IC-JUNO-Trouble In Store(Everyone)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Re: IC-JUNO-Trouble In Store(Everyone)

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: What is the distance to these zombies? Would Emily have distance penalties?
"Shit! Three more coming!" Emily yelled.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,They're about thirty yards away, so there's no penalty if you use precision aim. Unfortunately, I believe [b]Emily[/b] only has the base chance to hit with a Handgun, which is 20% (15% when aiming at the head). You cannot shoot while moving or while trying to talk [b]Hector[/b] down. The zombies ran into the lot out of the darkness to the north, and they're fast movers. Your visibility is limited to 30 yards from the store unless you do exceptionally well on a Spot Hidden roll. [b]Marcus[/b], if you want to be able to get down fast enough to do that this round, you'll need to roll Jump. Failing that roll will result in injury, and it will also end your turn. You can climb down normally this round without having to roll anything, but that will be your action for this round.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

jumping,What if I try to jump in such a way that I use one of the suckers to absorb my fall and push him in their direction at the same time? Not really covered in the rules, I'm sure. I'm not going to risk it all on a successful jump roll if that means I'll be at the zombies' mercy during their attack should I fail.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You'd still need a successful Jump roll to avoid injuring yourself. In order to push the guy while landing on him, you'd have to make an attack roll (we'll call it Grapple in this case, which has a 25% base chance). This is independent of your Jump roll's success, but you may get hurt in the process. Just pick which guy ([b]Bruno[/b] or [b]Harvey[/b]).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Now, it´s my turn..." Kat manages a smile at Alfredo. She squeezes. twice, rapidly, aiming for the head The slugs hit home perfectly... "I´ll leave the other to you. Had to focus on one target" Kat finds this target practice exhilarating and it makes her feel filled with purpose. Show the bastards Kathryn McCoy isn´t a toy to toss around.
Handy:
Spoiler:
Oops, I went overboard reading the castle figures - Only one shot impaled. Sorry, discard the last d10. It will be sufficient damage, though :shock: .
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Victor raised his weapon and aimed it at a zombie. He fired and the shots went wild.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by ryansommer »

Seeing him paralized, Emily moved to Hector and attempted to talk him out of his stasis. Whether it was the presence of a serial killer on the roof or that she was starting lose hope, she could not focus enough to snap him out of it.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Well I'd probably make the jump, but I don't have any points in Grapple, and risking something like this, I wouldn't want to leave it to a lously 25% chance or whatever it is.
Marcus shouts down to the two men, "Your loss, ladder's comin' up!" He starts hauling the ladder to the roof.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Kathryn[/b] did more than enough damage to kill the zombie with the first shot, so she saves a bullet - and makes a bigger impression. [b]Hector[/b] isn't paralyzed like the two guys at the bottom of the ladder - he's running in terror.
On the roof-
Kathryn took down one of the zombies with a single bullet to the forehead, sending it sprawling onto its back and leaking blood. Alfredo aimed at another one, but his shot went wide. He grinned at Kathryn, obviously impressed. "Magnificent!" he said. "Where did you learn to shoot like that?"

Duncan fired at a zombie's head with his .38 revolver, but his first bullet missed.

Lauren took a shot with her .22 rifle, but she missed narrowly. Kyle also missed with his M-4.

"I hope you join them, bastard!" Joey spat back at Richard. He whipped around and took a shot at a zombie, but the shot missed badly and the pistol slipped from his hand, clattering onto the roof.

Ho Nguyen fired at one of the zombies' heads, but the shot whizzed right past its ear.

The ghoul that Richard had wounded was slowed down and didn't quite reach the two men behind the store, but the other one rushed at Bruno. The big man didn't even try to defend himself as the foul thing tackled him to the asphalt and clamped its teeth on his leg, fracturing it. As the pair fell, they knocked the ladder over. Marcus felt his fingers brush the ladder as it slipped away, only barely eluding his grasp. Harvey just stood there, stunned. Bruno remained conscious, but only just.

Hector continued to flee, soon reaching the front of the roof. "They're gonna get us, man!" he cried to Victor, his eyes wide with fear.

Duncan took another shot at the zombie on Bruno, and this one hit because it was much closer now. It didn't do much damage, however.
OOC,Okay, here's the deal. The zombie that [b]Richard[/b] wounded is 10 yards from the back of the store, and it will arrive in the coming round if it isn't killed. Anyone may shoot at it, and any hit of 2 or more damage to the head will kill it. The other zombie is on [b]Bruno[/b], so only those at the rear of the store may shoot at it. This means [b]Marcus[/b], [b]Cynthia[/b], and [b]Helen[/b] in terms of PCs. Anyone currently in the middle of the roof may move to the rear of the roof this round, but may not also shoot. Anyone at the front of the roof may move to the middle, also without shooting. There is no time to aim at the head when shooting at the zombie attacking [b]Bruno[/b] if you want to fire before it attacks him again, which means a random hit location on 1d20 for each bullet that hits. However, you are at point blank range and you do not have to worry about that -5 penalty for aiming at the head. It will take 7 more damage to the head (or 47 in general) to finish it off. If you don't care about [b]Bruno[/b], any shots aimed at the zombie's head will take effect after it attacks him, and will still have that -5 penalty (applied after doubling your skill). For each bullet that misses, roll Luck. Failure means [b]Bruno[/b] is hit instead - even if that's fine with you. There may be consequences for shooting [b]Bruno[/b]. With the ladder fallen, it will be harder to get down to the parking lot (if you want to). You may slide down the zipline by making a DEX x 5 roll if you're already at the rear of the roof, and a Jump roll if that fails to avoid possible minor injury. You can also jump down by rolling Jump, taking 1d6 damage if that fails. Or you could try to climb down onto the dumpster out back, which will require a Climb roll. If that fails, you'll have to roll Jump, and if that fails you'll take 1d6 damage. Climbing will take more time than simply jumping. Sorry, [b]Marcus[/b], but that zombie was simply faster than you. It has a DEX of 20, so it got to move first. I did give you a chance to grab the ladder before it fell anyway, but the dice can be fickle.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Richard takes a shot at Joey, hitting him but not quite killing him. Too bad you won't live to see it, you bastard.
Mr. Handy,Can I fast talk my way out of this?
Last edited by kouchpotato on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,In a word - no. :lol: Now we're going to have to go through this combat round in descending DEX order to resolve everything. Everyone with a ready gun will fire in the first half of the round. The good news is that [b]Richard[/b] is at point blank range for shooting [b]Joey[/b] because they're both in the middle of the roof. The bad news is that [b]Joey[/b] is at point blank range for shooting [b]Richard[/b] if he lives long enough to pick up his gun again. That will be in the second half of the round. He has DEX 12, so he gets to go before you get your second shot (which, by the way, is your sixth and final bullet). If you do get that shot, you'll hit, but it only does [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2177792/]2 damage[/url]. That's the damage roll you made on Invisible Castle right after rolling your second attack roll.
On the roof-
The first shot struck Joey in the left thigh, but it wasn't enough to drop him. Alfredo reacted instinctively, shooting Richard in the right leg and causing heavy bleeding.

Duncan turned to see the source of the gunfire behind him fairly quickly.
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], you've taken 9 damage and are down to 4 HP. Roll CON x 5 to stay conscious. If you do stay awake, you'll also need a DEX x 5 roll to avoid falling down after taking such a big hit to the leg. Falling won't hurt you any further, and you'll still get your second shot if you live that long. [b]Cynthia[/b], you may go ahead and take a shot at a target of your choice now if you wish, since you're at DEX 15. Those of you at DEX 14 ([b]Kathryn[/b] and [b]Victor[/b]), roll 1d100 for initiative. If you get less than 43, you may also fire one shot if you choose. If not, you'll have to wait for [b]Duncan[/b], who also has DEX 14 and rolled a 43. If you get exactly 43, reroll the 1d100 and I'll reroll for him. If your DEX is 13 or less, you'll have to wait. If you're going to aim at someone's head (or other body part), you'll go at 1/2 DEX instead. This means your target will probably get to fire first. I'd advise you to just roll 1d20 for a random location. When shooting at humans, raw damage is good enough, and speed is more important since humans can shoot back. You only get the point blank bonus if your target is currently at the same part of the roof you're at. [b]Hector[/b] and [b]Alfredo[/b] are at the front, [b]Joey[/b] is in the middle, and [b]Duncan[/b] is at the back.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

Mr. Handy,I only copied half the url of that damage roll by accident and than closed the tab. =(
Richard grunts as the bullet slams into him but manages to stay conscious and standing.

Cynthia,, Victor, someone! Please, shoot the bastards before they kill us all.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat replies to Alfredo, "Just raw talent, used to shooting pictures. Aim and shoot - that´s all there is..." Seeing the events evolve before her, she quickly makes her move, with acute precission, Kat bring her pistol at Alfredo´s head. Keeping it steady. "This is not cool, man. I see you´re acting on instinct. Now, drop the rifle and get some gauss to help Joey out. Stop the bleeding and let´s concentrate on the dead heads down on the ground." Her voice didn´t falter.

Mr Handy:
Spoiler:
Should the fast talk tactics fail, she will shoot at Alfredo. Two shots at his body. at the frame Low impact in the large hit man´s right leg. (She adjusts the shot to do non-lethal damage ;) .) Another shot pending.
Edit: Mr Handy:
Spoiler:
Should the new friend, do as she suggests, she´ll shoot the unaimed shot at a target below. Preferably the wounded zombie. If Kat is still alive at the later part of this turn she´ll shoot her second round.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,I'm just glad I didn't decide to climb down the ladder. That could have gotten ugly. What do I need to roll to figure out the new guys are shooting us up around here? If I see Duncan level his weapon at someone, I want to nail him with my sledge hammer, maybe hit him toward the edge of the roof.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Handy,See this is not what I wanted when I talked earlier. I was trying to spook the group into leaving or getting more people to back me up. Now Richard started a fight and I have been here before (shades of the firefight in Chapter 2) so at this point, unless I am shot at I do not want to shoot. What I want to do is try to grapple Hector and keep him from running off the roof. Can I do that?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
At almost the same instant that Kathryn pointed her pistol at Alfredo, Duncan turned his on Richard and shot him. The bullet blew his brains out, and he fell lifeless to the roof. The hardened killer felt no remorse.
OOC,[b]Richard[/b]: Nice rolling! You may wish you'd been knocked out instead, however. If you ever lose a roll again, you can find it by either clicking on the Link to Character hyperlink on Invisible Castle (which is how I found it), or you can use the Search function. You can search on your character's name, or even just bring up the most recent rolls. You are free to choose one or more new characters to replace [b]Richard[/b], and you'll also be able to pick one or more up for Chapter 5, which should start in September. I'm sorry you died so fast, but shooting [b]Joey[/b] was really not the best move. Combat is realistically deadly in this game, and this is a hard and painful lesson to learn, but at least you can take comfort in the fact that you won't be rising up as a zombie. [b]Kathryn[/b]: Yes, the Fast Talk is working and [b]Alfredo[/b] will comply, but it's going to take him a moment to be able to react. He's already acted this turn, and all of this is happening within a fraction of a second. By the time you finish talking, the only zombie you can see will be behind the store and out of your line of sight. Really, the Fast Talk doesn't happen until the second half of the round, and we're still early in the first half. [b]Marcus[/b]: Good call on not going down there - probably. Then again, depending on what happens up on the roof, you might be safer down there. :twisted: If you want to attack [b]Duncan[/b] with your hammer, that will have to wait until your turn in the second half of the round. He'll get his first shot off in the first half of the round, right now. He'll also get his second shot before you can swing at him, as he has DEX 14 and you have DEX 13. You don't need to roll anything to notice the gunshots, and you can see the situation when you turn and look well enough to deduce what happened. [b]Joey[/b]'s gun is lying on the roof, and [b]Richard[/b] has just shot him in the back of the leg from close range. [b]Alfredo[/b] has shot [b]Richard[/b] in the back of [i]his[/i] leg. [b]Kathryn[/b] is pointing her gun at [b]Alfredo[/b], but she hasn't fired. [b]Victor[/b]: Yes, you've learned your lessons well. You may not have wanted this, but you can't control [b]Richard[/b]. You may try to Grapple [b]Hector[/b], but you'll need to wait for the second half of the round to do it. Only shooting happens in the first half of the round. [b]Cynthia[/b]: So far you've done nothing, but you still have the option of firing your shotgun any time you're ready, if that's what you wish to do. Let's finish up the first half of the round. Everyone with a ready firearm in his or her hands who has not already done so may fire once now (right now the only active PC this applies to is [b]Emily[/b], but [b]Cynthia[/b] and [b]Helen[/b] may act too if they return). If you're not shooting at anything, just let me know by posting here, but don't take whatever other action you're planning just yet. Once everyone has posted, I'll start off the second half of the round.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

OOC,Well, that sucks. In hindsight, that was probably a bad decision.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Given the outcome, I'd say that's a certainty. It looked awfully tempting to take a shot at [b]Joey[/b] when he dropped his gun due to a critical miss while three of his buddies were insane (and one of those was getting eaten). Unfortunately for [b]Richard[/b], he had two other friends in full control of their faculties. Ironically, they have the lowest Sanity of his entire crew. If you want another character in this thread, [b]Ho Nguyen[/b] is available. So are [b]Lauren[/b] and [b]Kyle[/b], but you'd need to do some back reading from late in Chapter 3. The new characters in Gold don't require that much catching up if you want one. Feel free to make selections and post them in the Character Selection and Discussion thread.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by kouchpotato »

OOC,Oh well, you live and learn. Well, in this case, die and than learn.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Kouch,If I could count on the fingers of my two hands the number of characters I have lost in this game. Its fun while it lasts but pick another character and go on. I would if i were you pick Ho as if someone does not take him over I am planning on shooting him in the morning if he tries to kick me out of the store. :)

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”