IC-GOLD-Cheyenne of the Dead(Everyone)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-GOLD-Cheyenne of the Dead(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On I-80 West-
Lt. Doolittle slammed on the brakes, but the car skidded badly and slammed sideways into a bunch of zombies. Unlike the trucks, the little Toyota wasn't very well-built, and it was heavily damaged. Everyone was wearing their seatbelts, and Hodges was very well braced. Even so, he was somewhat injured. Lt. Doolittle didn't fare too badly and got off with moderate cuts and bruises. Zorie Spooner, who was in the back seat, also was spared somewhat, but was still badly hurt in the crash. She blacked out.

Amanda skirted past the crash, following the other vehicles. Lisa slowed down as she passed the car, reaching across Colin with her leg to apply the brakes. "Get in the back of the pickup truck!" she called. "Hurry!"

Lt. Doolittle found that the car would not start up again. And the zombies she had bowled over were starting to rise...
OOC,[b]Lt. Doolittle[/b] and [b]Frank Hodges[/b], if you want to get out and try to carry [b]Zorie[/b] to the pickup truck, you don't need to roll anything to move her since you're working together and are strong enough. However, you should each give me a Dodge roll just in case you're attacked. If you want to try to revive her, roll First Aid and roll 1d3 for her recovered HP if you succeed, but that means neither of you is going anywhere this round. [b]Frank[/b], you may assume that [b]Lt. Doolittle[/b] will go along with whatever you suggest if her player doesn't post. Remember that your armor gives you a -10 penalty to Dodge rolls.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: What if Frank wanted to haul her out on his own?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Then make a Resistance Table roll of your STR vs. her SIZ. I believe you have STR 12 and she has SIZ 13, which would give you a 45% chance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Frank threw open the door and sprung into action, she slung his rifle across his sholder and yell to the truck that stopped: " Cover us!" Frank reached into the back seat of the car and with the help of Lt Doolittle, pull Spooner from the back seat of the vehicle. "Hurry! Lets get her to the truck" she said to her as the pulled her from the car.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On Otto Road-
David drove his truck down the exit ramp as it curved around to the right and passed under I-80. It soon let him onto Otto Road, heading southwest. Melinda and Keith were behind him, followed by Amanda on her Harley. She hurried to catch up to them. "The car crashed and stalled out up on the highway!" she called to them. "Colin's truck stopped nearby to try to rescue them!"

On I-80 West-
Lt. Doolittle and Frank Hodges removed their seatbelts and extracted themselves from the car, squeezing around the inflated airbags. They opened the back door and undid Zorie's belt - the fact that there had been no rear airbags had contributed greatly to the extent of her injuries. Then they grabbed her and raced for the pickup truck, but four zombies were already up and coming for them. They placed Zorie in the bed of the truck as their undead pursuers caught up with them. Three of them swarmed Doolittle, and the other went after Hodges. One of them tried to clamp its jaws on her as she scrambled into the back of the truck, but she nimbly leapt out of the way at the last second. Hodges was not so lucky - the fourth zombie came right for him, its arms about to encompass him in a deadly embrace.
OOC,[b]Frank Hodges[/b], I need two Dodge rolls from you. Remember that there is a -10 penalty to your Dodge because of your body armor, though it may save your life if you do get bitten. The first roll is for the zombie's Grapple attack, and the second is for the Bite attack, both of which were successful. If the first roll fails, you may attempt to counter with a Grapple roll of your own, again with a -10 penalty. The base skill is 25%, so this gives you a 15% chance. If the second roll fails, I'll allow you to quickly draw your knife and make a Knife roll to try to parry the bite, also with a -10 penalty.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Frank was startled by the quickness of the attacking zombie. He tried to dodge out of the way of it's grasp, but was [urlhttp://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1926271/] unable to. [/url] His eyes went wide with terror as the fiends teeth bore down on him. He quickly drew his knife and did his best to parry the blow.

OOC: Oh man! Poor Frank. I liked him!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On I-80 West-
The zombie seized Frank Hodges and tackled him to the asphalt. He almost avoided its gnashing teeth, but they nipped his right arm. "Hodges!" cried Lt. Doolittle as she aimed her pistol at the zombie's head and shot it twice, blowing its brains out.
OOC,I liked [b]Frank[/b] too; I used him as one of my characters on Urban Dead. That was rotten luck. If he'd been bitten in the chest or abdomen, his armor would have saved him after all, though without his helmet on a head hit would have gotten through. Roll Sanity for [b]Frank Hodges[/b] for realizing that he's doomed, with a Sanity loss of 0/1d10 (remember your bonus). At least you'll have a chance to play him a while longer. As long as you don't go temporarily insane, you can hop in the back of the truck now and [b]Lisa[/b] will pull out.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Mr Handy,Is Colin still insane or can he get out to join in the fight to save Frank and maybe take a few zombies down?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Colin Lewis,Yes, [b]Colin[/b] is still insane, and he will be for this round and three more. [b]Lt. Doolittle[/b] already took down the zombie that grabbed and bit [b]Frank[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: If only she could have killed the zombie before it attacked foor old Frank.

Frank was doomed, and he knew it. His tenuous grasp on his sanity failed him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Frank Hodges,You didn't roll 1d10 for you Sanity loss. As long as that's 4 or less, you won't go temporarily insane. Please roll, and then I'll let you know what happens. Unfortunately, [b]Doolittle[/b] couldn't attack it last round, as she was busy dodging a zombie herself. If the zombie had missed, or if [b]Frank[/b] had managed to dodge or parry it, he would have been all right.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

[Spoiler-Button]I predicted this roll before I rolled it[/Spoiler-Button]

The despair of being infected crushed Frank.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On I-80 West-
Frank Hodges looked around in utter shock and panic. "Come on!" shouted Rebecca Doolittle.
Frank Hodges,[b]Frank[/b] felt the ground tremble, and then the highway behind him burst asunder! Chunks of asphalt flew everywhere, and another giant worm emerged, its tentacles writhing. It squirmed toward him!
Without hesitation, Hodges jumped into the back of the pickup truck.

"Floor it!" screamed Lt. Doolittle. Lisa needed no prodding. She slammed on the accelerator, and the truck lurched forward. She steered around the converging zombies and onto the exit ramp, following the rest of the convoy.

On Otto Road-
The vehicles continued southwest on the road, away from I-80 and the death that the survivors had narrowly escaped up there. Looking in their rear-view mirrors, they saw with relief that Colin's pickup truck was behind them and catching up, though there was no sign of the car.

Colin Lewis began to calm down, and he was able to take over the wheel from Lisa. Coltrane was still screaming his head off. Hodges could already feel the burning sensation in his arm start to spread through his body. It had only been a small bite...but he was doomed all the same.
OOC,[b]Frank Hodges[/b], luckily you got the kind of temporary insanity that still allowed you to act. You may act freely now, though you are still suffering from the madness. You get to play on for a while longer and possibly live a few more hours, so you'll have a chance to prepare for death. [b]Colin Lewis[/b], your temporary insanity is over and you may now act freely. This update covers five combat rounds, so you're fine. Whoever posts here next, please make another Luck roll for the group, looking for 60% or less.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Frank sat in the back of the truck and quickly pulled out his med pack. He went to work bandaging his arm as quickly as he could.
"Son of a bitch!" he yelled. "I'm a gonner, but I will make damn sure that I don't hurt any of you and that I take as many of them out as I can before I go."
Last edited by ryansommer on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Frank Hodges,You can't see the worm any more. Once [b]Lisa[/b] drove away from it and onto the exit ramp, it was gone from your line of sight and hasn't shown itself again. You may want to edit.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Frank Hodges[/b], roll First Aid.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Colin came too and realized he was still alive. He quietly thanked Lisa as he took over control of the car. "I am sorry about back there." He got on his CB and informed the group that they were all right and were catching up soon. He was very careful about not revealing that Frank Hodges was wounded by the zombies cause he was not sure if the millitary was montering the CB radio network or not. As he drove he thought about the day and felt pretty lucky all and all.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Frank quickly and easily bandages his wounds.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On Otto Road-
The convoy slowed a little to allow Colin's crowded truck to catch up. David led the way southwest on Otto Road, which was clear of all obstructions, and there were thankfully no more zombies within sight. The ones on I-80 were no doubt pursuing them, but they had been left far behind. Dr. Owens sat in the seat beside him, a hand on his forehead. Behind the semi, Melinda and Keith followed in his pickup truck. Amanda was a short distance behind them. Colin Lewis brought up the rear in his truck.

"It's all right," said Lisa to Colin. "We've all been losing it today, but once we get to the base we'll finally be safe."

Coltrane was still screaming, but soon he started to calm down and come to his senses now that the immediate danger had passed.

Frank Hodges managed to bandage his arm easily enough with the medical kit that used to belong to Amy Janssen, but he knew the damage had been done. Lt. Doolittle sat beside Zorie Spooner and tried to do what she could for her, but her shaking hands caused more harm than good. "I'm no good at this," she said. "Maybe you can help her, Hodges. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone about your arm. You're coming with us, and I don't care what anyone else says."

Soon the vehicles reached the intersection with Roundtop Road, which went to the right. A smaller road went to the left, but it had been blocked off. David turned right, heading north on Roundtop toward Warren AFB.
Frank Hodges,You may continue acting normally. Maybe your insanity has passed...but maybe it hasn't.
OOC,[b]Frank Hodges[/b], you may attempt First Aid again on either yourself (for the injuries you sustained in the crash), [b]Lt. Doolittle[/b], or [b]Zorie Spooner[/b]. If you succeed, roll 1d3 to see how many HP are recovered. [b]Zorie[/b] will also awaken if you succeed with First Aid on her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

" I will do what I can," Frank said as he moved to Zorie and [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1932541/' attempted to bandage her wounds. [/url] "Damn!" he cursed. "No luck. Hopefully she can hang on until we reach the base."

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”