IC-JUNO-Trouble In Store(Everyone)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-JUNO-Trouble In Store(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 6:58 PM Mountain Time - SaveMart Convenience Store, 2 miles south of Ogallala, Nebraska
Outside the store-
Emily Montose made a quick U-turn and steered her pickup truck back to the turnoff and onto the parking lot. There were a couple of gas pumps, a small garage, and a SaveMart convenience store there. The store was directly opposite the road, its wide glass storefront facing west. The pumps were between it and the road, and the garage was on the south side of the lot. A few other vehicles were parked there: an old gray Ford F-150 pickup truck, a white Chevy Nova, a blue Toyota Camry, and, looking rather out of place, a silver Lincoln town car. A tall Hispanic man, Victor Gonzalez, had just emerged from the store's front door, revolver in hand. On the roof were an old Asian man and a huge, young, black man. Through the store's windows a man and two women were visible.

Lauren Montrose, the young lady in the pickup's middle seat, looked around with hope. "People!" she said. "Living people!" She glanced at her mother on her left and at Kathryn McCoy, the blonde woman on her right. In the bed of the pickup was Kyle Perkins, a young man with blond hair who was actually a bit bigger than Marcus. He carried an M-4 carbine, but the barrel was lowered. "Hey, mister!" he said to Victor, a smile on his face.

Behind them, to the west, the sun continued its descent. It was now an orange semicircle on the horizon.

On the roof-
Ho Nguyen stood up and faced the new arrivals. "Hello!" he called down to them. "How I can help you?" Then he turned to Marcus. "Good idea about the paint. There some in the storeroom in back of store. Problem is, we can't see out of painted windows easily. Maybe leave a few spots unpainted to look out."

In the store-
Rich watched the three women and one man arrive in the parking lot from his position at the window. Cynthia stood at his side, breathing a sigh of relief. "It's so good to see someone else," she said. "I was worried we might be the last people on earth who hadn't gone crazy."

"Hah!" snorted Helen. "What makes you think we haven't gone crazy?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
beertender
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: IC-JUNO-Trouble In Store(Everyone)

Post by beertender »

***Rich noticed the time***

"its getting later, we really need to do something to secure this place up"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Victor nodded and said, "Hello. Who are you all?" He looked up and shouted to Ho, "Sir can they come inside for now? They may be able to help us defend the place for the night!"
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Marcus climbed down the ladder to the ground and headed inside. As the newcomers entered, Marcus nodded with a friendly smile, "Good to see some more uninfected. It gives us hope that things aren't as bad as they seem."

When Ho comes in, Marcus asks him to reconsider the idea about the access to the roof from inside. If necessary, Marcus would take the ladder and an ax (if available) and hack his way through to the roof. When anyone asks about the idea, he explains, "The infected are stupid. If they manage to get in here, we could climb to the roof and pull up the ladder. We might be stuck up there, but at least we won't be lunch."
edited,removed the multiple actions to slow things down. :P
Last edited by ImpInTraining on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Slow down there! Remember that you can only do so much between major updates. You have enough time to climb down the ladder into the parking lot this turn and talk to people there, but you'll have to wait before you can go inside the store, let alone get to the storeroom, gather what you need, and return.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Yes...but hold it just a minute! Let´s stay together. They outnumber us and we don´t know their intentions yet." The situation with infected people seemed to bring out the worst in human nature. Karhryn McCoy waited for Emily Montrose to do the introductions. "Let´s stay friendly. Together we stand a better chance of sitting out a siege and we do need to get more gas." Kat, evaluated the balance of guns and raised her palms in a saluting gesture to the Hispanic looking man in the store´s entryway. She kept the 9mm gun in her lap, within reach.
Last edited by Dave Syrinx on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

Emily stopped the pick up truck, put it in part, and exited the vehicle.
"Thank god!" she said. "It's great to see there are more suvivors. My name is Emily and this is my daughter, Lauren. In the passenger seat is Kat, and that is Kyle in the back." She walked around to the other survivors and extended her hand. "Nice to meet you all."

"You know, we should save the instroductions for later. It's getting late and we could sure use a safe place to crash tonight."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

The big black guy shook everyone's hand, responding, "Marcus..." so they at least knew what to call him. "'Scuse me, I gotta get some paint for the windows before it gets dark."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Nice to meet you, Marcus. How can we help?"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Hi I am Victor. My friends and I are crashing here for the night. We could use the help. Come inside?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The pickup truck started with a full tank, and it still has enough fuel to reach its intended destination. It couldn't hurt to have more, of course.
On the roof-
"I Ho Nguyen," the old man on the roof called down to the new arrivals. "This my store, and you welcome to stay here. But there are rules. First rule, no stealing. You want anything, you trade for it. Second rule, everyone helps out to defend store. You, young man." He pointed a crooked finger at Kyle. "You have rifle. Maybe you come up on roof and help me shoot? You good with that rifle? What can rest of you do? Marcus, maybe we do make hole in roof. Sledgehammer in storeroom too. But if we make hole, it should be in back room. I think about it while you paint."

Outside the store-
"I'm pretty good, mister," said Kyle loudly, climbing out of the back of the truck. "Until today I've mostly been shooting rabbits and varmints, but I never had a rifle like this before. I gave my .22 to my friend Lauren. I'm strong as an ox, and I can also fix stuff...sometimes."

"Uh, I'm not such a good shot," said Lauren nervously as she stepped out and joined her mother. "I don't know how much help I'll be."

Kyle smiled at Marcus, pleased to meet someone his own age. "Nice to meet you, Marcus. Do you work here too?"

The sun sank further, and was now just a small red sliver.
OOC,Anyone currently outside the store can enter the main part of the store this round, but it will take [b]Marcus[/b] longer than that to reach the back rooms. Someone can climb the ladder to the roof, but only one person can use it per round. [b]Marcus[/b], if you want to try to convince [b]Ho[/b] to agree to making a hole in the roof, roll Persuade. The base skill level is 15%. You've been talking to him long enough that you can try this, and you may still enter the store this round after you finish speaking to him.
In the store-
"Well, they look friendly enough," said Cynthia.

"We'll see," said Helen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

McCoy stepped out of the car and hurried over to Marcus and inside the store. The kevlar vest and helmet made her feel reasonably comfortable in the midst of all strangers. She held the Beretta in her right hand and the shotgun slung over her left shoulder by a string of rope from the truck. Her two belts held the crowbar and extra ammo clips. "Hi Marcus, Vic!" She lifted her hand in a salute to Ho up top.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Vic nodded back and holsting his pistol in his waistband again he walked back into the store. He walked up to Helen and putting down $5 in quarters said, "Can i get the snickers bar and a pack of Camels?"
Mr Handy,is the snickers bar a huge king size bar or is it just Ho being a tightwad and charging $1.25 for one? In the midwest one costs like 75 cents if that!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,He's actually charging $1.49 for it. Normal prices do not apply during a zombie apocalypse! You can expect that the price of everything has at least doubled, and you're lucky he's accepting cash at all.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

In regards to the hole in the ceiling, Marcus looked up at Ho and said, "Whatever you say... you the boss. If you don't want easy access to the roof without having to risk your ass every time you leave the store, that's your decision." Marcus nodded to Kyle, "Ah-yup. I work here, although its beginning to seem like a dead-end job." He shot a quick glance up to Ho after saying that, then started in and looked over his shoulder toward Emily, "Yeah, sure. I'll grab some extra paint brushes... try to find some index cards and tape. We'll tape them up to the windows and use those for peek-holes after we've painted over them."

Persuade (15%) (1d100=73)
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"I think making a hole in the roof sounds like a great idea, personally. Mr. Ho, may me, my daughter and our friends stay the night on the roof tonight?"
Turning to Lauren, "Honey, why don't you grab some supplies from the back. Food, water, and any warm clothes we have. We'll take them up to the roof so we are safe tonight."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the store-
"Sure, Mom," said Lauren. She started gathering supplies from the truck.

"Can I help, Lauren?" said Kyle, excitedly bounding up to her.

"Um, okay. Thanks!"

Kyle strapped one of the five-gallon containers of water to his back while Lauren collected some food and blankets.

"Yes, you can stay on roof!" Ho called from up above. "Good idea. As for hole...I still thinking about it."

Lauren scaled the ladder first, while Kyle waited his turn below.

The sun finally dipped below the horizon. It was still possible to see without difficulty, but it wouldn't stay that way for long.
OOC,[b]Emily[/b], roll Persuade if you want to try to convince [b]Ho[/b] to make a hole in the roof.
On the roof-
Lauren easily reached the top of the ladder and clambered onto the roof. "Hi," she said to Ho Nguyen.

"Where you come from?" he asked. "Ogallala?"

"No, I'm from Chicago - but we weren't there when this started. We were traveling around the Midwest in an RV."

In the store-
Kathryn and Marcus entered the store, where Richard, Helen, and Cynthia were standing near the window. Helen looked the gorgeous blonde up and down. The military-grade Kevlar vest and helmet contrasted sharply with her black miniskirt. "Hiya, hon," she said to Kathryn. "I'm Helen Stafford, and I work in this fine establishment." She turned back to Victor. "That's not enough. It's ten bucks for a pack of cigs, and $1.49 for the Snickers."

"I'm Cynthia," said the young woman standing nearby.

Marcus proceeded down one of the aisles toward the back. The shop's main area was ninety feet across, and the front was composed of plate glass. The entrance was a set of glass double doors in the center. The ten aisles stretched back sixty feet. Between each pair of aisles were two long, double-sided rows of shelves stocked with all the goods one might find in a convenience store. There were snack foods, bottles of soda and water, books, magazines, over the counter medications (the SaveMart did not have its own pharmacy), diapers, beauty products, DVDs, school supplies, and plenty of other stuff. At the counter were the impulse buying items, including the gum that Helen was sampling. Behind the counter were boxes and boxes of cigarettes, along with a "We Card" sign stating that you had to be 18 to buy them. At the very back of the store, in the center of the rear wall, was a door labeled "Employees Only."
OOC,[b]Marcus[/b], you can go through the door at the back and reach the storeroom this turn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor sighed and grabbed his money back except for the $1.49. He snarled a curse word under his breath at Helen in Spanish and then said to Marcus, "Dude, can I help you out?"
beertender
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by beertender »

***Richard scratched his head as he watched the sun set. A slight look of worry on his face***

"I really think we need to do something about this window."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Marcus ducked through the doors marked "Employees Only" and looked around for some paint and paint brushes. He also kept his eyes open for a little AM/FM radio he saw back there a while back... they usually listened to music while cleaning up. It would be handy to be able to hear what the government was doing about all of this.

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”