IC-OMAHA-Science Is Golden(Chester/his students/Megan/CDC)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-Science Is Golden(Chester/his students/CDC people)

Post by kabukiman »

-Well, now anyone needs my help?

Rorran
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Rorran »

Chester

Chester takes a sandwich from the table.

"Thanks for the food, Michiko. I'm starving."

He smiles at the thoughtful student and proceeds to attack his sandwich. Mid-chew, an idea occurs to him.

"Michiko, maybe we should look around for some food and water that we can pack with us in case we need to make a hasty getaway. Can you give me a hand?"
Mr. Handy,Adam was communicating earlier in the science lab with the helicopter. He mentioned the fact that there is a gap in the electrified fence...that should cause folks some concern. He also said that aliens were involved with the rise of the dead. Can I assume that these items were overheard by others in the room?
Last edited by Rorran on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
--Albert Einstein
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

She bows slightly and then says:
-Yes, I will go imediatly. Thank you for letting me help.
After some time thinking she says:
-It must be food easy and ready to eat. Canned food is probably the best; some juice too and fruits.

Rorran
Layman
Layman

Post by Rorran »

Chester

Chester nods graciously to Michiko.

"Great. Now, under normal circumstances, we don't keep food in the lab. The cafeteria is the most likely place to score some provisions. We'll have to head over there.

Thinking out loud, Chester muses:
"Of course, we're going to need something to carry the food in. Backpacks should do nicely."

Chester addresses everyone:
"Michiko and I are taking a quick run to the cafeteria for food and supplies to carry with us in case we need to make a...strategic withdrawl. We could use a couple backpacks or something. Can any of you guys provide one?"
Last edited by Rorran on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
--Albert Einstein
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen
"Good thinking Chester. Here, I've got a large sports bag that contained my kit, take it. Oh and you two, take care."
Rorran
Layman
Layman

Post by Rorran »

Chester

Takes the bag from Rachel and makes a mental estimation of its capacity.

"Yeah, this should do the trick- just the right size to hold a decent stock. Thanks Rachel. Keep an eye on things while I'm gone, will you?"

Chester winks at Rachel.

"Ok, folks. We're off to get some provisions for the road. I promise to bring at least some junk food back!"

Chester flashes a grin to lighten the mood. He says to Michiko:

"Let's get a move on and get back quick. I've got a feeling things may get hectic pretty soon."

After slinging the empty bag slung over his shoulder, Chester exits the classroom and heads toward the cafeteria.
Last edited by Rorran on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Albert Einstein
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Chester Johnson,Not everyone was in the room during those conversations. They all know about the gap in the fence, but that has long since been barricaded. One thing [b]Adam[/b] has been doing while on the roof is keeping an eye on the barricade to make sure zombies aren't destroying it ([b]Rachel[/b] has plugged more than a few that made it to the barricade without touching the electric fence). They also know about [b]Stephanie[/b]'s ideas about the electric fence and the EMP generator, since [b]Adam[/b] has previously implemented them. Most of them do not know about the aliens. Only [b]Dr. Saunders[/b] and the CDC people heard those parts, but [b]Chester[/b] and the students were not in the lab at the time.)
OOC,This is not a major update, so anyone leaving the room won't get any farther until I post one. You may continue talking to each other, of course. Those going out the door are still within earshot of those in the room, so people in one group can still talk to people in the other. The map isn't up yet and won't be until this weekend, but the cafeteria is on the ground floor and can be reached by the same stairwell that [b]Elijah[/b] is heading for, the one nearest to the lab. The other stairwells have been barricaded as a precaution in case the school is breached.
In the special projects lab-
"Thank you, Michiko, I'll take half a sandwich," said Dr. Liz Somerville. "I don't want to fill up too much before dinner, and I've got to watch my figure, but this will take the edge off my hunger."

"Here, you can take my backpack," said Diana Forester. "Just let me get my books and stuff out first." She emptied her backpack onto a clear table and handed it to Michiko.

"I left my backpack in my locker," said Ali al-Tikriti, "but I'm sure you can find some milk crates in the kitchen to carry the food and drinks."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Michiko takes Forester bag.
-Can I make a sugestion Chester-san? After we gather those supplies, could we look for any place in the fence where those creatures aren't packed? So if we need to retreat, we can know where to go.

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen
Addresses everyone in the lab:
"These are both good ideas, which has got my brain ticking. Ever heard of Andy McNab, the SAS and their five 'P's?, 'Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance'; if we are not careful we'll resemble a dog's dinner! Now anyone else got ideas?, I'm thinking WEAPONS. I've got my handgun and the Uzi here; can anyone use a machine gun?"
To Chester:
"Does the school have any sporting rifles?, and when you get to the cafeteria see if you can also grab some knives."
Chester,Rachel returns your wink, frostily, as only a woman can.
Rorran
Layman
Layman

Post by Rorran »

Chester

"That's what we've got Adam for, Michiko. He's up on the roof, scanning the perimeter. He's got a radio and I'm sure he'll let us know if he sees something important. Still, I suppose we could take the occasional look out the windows on our way to the cafeteria."

Chester turns back to Rachel and smirks.

"Now, I've not heard of any Andy McNab, but the 'Five Ps' sound like a good rule of thumb to me. Yes, we do need weapons, but only those of us who can use 'em. Otherwise, they're a liability. I've never used a machine gun before, but I'm a fair shot with a rifle. Unfortunately, we don't have a rifle team here, so we can't count on that for weapons."
OOC,Edited to remove rifle team weapon cache. Thanks for the rules clarification, Mr. Handy.
Last edited by Rorran on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
--Albert Einstein
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tangerine »

Dr Edward Singh:

Looking up from his computer at the mention of preparation, he runs a hand across his bald pate. "Yes, I think we should look to preparing ourselves somewhat, especially as things might get more interesting once Dr Hausmman gets here. Ms Cohen is rather handy with weapons, but I'm afraid I'm not that great a warrior. I'd be wasted on the front-line, anyway, and likely to hit someone friendly."

Noticing the sandwiches, Dr Singh heads over to the table and helps himself to a couple. "Mmm - thank you for the food, er, Michiko. We should pool our resources, good thinking Mr Johnson. Might I also suggest we find some form of radio or other portable communication? From my simulation studies, isolated cells of organisms tend to, er, become infected soonest. It would also make it easier to coordinate searches and the like."

He turns to look at Dr Somerville. He frowns as if upset at her, and says in half-mock anger; "Dr Somerville! I hardly believe it is appropriate to concentrate on trivial matters, like ball-gowns and dancing, right now!" After many years of working together, Dr Singh's was faintly amused - and slightly envious - of Dr Somerville's ability to juggle fun and work. So, his bossy, condescending outbursts at such moments had overtime become like a ritual to them, and Dr Singh enjoyed the half-serious barbs they would fling at each other.

Though, Dr Singh thought to himself, I'm not entirely sure we'll be around long enough to hold a formal dinner. Even with Dr Hausmman's data, I might not be able to... No, best not to think of that. They need me - I can't think like that. I'm the only one who can stop this, I can't risk getting close to one of those organisms.
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,There is no rifle team at this school, as it turns out. You can't assume that useful items, especially guns, are going to be present in a place where they wouldn't necessarily be found. If you want information about the school and what's there that your character would know, just ask me. Hopefully things will be more clear once I post the map. I won't have time to update Omaha tonight, but I plan to do so on Saturday.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the special projects lab-
"There are several knives in the cafeteria kitchen," called Ali as Chester and Michiko left the room. "My father will know where to find them."

"Adam Donnelly and I both have walkie-talkies," said Dr. Saunders. "I believe the security guard down in the lobby has one too, and that policewoman might as well."

Dr. Somerville smiled at Dr. Singh's barb as she took a bite from her half-sandwich and watched him work over his shoulder. "Oh, I don't know, Dr. Singh," she said. "You might look rather dapper in a tuxedo. You should get out more, let your hair down - so to speak."

Diana tried to stifle a goofy grin at the scientists' exchange.

"Who else is there from the CDC?" asked the voice of Stephanie Bridges from the speakers.

"Only a few of them made it in," answered Dr. Saunders. "We've got two scientists: Dr. Edward Singh and Dr. Liz Somerville, and there's also Rachel Cohen in charge of security. She really knows what she's doing."

"I'm glad they're okay," continued Stephanie. "We can sure use their expertise, and they're both brilliant. Nobody works harder than Dr. Singh, not even me. And Liz is a wonderful friend. It'll be great to see and work with her again."

"There's a science teacher named Chester Johnson and some of his students who are helping out too."

"I can see Omaha from here," said Erica Spears from the other end of the line. "We should be coming in for a landing in just a few minutes."

"You don't know how much of a relief that is for all of us here. I don't know how much longer we can hold out."

While they were talking, the lights flickered again and went out. This had happened before once nearly an hour ago, but they had come back on almost immediately. As the seconds passed, they realized that this time they were staying out. Fortunately it was still daylight for a few more hours, so visibility wasn't a problem, but now there was no power to the electric fence. The generator in the basement, which could be reached by the north stairwell, had to have failed.

In the north stairwell, upper floor-
Elijah Smith led the way until the stairwell at the north end of the hall. A flight of stairs led up to the roof, and another led down to the ground floor, where the cafeteria could be found. Below that, they continued down to the basement. There was also a fire exit on the landing leading to a fire escape. Chester Johnson and Michiko Watanabe entered a few seconds after him. Just as they did, the lights flickered and went out.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rorran
Layman
Layman

Post by Rorran »

Chester

Chester feels a sudden pang of fright as the lights flicker off. He stops in place, preparing himself for the electricity not to return...

Seconds pass. The lights remain off.

"They're not coming back this time." He thinks.

He addresses Elijah and Michiko:

"Uhh...kids...we need to reconsider our priorities here. Our defenses are down, which means those zombies are going to plow through that fence. The LAST place we should be is at ground level. I suggest you two head up to the roof and stay with Mr. Donnelly. The higher you are, the safer you are. I'm heading back to the lab to figure out with the others what to do next."
--Albert Einstein
Alex Tru
Layman
Layman

Post by Alex Tru »

"I think your right sir but we can't wait up there forever. The scientists will need to work in the lab and besides if we go to the roof we will be trapped."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen
The power did not come back on; Rachel's heart sank as she contemplated the consequences. Momentarily she daydreamed of her niece, Annalise, in Tel Aviv last summer, and Rachel's birthday present to her: The Girl's Book - How To Be The Best At Everything; how they had laughed at the chapter How to Cope If Zombies Attack.
"Auntie Rachel, it says here, 'If you find yourself in the middle of a crowd of the walking dead, pretend to be one of them. Tilt your head to one side, dribble and moan'."
The involuntary smile died on Rachel's lips, if only it were so simple.

Speaking to everyone:
"The generator, can it be fixed, and in time to stop a Zombie attack?"
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Dr Edward Singh

"Let my hair down?" he unconsciously rubs a hand across his bald pate. Speaking to Dr Somerville; "The last time I was in a tuxedo was at that party celebrating the acceptance of your thesis! But don't let my age fool you, indeed I still can strike a dash-". The flickering lights didn't interrupt Dr Singh, but the sudden persistent darkness did.

He replies to Rachel's question as if directly addressed; "Oh dear. I guess the generator just has run out of fuel. Although, I suppose that the organisms may have managed to pull down the fence - I wonder if they've something other than instinctual awareness?" Ignoring the immediate peril - the extremely capable Rachel could direct them if needed, or easily one of the less-busy people there - Dr Singh bent back to the laptop.

Quietly, to himself or Dr Somerville, he says; "Maybe some form of hive intelligence? Retention of pre-infection memories and skills? Hmm..."
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Rachel Cohen
To Dr Singh:
"The fence gone!, so there is no point fixing the generator in the basement. Must we stay here in the lab, do you need more time at these computers? This sounds very serious to me and demands action."

Rachel slings the Uzi's strap over her shoulder and checks the ammo, also that her Desert Eagle handgun is ready, she listens and also looks carefully out of the door.
OOC,Sorry about all these questions. You and I, Tangerine, are we the only PCs in the lab? Edit: I just checked and I think we are.
Rorran
Layman
Layman

Post by Rorran »

Chester

Chester's mind races to seek a solution. He doesn't quite know how to cope with an as-yet unseen horror surrounding him from all sides.

"Is this really happening?"

The whole situation seems so surreal to him.

"Don't they always say that in zombie movies?"

Still surreal.

"What do I do with these kids? Where will they be the safest?" He thinks. "In all those zombie movies, what do the people do?"

A contemplative pause.

"Mostly, they die."

To the students:

"Ok, listen to me, kids. Until we can block off every stairwell leading to this floor of the building, we're in danger. At least the roof has only one door to block. That's why I'm saying it's the safest place to be. Additionally, that helicopter will be here soon and it'll be bringing more weapons, I presume. I know you want to help, but please listen to me. Go up to the roof."

He eyes them intently, waiting for a positive reaction.
--Albert Einstein
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Yes, Chester-San. Could I sugest that we close the doors? The.. creatures don't seem very inteligent, and that may give us some time.

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”