IC-OMAHA-Strays(Kate/Alvin/Murray)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-Strays(Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 4:13 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
On the football field-
Officer Kate Wheeler walked along the sidelines on the north side of the football field on patrol, keeping her eye on the nearby perimeter to make sure the fence had not been damaged. Dead bodies lay outside the fence around the edges, having been electrocuted when they touched it. The ghouls were very hard to kill. Shooting them in the head was effective, but electricity seemed to work even better. Though many had been slain, there were still plenty wandering the streets all around the school, but as long as the fence held out they would be safe. She tried not to look too closely at them, as the sight disturbed even her. She passed the bleachers, where she saw Alvin Drummond lying in the grass beneath them. The homeless man was a fixture in this neighborhood, and a very familiar sight for Kate. Nuzzled up against him was a stray mutt he called Murray. The dog had no collar, but he never strayed far from Alvin and nobody ever took him to the pound. It was quite obvious to everyone that the two of them belonged together. A distance to the south was the main school building. She could see a cluster of people talking in the parking lot behind the school: Emily and Chuck Lubachek from the auto body shop across the street from the school, their mechanic Emilio Montoya, and Becky Clarke, the school bus driver. There was also another dog: Chuck's Rottweiler, Tiny. His master kept him on a short leash.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Strays(Kate/Alvin/Murray)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvin set up and came from behind the bleachers. He walked up to Kate and said, "Officer, listen I served my country at a time when this country split apart and we were being attacked by mobs here. It appears that this is going on again. I can train people. Can you get me a weapon?"
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tangerine »

Officer Kate Wheeler: Seeing Alvin approaching, she stops and places her left hand on her hip - a gesture she unconsciously takes when talking to Civies on the job.

"Good ol' Drum. Nice to see you haven't been plugged or fried." After listening to Alvin talk, she replies: "I don't think this is the same as your old war stories, Drum. You know I can't give you a weapon. You shouldn't even be asking me.

Listen, head on over to the school and see if you can help out there - let us hotheads keep the peace here for know. Later, if some Crispy chows down on me, you can prise my gun from my fingers and plug the sonnofabitch that got me, okay?"

OOC: Can't get a spoiler-button to work with an html in it. Oh well - in case Alvin wants to stay, here's Kate's successful fast talk
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Tangerine,Ahh but fast talk does not work on PC's
"Well maybe I will go check out the kitchen for some eats. Murry come here boy!" He made sure the dog was following him and began to walk toward the open fire door.
Alex Tru
Layman
Layman

Post by Alex Tru »

Murry follows Alvin much closer than usual. Today had been a very odd day.
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Tzoohhmmmbeee,Dangnabbit - Who says PCs have independent thought? :P
Officer Kate Wheeler:
Watching Alvin and his dog Murray head towards the school, she shakes her head, smiling. Ol' Drum and his crew never were that fazed by any sort of shit - one of the reasons she secretly admired the homeless folk.

She continued her rounds of the fence, carefully observing for any holes or damage, any sign of movement - her gun was holstered but ready to pull at the first twitch of a ghoulish limb.
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

While Alvin walked toward the school he stopped and bent to pet Murry. His eyes then looked around under the bleachers for maybe an old bottle or something that could be used for a weapon. He thought he spied something that just might do and began to walk toward it.
Mr H,What if anything did he spy and can he use it for a weapon?
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Inane OOC,A Rubber Chicken of Zombie Smiting!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Social skills such as Fast Talk and Persuade do not work on PCs. Players have free will. They are useful on NPCs, but they don't work in every circumstance.
On the football field-
Alvin Drummond and Murray trotted across the football field toward the school. Alvin kept his eyes out as he went, but the groundskeeper, Donald Woodridge, kept the field and the stands very clean of any garbage. Still, every so often he missed something. That's when Alvin would grab it, and Donald would never know his cleaning job had been imperfect. When he reached the south side of the football field, not far from the parking lot, he struck paydirt. Concealed in the grass under the bleachers on that side was a bottle, probably discarded by someone at last night's practice. It quickly became Alvin's. Normally he'd have turned it in for the deposit, but today he needed it for protection far more than he needed pocket change.

Kate continued walking along the north side of the football field on her patrol route.
OOC,Everyone roll Spot Hidden. [b]Murray[/b], roll Scent Something Interesting as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Alex Tru
Layman
Layman

Post by Alex Tru »

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin looked up from the bottle to Murry and said, "What is it boy?" In the gathering dark his eyes spotted something.
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Gazing around carefully, Kate spots something!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I need a Spot Hidden roll from [b]Murray[/b] as well. I'll let you know what you smell and see when I post the next major update.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Alex Tru
Layman
Layman

Post by Alex Tru »

OOC,Sorry about that. [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1882224/]Murray doesn't see anything[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the football field-
Kate Wheeler resumed her rounds and started walking east near the northern fence, but she glanced behind her as she went. Meanwhile, Alvin Drummond and Murray had passed the southern bleachers on their way to the rear parking lot and the main school building byeond it. Chuck and Emily Lubachek headed for the back door to the school's gym that had been propped open, pulling his Rottweiler Tiny after them. In the field to the west of the building was a baseball diamond, and to the east was a construction area for an expansion that was due to be built onto the school. Work had just started on it, and the foundation had only been laid a couple of days ago.
Kate Wheeler and Alvin Drummond,Both [b]Kate[/b] and [b]Alvin[/b] saw a pack of ghouls some twenty strong lumbering close to the northwest corner of the fence. They were heading for her, and she glanced back and saw them, but they couldn't get to her with the fence in their path. The leading ones bumped into the fence and fell in a twitching heap outside it, but the rest of them kept coming. Several more touched the fence in their vain effort to reach the pretty policewoman. A few more fell, but then they noticed that the others, some ten in number, remained on their feet and started clawing at the fence. Could the generator have gone out? When they looked back at the school building, they saw that there were no lights on in the windows. Both of you make a Sanity roll for seeing the zombies. Sanity loss is 0/1d10, so if you succeed, you lose no Sanity. If you fail, you lose 1d10. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, roll Idea. Failing that means you may act freely. If you succeed, then you will go temporarily insane and I'll let you know how it affects you.
Murray,[b]Murray[/b] smelled a couple of sources of an awful scent of death and decay in the distance, the same smell that had accompanied the walking corpses that had been besieging the school. One source was off to the northwest, and it was strong. Another, weaker source of the smell was coming from the construction area. Yet he could not see the sources of the odors.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Mr Handy,Since I know how to roll sanity....and to take some burdon off of you...can I roll the whole way and let you know what occurs just like I did the last two chapters?
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvin stared at the creatures clawing at the fence. He gulped in fear. However he kept from losing it having seen awful things in Vietnam after all and he shouted at Kate, "Fire your weapon officer. Do it now!"
Alex Tru
Layman
Layman

Post by Alex Tru »

Murray rubs up against Alvin trying to comfort him. He then places himself between Alvin and the smell.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Murry, its okay boy!" Alvin bent down to pet him and kind of moved him away from the fence a bit. "Get ready to run boy."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate Wheeler,You are currently about 75 yards from the zombies. Your weapon also isn't currently drawn, so if you draw it now and fire this turn you will only get one shot. Further, this is a long range shot, so even using precision aim you'll still be at half skill, and that's not counting the -5 penalty for aiming at the head. You may instead run towards the zombies this round, and you may draw your pistol while you move. You may get as close as 15 yards away, and as long as you are within 40 yards you may use precision aim without a range penalty. This will allow you to set yourself up for the following round, when you would get three shots with no range penalty. Note that these are not your only options, and you are free to do whatever you like. [b]Kate[/b] does have a walkie-talkie on her, which is tuned to the same frequency as one carried by [b]Jerry Law[/b] and a couple carried by the scientists in the lab. If you're going to use it, which you may do while moving, you'll have to hold it in one hand. Luckily, the pistol is a one-handed weapon, so you can hold it in the other.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”