IC-OMAHA-On the Menu(Adler/Tariq/Amelia/Lori)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OMAHA-On the Menu(Adler/Tariq/Amelia/Lori)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 4:13 PM Central Time - Brooks High School, Omaha, Nebraska
In the kitchen-
Amelia Delacroix worked busily behind the stove, preparing supper for everyone at the school. Normally she'd have to feed hundreds of students, but today there were only about forty people. It was a lot less work, which meant she could put a lot more personal attention into the meal. Lunch had been a utilitarian affair, but she was making dinner more intimate and classy. She stirred the soup in the huge pot in front of her, putting in a dash of spices. There would be several courses to this meal, much like in a restaurant, and she would use her favorite Cajun recipes. She knew that this could be everyone's last meal, so she was pulling out all the stops.

In the cafeteria-
Tariq al-Tikriti was setting the long cafeteria tables for dinner, putting out place settings. Lori Desmond already sat at one of the tables, even though soup wouldn't be served until 5:00. The goth girl with the spiky black hair sat with her elbows on the table and her chin in her hands.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Re: IC-OMAHA-On the Menu(Tariq/Amelia/Lori)

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"You seem to be here early," Tariq says to Lori.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the kitchen-
Amelia continued her busy preparations for dinner.

In the cafeteria-
"Yeah, I'm kind of hungry," said Lori. "Got anything to snack on?"

The fluorescent lights overhead flickered briefly. They had done that several times before, when the dead touched the electric fence. It was getting more frequent as time went by.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Don't tell anyone," Tariq says as he finishes laying out the dishes, "but I bring my own lunch everyday. Not that Lori isn't a fine chef, but between the volume and speed of food we have to produce, and our school's incredible lunch budget, sometimes...I am more comfortable with the sort of food I grew up on. Since I'm looking forward to the food she can make when she has time today, I'd be happy to have someone eat the perishable food I brought. I won't be able to store it when the power goes out."

He then produces a brown paper sack that contains falafel and hummus with tomato. He slips out a small package of halvah and pockets it, then hands the sack to Lori.

"You're not one of those people who are fussy about food from countries other than your own, are you?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cafeteria-
"Are you kidding?" said Lori. "I love trying new things, and even if I didn't I'd be grateful to have anything at all. Thanks, man." She accepted the food and tasted it. "Mmm, this is pretty good! I don't know if you remember me, but I used to go to school here. Graduated five years ago." She paused in thought. "Wait, did you just say 'when the power goes out'?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Look at the lights," replies Tariq. "And anyway, if things are really as bad outside as everyone says, electricity is often the first thing to go. "
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"If things get really bad," continues Tariq, "I have some emergency supplies at my house that might come in useful. I wonder if it is possible to get them. Perhaps I should mention it to whoever has taken charge. Our principal?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cafeteria-
"Yeah, he'd be the one to talk to," said Lori. "Sounds real dangerous, though. I mean, the streets are crawling with those...those things, and it seems like they're all heading our way, like they know we're holed up here. The front entrance is barricaded, and you wouldn't be able to get over the fence while the power's on anyway. Even if you could, how would you get past them all - twice? Is it really worth the risk? Well, I just hope the power stays on. If it doesn't, then the fence won't stop them for long - and then we'll be dinner!"

While they were talking, the lights flickered again and went out. This had happened before once nearly an hour ago, but they had come back on almost immediately. As the seconds passed, they realized that this time they were staying out. Fortunately it was still daylight for a few more hours, so visibility wasn't a problem, but now there was no power to the electric fence. The generator in the basement, which could be reached by the north stairwell, had to have failed.

"Me and my big mouth," muttered Lori.

In the kitchen-
Amelia Delacroix stopped stirring when the lights went out. "Oh, this is some bad mojo," she said to herself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Tariq speaks slowly, choosing his words.

"It seems we are no longer safe. I've been in worse situations before, so listen to me. We just have to be fast, and calm. First, let us go into the kitchen and pick up anything that would be useful as a tool or a weapon. Then, we will go to the safest place we can. That should mean where the most armed people on our side - so the most living people - are. Failing that, we will have to make a run for the roof. These zombies - from everything I've heard, they attack like animals. They are not nearly as dangerous as armed and intelligent people."
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Tariq enters the kitchen. Since he's worked there for so many years, he has no problem takingthe largest butcher's knife he can find.

"Amelia, if we are alone here without power, then we are not safe. I am going to go find someone else, and I think both you and Lori Desmond, who is in the cafeteria, should come with me. Do you think you could make a little of that food- what is the word? - "to go", just in case?"

He then moves towards the exit, looking around the room to see if he can think of any other kitchen implement that might come in useful as a tool or a weapon. He realizes that this might be the one room in the country he knows best.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the cafeteria-
"You've been in worse situations than this?" Lori asked skeptically, but she still followed Tariq into the kitchen.

In the kitchen-
"Yes, we must all stick together," said Amelia as Tariq picked up a steak knife. She handed another one to Lori. "You know how to use a knife, young lady?"

"Is the Pope German?" asked Lori. "This is a lot better than my toothpick of a switchblade! Thanks!"

Amelia stuffed some food into a sack and grabbed a sharp meat cleaver. Aside from the door back into the cafeteria, the only other exits were a fire door leading out into the construction area and a set of dark stairs that went down into the pantry. From the pantry it was possible to reach the rest of the basement, including the generator room, but there was no light down there with the power off.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Tariq looks at Lori, confused.

"What is the pope? I have heard that German kitchen knives are inferior only to those from Japan and Switzerland, but most of the knives here are made in China. I think these bigs ones come from here in the U.S.A., though."

At the same time, Tariq is trying to picture the school's layout in his head, and plan the best route.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The Pope is the head of the Roman Catholic Church. One common phrase that means "Yes, of course" is "Is the Pope Catholic?". One twist on it that I've seen before is "Is the Pope Polish?" referring to the previous Pope. The current Pope is German, which is why I had [b]Lori[/b] phrase it the way she did. [b]Lori[/b] is a PC now, by the way, played by Imported_Goods. If you tell me where you want to go, I can let you know the quickest way to get there. I won't be able to post the map until this weekend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

(Yes, I knew that, thank you very much. However, I have also known many Muslim immigrants over the course of my life, and, yes, one of them has asked me that exact question when seeing something about the Pope on television. In many cases, immigrants are well-versed in what they percieve to be the main religion of their new homeland, but sometimes not much about the second most popular branch of Christianity. If I didn't understand that both people like the immigrants I've described and really stupid people both existed online without any way to tell them apart from everyone else, I would feel as if you insulted my intelligence, but I understand that there really was no way to know.)

"If only I was sure where I could find the principle...do you think he will be at his office, at the barricades, or somewhere else?" Tariq ponders, thinking that the person in charge will be at the center of the defenses and therefore the best defended.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Tariq[/b] has been living in America for well over 15 years, so it's likely he'd have heard about the Pope during that time, but I suppose it's possible he hasn't. Very nice way to characterize him, though! [b]Lori[/b]'s new player hasn't posted yet, but hopefully there'll be a post for her soon so you two can converse.
In the kitchen-
"He's probably in his office," said Amelia, "but he may have left when the lights went out. If we move quick, we can still find him. This way, you two." She went through the door back into the cafeteria's dining area.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Imported_Goods
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Imported_Goods »

OOC,Sorry I hadn't posted yet was just settling in and learning about my characters, basically playing catch up. Thanks again for letting us join.
Lori Desmond:

Lori follows Amelia Through the cafeteria area. "Come on Tariq, we might as stick together." As she is walking along, several paces behind Amelia she eyes the walls and ceiling of the room remembering her years in the school.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Tariq heads out into the cafeteria area as well, fidgeting with the knife in his hand.

"In his office? The lobby is bigger and central- that would be a good place for him to coordinate everything, and a good place for us to meet someone who knows more than we do."
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Tariq continues from the cafeteria into the hallway, headed for the lobby and hoping to see other people.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,No problem, Imported_Goods! As much as I enjoy running this game, it's the players' enjoyment that's the most important. You can't move that fast, [b]Tariq[/b]. It took all of the last round to move into and through the cafeteria. Now you'll be able to enter the hallway in the current round, but you'll have to wait until the round after that before you can actually arrive at the lobby. I'm keeping all of the Omaha threads in sync with each other so nobody gets further ahead in time than anyone else, which can cause all sorts of problems. Events are happening in other threads that may affect yours, and the opposite is also possible.
In the cafeteria-
The threesome crossed the deserted cafeteria, which remained just as they had left it - and just as dark. Sunlight was still coming in from the windows, and while it would only last for a few more hours, they knew that they didn't have that long if the power wasn't restored to the electric fence soon.

"This way," said Amelia. She opened the double doors leading out to the east hall and looked both ways. "Okay, we're clear. Let's go." She motioned for the others to follow and stepped out into the corridor.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Imported_Goods
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Imported_Goods »

Lori Desmond:

Lori continues moving at equal pace behind Amelia. "I hope that fence is back on soon."

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”