Page 1 of 1

IC-OMAHA-Strays(Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Z-Day - 4:13 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
On the football field-
Officer Kate Wheeler walked along the sidelines on the north side of the football field on patrol, keeping her eye on the nearby perimeter to make sure the fence had not been damaged. Dead bodies lay outside the fence around the edges, having been electrocuted when they touched it. The ghouls were very hard to kill. Shooting them in the head was effective, but electricity seemed to work even better. Though many had been slain, there were still plenty wandering the streets all around the school, but as long as the fence held out they would be safe. She tried not to look too closely at them, as the sight disturbed even her. She passed the bleachers, where she saw Alvin Drummond lying in the grass beneath them. The homeless man was a fixture in this neighborhood, and a very familiar sight for Kate. Nuzzled up against him was a stray mutt he called Murray. The dog had no collar, but he never strayed far from Alvin and nobody ever took him to the pound. It was quite obvious to everyone that the two of them belonged together. A distance to the south was the main school building. She could see a cluster of people talking in the parking lot behind the school: Emily and Chuck Lubachek from the auto body shop across the street from the school, their mechanic Emilio Montoya, and Becky Clarke, the school bus driver. There was also another dog: Chuck's Rottweiler, Tiny. His master kept him on a short leash.

Re: IC-OMAHA-Strays(Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:17 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Alvin set up and came from behind the bleachers. He walked up to Kate and said, "Officer, listen I served my country at a time when this country split apart and we were being attacked by mobs here. It appears that this is going on again. I can train people. Can you get me a weapon?"

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:52 am
by Tangerine
Officer Kate Wheeler: Seeing Alvin approaching, she stops and places her left hand on her hip - a gesture she unconsciously takes when talking to Civies on the job.

"Good ol' Drum. Nice to see you haven't been plugged or fried." After listening to Alvin talk, she replies: "I don't think this is the same as your old war stories, Drum. You know I can't give you a weapon. You shouldn't even be asking me.

Listen, head on over to the school and see if you can help out there - let us hotheads keep the peace here for know. Later, if some Crispy chows down on me, you can prise my gun from my fingers and plug the sonnofabitch that got me, okay?"

OOC: Can't get a spoiler-button to work with an html in it. Oh well - in case Alvin wants to stay, here's Kate's successful fast talk

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:46 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Tangerine,Ahh but fast talk does not work on PC's
"Well maybe I will go check out the kitchen for some eats. Murry come here boy!" He made sure the dog was following him and began to walk toward the open fire door.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:10 pm
by Alex Tru
Murry follows Alvin much closer than usual. Today had been a very odd day.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:45 am
by Tangerine
Tzoohhmmmbeee,Dangnabbit - Who says PCs have independent thought? :P
Officer Kate Wheeler:
Watching Alvin and his dog Murray head towards the school, she shakes her head, smiling. Ol' Drum and his crew never were that fazed by any sort of shit - one of the reasons she secretly admired the homeless folk.

She continued her rounds of the fence, carefully observing for any holes or damage, any sign of movement - her gun was holstered but ready to pull at the first twitch of a ghoulish limb.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 am
by Mr Zombie killer
While Alvin walked toward the school he stopped and bent to pet Murry. His eyes then looked around under the bleachers for maybe an old bottle or something that could be used for a weapon. He thought he spied something that just might do and began to walk toward it.
Mr H,What if anything did he spy and can he use it for a weapon?

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 am
by Tangerine
Inane OOC,A Rubber Chicken of Zombie Smiting!

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Social skills such as Fast Talk and Persuade do not work on PCs. Players have free will. They are useful on NPCs, but they don't work in every circumstance.
On the football field-
Alvin Drummond and Murray trotted across the football field toward the school. Alvin kept his eyes out as he went, but the groundskeeper, Donald Woodridge, kept the field and the stands very clean of any garbage. Still, every so often he missed something. That's when Alvin would grab it, and Donald would never know his cleaning job had been imperfect. When he reached the south side of the football field, not far from the parking lot, he struck paydirt. Concealed in the grass under the bleachers on that side was a bottle, probably discarded by someone at last night's practice. It quickly became Alvin's. Normally he'd have turned it in for the deposit, but today he needed it for protection far more than he needed pocket change.

Kate continued walking along the north side of the football field on her patrol route.
OOC,Everyone roll Spot Hidden. [b]Murray[/b], roll Scent Something Interesting as well.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:42 pm
by Alex Tru

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:24 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Alvin looked up from the bottle to Murry and said, "What is it boy?" In the gathering dark his eyes spotted something.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:38 am
by Tangerine
Gazing around carefully, Kate spots something!

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I need a Spot Hidden roll from [b]Murray[/b] as well. I'll let you know what you smell and see when I post the next major update.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:54 am
by Alex Tru
OOC,Sorry about that. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1882224/]Murray doesn't see anything[/url]

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:03 am
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
Kate Wheeler resumed her rounds and started walking east near the northern fence, but she glanced behind her as she went. Meanwhile, Alvin Drummond and Murray had passed the southern bleachers on their way to the rear parking lot and the main school building byeond it. Chuck and Emily Lubachek headed for the back door to the school's gym that had been propped open, pulling his Rottweiler Tiny after them. In the field to the west of the building was a baseball diamond, and to the east was a construction area for an expansion that was due to be built onto the school. Work had just started on it, and the foundation had only been laid a couple of days ago.
Kate Wheeler and Alvin Drummond,Both [b]Kate[/b] and [b]Alvin[/b] saw a pack of ghouls some twenty strong lumbering close to the northwest corner of the fence. They were heading for her, and she glanced back and saw them, but they couldn't get to her with the fence in their path. The leading ones bumped into the fence and fell in a twitching heap outside it, but the rest of them kept coming. Several more touched the fence in their vain effort to reach the pretty policewoman. A few more fell, but then they noticed that the others, some ten in number, remained on their feet and started clawing at the fence. Could the generator have gone out? When they looked back at the school building, they saw that there were no lights on in the windows. Both of you make a Sanity roll for seeing the zombies. Sanity loss is 0/1d10, so if you succeed, you lose no Sanity. If you fail, you lose 1d10. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, roll Idea. Failing that means you may act freely. If you succeed, then you will go temporarily insane and I'll let you know how it affects you.
Murray,[b]Murray[/b] smelled a couple of sources of an awful scent of death and decay in the distance, the same smell that had accompanied the walking corpses that had been besieging the school. One source was off to the northwest, and it was strong. Another, weaker source of the smell was coming from the construction area. Yet he could not see the sources of the odors.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:00 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Mr Handy,Since I know how to roll sanity....and to take some burdon off of you...can I roll the whole way and let you know what occurs just like I did the last two chapters?

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:05 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Alvin stared at the creatures clawing at the fence. He gulped in fear. However he kept from losing it having seen awful things in Vietnam after all and he shouted at Kate, "Fire your weapon officer. Do it now!"

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:28 pm
by Alex Tru
Murray rubs up against Alvin trying to comfort him. He then places himself between Alvin and the smell.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:32 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
"Murry, its okay boy!" Alvin bent down to pet him and kind of moved him away from the fence a bit. "Get ready to run boy."

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
Kate Wheeler,You are currently about 75 yards from the zombies. Your weapon also isn't currently drawn, so if you draw it now and fire this turn you will only get one shot. Further, this is a long range shot, so even using precision aim you'll still be at half skill, and that's not counting the -5 penalty for aiming at the head. You may instead run towards the zombies this round, and you may draw your pistol while you move. You may get as close as 15 yards away, and as long as you are within 40 yards you may use precision aim without a range penalty. This will allow you to set yourself up for the following round, when you would get three shots with no range penalty. Note that these are not your only options, and you are free to do whatever you like. [b]Kate[/b] does have a walkie-talkie on her, which is tuned to the same frequency as one carried by [b]Jerry Law[/b] and a couple carried by the scientists in the lab. If you're going to use it, which you may do while moving, you'll have to hold it in one hand. Luckily, the pistol is a one-handed weapon, so you can hold it in the other.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:17 am
by Tangerine
Kate is startled somewhat to see the zombies, but she was expecting them along at some point - she takes a deep breath, and prepares to act.
OOC,Sorry to break the flow of the game but I'm new to the combat stuff! What's the base range for her Glock? A couple of other things - does the fence look like it will hold up to their numbers for the moment? How fast do they actually move - will she be able to attack them with enough time/space to bolt to the school if the fence comes down? Kate will contact Jerry and the science dudes, of course, but I will need to work it into an action sequence...

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Kate Wheeler,That's okay. Feel free to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The base range for the Glock (which is listed in the locations and weapons thread with its other stats) is 20 yards. Using precision aim, which you'll have to do if you want to target the zombies' heads, doubles this to 40 yards. Within that range, you'll use your full skill, with only a -5 penalty if you aim at the head. Within twice that range, you'd be using half skill, with the -5 penalty applied after halving your skill. Considering how limited your ammo is, you probably don't want to do that. The zombies are all of the slow-moving variety, so you can easily outrun them back to the school if they breach the fence. The fence is pretty strong, and it doesn't look like it will give any time soon, but neither will it hold out forever.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:06 am
by Tangerine
OOC,She whips out her patented Anti-Zombie Spray! Guaranteed to Melt Zombies, Grease Stains and all Known Metals! Hooray!
Kate Wheeler

"Get inside, Alvin! Go! Alert the others that the fence is out!"

Kate pulled her handgun with her right hand, and starting jogging towards the fence - just close enough to make it easier to shoot them, but with enough distance to run if need be. If she could pick some off before they pulled down the fence, well...

Pressing the push-to-talk on her radio walkie-talkie, she alerted Jerry: "10-59, Code Three! Adam One responding to large party of ghouls, northwest fence. Firing weapon, 10-81, over!"

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:38 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Mr Handy,Can Alvin start running this round or does he need to wait for a major update from you?

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Alvin Drummond,[b]Alvin[/b] and [b]Murray[/b] are both assumed to have spent the last round running. I also just saw your earlier OOC comment. I would prefer to determine the type and duration of your character's madness myself if temporary insanity comes up. Sometimes it will be a random roll, but other times it may be tailored to fit the situation.
On the football field-
Alvin hightailed it away from the football field and into the rear parking lot, Murray right behind him.
OOC,[b]Alvin Drummond[/b] and [b]Murray[/b] are moving to the the thread linked below. Please stop reading the current thread at this point. [b]Kate Wheeler[/b], you remain in the current thread.
Bus Stopped

Kate spun on her heel and ran west, drawing her Glock as she did. When she reached the 15 yard line, which was about 40 yards from the pack of zombies at the fence, she felt she was close enough to have a good chance of shooting them, but far enough that it would take them a while to get near her if the fence did give out. It didn't look like it would right away. The ghouls were remarkably stupid, getting in each other's way and clawing ineffectually most of the time. They had only dislodged a few links so far, but eventually the fence would break.
Kate Wheeler,You may now fire up to three shots this round. If you don't use precision aim, you'll be at half skill. If you do use it, which is recommended, you get your full skill, with only a -5 penalty for aiming at the head (and you must use precision aim to go for a head shot). Normally precision aim only allows one shot per round, but I allow up to the maximum provided all shots are at the same target. The Glock fires three times per round. For each shot, make a Handgun roll (against the skill listed on your character sheet, with the -5 penalty for a head shot). If you hit, roll 1d10 damage. It takes at least 40 damage in general to kill a zombie, but only 10 damage to the head, which is why such shots are very effective and highly recommended. If you roll 1/5 of your effective skill (this includes the penalty) or less, you score an [i]impale[/i], which means you roll 2d10 damage instead of 1d10 for that bullet. Since your Handgun skill is 67%, you'll need 62 or less to hit a zombie in the head and you'll get an impale on a 12 or less. If you kill your target with one or two shots, stop firing at that point. You'll have to wait until the following round to switch to a new target. [b]Kate[/b] also heard the voice of [b]Dr. Helene Saunders[/b] on her walkie-talkie: "[b]Adam[/b], the generator in the basement is down! It must be repaired ASAP!"

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:06 pm
by Tangerine
Kate Wheeler

"Bloody generator!"

Carefully aiming at the most able-looking zombie at the fence, she squeezes the safety-trigger, takes a breath and fires a shot at its head - the bullet hits!, and a cloud of clotted blood, brain and skull explodes from the zombie's face. The zombie lurches back a step, but then resumes clawing at the fence!

Swearing - what survives a shot like that?, Kate squeezes off another slug at the zombie's head...
OOC,Crap - is that a malfunction... already?!

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,No, the Malfunction number for the Glock is 98, so that's "only" a critical miss. In this case, you missed badly and lost your aim, so you don't get a third shot this round. Doing 8 or 9 damage to a slow-moving zombie's head will reduce it to a crawl, however. It can still claw at the lower portion of the fence and try to get through, but it will move even more slowly if it eventually does. You should probably target a standing zombie next round and leave the crawler for last, but don't shoot again yet. You'll need to wait for my next major update and a description of what happens, and I'll need to wait for some players to post in the other Omaha threads before I can make one. All the Omaha threads need to stay in sync with each other.

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
Kate's first bullet went into the center of the leading zombie's forehead, and it fell. However, it still kept moving and clawing at the base of the fence. The other nine on their feet continued their assault on the fence as well, though it was still holding strong. Her second shot misfired, and the recoil twisted the pistol to the side, throwing off her aim. She hurried to readjust it.

Her radio chirped up again, this time with the voice of Adam Donnelly: "Helene, this is Adam. I've got my toolkit up here. I'll head down to the generator, but I'm not sure exactly where it is. Someone will need to take my lookout post up here. I also wouldn't mind some backup when I go to the basement. Over."

"Rachel Cohen is on her way up to the roof to take your place," replied Dr. Saunders. "I don't know if anyone else in the lab can help you with the generator, but maybe you'll see someone on the way down. The stairs from the roof go all the way down to the basement, where the generator is. I believe it's the first door on the right. If you see anyone else on your way down, either bring them with if they can help, or send them upstairs if they can't."
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], you may fire up to three more shots at another zombie this round, using the same rules as before.

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:14 pm
by Tangerine
Kate Wheeler:

Ignoring the radio chatter for now, Kate readjusted her aim and fired three shots off in quick succession at another standing zombie. The first two hit, but only glancing shots. The third went wide.

Kate sighed loudly, trying to find her calm cop-state; Damnit! Definitely harder to shoot at ghouls than damned target cut-outs on the range!
OOC,How much ammo in total does Kate have? And man, what lousy dice rolls! :D

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:50 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You can see [b]Kate[/b]'s ammo in the Locations and Weapons thread. She started out with 51 bullets (3 magazines of 17 rounds each), and she has fired 5 so far. That was rotten luck, only doing 2 damage this round. I'll let you know when the next round starts.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
Kate's first two shots creased the scalp of one of the standing zombies, but it did not even appear to notice. The pack of ghouls kept clawing at the fence, though the holes they were making were still far too small to allow them entry. As she fired, a new voice spoke on the radio: "Dr. Saunders, Rachel Cohen here, we have a major disaster on the stairwell and I need help. Adam Donnelly has cracked-up and I believe requires specialist attention; what about Dr. Liz Somerville, could she do something to bring Adam to his senses?"

"Yes, that's a good idea," replied Dr. Saunders. "She's on her way. Jerry Law, if you can hear me, I need you to start moving anyone who can't help with the generator upstairs, where it's safer."
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], you get up to three more shots, using the same rules as before.

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:22 am
by Tangerine
Kate

Hearing Rachel on the radio, Kate grimaced - sounds like things were getting a bit hairy elsewhere. Readjusting her aim, she fires three more shots at the scalped zombie. The zombie's skull exploded open like a watermelon, showering brain and skull fragments all over its fellow undead.

Crowing in delight, Kate engages the radio - "This is Adam One - do you need a 10-89 at the stairwell? Do you need a hand with Adam?"

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:44 pm
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
Kate's first shot blew a hole in the creature's skull, and it fell motionless to the ground. Eight others remained on their feet and one was on its hands and knees, all clawing ineffectually at the fence. She stopped firing at the dead ghoul at that point to conserve ammo and aimed at a fresh target.

"Negative, Officer," replied Dr. Saunders on the radio, "but thank you. We need you to keep those things from breaching the fence right now. Dr. Somerville is helping Adam, and there are more people on the way who might be able to help him if she cannot, and they are a lot closer. You're one of the few people with guns, and we're relying on you for our defense. Once we get the generator back up and running, we'll be all right. We just need to buy enough time to do that."
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], you have up to three more shots this round. You only used one last round, as that was enough to take out your target. Also, roll Listen.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:26 pm
by Tangerine
Kate

Replying; "Copy that! Will continue to engage suspe- I mean, filthy ghoulies. Keep me advised on the situation. Over."

Then, drawing a bead on another zombie, she squeezes off more shots. Two of her bullets hit!.

Kate grinned - despite the inherent danger, she was beginning to enjoy this little zombie-shoot!

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:30 pm
by Tangerine
OOC,Kate's successful [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1915876/]listen check[/url]... maybe.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
As she was shooting, Kate noticed the sound of a helicopter to the west, steadily getting closer, but in the heat of battle she wasn't fully conscious of the noise until it stopped. It sounded like the helicopter had landed on the roof of the school. Kate took out her next target with two shots, leaving only seven on their feet and one on its hands and knees. They continued clawing at the fence, and here and there one of them got an arm through a big enough hole. They were still a long way from making holes big enough to fit their entire bodies through, though. Then there was the crack of a rifle shot from the roof of the school. One of the zombies had its skull split open, and it too fell.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], you used only two bullets last round, as your target was destroyed before you fired the third one. You may fire up to three more times at a new target now.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:20 pm
by Tangerine
Kate

Grinning at the help, Kate took aim at another zombie, and kept up her one-sided fire. Kate's first bullet caves in one side of a zombie's skull, the second blowing the back of the skull out.

She looks up to the roof in an attempt to spot her comrade and wave a thanks.
OOC,Damage rolls - http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1920761/ Did I remember correctly that 98 was the malfunction number?
OOC II,Yay! Thanks Ms Rifler! I can save some ammo!

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, 98 is the Malfunction number. It's listed in the locations and weapons thread. Your roll of 95 wasn't even a critical failure, just a normal one. That's another kill you've got, but you spent three bullets this time. You can't fire again until the next major update, but roll Spot Hidden to see what details you can make out on the roof.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:10 pm
by Tangerine
Kate

Kate glanced over at the roof, reluctant to miss anything important from the zombies, and glanced back just as quickly, not having seen anything out of the ordinary

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
All Kate could make out on the roof was a small helicopter that had landed on the west side and a cluster of people at the northwest corner. One of them, a tall woman in a flight suit, pointed her rifle at another zombie. She fired, blowing its head open. Now five of them had been destroyed, leaving four standing and one on its hands and knees.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], you get another three shots at a zombie with the same rules as before.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:56 am
by Tangerine
Kate

Cheering at her unknown friend's shot, Kate took aim at another zombie, and pulled the trigger...
OOC,Rightio - there's the malfunction number :S Can I get a refund on my dice-roll luck? :D

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
Kate's Glock jammed when she tried to fire her first shot at her target's head. Luckily, the woman on the roof with the rifle put a bullet right between its eyes and sent it sprawling to the ground, where it remained. That left only three on their feet and one on its knees. They were slowing clawing their way through the fence, but it would still hold a while longer.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], if you want to try to unjam the pistol, you should roll either Handgun or Mechanical Repair, whichever is higher. Since the base skill level for Mechanical Repair is 20%, this is your Handgun skill. For this roll, there is no penalty. If you succeed, roll 1d6 to see how many rounds it takes, including this one. If you fail, you just waste the current round. If you critically fail, by rolling a 96 or higher, you've broken the weapon.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:31 am
by Tangerine
Kate

As the not-so-lucky zombie fell, Kate examined her jammed gun. "Bet the warranty just expired..."

Seeing the problem, she shouted at her ally on the roof - "Damn thing's jammed up bad - gonna need some time! Watch my back!"

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
Kate was making good progress in clearing the jam. It wouldn't take her as long as she had feared. Rachel's voice crackled from her radio: "Officer Kate Wheeler, this is Rachel Cohen up on the school roof. The ghouls are covered from here, come back to the school."

The woman with the rifle fired another shot, and another zombie went down in a heap. That only left two standing and the crawling, wounded one. Then she heard the voice of Jerry Law on her radio: "Officer Kate, where are you, so we may help you?"
OOC,With that excellent roll, it will shorten the time required to clear the jam. It will only take 3 rounds, including the last one and the current one. You may head back to the school while unjamming the pistol if you wish. Also, roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:14 am
by Tangerine
Kate

Pausing in her repair to talk into the walkie-talkie, Kate replies to Rachel "Copy, thanks for the assist - not one of my best days at target practice! On my way back - need an eight-five-two to steady the nerves, I think."

Whistling as another zombie was shot down by the rifleman on the roof, Kate turned and made for the school building, never once stopping her constant assessment of the environment.

The radio crackled again, this time from Jerry's voice. "Copy, Law. I'm at the north-west corner of the fence. The, er, "unruly" crowd has been mostly subdued." Best crowd control she'd had in a while - they couldn't hit back!

"Someone on the roof is playing Charles, er, taking over for me. There's three left at the fence, I'm on my way back in. Fancy joinin' me for an eight-five-two?"

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
On the football field-
Kate ran southeast across the football field toward the school, working to clear the jammed pistol as she did. She could now see the people on the roof more clearly. The woman with the rifle, whose helicopter bore the markings of the Nebraska State Police, fired again, but this time her shot went a little wide. Also with her on the roof were Megan Petrovich, Rachel Cohen, Michiko Watanabe, and Elijah Smith. When Kate reached the south side of the football field, not far from the school's rear parking lot, she noticed that the gym's fire exit that had previously been propped open on the north side of the school was now shut, as were the other doors on that side of the school. She also caught sight of the construction area on the east side of the school. There was some kind of hole in the newly dried concrete near the northeast corner of the foundation.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], roll Listen. It will take one more round to finish clearing the jam, and you can do that as you move.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:52 am
by Tangerine
Kate

Seeing the closed door, and then the hole in the foundation over at the construction site, Kate grew suspicious. Slowing to a careful walk, she strained her ears, but heard nothing that immediately felt wrong.

Pushing the talk button on her walkie-talkie, Kate spoke quietly into it; "This is Officer Wheeler. The doors are all shut on the northside - you guys taking precautions or is something up?" Eyeing the hole, trying to analyse it as best she could with a trained cop's eye, she continued after a pause, "I'm on the south of the football field near the rear carpark. Something's got me a bit suspicious - I can see a hole in a new foundation block over at the construction yard. Anyone know about that?"

Maybe some opportunistic serial-killer had given his latest victim a cement coffin during the construction, and now the zombified corpse had gnawed its way through concrete to get revenge. Or maybe, it was a stash... In any case, Kate felt a bit put out, what with the zombie apocalypse and all. She loosened her nightstick in its holster, ready for a quick draw, and kept working on unjamming her Glock.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
In the rear parking lot-
"I don't know about the hole," replied Jerry on the radio. "I think it's better that you return inside. You're our best shooter and it would be a disaster if something... happened to you. Get inside."

Kate finished unjamming her Glock as she entered the parking lot behind the school. She had run southeast toward the hole to get a closer look, and was now northeast of the school building and could get a better look at the east side. The hole in the foundation was just a few feet away, and she could see now that it was vaguely man-shaped and only about four or five feet deep. Her initial suspicion that a body had been buried in the concrete seemed confirmed. The gym's fire exit on the east side of the school remained closed, but the fire door to the kitchen a short distance to the south of it was not just open - it was gone! Further south of that was the cafeteria's fire exit, also closed.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:56 am
by Tangerine
Kate Wheeler

Kate readied her weapon, and spoke into the radio quietly; "This is Officer Kate Wheeler. I have a Code 1 here - the hole is man-shaped, is empty. Fire door to kitchen has been removed somehow - cafeteria and gym door intact. Request -, er, should I investigate? Anyone inside the kitchen?"

Damn, Kate thought. Concrete zombie's looking for a snack... Hopefully it's the salmonella special, not any of the kids...

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Kate Wheeler[/b], roll Track if you want to try to determine where whoever got out of the hole went - though it's possible to figure this out easily enough anyway.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:43 am
by Tangerine
Kate carefully investigates, making sure to remain alert and careful. She'd had one too many scrapes in dark alleyways to rush into things.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy
In the rear parking lot-
While it was normally impossible to track someone moving across concrete, Kate could detect traces of concrete dust leading from the hole in the ground directly to the open doorway to the kitchen. So far nobody had responded to her radio message. What could be going on inside?

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
In the construction area-
As Kate looked around, she noticed that there were more ghouls here and there clawing on the fence. Some of them were on the east side of the fence, and some were visible on the south side. A few of them were most of the way through the chain links, and it would probably only be a few more minutes before they started breaching the fence. A large number of them had started to accumulate now that the power was off, too many to shoot all of them with the ammo and time she had available. As she headed across the northern part of the construction site following the trail of concrete dust, she noticed that a corner of the kitchen door was visible inside the room. It had apparently been knocked off of its hinges. From within the kitchen she could hear a pounding noise now that she was closer. She also heard another rifle shot from the roof.

Dr. Helene Saunders finally spoke on the radio: "Officer Wheeler, if one of those things has gotten inside, it must be stopped. If it kills anyone, we could be dealing with more than one soon. We must buy as much time as possible so the power can be restored. Rachel just came back to the lab, but she's nowhere near the kitchen. There have been shots fired inside the school, a shotgun and a pistol. I don't know why yet. It's up to you what you feel is most important to investigate. We need your help, but you must take care of yourself too."

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the contruction area-
Kate hesitated, apparently unsure of what to do. The zombies continued to claw at the chainlink fence, and in a few minutes they would start breaking through it. If she were still stuck outside when they got in...The kitchen doorway yawned open wide and presented the only visible way inside, but there could be one of them already in there. Indeed, there was a tremendous smashing sound from within the kitchen.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], roll Listen.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 pm
by Tangerine
OOC,Having a terrible month so far :S Power supply fizzled and I'm broke - borrowed a junky one :D
Kate pauses, listening hard

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Welcome back! I've had a few power supplies go on me over the years, so I know the feeling.
The smashing sound had stopped, but Kate could hear running footsteps inside the school. They were moving from the kitchen and into the cafeteria.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:49 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm sorry, but I can't wait any longer and I need to go ahead and update now. The update was long overdue anyway.
While Kate continued to hesitate, she heard the footsteps run off into the cafeteria, petering out as they got more distant until she could no longer hear them. The only sound now was the continuing rifle fire from the roof.

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:44 am
by Tangerine
Kate

Kate takes a firmer grip on her pistol, and advances at a careful but efficient pace inside. Expecting an ambush of some sort, she nevertheless will be making for the rest of the school's survivors.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy
In the kitchen-
Kate moved briskly into the kitchen, her Glock clutched in her sweaty palm. She stepped over the broken fire door, in awe of the strength required to knock it in. The kitchen itself was deserted. In the far corner was a set of stairs leading down to the basement, and to the left was the door leading to the cafeteria - or what was left of it. When she got there, she could see that the door had been smashed to pieces from within the kitchen, as had a pair of cafeteria tables that had been shoved behind it as a makeshift barricade. At the opposite end of the cafeteria she could see that the double doors were open. Nobody was visible in the hall beyond that, but she heard a pistol shot coming from that direction.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], you may enter the cafeteria this round if you wish, but you cannot get to the hall beyond it just yet.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy
In the kitchen-
Kate continued quickly through the doorway to the cafeteria, stepping over the broken barricade.

In the cafeteria-
Kate found herself behind the counter and made her way through the cafeteria toward the open doors. Two more pistol shots rang out, and then she heard Miguel Garcia cry "Oh, crap!"

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
In the cafeteria-
Kate held her pistol in both hands as she rushed through the open doors into the hall beyond.
OOC,[b]Kate Wheeler[/b] is moving to the following thread.
Dread