IC-OMAHA-Dread(Adler/Ron/Miguel/Roy/Kate/Alvin/Murray/etc)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Dread(Adler/Ron/Miguel/Roy/Kate/Alvin/Murray/etc)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 4:29 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
In the east hall, ground floor-
"Thanks for sticking with us, Roy," said Principal Adler as he led the way down the hall with the chair. "You did real good back there, and I know we can count on you. You're right about not giving up ground. Nobody's actually spotted it, we just heard it battering down the doors and barricade, so we don't know if there's one or more than one." He led Miguel and Roy to the cafeteria doors. "I don't expect this to hold long, but if it buys us a minute or two-"

Just before the three of them arrived at the doors, they burst open from within and a tall, middle-aged black man with dreadlocks burst through. He was wearing a heavy jacket over baggy clothes, all coated with some sort of gray dust that was also in his hair, and there were two holes in his chest. He reeked of decay and some other unidentified scent, the stench nauseating from this close. His eyes were bright red, and he looked at the three men hungrily. Miguel remained perfectly cool and raised his Glock, snapping off a shot before the man could reach them. The bullet struck him in the right arm, causing extensive damage. Yet he didn't even seem to notice.

Lawrence Adler did not panic. He dropped the chair and gripped his baseball bat in both hands. Before he could swing or Miguel could shoot again, the red-eyed man rushed straight at Roy like a demented defensive back, his arms about to wrap around the quarterback.
OOC,[b]Roy[/b], roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d10, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed but 1d10 if you fail. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, roll Idea. If the Idea roll succeeds, then you go temporarily insane. If it fails, or if you lose less than 5 Sanity, you may act normally. If you don't go insane, you may either roll Dodge to try to avoid it, or you may let it grab you and attack it, but you may not do both (though you may flee if you succeed at your Dodge roll). If it grabs you, it won't do any damage this round, but it will next round if it's still on you. If you attack it, make your attack and damage rolls. If you want to target the head, your attack roll is at -5.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Squidcorp
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: IC-OMAHA-Dread(Adler/Miguel/Roy)

Post by Squidcorp »

East hall

Despite the horror bearing down on him, Roy keeps his head. He instinctively swings the metal bat for the attacker's head, but the bat only whistles in the air.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The zombie with dreadlocks grabbed Roy and tackled him to the floor, wrapping its arms tight around his ribcage. It hurt a lot more than being sacked on the football field, especially since it didn't get off of him once the play was over and continued to squeeze him. He swung his bat wildly at the thing's head, but failed to connect.

Miguel put another bullet into it, severely damaging its leg. He shot it again, this time wounding it in the head. It still would not release Roy, however. Then Principal Adler took a crack at it with his Louisville Slugger, but he missed badly. Miguel tried to fire once more, but this time the gun jammed. "Oh, crap!" he cried in dismay.

The zombie's grip tightened, and Roy could feel his ribs begin to give. It also tried to bite him, but luckily it came up short.
OOC,[b]Roy[/b], you may take another swing now if you like. Any hit to the head of 4 or more damage will finish it off now. You may attempt to break its grip through brute force instead by making a Resistance Table roll of your STR against the zombie's STR of 20. This only gives you a 30% chance, however.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Squidcorp
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Squidcorp »

Roy tries to take another swing at the zombie's head, but the awkward angle and the pain in his chest cause him to miss.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-OMAHA-Dread(Adler/Miguel/Roy/Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Post by Mr. Handy »

As Alvin and Murray entered from the lobby, Kate Wheeler burst in through the open cafeteria doors. They were shocked to see Roy lying on his back being crushed to death by a tall, middle-aged black man with dreadlocks. He stank of decay, and his eyes were red with hunger and malice. Miguel Lopez stood nearby struggling with his Glock, which had jammed, but he had done some damage with it before that happened. The zombie had grievous bullet wounds in one arm, one leg, and its head, yet it was not defeated yet. Principal Adler held his Louisville Slugger in both hands and took a swing, but he missed badly.

Murray whimpered in fright, his little doggie mind shattered. Fortunately he wasn't able to process what was going on the way a human could, and he stood his ground. Kate kept her cool and raised her own Glock, putting a bullet deep in its thigh and crippling it.

The loss of its limb did not deter the zombie in the slightest. Its jaws snapped on air again as they tried to clamp down on Roy, and it brutally crushed his body, cracking mutliple ribs. The pain was so intense that the tough quarterback passed out.

With his pistol jammed, Miguel swung his fist and landed a mighty punch on the zombie's head, crushing its skull. It lay still at last. Then the fluorescent lights overhead came back on.
OOC,[b]Alvin[/b], roll Sanity for seeing the zombie. Sanity loss is 0/1d10. Since you've already lost 4 Sanity for seeing zombies recently, you can lose at most 6 more. Any loss of more than 6 counts as 6. If you lose 5 or more, you must roll Idea and fail to avoid temporary insanity. [b]Roy[/b], you're unconscious, but at least you're still alive and haven't been bitten!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvin stared at the creature in horror and his mind snapped. His mind struggled to understand what was going on. Alvin cried out in fear as he lost it.
Mr H,I rolled for what kind of insanity and how long if you care to use them as well. I know we used to do that as well last year. Here you go. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2008123/]It looks like intense phobia rooting alvin to spot for 2 rounds[/url]
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Short-term temporary insanity lasts 1d10+4 rounds, so he's frozen for 6 rounds. The good news is that he only loses 6 Sanity points instead of 9, and zombies won't cost him any more Sanity for the rest of the chapter. He has lost enough in the last hour to go indefinitely insane, however. I'll let you know the details later, when it sinks in.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Handy,Why is it that I sense you enjoy watching your characters die and if so how is it that you can let them die while I as a fellow keeper hate seeing characters die? Is that the secret? I need to make 80+ characters so plenty can die?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I don't really enjoy watching my characters die, but it does lighten the workload for me to have to manage fewer of them. Anyway, only two characters have died so far this chapter, one by his own hand and the other by making a fatal mistake and having some bad luck on top of that. There are some characters who have it coming, but there are other characters I root for and hope that they survive. Even so, I let the dice fall where they may, and anyone can die even if I want some characters to survive. Zombie Apocalypse isn't a typical game. It's designed to be a realistic end-of-the-world scenario (except for the zombies and other assorted beasties), and thus by its very nature has a high body count.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-OMAHA-Dread(Adler/Ron/Miguel/Roy/Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alvin remained frozen in place, unable to move. Murray whined, curling up on Alvin's feet and rubbing against his legs.

Principal Adler relaxed visibly now that the battle was over. "Hey, it's over man," he said to Alvin. "We're going to be all right now. Thanks for coming out to help us. You did good." Alvin's mental paralysis wore off, and he was once again able to act.

"We've still got trouble," said Kate Wheeler. "The kitchen fire exit has been knocked in, and the barricade in the cafeteria was destroyed." She held out her walkie-talkie. "I need someone to get on the radio and tell everyone the current situation. Roy's hurt bad and needs a doctor, but I'll do what I can for him, and we need reinforcements.

"I'll do it, Officer," said Miguel, taking the radio. Handling it like a pro, he pressed the button to talk and spoke into the mouthpiece: "This is Miguel Garcia. We took down the zombie that broke in, but Roy McCrumb is seriously injured and needs a doctor in the east hall downstairs. We also need reinforcements here to guard and barricade the kitchen exit. Over."

"There's more," said Kate as she moved the corpse aside and then tried to revive Roy, but to no avail. "This body belongs to a homicide victim. He was buried in the concrete foundation in the construction area outside. His name was Jacob Marley, and he's been missing for the last couple of days. He has some priors for drug trafficking."

"There are two students here he might be related to: Doug and Lisa Marley," said Adler. "They're Jamaican too."

"There were two large caliber gunshot wounds in his chest," said Miguel. "The only blood there was dried, though, so he probably died some time ago, and I expect that's what killed him. The only damage we did was to his limbs and head, so the evidence in the chest area remains intact. We need someone to conduct an autopsy. Since his body was dumped on school grounds, it's likely he was killed here too - and that means his murderer may still be around."

Ron Moore rushed in from the lobby.
Alvin Drummond,[b]Alvin[/b] recognizes the body as the man he saw murdered two nights ago. Remember that he also recognized [b]Chuck Lubachek[/b] as the killer. Also, give me a Psychology roll. The base skill is 5%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC-OMAHA-Dread(Adler/Ron/Miguel/Roy/Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Alvin gasped and said, "Kate I saw that man get murdered earlier this week and I saw who did it. It was that convience store owner, the one with the mean dog, Chuck somebody!" psych roll.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-OMAHA-Dread(Adler/Ron/Miguel/Roy/Kate/Alvin/Murray/etc)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jerry and Keith rushed in behind Ron. Roy McCrumb lay unconscious and badly injured on the floor. Beside him was the dead body of a middle-aged black man with dreadlocks. His clothes and skin had gray dust on them, his head had a bullet hole and was caved in, a couple of his limbs were crippled from gunshot wounds, and he had two holes in his chest.

"Roy!" cried the coach upon seeing his star player stricken. He got down on the floor, but he couldn't do anything for him. "Someone help him!"

Principal Adler did his best too, but his best wasn't good enough.

"I need to go secure the kitchen," said Kate. "Who's with me?"

"I'll come," said Miguel. He hurried after her into the cafeteria as he struggled to clear his jammed gun, but without success.

Sharon Kaplan entered from the lobby. "Oh, poor Roy!" she cried. "Maybe I can help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-I'm going with you-says Jerry.

OOC: is there any weapon he can take?
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin kneeled at Roy's side and tried to help heal him but was unable to do much of anything. He looked up and said, "Did anyone hear that we have a murderer in our midst. That the man who killed this man is here in the building. Does anyone care?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The only weapon visible is the baseball bat [b]Roy[/b] dropped when he got knocked out. It uses Large Club, which is a different skill than Small Club (which the nightstick uses). The base skill is only 25%.
"Of course we heard you and care," said Principal Adler. "Officer Wheeler, Jerry Law, and I will deal with the murderer, but first we need to make sure those things don't get inside the school - or we're all dead. Are you with us?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

"Let's do it!" shouts Keith. Gripping his handgun he marches over to Officer Wheeler, "I'm ready for action," he says in a slightly croaky voice.
"C'mon Jerry, you got the chainsaw, what more do you want?"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin said, "Mr. Adler, you and this whole community has been kind to me allowing me to stay around your school on warm nights and not having me arrested. Of course I will protect my home if one can say I have a home. Let me try to wake this young man up once more before I come with you though ok?" He knelt by Roy's side and again tried to heal Roy but was no help once more. "Damm it. Okay well lead on I will follow. Hopefully he will be ok."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

The chainsaw is good against one creature, not against several creatures, its' too cumbersome. But let's not waste any time more.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Murray waited by Alvin's side while he tried in vain to help Roy. Sharon Kaplan sat down beside him and began to bandage his ribs, helping him some. He awoke, coughing.

"Roy!" said Coach Ron Moore. "You did great, son! Hang in there, you're going to be all right. I hope this isn't a season-ender." He tried to help Sharon, but he couldn't do much more for his star player.
OOC,[b]Roy McCrumb[/b], you're conscious and may act again. Your bat is by your side. One of your injuries has been successfully treated with First Aid, but not the other yet. You may try this yourself if you wish.
In the cafeteria-
Principal Adler, Alvin, Jerry, and Keith entered the cafeteria, but Kate and Miguel were well ahead of them. Miguel was saying something quietly to Kate as the two of them entered the kitchen.
OOC,Anyone else in the cafeteria may roll Listen to try to overhear them. If you succeed, you may click and read the spoiler button below.
Miguel Garcia and Kate Wheeler,"I need to talk to you alone later about the murder," said [b]Miguel[/b] softly to [b]Kate[/b].
In the kitchen-
Miguel finally made some progress unjamming his pistol, but it was jammed very badly. Just as he and Kate entered, a zombie slowly staggered in from the open doorway leading outside. "We've got one in the kitchen!" she called back calmly, raising her pistol to fire. Miguel recoiled, badly shaken.
OOC,Anyone entering the kitchen must roll Sanity, with a Sanity loss of 0/1d10. You will not be able to attack this round, but you won't be a target in the first round either.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Squidcorp
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Squidcorp »

Mr. Handy,I assume Roy has only the base level of First Aid skill as listed in the CoC rules? I'll have to look up how to roll that.

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”