IC-SWORD-Captive Hearts(Captives)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: IC-SWORD-Captive Hearts(Captives)

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel feverishly pushed herself against the cell door in an attempt to hear better. If she heard footsteps approaching, she would need to act.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
Alicia reached out with one arm this time and grabbed the edge of the vent shaft. Before she could lose her grip, she reached up with her other arm and held on tight, dangling from the opening. She managed to haul herself inside. The vent was narrow, and it only went in one direction - toward the cell block corridor. She tried to crawl down it, but it was just a little too tight for her and she got stuck. She took another deep breath and managed to wriggle through. The vent intersected a longer vent running parallel to and above the hall. Alicia continued straight ahead until she was over her friend Raquel's cell, looking down into it through its own grating.

As Raquel listened at her cell door, she heard Jeff shout "Gotcha!" in the distance. Then she heard Alicia's voice from above, hissing "Psst! Raquel!" Looking up, Raquel saw her best friend's face in the grating. She was smiling for the first time since they'd been abducted. She whispered some more in Spanish.
Raquel Orozco,"Hang on, [b]Raquel[/b]," [b]Alicia[/b] said. "I'll have the grating open soon, and then I'll help you climb up."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel jumped up and was about to yell when she saw Alicia. She felt relief wash over herself and whispered,

"You scared me. I thought that you'ld been caught."

Now she smiled. She could not help herself. In just a few moments they would be free! She was so happy. Raquel walked over to the opposite wall but tried to keep listening. She was prepared to catch the grating should it fall.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
Alicia grasped the grating with both hands. Now that she was above it, it was easier for her to force it open. She put her shoulder into it and easily dislodged it, but not without noise. Then she rotated it diagonally to pull it through the opening and placed it down inside the shaft. She reached through with her arms and beckoned Raquel with her finger.

"Now I heard a noise from Raquel's cell!" called Deadeye from the guard room. His footsteps began to get closer.

"Hurry!" whispered Alicia.
OOC,[b]Raquel[/b], you may attempt to climb up to the hole in the ceiling by walking yourself up the wall if you make a Climb roll. The base skill is 40%. If you succeed, no further rolls are necessary to get inside the shaft now that [b]Alicia[/b] has opened the grating. Failure will not cause injury; it will just cost you a round as you fail to make progress. A critical failure will result in falling from high up and getting hurt unless you succeed at a Jump roll - the base skill for that is 25%.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel swore. She had been hoping that the grating could be removed without alerting the skinheads. She had hoped to escape without arousing suspicion. She hoped she was not screwed.

She tried to walk up the wall as fast as possible. She might have been able to make it had she not been panicking. She slipped halfway up the wall and fell in a heap on the floor. Her heart pounded feverishly in her chest. She needed time. She needed time!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
Raquel could feel the panic rising in her chest as the skinhead's footsteps entered the hall outside her cell and stopped right at her door. She could hear the jangling of keys. Alicia held her breath.

"Raquel, what's going on in there?" asked Deadeye.
OOC,[b]Raquel[/b], if you want to tell him anything in response, roll Fast Talk to see if he believes you. You may make another Climb attempt now, and you may do both.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

OOC,Does he speak Spanish?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Probably not. If you want him to understand what you're saying, you should speak English. If you [i]don't[/i] want him to understand, Spanish is your best bet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel could have sworn that time stopped. She desperately tried to think of something to say. She was so terrified that she could not remember a single English phrase.

She silently made shooing motions to her friend in an attempt to tell her to get out of sight until the skinhead left. If anyone got caugth it would be her. Things would go very very badly if she was caught. Things like dying. yes, it was best to avoid that. She tried to smile.

In the most ear pleasing voice she could manage she spoke through the door, "Estoy muy bien. Funcioné en la puerta e hizo un sonido. Soy muy torpe."

She gave a fake high pitched giggle in an attempt to convice him further.

"Estoy bien."
OOC,I apologize, I am awful when it comes to writing in Spanish myself so I used babelfish.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Don't worry about it. You don't normally need to roll against your English skill in order to communicate, as long as you keep it simple.
In the cell block-
Alicia crawled backwards through the vent shaft, out of sight.

"Whatever," said Deadeye. "Alicia, darlin', how you doin'?" He paused for a repsonse. "Alicia?"

Alicia trembled in the vent, knowing that she had to get back to the opening leading to her cell before she could reply to keep him from getting suspicious. She backed around the corner to her left, then crawled around the corner to her right and forward as quickly as she could to get back there. She could hear him inserting the key in the lock, and she barely got there in time. Sticking her head through the hole in the vent shaft, she called "No hablo ingles!"

Deadeye pulled his key out of the lock and laughed. "Yeah, that's right. Lara, sweetheart, what's cookin'?" The only answer he got was a muffled sob from her cell. "Well, I'm gonna get a bite to eat. See you girls later." He walked away, back into the guard room.

Alicia breathed a sigh of relief and pulled herself back into the vent shaft.
OOC,[b]Raquel[/b], you may make another Climb roll now if you wish.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel breathed a sigh of relief and returned to attempting to climb the wall as silently as possible. Her heart was still beating hard in her chest and she fell to the floor only a quarter of the way up the wall. She needed to concentrate.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
Deadeye's footsteps retreated into the distance and soon could no longer be heard. Alicia crawled back to the long vent shaft running atop the cell block hallway. She hissed something in Spanish, her voice carrying through the vent and into Raquel's cell.
Alicia Vargas and Raquel Orozco,"I'm going to go open [b]Lara[/b]'s grate," whispered [b]Alicia[/b]. "I'll be back for you, [b]Raquel[/b]. Keep trying to climb."
Alicia wriggled through the long shaft, turning aside into the branching shaft that went over Lara's cell. She looked through the grating and saw Lara sitting huddled on her mattress, weeping. "Lara," she whispered. "I'm going to get you out of here."

Lara looked up in surprise. "You speak English?" she asked.
OOC,[b]Raquel[/b], you may make another Climb roll.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel tried to focus now. If she could just concentrate it would be very simple. The noise around her seemed to slip away. Every distraction needed to be meaningless. She managed to climb into the vent with ease.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
Alicia tried to force open the grate in the ceiling of Lara's cell, but it was stuck due to decades of rust. "Yes, I speak English," she whispered back. "Give me a minute and I'll have this open. Then you can climb up here."

"How?" asked Lara, bewildered.

"Lie across the width of your cell and press your hands and feet to the walls tightly. Then walk up. I'll help you once I get this thing open."

Raquel hauled herself into the vent shaft above her own cell. Its confines were very narrow, and her size was proving to be a disadvantage as she tried to crawl through it to the longer shaft running above the corridor outside the cell block.
OOC,[b]Raquel[/b], roll SIZ x 5 to squeeze through the vent shaft. You want to fail this roll, or you will get stuck. If you get stuck, roll DEX x 3 to try to free yourself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

It was not long before Raquel realized that the vents were much too small. She had managed to push herself some of the way through, but now she lay stuck in the vent. She tried several times to free herself, and met each with failure. It was good she did not have claustrophobia.

She hoped that Alicia would check on her soon. She needed help.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
"I don't know if I can do it," said Lara.

"I didn't think I could either, but I managed it," said Alicia. "And I had to stay motionless up there for a few minutes while the guards went through. You'll be able to get out right away, and I'll help you up. I just need to get this damn grille open first."

"I will try." Lara spread herself out across her cell and tried to walk herself up the walls, but she kept sliding back down. "It's no good, I can't do it."

"Keep trying." Alicia grunted and strained, and this time she managed to force it open. She placed the vent cover on the floor of the shaft, out of the way.

Raquel almost managed to fit through the vent, but she was just a little too tall and couldn't get around the corner. With a little effort, she could probably free herself.
OOC,[b]Raquel[/b], roll DEX x 3 again to get unstuck.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel squirmed around in the vent. She tried several times to free herself before finally succeeding.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cell block-
Lara tried one more time to scale the wall, and this time she made it to the top. With Alicia's help, she hauled herself into the vent shaft. "I did it!" she said triumphantly. "My name should be Lara Croft."

"Follow me," said Alicia. "I'll go see how Raquel is doing." She crawled backwards until she reached the main shaft running above the hallway. She gave Raquel a smile when she saw her. "Lara just got out of her cell. Now what do we do?"

"We need guns," said Lara from further back in the shaft as she tried to squeeze through. "First we find guns, then we kill those bastards."

"I want them dead too, but we've got to get out of here. We can't leave the other girls behind, though. I know Katarina went that way with Sally and the men." She pointed back down the shaft, in the direction of the rear of the place. "But Zoe and Mei Ling went the other way, toward the exit. They never came back, and we heard the shooting earlier...I'm worried about them. Raquel, which way should we go?"

The vent shaft had another grating set into the floor, this one above the corridor, which appeared empty from up here. The shaft itself ran parallel to the hall.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pentadragon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Pentadragon »

Raquel considered the options. They could go after Katrina and Sally, however they were probably surrounded by the skinheads. If they made too much noise in the vents, they were sure to hear and then, well, things would end very badly for everyone involved. If they pursued Zoe and Mei Ling they may have less men to worry about. While none of the prisoners knew how many guards there were, most of them should have gone with Katarina and Sally right? The problem with that way was the gunshots. Nothing increases paranoia like a few gunshots.

Raquel gulped and looked at the two others. She smiled weakly at them before speaking in Spanish to Sally.

"We need to be quiet. If we are not careful we will be caught." she said, "I think we should go after Mei Ling and Zoe. It seems like a long enough time has passed since, the gunshot so maybe there will be few people there. Also, I am scared for Mei Ling and Zoe. If they are dead..."

She shook her head. She hated them. She hated them all. If Raquel got the opportunity she would burn this place to the ground before she left.

"We have to find out what happened to them and do it silently. Later, we will go after Sally and Katarina."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the ventilation ducts-
"Yes, you're right," whispered Alicia. "We have to find Zoe and Mei Ling first."

Lara tried to squeeze her way through the shaft, but it was just too narrow. She tried to wriggle loose, but couldn't make much headway. "You two go ahead," she said softly. "Every second might count. I'll catch up with you."

Raquel led the way through the duct, Alicia following behind her. It was dark and claustrophobic in here, but some light filtered in through the occasional grating in the floor of the shaft. Soon the two friends reached an intersection. The shaft continued straight ahead toward the exit, but it also branched off to the left. Looking through a grating, they could see the guard room oustide the cell block beneath them. It appeared to be deserted. The left branch of the duct had to lead to the movie studio.
OOC,[b]Raquel[/b], roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”