IC-GOLD-Cheyenne of the Dead(Everyone)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-GOLD-Cheyenne of the Dead(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 2:06 PM Mountain Time - Chalk Bluff Road, 4 miles south and 1 mile east of Cheyenne, Wyoming
On the road-
The small convoy of vehicles sped west on Chalk Bluff road, a few miles north of the Colorado border. David drove his truck at the front of the pack. Dr. Dale Owens sat in the shotgun seat, leaning back and trying to rest. He was sweating bullets now, and the pain was intense, but he had given himself an injection of morphine during the trip to ease it somewhat. He was still able to function for now, but he knew that he only had a couple of hours to live. The bite on his arm during his escape from the motel had sealed his fate.

Behind him, Melinda Christie followed, driving Keith Deeds's pickup truck. Keith sat beside her. Today had been hell for him. He had found Melinda, but then he had lost both his father and his brother to that immense worm that had ultimately caused the motel to fall. The fact that the monster was dead was little comfort to him, but at least his mother and Melinda had survived. After the truck came Lt. Rebecca Doolittle in the car she had hotwired in the motel's parking lot in the desperate escape. Airman Frank Hodges rode shotgun, and Zorie Spooner sat in the back seat. The Indian woman had been crying a lot. Lt. Angela Blanco had been more than just a colleague, she had been a friend and mentor, and now she was dead. Not just dead, but one of those inhuman things like the ones that had slain her. So many had fallen, and she hadn't been able to save them. She had been lucky to get out with her own life.

Amanda Deeds rode behind the car on her Harley Davidson. Sorrow gripped her as tightly as she gripped the handlebars. Her husband for well over 30 years was dead, and so was his son from his first marriage, Bill Black. Though he wasn't blood kin like her son Keith, she still had regarded him as her own son and his loss had hit her just as hard. She drew solace from the fact that Keith still lived, and hoped that he and Melinda would carry on the family. She was also relieved that Bill's girlfriend Lisa Crow had made it out, and she considered her a daughter.

Bringing up the rear was Colin Lewis in his pickup truck. His best friend Joe Soares had died back at the motel with the others, and he didn't know what he would do without him. His mind was almost gone, but he still clung tenaciously to what little sense he had left. Lisa sat next to him, and Senior Airman Roger Coltrane sat in the shotgun seat. He knew that his passengers and the rest of the group were counting on him to protect them.

"Breaker, breaker!" said David on the CB so that those in the other vehicles could hear him. "We're coming up on Route 85 in about a minute. It goes south to Colorado and north to Cheyenne. We can't go south, since there are no roads going west for quite a long ways and we're liable to run into more trouble if we take the long route, so we've got to head north. We'll be heading out of farm country and into the suburbs, so we can expect things to get hairy as we get closer to Cheyenne. Route 223 branches off to the west before we reach any really built-up areas. It's a slightly longer trip, but we could avoid the biggest suburbs and swing around to I-25, which goes right to Warren AFB. Alternatevely, we can take Route 85 north a few miles to Route 212 and take that west to I-25. It's quicker, but more dangerous."
OOC,The first person to post here should make a Luck roll, but for the entire group and not just your own character. Use the average Luck score of the entire group, which turns out to be 60%. Feel free to talk to each other until the next major update.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC-GOLD-Cheyenne of the Dead(Everyone)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Colin got on his radio and said, "I am voting for the less dangerouos part of the trip. Lets go Route 223 to I-25. "
He hoped he was right.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

"Roger that," said Keith into the CB radio. "We're all whipped and beaten back here Avoiding as much danger as we can sounds like the best plan. Over."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"well gang, I have been in this area before on construction gigs and I remember that route 223 is only 5 miles from I-85 to I-25 anyway so it should be a pretty nice ride."
fulcilives2003
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by fulcilives2003 »

"Whatever way is safest is the way I want."
so says I "The amazing man wonder"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"So lets do the safest route although what was safe yesterday may not be safe today remember. But i will protect you or die trying." said Colin.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-Don't speak of death-says Melinda Angry- let's just think in surviving and avoiding any danger, ok?
She then make a shy smile to Keith.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"well excuse me but it is hard to keep from speaking of when it is all around us." Colin said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"I agree," replied David on the CB. "We're taking 223, and it's more like 3 miles than 5 to I-25. From there it's another few miles or so to the base. Follow me. Over."

The convoy reached the end of Chalk Bluff Road, where it intersected with Route 85, also called South Greeley Highway. The road was clear in both directions. David turned right and led the way north.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin turned to follow David and the rest of the gang. He got on the radio, "David whom do you agree with?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"With all of you," said David. "Best to play it safe, even if it takes a little longer to get there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Keith got on the CB: "The safe route it is, we'll follow. There may be death al around us, by Melinda is right; we need to stay positive. We need our heads on straight for the fight ahead." After a pause: " We're right behind you, David."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"Good to hear," said David. "We're coming up on the turnoff now." He drove his big rig past a small road to the left, which he knew led to a dead end. A short distance beyond that was a bigger one: Route 223, also known as Terry Ranch Road. A gas station stood at the intersection on the east side of the road, but it and the entire area were deserted. He kept to the right side of the road and made a wide left turn onto Route 223, the other vehicles following along behind him. The area turned residential to the left as the convoy entered a housing development. A street branched off into it to the left, called Avenue B4. A short distance beyond that was Avenue B2. It was unknown why there was no Avenue B3. David drove on ahead. So far the survivors' luck had held out, and there was no sign of either life or unlife.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin kept a close eye on the mirror behind them to make sure nothing was following them. His actions were automatic as he roated from mirror to windshield and back again. In his mind he was replaying the time he first met Joe in Iraq and a tear trickled down from his eye.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the truck:

As they entered residential areas, Keith checked his rifle and made sure the ammo clip was full.

In the passenger seat of the car-

As he peered out the windows looking for trouble, Frank loaded a fresh magazine into his rifle and topped off the partially used magazine he had just ejected.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Keith saw that both his rifle and his pistol were both fully loaded.

Frank Hodges replaced his rifle magazine with a full one, but since that was the only partial magazine he had and he didn't have any loose rounds, he had nothing to top it off with. He also swapped his .45 pistol's magazine for a fresh one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
David continued to lead the way to the west. The convoy next passed Avenue B on the left and Winchester Hills Boulevard on the right, then several more short drives on the left that led to more homes. The whole neighborhood seemed completely deserted, and there was no movement whatsoever. Had the houses' occupants fled, or were they among the walking dead already? There was no way of knowing. Soon they passed Elmwood Avenue, which went to the right. Finally, they reached Line Avenue, which went in both directions. The houses thinned out, and after another half mile or so they were gone, leaving only desolation. To the left the edge of a large missile field, one of many in the vicinity of Warren AFB, was visible in the distance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin came out of his thoughts and kept his eyes on the road ahead.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: Does Frank know if there is a standard distress channel for the military on the CB radio? Civilians use channels 13 and 7 for the police monitored or other distress channels. Does the military do this? If not, does Frank know which channel range the AFB would be broadcasting to or was broadcasting on?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, [b]Frank[/b] knows which frequency Warren AFB uses, and you're now close enough to the base that you can probably contact it. [b]Lt. Doolittle[/b], [b]Roger Coltrane[/b], and [b]Zorie Spooner[/b] would know this frequency too. There's no need to use the CB, as your personal radios will do the job.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”