

How Dare you Sir!

Have a great time there buddy!

speak soon

Norm

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:37 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Have a good vacation. I'll be out at the end of this week through next week, although I should be able to post on my Blackberry...

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:26 pm
by G-Returner
Here are the raises gained from your adventures in Paris (sorry, they're a bit late):

They have been added to your character sheets.

Howard :
Psychoanalysis +2
Psychology +5

Luigi :
Spot Hidden +6

Frank :
Persuade +3

Herb :
Bargain +6

George :
Library Use +3

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 am
by Tabs
My turn for hols, back next weekend. I may get online, though.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:58 am
by G-Returner
Kabukiman, are you still with us?

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:23 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Kabukiman wrote the following in another forum:

"I have bad news. I have an insane amount of work to do this week. And next week, I'm in hollidays in Holand, with no acess to net. I'l be out after to Belgium, so I will only have acess to the net in a regular way, after 20 of september. I'm very sorry."

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:40 pm
by G-Returner
Yes he PM'd me the info as well :)

Herb is still missing so I have begun searching for a replacement for him.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 am
by G-Returner
With Frank on holidays, Luigi busy with work/holidays and Herb missing we are reduced to a small team at the moment.

Thankfully Frank will be back this week-end and Herb is about to be replaced. He hasn't showed up on the forum in two months so it's fair to assume he's MIA.

George, anything you'd like to add while you're in the Wellingtons' place?

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:09 pm
by Cearlan
G-Returner wrote: George, anything you'd like to add while you're in the Wellingtons' place?
I did think of a conversation with the ever-laconic William, but what I was going to say has already been asked.

I'm good to go thanks

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:22 pm
by zielonobrody
So it seems I'll be taking over Mr. Green. Sounds like a Clue character ;) Col. Mustard to the rescue ;)

I'll read over the wiki and the last chapter tomorrow.
Cearlan,The Haunting is resurrected, go role play :)
Edit: I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Piotr, and I am the author of this crazy bass line: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpmv1RgARMM :mrgreen:
I play lacrosse and I'm Keeping two games here at the moment.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:32 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Welcome!

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:30 pm
by Tabs
zielonobrody wrote: Edit: I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Piotr, and I am the author of this crazy bass line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpmv1RgARMM :mrgreen:
Is that you? :)

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:07 pm
by zielonobrody
Tabs wrote:
zielonobrody wrote: Edit: I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Piotr, and I am the author of this crazy bass line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpmv1RgARMM :mrgreen:
Is that you? :)
nah, that's our singer.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:31 pm
by zielonobrody
So I just managed to catch up with the current chapter and I'd like to know what's going on with my character :D

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:13 pm
by G-Returner
He's with the others at the Wellingtons' place. Feel free to join in, and welcome :)

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:53 pm
by zielonobrody
oh, OK. thanks. I thought they might have sent him to the library. I guess I missed something.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:59 pm
by zielonobrody
Now wait a minute, there's just George, Howard and Frank at the Wellingtons. Is he back at the hotel then?

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 am
by G-Returner
No, you're all at the Wellingtons. But since Mr.Green has been missing and no one was playing him, Herb has stayed quiet so far.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:36 pm
by zielonobrody
You're the boss :)

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:19 am
by zielonobrody
Did I miss something about entrails? :D

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm
by kabukiman
Hello! I'm back! What am I suppose to know?

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:16 pm
by G-Returner
Hi, welcome back.

You're with the others at the hotel lobby. According to Frank's suggestion, Luigi went and followed a man after watching over the Wellingtons' house. All the explanations are in the main thread.

Note that Luigi only watched the house and did not enter it, so please don't read the "IC: Frank, George and Luigi watch the taxidermy shop (CH3)" thread as it mainly deals with what happened inside and Luigi only stayed outside.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:32 pm
by Black Goat
Hello, all. I'm taking over Herbert Green's character.

(I must say, just being pedantic, it seems unlikely that a 1920s Englishman would be known as "Herb" - that seems altogether too American. Brits would be more likely to call him Herbert - or, if they really had to shorten his name (working-class people might), they'd probably call him "Bert". But I don't want to interrupt the momentum of the adventure, and everyone seems to have become accustomed to referring to him as "Herb", so I'll let it lie.)

I've spent the last four hours (!) reading everything that's relevant to "Herb", and I feel I'm up to speed now. Pity I wasn't around for the Paris leg, as I do speak French, and those Babelfish translations, though serviceable, do leave something to be desired. I also speak Italian, so I can help make Luigi more idiomatic if this is desired.

Anyway, just so I'm clear - we're all back at the hotel in Lausanne, aren't we? And everyone's gone to sleep in the same room except for "Herb". I'd like to know if he sees anything unusual about his comrades while they're asleep (does the arm disappear into Dream Lausanne, for example?), but I can't post on the thread and the 'normal' Lausanne thread is locked.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:39 pm
by G-Returner
Welcome :)

Yes I locked the normal Lausanne thread since only Herb was left there and there was no one to play him. You can start playing IC with me through PMs for now, until you are reunited with the others.

Herb's comrades merely appear to be sleeping: they have a pulse and otherwise look normally healthy, though they remain completely motionless (a person sleeping normally would move in his sleep). The arm and whatever else they have held in their arms while taking the drug is still there in the room.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:23 pm
by Black Goat
OK, I'm playing via PM for the time being.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:06 pm
by zielonobrody
Sorry I messed Herb up again for you guys. Have fun playing him :) Have a fun game everyone!

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:12 pm
by kabukiman
Welcome black goat!
I also know italian, but since all the characters speak in english or french, it wasn't necessary to use it.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 pm
by Tabs
Image Hello, from Frank Drebin [a lapsed American journalist].

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 pm
by Black Goat
Hello, Tabs. Fancy meeting you here. ;)

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:40 pm
by G-Returner
Points gained during Chapter 3:

Howard:
+1% Psychology

Frank:
+2% Fast Talk

Herbert:
+5% Library Use

George:
+8% Spot Hidden

(No bonus for Luigi this time)

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 pm
by Black Goat
Is she called Andrea Stefani in the booklet? Only Andrea's a man's name (in Italian).

Just sayin'.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:06 pm
by G-Returner
Yes, that is her proper name. I didn't know it was a man's name in Italian... I looked it up and it turns out the name's gender varies a lot depending on the country of origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea This character really is a woman though :D So let's just say she has family outside of Italy, hence the name meant as a female name.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:46 am
by Tabs
Wings of War (the game) is designed by the Italian (male) Andrea Angiolillo - so your comments had occurred to me as well. I just thought that Italians are not hung-up on gender!

BTW I'll be away from Saturday through to Thursday.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 am
by Black Goat
I have a very busy couple of days ahead, so I won't be able to post again before Wednesday lunchtime (Wednesday morning, if you're in the US) and perhaps not even then depending on how things go.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:30 am
by G-Returner
Sorry guys, I can't write much at the moment. I'll be back very soon.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:44 pm
by Tabs
G-Returner wrote:Sorry guys, I can't write much at the moment. I'll be back very soon.
The above + not recieving my e-mail notification (for some obscure reason) are why I haven't posted. As Captain Darling eloquently wrote when he discovered he was to 'go over the top': "Bugger!"

Edit: After reading the posts I see I didn't miss much, maybe I'd have posted: "Holy crap! Run for it."

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:52 pm
by Black Goat
Christmas plans

Might this be a good time to discuss our availability over the festive season? I should be around every day until Xmas Eve, and I might be able to post on the 26th but I'm away from Sunday 27th through to Wednesday 30th (I think, have to double-check the dates).

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:04 pm
by G-Returner
From Christmas Eve until New Year, I probably won't be able to post at all (or extremely scarcely).

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:14 am
by Howerd Phillips
No! Must..have..posts...

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 am
by Tabs
Sadly, my mother-in-law is visiting us; the good news is that excepting the big Chrimbo days, I'll be online.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:34 am
by Cearlan
I will be away from home all this next week, and internet access where I am bound is absolutly pants - i.e. non-existant. I will post if I possibly can, though I reckon it will be unlikely.

See you around the 18th / 19th

Norm

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 pm
by kabukiman
I will be out until day 27 for hollidays. So I wish you all a merry christmas! And please NPC my character.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:56 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Merry Christmas! Can't believe this is going on over a year...

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:10 pm
by G-Returner
Merry Christmas and happy new year to all. :) From this moment until the new year, I probably won't be able to post. I will if I get the chance, but it's not guaranteed. The game will resume properly in 2010.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:04 am
by Cearlan
Happy Xmas and New year to you all

Norm

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:55 pm
by G-Returner
Ok - back.

I hope you all had a great holiday season.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:16 pm
by G-Returner
Something came up and I don't have much time to post today; I'll be back tomorrow.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:27 pm
by kabukiman
I just will be able to post monday

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:30 am
by kabukiman
So, we are running the road of the zelots ;) . We killed a man who didn't harm us, who was just probably doing his job. We would be nice recruits to the inquisition! Everyone is is guilty. :)

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:09 pm
by Tabs
kabukiman wrote:So, we are running the road of the zelots ;) . We killed a man who didn't harm us, who was just probably doing his job. We would be nice recruits to the inquisition! Everyone is is guilty. :)
...somewhere in Milan: "Mummy, when will Daddy be home?"

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm
by Cearlan
Aye the above is true, but I will put the theory forward .. if yu carry a weapon, then you must be prepared to use it ... he drew his weapon on us totally umprovoked.

Now there's a comfortable story for you!

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Uh, are you guys getting into trouble? Been waiting for you to catch up, I think I'm nearly done finding all the pieces and will start on the scrolls next... (Poor Herb must be completely bored...)

Fyi, will be on vacation next week but should be able to post daily. If not Herb can PC my character...

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:49 pm
by Tabs
The investigators need cellphones.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:17 am
by Black Goat
Howerd Phillips wrote:Poor Herb must be completely bored...)
Don't worry about it, I'm chilling. Anyway, I've been really unwell these past few weeks (it's been a long, long winter here in the UK) and it's been a relief not to have to think about adventuring.

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not PC Howerd's character as I'd prefer not to know things that Herb wouldn't know. On the other hand, if it's the only way of getting the game done, then I'll consider it.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 am
by Tabs
it's been a long, long winter here in the UK
Agreed - I hate, hate cold damp grey England. The other seasons are lovely, though.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 am
by kabukiman
Well, our weather here in Portugal has been similar to yours this year. Rain, rain, rain.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:49 pm
by G-Returner
Kabukiman - don't forget to post in the IC thread as well :D

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:32 pm
by kabukiman
Done! Let's make company latter to poor Herb.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:59 pm
by G-Returner
I'm out for the week-end. Cheers :)

PS: I hope Black Goat is alive and well.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:45 pm
by Black Goat
Yes, I'm fine!

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 am
by kabukiman
For the rest of the week I'm out in work. I should be back again only monday. Feel free to npc my character.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:21 pm
by G-Returner
I'm out for the week-end again. See you soon :twisted:

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:04 pm
by Tabs
Thanks, I appreciate the notification.

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:09 pm
by Black Goat
Annoyingly, just when Herb has got back into the action, I have to tell you that I'll be away next week. I'll be able to check in tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday, but probably not again until Friday night (April 9th) or even the next day. There's an outside chance I'll be able to get a couple of minutes online in the meantime but I wouldn't count on it. Apologies if this holds up the action - do NPC Herb if it keeps things going. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 pm
by Tabs
G-Returner has done a new wiki, check it out, link in the Wiki topic.

Next stop: Venice
Alvise de Gremanci was a man living in Venice in the late 18th century.

He was an automaton and doll maker of some notoriety. His dolls and moving mechanical people were very fashionable at the time, and often made great gifts for children and mistresses.

He bought a piece of the Sedefkar Simulacrum, after it was carried in Venice by Napoleon's soldiers.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 am
by Black Goat
I can't be the only one to make a connection between the neck scars of Faccia, Caterina (or whoever the old woman was) and the fact that George has been stabbed in the neck.

What it all means, however, is another matter.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am
by kabukiman
Our characters are too worried about a chamaleon and transporting the torso.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 am
by G-Returner
Black Goat - do you take the spare gun? Note it only has 2 bullets left in it.

If you do take it, since you don't have a license, just don't let the police catch you with it.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 pm
by Black Goat
Sorry, didn't see this. I think I'd rather not handle the gun given the absence of a licence/license. Two bullets isn't going to make much difference, and Herb has no experience of firearms.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:16 pm
by G-Returner
Right. The gun will remain with Frank then, unless he doesn't want to keep it.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 pm
by Cearlan
I apologise for the lack of posting recently but I haave been having computer problems that have involved two reformats of my HD and subsequent loss of everything on here, programmes files the lot. But I seem to be getting on top of it now - just have to re-download & reinstall it all again <sigh>

Also, I shall be away from a computer from tomorrow until the 2nd May so could you NPC my character please

Cheers,

Norm

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:30 pm
by G-Returner
Points gained during Chapter 4:

Howard:
+2% Psychoanalysis
+1% Spot Hidden

Luigi:
+8% Dodge
+9% Handgun

Frank:
+1% Fist/Punch
+1% Handgun

Herbert:
No points gained this time.

George:
No points gained this time.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 am
by kabukiman
I will be out this week in holidays, will only return next week.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:24 am
by Tabs
I'll be unable to post next week.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 am
by kabukiman
I'm back

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:01 am
by Cearlan
OK people, time to let you all know what is going on here at Chez Logan.

I was away on a course at the back end of April when totally out the blue, and with no prior incidents - either personally or in the family I suffered a series of seizures, bad enough to hospitalise me for a week. There is a 2 1/2 day period where I have no recollection at all about anything. Add to this I have blanks in my memory which I am hoping are only temporary.

Now they completed all manner of tests, lumbar puncutures, Electro Encephelogram (sp? - EEG anyway) numerous x-rays, scans, drips and 1000 and 1 other things. The end result being that they found nothing wrong with me.

This is worrying in the extreme as my job revolves around remembering stuff at a fairly complex level, and I am growing more and more concerned about this. Enough to say that for the time being Roleplaying is on the back burner for me, sorry about that, but I hope you understand the concerns I have presently. Add to that I have some major life changes about to happen then like Hasturs gaze falls upon the Earth periodically, then my gaze haas fallen elsewhere for the time being.

Sorry to mess you all around - I will be back!

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:54 am
by Black Goat
Sorry to hear this, Cearlan. I suffer from epilepsy - now thankfully controlled by medication - but I've never lost more than a day. You've probably already been told this, but it's the sort of thing that can happen only once in a lifetime; or it can be more long-term. Let's hope, for your sake, it's the first. Seizures are awful things - it really is like something else taking control of your body. Good luck, and keep in touch!

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:43 am
by G-Returner
Thanks for letting us know Cearlan. We all understand your real life troubles are a lot more important than roleplaying.

Best of luck with your recovery, and do keep in touch when you can.

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:01 am
by Howerd Phillips
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with things.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:16 pm
by G-Returner
Life is a bit hectic for me at the moment and I probably won't be able to post at all this week-end. Things should calm down next week.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 pm
by G-Returner
I won't be able to get online this week-end. Adventures in Venice will continue after that... Feel free to discuss your plans in the meantime.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 pm
by G-Returner
What's up guys? I understand the pace has been slow lately - I have had a lot on my plate these last weeks so I haven't been as active as I would have liked; perhaps it's the same for you guys. Nevertheless, I am still very much interested in keeping the game alive.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 am
by Howerd Phillips
I thought we were off to the island..been waiting for update. Would love to do a weekly Skype game, but probably wouldn't work with different time zones...

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 am
by Tabs
Let's fast forward to the funeral tomorrow. Perhaps give a description of the island when we visit it today (unless, of course, there is something at the island to encounter).

I don't want to do Skype, but I do like the idea of a weekly game (as well as the usual pbp) where we agree to be online together for an hour or two. Maybe a Sunday afternoon in England.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 am
by Black Goat
Sunday afternoons hopeless for me, sorry (family time).

Yes, I was also just waiting for the keeper to tell us what happened when we went to the island, if anything.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am
by kabukiman
Afternoon for me is complicated

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:21 pm
by G-Returner
Right on - I thought you were going to discuss your plans a bit more before going to the island. I'll post the resolution in a few.

You do have leads to go on here; letting time pass and waiting for things to happen is a bad idea.

A guarantee of being online and available at any specific time is complicated for me, unfortunately.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:49 am
by G-Returner
I am going offline for two weeks.

The game will resume when I get back; cheers!

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:39 am
by Howerd Phillips
Back?

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:07 am
by G-Returner
Tada! Yep.

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:41 pm
by Black Goat
Am going away tomorrow until Friday. Might have online access while I'm away, but can't count on it (especially when Mrs Goat will be asking me why I'm on the computer when I should be taking her and the children to the beach). Feel free to play Herb for me - he will stick with what the majority are doing, if that's any guidance.

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 am
by kabukiman
I'm back

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:39 am
by Black Goat
So am I.

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 am
by kabukiman
I will be out until next friday. Enjoy the game!

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 am
by kabukiman
I'm back

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:13 pm
by G-Returner
Welcome back! Luigi is with Howard and Herb in the main IC thread.

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 pm
by Tabs
I hope no one is waiting on Frank?

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:18 pm
by Howerd Phillips
I am, I'm waiting for someone to throw me a rope!

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 pm
by Tabs
Where art thou, G-Returner?

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 pm
by Black Goat
I suppose he was waiting for us to do something. Sorry, am very busy with work myself and have a cycling accident to contend with. Nothing serious, just annoying.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:22 am
by Tabs
Black Goat wrote:I suppose he was waiting for us to do something.
Uh, I don't know. Something has happened, but what?--could be anything....

Can your cycling accident match mine? About 15 years ago I came off my bicycle on a roundabout and broke my thumb. Not particularly spectacular, I'm afraid; but I did manage a pleasing skid.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 pm
by Black Goat
Nope, nowhere close. I just turned the knee a bit and grazed my wrist. Could have been so much worse.

My brother came off his bike earlier in the year and slid down the side of a mountain. Deep gashes in his thigh and leg; couldn't walk for ages. But he does proper race cycling, not just pootling off to the shops like I do.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 am
by G-Returner
Sorry to keep you all on hold but I'm going through a major real life problem that I need to sort out.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:27 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Hope all is well...

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 pm
by Black Goat
No hurry, G-R. I've got a ton of work on, so I'd appreciate a break for a week or so.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm
by Tabs
Ditto.

I am getting my gaming fix at yucata.de. Any one fancy playing a board game?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 am
by Howerd Phillips
All OK?

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:24 pm
by Tabs
Yep--I'm playing in Zombie Apocolypse.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:17 pm
by Black Goat
I'd be quite grateful for minimal activity in this game until at least the start of December. Not that I can't check in at all, but I may not be able to give the action the thought it deserves.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:00 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Any update?

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:54 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Just a friendly weekly check in...

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm
by Tabs
I'm still here too.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 am
by Howerd Phillips
G-returner, everything OK?

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm
by G-Returner
Howerd Phillips and kabukiman have expressed interest in reprising their characters.

I haven't heard from Tabs yet.

Black Goat had to decline due to lack of time, and I don't think Cearlan still visits the site.

So we are looking at at least two replacements needed to get going again.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:05 pm
by G-Returner
Tabs doesn't want to return, so we only have two players at the moment.

We will need more before we can resume.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
I didn't see a thread for character creation, so I'll just post my character here if that's all right. I did have time tonight after all.

Character creation rolls (STR, CON, POW, DEX, APP, SIZ, INT, EDU) (3d6=7, 3d6=12, 3d6=9, 3d6=12, 3d6=12, 2d6+6=12, 2d6+6=16, 3d6+3=18)

Name: Felicity Hayward
Player: Mr. Handy
Sex: Female
College, Degrees:
Birthplace: London, England

Characteristics:
STR 7
CON 12
SIZ 12
DEX 12
APP 12
INT 16 (Idea - 80)
POW 9 (Luck - 45)
EDU 18 (Know - 90)

Sanity: 45
Current Sanity: 45
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None

Hit Points: 12
Current Hit Points: 12
Magic Points: 9
Current Magic Points: 9
Damage Bonus: +0

Appearance & Personality: Felicity is a well-to-do, pretty young socialite from London. Bubbly and outgoing, she loves to have fun and is never bored, able to find enjoyment in anything. She is 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs 130 pounds, with short black hair. Felicity is a modern woman, not particularly caring what other people think of her attitude, though she is generally good at getting people to like her, and she likes meeting new people. Her mother wants her to get married and settle down, but she isn't ready and hasn't met the right man yet. She's having far too good a time for that. Currently she is taking a tour of continental Europe, riding on the Orient Express - unchaperoned. She has really been looking forward to this trip, hoping to satisfy her thirst for adventure and romance.

Background: Felicity is from a wealthy London family. Her father Cedric, 45, is a businessman who owns an oil company, and her mother Agatha, 44, is a prim and proper lady. Felicity has inherited her mother's looks, but not her attitude. Her wild exploits sometimes make the pages of the scandal papers, much to the mortification of her parents.

Skills: (professional one in italics, .private preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art(Dancing) (05%): 45%
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft(Crochet) (05%): 30%
Credit Rating (15%): 75%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX×2): 24%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%): 65%
.First Aid (30%): 60%
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
.Listen (25%): 55%
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Other Language: French (01%): 31%
Other Language: German (01%): 31%
Own Language: English (EDU×5%): 90%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 60%
Ride (05%): 35%
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 60%
.Swim (25%): 55%
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
.Kick (25%): 60%
Grapple (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%): 60%
SMG (15%):

Equipment:
to be determined

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am
by G-Returner
Looks good!

I suppose you have met the others during the train journey - we can think of a way to introduce you to the current state of the story (I'll try and finish the summary today).

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm
by kabukiman
I'm sure Luigi will love meet her 8-)

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"The feeling is mutual, darling."

I realized that the picture in my character sheet wasn't showing up, but I found it located somewhere else and edited it, putting in a larger version.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 am
by Laine
Name: Oya Sevim
Sex: Female
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3435538/

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3435544/

Str: 8 Dex: 12 Int:14
Con: 10 App: 14 Pow: 12
Size: 11 Edu: 9

Idea: 70
Luck: 60
Know: 30
San: 60

Hp: 11
MP: 12

SKILLS : Using Criminal Occupational Skills.
(non-default skills in BOLD)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
*Art (05%):
Chengis Dance 65%
Zills: 25%
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%)
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%): 51%
*Dodge (DEXx2): 44%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electr. Repair ():
Fast Talk (05%): 50%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
*Hide (10%): 25%
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%): 10%
Library Use (25%):
*Listen (25%): 30%
Locksmith (01%): 6%
Mech. Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%): 10%
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%): 10%
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
Other Language Italian (01%): 5%
Other Language English (01%): 25%
Own Language (EDUx5): Turkish 45%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 10%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 36%
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
*Throw (25%): 31% (knives)
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):

Oya was born into poverty in the streets of Istanbul in 1905. Although her family was poor they were rich in dance, music and culture. She has spent her child hood traveling from market to market and festival to festival with her mother, aunts and cousins entertaining with music and dance. Often times as their parents performed, Oya and her cousins would pickpocket from the unaware audience. Life however wasn't always easy and due to their place in society her mother was often raped or otherwise abused by men. Oya herself didn't go through childhood unharmed and was often abused herself. As she grew older she turned to opium in order to dull the experiences she has gone through.

She often performs in rather seedy environments such as opium dens, prostitute houses, night clubs as well as in typical areas such as markets, fairs and festivals.
It was during a performance at a night club that she was taken as 'payment' for debts owed by her mother and sold into underground slavery to Milan several years ago. It was during this time she became addicted to opium in order to dull her experiences working and performing in brothels. However she became determined to return home and after many sleepless nights in servitude she bolted from her capturers and with what little money she had she boarded the Oriental Express in hope to return to Istanbul and find her family.

Oya is a rather attractive 20 year old who moves with a certain amount of flamboyance and grace when performing, but has become rather withdrawn due to her life experiences. She carries with her several dancing out fits, but generally appears in rather plain clothing for the era otherwise. She has a strong will and a when feeling disrespected will quickly make her opinion known.

I really would like to play this concept, however I fear the language barrier might be very difficult to overcome. Due to her edu score she barely knows her own language let alone the languages across Europe. I also not sure how this plays into skills such as fast talk when she may not speak the languages of other characters. Can other factors such as body language come into play in such situations?

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd love to learn how to dance like that!"

Great character concept! Note that EDU is rolled on 3d6+3, not on 3d6, so you should actually have a 9 in the stat. This gives you 45% in Turkish, a Know score of 45, and an extra 60 occupational skill points.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am
by G-Returner
Great concept :)

Indeed, you should have an EDU of 9 instead of 6.

Turkish will prove useful, but to at least be able to communicate fluently with the other investigators I recommend that you spend some of these extra skill points on obtaining a reasonable level of English speaking. Generally speaking, a language level of around 25% means you can make yourself understood in a "broken" version of the language, i.e. you will make mistakes but be understandable, while a level of around 75% indicates perfect fluency. A score above that percentage means you are particularly talented and likely to know very rare words, etc.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:06 am
by Laine
Thanks for the skill approval. Anyway, I edited my character sheet to reflect the additional skill points I diveded them between English, Disguise and Sneak. Hope to get started soon.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 am
by G-Returner
We are almost ready to go, how do you two suppose you met the other investigators, and where are you currently? Ideally you should be with the team at the Gremanci factory so you can start playing right away - that involves a little bit of history rewriting, but I don't mind.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Looking like we are getting started soon!

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:35 pm
by kabukiman
I don't want to spoil the idea of Laine character, but our investigators may have some reserves with a turkish char after what we heard before. She will have to proove herself a lot. Oh, and italians didn't liked turkish at that time (and the feeling was mutual) for historical reasons.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm
by G-Returner
True, but this will provide good opportunities for some in character bickering :)

By the way, I'm changing "Istanbul" in your character sheet to "Constantinople", which is what the city was known as back then.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:04 pm
by G-Returner
Another option that I'm thinking of to avoid having to do too much "rewriting history" is that the two new investigators could unexpectedly come face to face with the others at the factory, being also (for some reason that they can come up with) searching for the simulacrum pieces, or maybe something else entirely. This would allow for an in character meeting.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:43 am
by Howerd Phillips
Works for me. The floor in the warehouse looks..fragile..enough for two others to slip away into the dark forever lost...

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy
I just realized that I left the Colleges and Degrees section blank in my character sheet by mistake, but Felicity would have at least the equivalent of a Master's Degree with her high EDU and upbringing. I'm not sure which institutions would have been coed in the late 1910s/early 1920s, however, but Oxford would be my first choice. They probably accepted female grad students even if undergrads were still only male. Her degrees would be in English literature.

Oya's character sheet still shows a Know of 30, but it should be 45 with her EDU of 9. Also, the year of her birth plus her age doesn't match with when the game takes place (January 1923).

It's possible that our characters have all seen each other on the train between Milan and Venice and perhaps even met, though I'd like to roleplay our meeting and integration into the group in the game. However, it would make sense for Felicity and Oya to have met each other on the train and become friends; they may have been assigned to share the same compartment. I can see Felicity taking Oya under her wing and showing her the sights of Venice.

I don't think we have a good reason to be at the toy factory, but I have a better idea if you don't mind running two threads in parallel for a little while. We could also have met Maria on the train and befriended her. We could have been at her father's funeral and then gone back to her place with her, which is where we'd be right now. Then we could help her with her problem with Rossini. Our groups would be separate at first, but there's a good chance we'd cross paths. Even if we didn't, we'd all be on the same train from Venice to Trieste and could meet then.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:27 am
by Laine
Actually, I don't find the racial, cultural and political differences to take away from my character at all, but rather it adds more depth to her situation. I am no stranger to navigating such situations....

Anyway, I like Mr.Handy's idea of a short introductry thread for our two characters that is seperate from the main group.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:24 am
by G-Returner
That is also a good idea; it is settled then, I will now create the new threads and we will start playing :)

The sheets have been corrected. You will also want to decide on the equipment you are carrying.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
Felicity's luggage consists of multiple steamer trunks (she's depending on porters and such to move them for her). She does not travel light to say the least. Her luggage contains:
  • A very extensive wardrobe, containing a variety of clothing, including fancy dresses, everyday but still expensive and lovely outfits (she even has trousers, which she has been known to wear - gasp!), several pairs of shoes, stylish yet functional boots, bathing suits, underwear, night clothes, multiple hats, and so on. In short, she has something for every occasion. She also has various pieces of valuable jewelry.
  • A 12-gauge double barrel shotgun (for hunting) with multiple boxes of shells, in its own carrying case
  • Numerous books, mostly literature. She's currently reading Ulysses by James Joyce, which she bought in Paris. The book is banned in the UK, but she hopes to smuggle it back in when she returns by disguising it with another book's dust jacket and keeping it mixed in with her other books. She also has travel guides for the various cities she has visited and will be visiting along the Orient Express route.
  • Toiletries and cosmetics, including a straight razor
  • Pens, ink, and plenty of writing paper
  • Bottles of expensive wine, champagne, and liquor
  • Traveller's cheques
  • Camera and lots of film
  • First aid kit
  • Sewing kit
Felicity carries on her person a purse containing cosmetics (including a compact with a mirror), an ivory cigarette holder, cigarettes, and a lighter, plenty of spending money, local maps, and her passport. She is currently wearing a black dress and a black hat with a veil, along with some of her jewelry (this is what she wore to Maria's father's funeral).

EDIT: I added a first aid kit and sewing kit to my luggage.

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:36 pm
by G-Returner
I am having connection troubles at home (I'm posting from elsewhere right now). Thankfully it should be fixed sometime tomorrow.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:48 am
by G-Returner
I'm going away for the weekend, I'll be back on monday evening.

Have a good day!

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:07 pm
by ImpInTraining
Heya ...

just putting a little something in here so it starts showing up when I "View Your Posts"... ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 pm
by kabukiman
I'm very sorry for not having post this days, but I have been sick and not able to go to the computer. I'm near recovered now, and I can post again.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:43 pm
by ImpInTraining
Heading out to California for some work - not sure how it will effect my gaming. But feel free to NPC me if necessary.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:38 pm
by G-Returner
I would like both groups to be travelling together and both be looking for the Simulacrum by the time you reach Trieste. Otherwise, there won't be much of interest to do in Trieste for the group who doesn't know about the Simulacrum, nor will there be any good reason for you to stick together. This can be done any way you wish, I am open to your ideas.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:17 pm
by kabukiman
Well, Luigi can try to "conquer" Mr handy character, drink too much and tell everything by boasting. Howard can be delirious when in the presence of the other chars and tell also everything.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
That sounds like a good possibility. Felicity's sense of adventure would be enough for her to join up with the other group. We also have Maria and Giorgio in common, and that could come up in conversation.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 am
by Howerd Phillips
Or Felicity knew the Professor, this comes up on a conversation which spurs relaying why we are here.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:01 pm
by G-Returner
That seems like a good option, it would establish a common acquaintance and a sense of trust among the characters. Professor Smith knows a lot of people, and through the newspapers Felicity is probably aware of his disappearance in the fire that destroyed his house.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 am
by ImpInTraining
John is likely to be wanting to take a peek in those bags to find out what's so valuable in it... which might lead to something. Not sure if he'll be able to find his way to the baggage cart, but he'll try most likely.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:07 am
by G-Returner
The fourgon is guarded 24/7 by the staff of the Orient Express and no one is permitted inside during the journey (not even to take their own bags). John presumably already knows this. If he wants to have a peek inside, his best bet is to give it a try before the bags are taken in. In that case, be aware a successful Sneak roll will be needed to avoid being noticed.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:03 pm
by ImpInTraining
Stuck at work... Could you make the roll on my behalf please?

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:40 pm
by kabukiman
This won't be good... With our characters so paranoid I hope John has an EXCELENT excuse.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:27 pm
by Howerd Phillips
(And that isn't even from losing SAN...)

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:20 am
by ImpInTraining
Dang... caught in the act... *blush* Hopefully my silver tongue can get me out of it.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll be away at a convention, leaving mid-afternoon on July 4 and returning the night of July 8 (though I might not be able to post until the night of July 9).

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:06 pm
by kabukiman
I'm out in hollidays and do't have much acess to the net. Feel free to npc Luigi, I should be able to return next week.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:16 pm
by G-Returner
I will move things on tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 am
by kabukiman
I'm more or less back.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 pm
by G-Returner
Here are your raises gained in Venice. They have been added to your character sheets.

Howard:
Library Use +6
Spot Hidden +3

Luigi:
Library Use +8

Felicity:
Fast Talk +4

John:
none (hasn't really done anything in this chapter)

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm
by ImpInTraining
Shoulda got a skill raise in charm... cuz I'm a striking devil...

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:02 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Can you remind me where the wiki is? I can't remember what we are supposed to do in Trieste.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:47 pm
by G-Returner
It is here but it hasn't yet been updated to reflect the most recent events: http://horrorontheorientexpress.wikia.c ... press_Wiki

Your only clue is to find one Johann Winckelmann at "the museum".

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:57 pm
by G-Returner
I'll be gone for the week-end, but don't let that stop you from discussing your next plans :)

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 pm
by ImpInTraining
I think we should put pennies on the track.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:24 pm
by Howerd Phillips
I don't know, a penny was worth more back then...

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:28 pm
by ImpInTraining
Oh, that's all right, it's not my penny.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 am
by kabukiman
Hi! Sorry for being out for so long, but didn't had acess to a computer, but now I can resume playing.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 am
by Howerd Phillips
Everyone on vacation?

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 pm
by ImpInTraining
Vacation... what's that?

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:14 am
by Howerd Phillips
I think that is where everyone else but you and me are right now...

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy
No, I'm still here. I haven't posted in the IC thread again since I was the last one to post there.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:27 pm
by ImpInTraining
FYI - gonna be on a road trip Tuesday through Saturday ... will try to post, but no guarantees.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 am
by Howerd Phillips
Hello?

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:51 pm
by kabukiman
Still here

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:16 pm
by ImpInTraining
Me too. Suppose I should say something in character, although it's way outside of his normal comfort zone. Wasn't sure what he might say.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm still here too.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:54 pm
by G-Returner
Sorry for the absence, I have been ill.

I'm ready to continue.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 am
by Howerd Phillips
All OK?

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm
by kabukiman
I'm very sorry, but for the next 2 weeks, I won't be able to post, I'm absolutely full of work. I'l resume as soon as possible.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:46 pm
by G-Returner
I'm sorry, all is fine but I am up to my waist in work and always come back home exhausted at the moment... I'll resume asap.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:47 pm
by ImpInTraining
I may be without power for a few days after this hurricane is through beating the snot out of our area... Sunday night or Monday morning. They say to expect for 3 days without power. If that happens, please feel free to NPC me as necessary.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:35 am
by Howerd Phillips
Ditto...worst storm in 100 years? Let's hope not...

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm
by ImpInTraining
Some of ya'll who don't know me don't realize how much of a conspiracy theorist I am. :) Let me clear things up for you.

Even if this wasn't 'the worst storm in 100 years', to bring up the hype that it is causes better news ratings, which means more revenue, and also helps stimulate the economy believe it or not. We are completely out of generators probably within a 500 mile radius of this storm. Plywood sales - up. Water, batteries, flashlights, toilet paper... the people emptied the shelves around here. It is in their best interest to scare the bejeezus out of everyone, and they had several days to do it.

Now, they are making big deals on the news about just what you'd expect from a hurricane. "Look at this dock... completely submerged by the raising waters!" "Oh my... it's eating away at the beach!" No shit... it's a hurricane. That's what they do.

They've called a state of emergency, and I can't figure out if it is because the government has simply bought the hype, or if they're part of the conspiracy. If you think about it, they claim a disaster, that means millions of tax-payer dollars refocused to 'rebuild' ... even if there's only a few hundred-thousand dollars worth of damage.

It's only a category 1 hurricane. People in Florida still go to the beach on days like today... although it's much warmer for them. But they're urging us at 10-minute intervals to 'hunker down', and don't brave the roads ... that "PEOPLE WILL DIE". Yeah... no matter what that'll be a true statement. People die every day.

It's just rediculous, if you ask me. But then again, there are a lot of stupid people on the East Coast, maybe this sense of dread is going to help keep them from being stupid? Who knows...

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:20 pm
by Howerd Phillips
Not sure if the East Coast has more stupid people than elsewhere..a debate for another time perhaps?

I did lose power at 2:00 p.m. this afternoon. Now on a generator. Winds are supposed to be the roughest tonight. As for conspiracies, I'm pretty sure they just turned off my power just for fun...

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:09 pm
by ImpInTraining
Bah... so what... you lost power. Even if you lost power for a few days, it's not the end of times. Raid your fridge and eat up anything that will go bad in a day or two first. Restock after power comes back. Not like it's the middle of winter in sub-zero temperatures... or the middle of summer during a heat wave. This is probably the best time of the year to be without power.

I was out of power for a few hours last night... they restored power while the eye of the hurricane flew over my house. Want to see all the devestating damage? http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 387&type=3

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:56 am
by Howerd Phillips
Power is now back. Not quite six days (a little different than your few hours). What did I miss?

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Nothing has happened in over a month. We're still waiting for our Keeper (and Kabukiman) to return.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 am
by Howerd Phillips
G-Returner, all OK?