IC-OMAHA-Showdown(Darnell/Roy/Diana/VP/Alvin/Law/Keith/etc)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Showdown(Darnell/Roy/Diana/VP/Alvin/Law/Keith/etc)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 4:24 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
On the balcony-
"Yes, we're going to the library too," said LaTanya as she, Darnell, and Diana entered the balcony area overlooking the lobby. "I agree, we should stick togeth-" She stopped speaking, frozen in her tracks, when she saw the scene unfolding at the lockers.

Roy McCrumb was looming over Kyle Rogers, holding his baseball bat menacingly. Kyle had just opened his locker, and to everyone's surprise he pulled out a 12-gauge pump shotgun and leveled it at Roy. "I warned you!" he snarled as he squeezed the trigger. At this range he could hardly miss.
OOC,[b]Roy McCrumb[/b], you will be hit by the shotgun blast if you do not succeed at a Dodge roll. If you attempt a Dodge, you will not also be able to attack, though you may still run away in a direction of your choice. If you choose not to try to Dodge, you will have a chance to attack later if you're still capable of doing so. I need you to roll against your Dodge score on 1d100 now if you want to try to avoid the shot. If you fail this roll, or if you choose not to Dodge. I need you to roll 1d100 against your CON x 5, which is 70%. If you take half of your current HP or more in damage (which is 8 at the moment), and you probably will, you'll need to succeed at this roll to stay conscious. Once you've made your roll (or rolls) and posted the outcome here, I'll let you know what happens by posting a reply. After I post that reply you and everyone else in this thread may act, but not until this shot is resolved.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Squidcorp
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: IC-OMAHA-Showdown(Darnell/Roy/LaTanya/Kyle/Diana)

Post by Squidcorp »

Sudden terror and highly trained reflexes allow Roy to somehow duck and twist away from the deadly spray of buckshot as the sharp "BOOM" fills the open space. Spinning his bulk deftly on one foot, Roy continues his motion in the same direction, away from Kyle and to the right. With nowhere to hide from a second shot, his animal instinct pushes him straight to the low balcony wall overlooking the lobby downstairs. Only then is there time for him to cry out a befuddled, "Fuck!!" - though his ears are ringing too violently to hear his own voice, the desperate squeak of his sneakers, or the bat in his white-knuckled fist as it strikes the railing and he flips over it into empty space.
OOC,Did I do that right?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the balcony-
Roy timed his leap perfectly, and Kyle did not have a chance to adjust his aim. The buckshot passed harmlessly through the spot he had occupied a split second ago.
OOC,Yes, you did that perfectly. Jumping over the balcony was a good idea, but it may still end up getting you hurt. Now you must make a Jump roll to land in the lobby below unharmed. Everyone else may now act too. If anyone else wants to jump over the railing too, roll Jump as well. If it's not listed on your character sheet, the base skill is 25%. If you want to attack [b]Kyle[/b], you may do so once before he has a chance to fire again. You may use a weapon if you have one, or you may make an unarmed attack. Trying to punch him does 1d3 damage (plus your damage bonus) and has a 50% base skill. Kicks do 1d6+damage bonus and have a 25% base chance. Head butts do 1d4+damage bonus and have a 10% base chance. If you want to try to grab the shotgun, roll Grapple. The base chance for this is 25%. You will need one successful Grapple this round to establish contact, but that won't be enough to actually take the gun away from him. You'll both be struggling for it until one of you succeeds at a Grapple roll to grab it back. You may also run away without having to roll anything. From here you can make it to the southwest hall, the southeast hall, or the north hall in the current round. See the map in the Maps thread for more details. Technically you would each act in DEX order from highest to lowest, but you can each post when you have the chance since you're probably not going to interfere with each other.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Diana Forrester

"What the fuck is wrong with you!" Diana screamed at the top of her lungs hoping help would soon arrive, "You'll kill us all!"

With wide eyes and mouth agape she lunged at the weapon, and failed miserablely. she stumbled and fell to the floor in an embarressing heap. Despite teh situation, she could feel her cheeks turning red. She crawled back to her original position.

"LaTanya!" she said with a slightly sore voice, "you and him were in a relationship, do something!"
Squidcorp
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Squidcorp »

Ground Floor, Lobby
Time seems to slow down as Roy tumbles through the air. Through sheer luck his feet barely catch the edge of the lobby's security desk. His knees buckle, and he is sent diagonally toward the hard floor as the tall, heavy desk rocks backward. The bat flies away from his grip as he instinctively curls up for the final impact on the floor. Shaken and bruised, he pauses for a second on his back trying to clear his head and sense for injuries while the bat clatters toward the barricaded front doors.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the balcony-
"Kyle, please, if I ever meant anything to you, put down the gun!" begged LaTanya.

"I love you, LaTanya," said Kyle. "I'd never hurt you. But I can't do that, or I'm dead."
OOC,If you've already acted, you'll have to wait until the next major update before you can go again. [b]Darnell[/b] still needs to act in this thread, and there are other players in other threads I need to wait for too. There are multiple things happening in Omaha, and I need to make sure all of the threads stay in sync and advance at the same pace.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Squidcorp
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Squidcorp »

OOC,Sorry! I just thought that he'd hit the floor before any dialogue was possible.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,No, everything you posted so far is fine. That's just to remind you that you can't do anything [i]after[/i] landing in the lobby until after the next major update. [b]Diana[/b] has also acted already this round, so she'll need to wait too. [b]LaTanya[/b] and [b]Kyle[/b] talking is happening roughly at the same time as the other events (technically, she started even before [b]Roy[/b] jumped, but there is some overlap.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Darnell thought about throwing a baseball at Kyle or even being brave and charging in at Kyle to grab the shotgun from him. Both would have been good things to do if Roy had been hit or killed. However he saw that Roy was ok. He would also have run away but not if LaTanya was still here. So he kept his hands in the open and said, "Kyle, look I know that we have not always got along. But you cannot go around and kill people. We need to stick together. After this event is over and things return to normal we can sit down and talk and maybe see where we stand from there. I do promise that I will not bully you anymore so dude we can get through this. Just put down the shotgun and I will tell the teachers who are on thier way now that you were only going to help defend the school and that the shotgun went off accidently. At this point no one is hurt so please put down the shotgun dude. Ok?" Darnell saw that Kyle was not even close to being stupid enough to buy his line of crap. Inwardly he smiled as he wanted to teach this little punk some manners.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Re: IC-OMAHA-Showdown(Darnell/Roy/LaTanya/Kyle/Diana/VP/Miguel)

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the lobby-
Vice Principal Sharon Kaplan ran toward the lobby and heard Diana's shout from the balcony above. She also saw Roy McCrumb leaping down, landing on the security desk, and hitting the floor in a roll. That roll spared Roy from injury, and his bat did not stray far. He was easily able to regain his feet and retrieve the aluminum bat. Meanwhile, Miguel Garcia had raced away from the door to the security office as soon as he heard the shot. He took cover behind the security desk while drawing a 9mm Glock 17 from his inside jacket pocket. He took in the scene on the balcony in a split second, took aim at Kyle Rogers above, and fired. Sharon arrived half a second later.

On the balcony-
"Liar!" shouted Kyle Rogers, turning on Darnell and pointing his shotgun at him. Then a bullet whizzed past him. Unfortunately, it ricocheted. Thankfully, it missed the others on the balcony, striking the spot where Roy had been standing before his fateful leap.

Kyle spun to face this new threat and saw Miguel in the lobby below. Miguel reacted very fast, and Kyle couldn't bring his cumbersome weapon to bear in time. Miguel's second shot echoed as it winged him, creasing his stomach. Then Kyle fired again, peppering the security desk in the lobby with buckshot.

"Kyle, I'm pregnant!" blurted LaTanya.

"With his brat?" snarled Kyle, unmoved.

"No, it's yours!"
OOC,Everyone may now act again. [b]Miguel[/b] gets two more shots this round, but most other people get to act before or at the same time as his next shot. [b]Sharon[/b]'s action will take effect after his next shot but before his last one. Fast Talk won't convince [b]Kyle[/b] to give up (only LaTanya could possibly get him to do that of all the people present), but it could distract him or get him to flee if it succeeds. [b]Diana[/b] and [b]Darnell[/b] have the same options as last round. [b]Roy[/b] is now in the lobby, so he can flee to any of the three halls and get out of the line of fire. The front doors are barricaded, and the other doors close to the lobby are locked. If he stays, he could attack by throwing a baseball at [b]Kyle[/b]. Thrown weapons get half the normal damage bonus, so he would do 1d4+1d3 damage if he hits. You could also declare it as a knockout attempt in the Note field on Invisible Castle. If you do this and it hits, make a Resistance Table roll of the damage you caused against his remaining HP (which is 13 right now). Thus, you'd need to do at least 4 damage to have any chance, and that would only be 5%. If you do the maximum of 7 damage, you'd have a 20% chance. If this roll succeeds, [b]Kyle[/b] takes 1/3 of the damage you caused (rounded down) and is knocked unconscious. If it fails, he takes full damage as normal, so there is no harm in trying. Anyone on the balcony attacking with a bat, a ball, or fists may also make a knockout attempt the same way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Darnell paused when he heard LaTanya blut out she was pregnant, "What the fuck LaTanya? Is that why you won't have sex with me?" In his anger he ran up to Kyle and swung his bat at Kyle. He was so angry that he not only missed but the bat sailed out of his hands to the lobby below hitting the desk on its way down. "All I ever wanted from you LaTanya is your love. Yet you fuck this white boy, why cause he is richer then I am? Babe once i get into the NFL there will be no stopping how high I fly and climb. I will one day be in the Hall of Fame and you could have been there too." He was resigned to his fate knowing that he was close enough to get blown away.
Mr. Handy,Did i do this right this time? He got a 100 on his swing so I figured the bat flew out of his hands. Unless it hit him and broke maybe which would cause some damage right?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,When you get a critical failure, I determine what happens. There's no way you're going to hurt [b]Kyle[/b] when rolling a 100. You might hurt yourself, or someone else up there with you, and you will certainly lose your grip on the bat. You also inadvertently get into the line of fire from the lobby, so [b]Miguel[/b] doesn't get his shots. [b]Roy[/b] can still throw a baseball at him by lobbing it in an arc, but if he misses he'll need to roll Luck to avoid hitting you by mistake. Give me a Luck roll yourself now so I can see exactly how bad this will turn out.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Mr Handy,Here is my luck roll. Sorry i screwed up. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1958502/]As you can see I am not lucky today.[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You don't need to apologize to me. I [i]want[/i] things to go horribly wrong, remember? ;) [b]Darnell[/b] will also be stunned next round. He'll be able to parry or dodge, but he cannot move, talk, attack, or otherwise act.
On the balcony-
Darnell swung his bat and whiffed badly, spinning around. LaTanya gasped in shock as the wooden bat connected hard with her right leg. The bat then flew out of his hands and sailed over the railing, landing with a clatter in the lobby below. Darnell was equally stunned. Had he perhaps subconsciously wanted to hit her?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Mr handy,O come On! I hit my girlfriend because she is pregers with someone's elses kid?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,No, you hit her because you rolled 100 on your attack roll [b]and[/b] failed your Luck roll. Getting a 100 results in the worst possible outcome, especially when compounded by that failed Luck roll. Just be glad the damage wasn't worse. If you'd critically failed the Luck roll too, you might even have killed her!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Mr Handy,So now that I have managed to piss off Kyle and LaTanya I can expect 1) LaTanya to not talk to me ever again and 2) what is left of my short life to be ended by Kyle shooting me because I just shot the mother of his child? You better let me play this zombie! :P
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You didn't shoot her, you hit her with a baseball bat. ;) And don't assume you know what's going to happen. You keep thinking your characters are going to die. What makes you think I'll let you off that easy? :twisted:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Squidcorp
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Squidcorp »

On his feet, Roy knows that he should run for cover in one of the halls before him. But he is full of rage and adrenaline. The slugger feels good and solid in his grip. Then he sees his best friend Darnell lose it and attack Kyle with miserable results. It looks like a suicidal move, and he and LaTanya are wide open targets. But Kyle is focused on them now, and not Roy. Without another thought, Roy shakes the bat a couple of times to test the weight in his deadly throwing arm, and hurls it whistling straight at Kyle's head, hoping at least to knock him out. Unfortunately the bat strikes the balcony wall and ends up hitting Kyle in the chest. At least the bat hits him very hard.
Mr Handy,OK, here's hoping I did it right this time.
Last edited by Squidcorp on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, that's right. 3 damage has a 0% chance of knocking him out. You do need to roll 1d20 for a random hit location on the missile weapons table, as it won't necessarily hit him on the head. You also rolled damage presuming you were throwing a baseball. The bat would do 1d8+1d3 damage when thrown. You got a 1 for your 1d3 roll, but you can roll 1d8 and replace the 1d4 with it. In this case, you may end up doing more damage.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”