IC-OMAHA-Strays(Kate/Alvin/Murray)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Strays(Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Post by Tangerine »

Kate

Cheering at her unknown friend's shot, Kate took aim at another zombie, and pulled the trigger...
OOC,Rightio - there's the malfunction number :S Can I get a refund on my dice-roll luck? :D
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the football field-
Kate's Glock jammed when she tried to fire her first shot at her target's head. Luckily, the woman on the roof with the rifle put a bullet right between its eyes and sent it sprawling to the ground, where it remained. That left only three on their feet and one on its knees. They were slowing clawing their way through the fence, but it would still hold a while longer.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], if you want to try to unjam the pistol, you should roll either Handgun or Mechanical Repair, whichever is higher. Since the base skill level for Mechanical Repair is 20%, this is your Handgun skill. For this roll, there is no penalty. If you succeed, roll 1d6 to see how many rounds it takes, including this one. If you fail, you just waste the current round. If you critically fail, by rolling a 96 or higher, you've broken the weapon.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Kate

As the not-so-lucky zombie fell, Kate examined her jammed gun. "Bet the warranty just expired..."

Seeing the problem, she shouted at her ally on the roof - "Damn thing's jammed up bad - gonna need some time! Watch my back!"
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the football field-
Kate was making good progress in clearing the jam. It wouldn't take her as long as she had feared. Rachel's voice crackled from her radio: "Officer Kate Wheeler, this is Rachel Cohen up on the school roof. The ghouls are covered from here, come back to the school."

The woman with the rifle fired another shot, and another zombie went down in a heap. That only left two standing and the crawling, wounded one. Then she heard the voice of Jerry Law on her radio: "Officer Kate, where are you, so we may help you?"
OOC,With that excellent roll, it will shorten the time required to clear the jam. It will only take 3 rounds, including the last one and the current one. You may head back to the school while unjamming the pistol if you wish. Also, roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Kate

Pausing in her repair to talk into the walkie-talkie, Kate replies to Rachel "Copy, thanks for the assist - not one of my best days at target practice! On my way back - need an eight-five-two to steady the nerves, I think."

Whistling as another zombie was shot down by the rifleman on the roof, Kate turned and made for the school building, never once stopping her constant assessment of the environment.

The radio crackled again, this time from Jerry's voice. "Copy, Law. I'm at the north-west corner of the fence. The, er, "unruly" crowd has been mostly subdued." Best crowd control she'd had in a while - they couldn't hit back!

"Someone on the roof is playing Charles, er, taking over for me. There's three left at the fence, I'm on my way back in. Fancy joinin' me for an eight-five-two?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the football field-
Kate ran southeast across the football field toward the school, working to clear the jammed pistol as she did. She could now see the people on the roof more clearly. The woman with the rifle, whose helicopter bore the markings of the Nebraska State Police, fired again, but this time her shot went a little wide. Also with her on the roof were Megan Petrovich, Rachel Cohen, Michiko Watanabe, and Elijah Smith. When Kate reached the south side of the football field, not far from the school's rear parking lot, she noticed that the gym's fire exit that had previously been propped open on the north side of the school was now shut, as were the other doors on that side of the school. She also caught sight of the construction area on the east side of the school. There was some kind of hole in the newly dried concrete near the northeast corner of the foundation.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], roll Listen. It will take one more round to finish clearing the jam, and you can do that as you move.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Kate

Seeing the closed door, and then the hole in the foundation over at the construction site, Kate grew suspicious. Slowing to a careful walk, she strained her ears, but heard nothing that immediately felt wrong.

Pushing the talk button on her walkie-talkie, Kate spoke quietly into it; "This is Officer Wheeler. The doors are all shut on the northside - you guys taking precautions or is something up?" Eyeing the hole, trying to analyse it as best she could with a trained cop's eye, she continued after a pause, "I'm on the south of the football field near the rear carpark. Something's got me a bit suspicious - I can see a hole in a new foundation block over at the construction yard. Anyone know about that?"

Maybe some opportunistic serial-killer had given his latest victim a cement coffin during the construction, and now the zombified corpse had gnawed its way through concrete to get revenge. Or maybe, it was a stash... In any case, Kate felt a bit put out, what with the zombie apocalypse and all. She loosened her nightstick in its holster, ready for a quick draw, and kept working on unjamming her Glock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the rear parking lot-
"I don't know about the hole," replied Jerry on the radio. "I think it's better that you return inside. You're our best shooter and it would be a disaster if something... happened to you. Get inside."

Kate finished unjamming her Glock as she entered the parking lot behind the school. She had run southeast toward the hole to get a closer look, and was now northeast of the school building and could get a better look at the east side. The hole in the foundation was just a few feet away, and she could see now that it was vaguely man-shaped and only about four or five feet deep. Her initial suspicion that a body had been buried in the concrete seemed confirmed. The gym's fire exit on the east side of the school remained closed, but the fire door to the kitchen a short distance to the south of it was not just open - it was gone! Further south of that was the cafeteria's fire exit, also closed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Kate Wheeler

Kate readied her weapon, and spoke into the radio quietly; "This is Officer Kate Wheeler. I have a Code 1 here - the hole is man-shaped, is empty. Fire door to kitchen has been removed somehow - cafeteria and gym door intact. Request -, er, should I investigate? Anyone inside the kitchen?"

Damn, Kate thought. Concrete zombie's looking for a snack... Hopefully it's the salmonella special, not any of the kids...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Kate Wheeler[/b], roll Track if you want to try to determine where whoever got out of the hole went - though it's possible to figure this out easily enough anyway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Kate carefully investigates, making sure to remain alert and careful. She'd had one too many scrapes in dark alleyways to rush into things.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the rear parking lot-
While it was normally impossible to track someone moving across concrete, Kate could detect traces of concrete dust leading from the hole in the ground directly to the open doorway to the kitchen. So far nobody had responded to her radio message. What could be going on inside?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the construction area-
As Kate looked around, she noticed that there were more ghouls here and there clawing on the fence. Some of them were on the east side of the fence, and some were visible on the south side. A few of them were most of the way through the chain links, and it would probably only be a few more minutes before they started breaching the fence. A large number of them had started to accumulate now that the power was off, too many to shoot all of them with the ammo and time she had available. As she headed across the northern part of the construction site following the trail of concrete dust, she noticed that a corner of the kitchen door was visible inside the room. It had apparently been knocked off of its hinges. From within the kitchen she could hear a pounding noise now that she was closer. She also heard another rifle shot from the roof.

Dr. Helene Saunders finally spoke on the radio: "Officer Wheeler, if one of those things has gotten inside, it must be stopped. If it kills anyone, we could be dealing with more than one soon. We must buy as much time as possible so the power can be restored. Rachel just came back to the lab, but she's nowhere near the kitchen. There have been shots fired inside the school, a shotgun and a pistol. I don't know why yet. It's up to you what you feel is most important to investigate. We need your help, but you must take care of yourself too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the contruction area-
Kate hesitated, apparently unsure of what to do. The zombies continued to claw at the chainlink fence, and in a few minutes they would start breaking through it. If she were still stuck outside when they got in...The kitchen doorway yawned open wide and presented the only visible way inside, but there could be one of them already in there. Indeed, there was a tremendous smashing sound from within the kitchen.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], roll Listen.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

OOC,Having a terrible month so far :S Power supply fizzled and I'm broke - borrowed a junky one :D
Kate pauses, listening hard
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Welcome back! I've had a few power supplies go on me over the years, so I know the feeling.
The smashing sound had stopped, but Kate could hear running footsteps inside the school. They were moving from the kitchen and into the cafeteria.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm sorry, but I can't wait any longer and I need to go ahead and update now. The update was long overdue anyway.
While Kate continued to hesitate, she heard the footsteps run off into the cafeteria, petering out as they got more distant until she could no longer hear them. The only sound now was the continuing rifle fire from the roof.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Kate

Kate takes a firmer grip on her pistol, and advances at a careful but efficient pace inside. Expecting an ambush of some sort, she nevertheless will be making for the rest of the school's survivors.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the kitchen-
Kate moved briskly into the kitchen, her Glock clutched in her sweaty palm. She stepped over the broken fire door, in awe of the strength required to knock it in. The kitchen itself was deserted. In the far corner was a set of stairs leading down to the basement, and to the left was the door leading to the cafeteria - or what was left of it. When she got there, she could see that the door had been smashed to pieces from within the kitchen, as had a pair of cafeteria tables that had been shoved behind it as a makeshift barricade. At the opposite end of the cafeteria she could see that the double doors were open. Nobody was visible in the hall beyond that, but she heard a pistol shot coming from that direction.
OOC,[b]Kate[/b], you may enter the cafeteria this round if you wish, but you cannot get to the hall beyond it just yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the kitchen-
Kate continued quickly through the doorway to the cafeteria, stepping over the broken barricade.

In the cafeteria-
Kate found herself behind the counter and made her way through the cafeteria toward the open doors. Two more pistol shots rang out, and then she heard Miguel Garcia cry "Oh, crap!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”