Page 1 of 1

OOC-Chapter 4-The Longest Day-General Discussion

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
This is the thread where we'll post anything that's completely Out Of Character, whether it's game-related questions that can be asked in public or simply out-of-game chatting. Anything that involves your characters' secrets or any information that you'd rather not share with everyone can be sent to me in a PM. You can also include OOC comments or questions in your In Character posts - just use the spoiler or spoiler-button tags. You'll see how to do it when I put instructions in the Rules and Guidelines thread or when you see me use it in the IC threads. You would do this if you want to say or ask something about what's going on in that particular thread.

Remember that if you're playing in this game, you are only allowed to read the threads that have your characters in them, and only the portions of those threads posted while your characters are present. The title of each IC post will indicate which characters are involved, and the Current Location thread also has this information along with a thread history, but you can ask here if you're uncertain which thread you're supposed to be in. When characters move between threads, I'll indicate which new threads they go to and post links in their old threads that you can follow.

I have a bit of time tonight, so I'm going to begin making initial posts for the IC threads. Once you see a thread with one of your characters in it, you can go ahead and read it, and then make a post when you're ready. There are still a couple of people I haven't heard from, but they can jump in at any time. Generally, you can only perform one major action between my major updates (participating in a combat round, moving from one location to another, and so on). However, you are usually free to carry out conversations with each other's characters and with NPCs that span multiple posts if I haven't done a major update yet. I will sometimes do minor updates where I show the results of one or more characters' rolls or have an NPC respond or react to something your character says or does. Characters who haven't acted yet can still do so, but if you've already acted you should only do simple actions like speaking until a major update is posted. If you're in the middle of combat your characters won't have time to go on chatting all day, of course. I'll let you know if you're in a non-combat situation where you have little time to speak.

I'm going to start with Sword (which only has one character), and then Gold. Well, let's get started! Have fun!

Re: OOC-Chapter 4-The Longest Day-General Discussion

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 pm
by ryansommer
It's good to have this start again!
Wow, it looks like I used up all of this chapters impale rolls for my skill checks. Just my dumb luck :)
Here are my skill checks:
Emily Montrose:
Emily wasa ble to increase three of her skills.
Psycology +8. Persuade +10 and Psycoanalysis +2

Sally the Traveling Nurse
What happens if I tie the skill in a skill check for increaing it? I rolled my dodge number exactly. Sally increases four, possibly 5 skills.
Psychoanalysis + 1, Listen +10, Spot Hidden +7, Medicine +1

Frank Hodges
Frank increses two of his skills
Spot Hidden +1, Hide +6

Keith Deeds
Keith was only able to increase one of his skills.
Spot Hidden +10

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back! I'll update your character sheets shortly. Rolling your skill exactly normally counts as a success, but when rolling for skill increases you need to fail the roll, so getting your skill exactly does not increase it, unfortunately. Sally's Dodge remains at 32, but on the bright side she does get that Psychoanalysis boost after rolling one higher than it. It's too bad that it only goes up by one point again, but you do have some good increases in there.

EDIT: Sally's Medicine score does not increase either, as the roll was much lower than her skill. You only rolled 1 for the increase anyway, so you're not missing out on much.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm
by ryansommer
I don't know what the heck I was looking at for the medicine roll. Sorry about that.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:24 pm
by Mr. Handy
No biggie, it's all sorted out now.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Mr Handy,
i have a quick question and this will allow me to learn how to use the spolier-button anyway.

So here we go:
Mr Handy,Colin Lewis went insane last time seeing the worm. He saw more horror in a hour then should be good for a person and so therefore there was going to be some penalty permanint insanty that was going to occur and that you were going to tell me about but you never did. So what is the insanity?
That is so COOL!

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, I love the new spoiler buttons. Everyone should use them.

For those characters who went indefinitely insane in Chapter 3, I'll be sending out details of the insanity in PMs along with the secrets for new characters.
Mr. Zombie killer,Yeah, Colin Lewis is very, very nuts. He's down to 11 Sanity, which is the lowest anyone has gotten in this game so far. He's not permanently insane (that happens when you hit 0 Sanity), but he is indefinitely insane and his mental illness will last for months, though it can be suppressed for a day by Psychoanalysis. Thanks for reminding me about the indefinite insanity. I had forgotten about it during the break between chapters.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:21 am
by Mr Zombie killer
darnit me and my big mouth! :P

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:12 pm
by Tabs
This is a practice.......[Spoiler-Button]Lookin' forward to starting in Omaha.[/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:14 pm
by Tabs
Try again
Hey!,OK

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm
by Tabs

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Tabs whiffs on the punching attempt and the zombie eats his fist then starts in on his brains. :P

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:25 pm
by Tabs
:oops:

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:28 pm
by Alex Tru
I never knew a dog could have such a large secret.
Alex Tru,Hey! Your not me your you! Unless you are me in which case continue on.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy
There are now threads up for all Omaha characters that are currently being played. I plan to get the others started at some point during the week, but that's when I have the least time. I also want to get a map of the school drawn up for everyone as soon as I can, but that will probably have to wait until next weekend, as will a major update for Omaha. Keep in mind that there's only so much you can do between major updates, especially in terms of movement from one place to another, but feel free to talk to other characters in your location in the meantime. Tonight I plan post another major update for Sword and Juno, but that's all I have time for right now. I hope you'll all be patient and bear with me. The pace will be a little slow starting out, but it should pick up as we get into the swing of things.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:38 am
by Mr Zombie killer
MR Handy,
After months of juggling life and being a keeper in a small game like Weekend, my hats off to you sir! 50+ characters? 20 or so different threads? Mein God man!
-steve

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 am
by beertender
I know im the newb around here, But yeah...damn...what zombie killer said..This is freaking awsome....great job.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! There are actually over 70 characters, though that number is highly likely to decrease... :twisted:

I did just make a post in Sudden Death Overtime describing what's there.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:59 pm
by kabukiman
It's good to be back in action! I hope to enjoy as much as the other chapter. I was tempted to play another dog (rof! rof!), but I will stay with 3 characters

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 pm
by Alex Tru
I don't know how you manage all the characters, threads and actions. It must be like writing a book. Great Job! :D
I noticed that you made a small typo in one of the thread titles. You wrote "IC-OMAHA-Schhol's Out Forever(Megan/Heather/Sunny)".

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:59 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, both of you! I fixed the typo. I proofread all of my posts before I submit them, but sometimes one slips through.

It is very complex and time-consuming to keep track of everything, and it is a lot like writing a book. I've been writing for a very long time and enjoy it greatly (I also submitted a short story for the Mythos fiction contest you might like). I'm glad all of this hard work is appreciated, and that you're having fun.

I'm going to try to do a major update for Omaha tonight, but I won't have much time to post on Tuesday night, so any further updates will probably not come until at least Wednesday night. I can't post when I'm at work, so during the week I'm usually only online in the evenings.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:26 am
by Tabs
At the risk of sounding sycophantic I agree with the previous comments, however I have zero experience at pbp so my view is not worth a lot. [Insert smilie]

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Tabs. Of course now you have a little more than zero experience at pbp, so your opinion is worth something after all! 8-)

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:55 pm
by Tabs
Hi all, I watched The Dark Knight yesterday evening, pretty good I thought; the Joker was menacing. I also watched The Mist recently and although I've not read the posts for ZA: Quickie Mart, they must be similar (exchange Mythos type monsters for zombies). Also damn fine film IMHO.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm
by ImpInTraining
I have also watched "The Mist" ... must say, it was as good as the short-story... although they added a bit to the movie to tie loose ends together. The way it ended was rather ... ironic?

And as for the Joker, yes... I have to agree. That was the best Joker I've ever seen in a Batman movie. Loved when he made the pencil disappear.

Oh... and I haven't said anything about Mr. Handy's story-handling quality just yet ... aside from the fact that I was purely amazed that he'd take it all on. It's a lot of work. But to do it all well, that deserves applause. However, I'm only reading my two threads, so unfortunately I can't provide an honest and earnest slap-on-the-back. However, I will say this. Mr. Handy, if you're doing as well with the other threads as you're doing with mine, then kudos to you my man.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks again, Imp! It is a lot of work, and unfortunately I haven't had all that much time this week and I'm falling behind on a bunch of stuff. It looks like a major update for the Omaha threads will have to wait until this weekend, but I should be able to start Adam Donnelly's thread tonight and update the other three sections.

I haven't seen either of those two movies yet, but I don't think the convenience store is quite the same as what I've heard about The Mist. I guess there's the impending darkness to shroud visibility and conceal threats instead of mist, but those threats will almost certainly turn out to be different - though they will include zombies, naturally.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:27 am
by Tangerine
Yeah, I'm very much enjoying this - Mr Handy really lives up to his name (are you omnipotent?) I find it hard enough to post my own replies based on what my characters know/see. Mr Handy has to do it for a bazillion different characters!

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Tangerine! No, I'm not omnipotent. It's not a bazillion characters, though, just 70-something. It is difficult keeping all of those perspectives straight. Just having a few characters is tough enough. The name Mr. Handy is that of a type of robot in the Fallout series of computer games, by the way - that's my username at No Mutants Allowed, where Zombie Apocalypse started.

Playing with only the limited knowledge and perceptions of your character is part of the challenge of the game. That's one improvement that's really set in since Chapter 3 started and I split things up into multiple threads. Not knowing what characters in other threads are doing (or even if they're still alive) really amps up the suspense.

I'm planning to update Juno tonight, but that's all I'll have time for. Omaha's update should come on Saturday, and hopefully the map will follow that shortly.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:12 am
by Mr Zombie killer
so no death thread this chapter?

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Oh, there will be...when someone dies. Nobody has died - yet.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:42 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
So why did you take the Chapter 3 death thread off the site or have a link to the Chapter 1 or 2? I personally liked reading your funny obits.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:25 pm
by Mr. Handy
The Chapter 3 Death Toll thread has not been deleted, I just moved it into the Chapter 3 subforum. I just made it a Sticky so that it's no longer buried down the page. The Chapter 1 and 2 Death Toll thread is still back on the old site.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:19 pm
by ImpInTraining
Ahhh! That's why Mr. Handy sounds so familiar. I love Fallout.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Me too. I've played Fallout 1 and 2. I have Tactics but haven't played it yet, but from what I hear it's nowhere near as deep as the regular games. I haven't played Fallout 3 yet. I know from everything I've seen about it that it isn't really true to the first two games and the game is lacking in general. I'll probably buy it and play it anyway when the price comes down and the bugs get patched, but I'm not shelling out $50 for it.

The first two chapters of Zombie Apocalypse are on No Mutants Allowed, a Fallout fansite. There are links in The Story So Far. Welsh and SuAside are also on that site. I've been taking part in a freeform Fallout RP on the Roleplaying Board there called Systematic Annihilation. It had stalled over the last year or so, but it should be picking up again soon.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:21 pm
by Alex Tru
I have only played Fallout 3 but from what I know your opinion is mostly correct. The biggest problem is that it is called Fallout. Still I find it fun.

I hope my posting has been alright so far.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, your posting has been good. I think you're right that the main problem with Fallout 3 is that it's called Fallout. If it were some other original post-apocalyptic game that Bethesda had cooked up, that would have been fine. If Bethesda had gotten people who worked on the first two Fallouts to make Fallout 3 and done it properly, they still would have gotten the hype and the high sales figures they ended up getting. People do like turn-based combat and isometric views (which can be 3-D with the ability to rotate and zoom). The Gamebryo engine is versatile enough that it can be used to make such a game very effectively, and in fact there's a best-selling game exactly like that - Civilization IV (which is true to the legacy of its predecssors while introducing innovations and better graphics).

With Fallout 3 such a financial success, there's no way Bethesda will give up their option on Fallout 4 and 5, and I wouldn't expect them to do those right either. The only hope for a game like Fallout is for a new spiritual successor to be made, much like Fallout itself was the spiritual successor to the classic Wasteland.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:46 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Hey I was on the original site as well Mr Handy and the site of that Christian roleplaying game which died out along time ago too.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you were there too (you registered there to play in this game), and so was Stompie, who has been absent for months. Regnum Dei got almost to the end of Episode II before the players dropped out. We could still continue if you want. The site where it was hosted went down temporarily, and several posts in the database were lost and could not be restored. I crossposted the story posts to another site once, but I haven't been able to find it yet. It's a shame, as I have some cool ideas for the Episode II finale and for Episode III.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:54 am
by Mr Zombie killer
well where would it be and who would play it since I think I am the only one left?

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
We could still play it on the same site. It's been back up again for quite some time. I'd just have to find and repost the story segments. If you're still in contact with the other players, you can try asking them if they still want to play. Even if they don't, it can still be played with one player. Of course, it wouldn't be any time soon. I have my hands full with a lot of things, and I've got plenty to catch up on.

I also won't be able to post the map tonight, unfortunately. I have it written down on paper, but there's no time to draw it in Paint, so that probably won't come until next weekend. Until then I'll try to describe the locations and how to get to where you want to go as best I can.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:54 am
by Tangerine
I got Fallout 1 and 2 from GOG.com - still haven't finished 1 yet (I have many pet-project-hobbies). Haven't played Fallout 3 as my computer's about 5 years old, and would melt just being near the CD :cry:

The map will be helpful! I'm still trying to think about what my characters now about the school, where stuff is they can use, and actions based on that - do any of them have a Bag of Holding with several Gun stores, food markets and military vehicles?

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:36 pm
by Alex Tru
Mr. Handy could you just take a picture of it then up load it to Photobucket or a similar site? That may be fastest and it could save you some time.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:17 am
by ImpInTraining
Well, I have Fallout 3... and I can see certain similarities. But I have to admit, it's more like Oblivion than one of the previous Fallout games. It's not exactly turn-based, but you can pause the combat once in a while to aim on on specific limbs and do some nasty critical damage.

It's a great game when all you want to do is wander about aimlessly and get your frustrations out on some muties or zombies.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy
Tangerine wrote:I got Fallout 1 and 2 from GOG.com - still haven't finished 1 yet (I have many pet-project-hobbies). Haven't played Fallout 3 as my computer's about 5 years old, and would melt just being near the CD :cry:

The map will be helpful! I'm still trying to think about what my characters now about the school, where stuff is they can use, and actions based on that - do any of them have a Bag of Holding with several Gun stores, food markets and military vehicles?
I know what it's like to be short on time, and it was a long time before I finished Fallout 1 (there was actually a gap of years in there, and I ended up starting over). My last computer is about 5 years old, but I got a new one last year that will run Fallout 3 with no problem. There are gun shops and food markets in Omaha, but good luck getting to them. There is a lot of food stored in the cafeteria's pantry. The closest thing to a military vehicle is Rachel's Hummer H2 parked out front. The military uses the equivalent of the larger H1, which is no longer manufactured for civilian use (primarily because people stopped buying them).
Alex Tru wrote:Mr. Handy could you just take a picture of it then up load it to Photobucket or a similar site? That may be fastest and it could save you some time.
Normally I could take a picture with my digital camera and upload it to Imageshack, but the picture I drew is just a rough draft and has a lot of cross-outs, revisions, and arrows pointing every which way. I'll have to redraw it anyway, so I might as well do it properly on the computer.

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 pm
by Iam477
Lauren Montrose Skill rolls
Sorry its taken so long hectic past month or so.
Spot hidden fail
url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1897194/]Mechanical Repair 20+4 (24)[/url]
Listen 25+10 (35)
Jump Roll xp 50+5 (55)
Throw xp roll 50+7 (57)
climb roll fail

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 pm
by ImpInTraining
Mr. Handy,

If you ever want a place online to draw a quick picture on the computer and save it to some web space, check out http://fundraw.com/ sometime. It's pretty cool. Even allows you to go back and edit your drawings.

Pretty handy if you have like an overhead view or floor plan already imaged out, you can upload it, then add in where everyone is standing. Nice for battle-mapping.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Iam477 wrote:Lauren Montrose Skill rolls
Sorry its taken so long hectic past month or so.
Spot hidden fail
Mechanical Repair 20+4 (24)
Listen 25+10 (35)
Jump Roll xp 50+5 (55)
Throw xp roll 50+7 (57)
climb roll fail
Don't worry about it, I've been really busy too. Those are some good rolls! I'll update Lauren's character sheet now.
ImpInTraining wrote:Mr. Handy,

If you ever want a place online to draw a quick picture on the computer and save it to some web space, check out http://fundraw.com/ sometime. It's pretty cool. Even allows you to go back and edit your drawings.

Pretty handy if you have like an overhead view or floor plan already imaged out, you can upload it, then add in where everyone is standing. Nice for battle-mapping.
Thanks, that does look helpful, though you have to register to use it and it looks like it has similar capabilities to Paint. Unfortunately, I simply don't have time during the week to draw the map, so it has to wait for the weekend. Luckily I have Monday off as well, so I should be able to get a lot done. We've got Visio at work, and I'm hoping to draw up a detailed floor plan using it during lunches and breaks, but there's no way that will be ready by Friday, so I'll probably draw it in Paint this weekend.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:22 pm
by ImpInTraining
Yeah, You do have to register, but it's free. It's better than paint because it keeps track of objects you draw, sort of puts them on their own levels so you can move things around easy. Can't do that in paint.

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy
I've just added six new character sheets to the Sword section. Their thread isn't up yet, but it should start in another week or so. See the Character Selection and Discussion for more details, and post there if you have an open slot and would like to play one.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
In case you didn't see it, I posted the maps to the school last night. They're in the Chapter 4 subforum, in the sticky thread called - wait for it - "Maps." :)

I intend to update all the Omaha threads Wednesday night. There are still a few people I'd like to get responses from before moving on, including our new player, Dreamer. Welcome to the game, Dreamer!

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:29 pm
by Tabs
Oooh, I like maps.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Mr Handy,
I was not sure where to put this but in the back of my mind I wonder....the creature that ate Jim, Alice, Mr. Foo, and others....is it still alive and just a huge blob in the basement of the motel or did it just hit the walls and implode?

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy
It was under the T-Bone, not the motel. As far as anyone knows it's still alive, as nobody killed it. The only person who witnessed it that is still alive is Sally, and she's got a lot more to worry about than that creature.

The new characters in Sword now have an IC thread. So far only Mei Ling has been claimed, but the other five are still available. Tabs, you can start posting for her any time you're ready.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 am
by Mr. Handy
In the news today, Austin, Texas was attacked by zombies:
Well, not really. It turns out a hacker changed the road signs: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/Road_signs_warn_of_zombies

Not everybody has posted up for Omaha yet. I won't be able to update it tonight or tomorrow night, but I plan to update all the sections by Saturday, so please make sure you post if you haven't already done so.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:08 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
I wish they'd do that where I lived.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:00 am
by Tabs
RIP Mei Ling.

Do I get any kudos for having the first death in Chapter 4? ;)

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:39 pm
by kabukiman
Wow!! That was fast!

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:42 pm
by Rorran
Mr. Handy wrote:In the news today, Austin, Texas was attacked by zombies:
Well, not really. It turns out a hacker changed the road signs: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/Road_signs_warn_of_zombies

Not everybody has posted up for Omaha yet. I won't be able to update it tonight or tomorrow night, but I plan to update all the sections by Saturday, so please make sure you post if you haven't already done so.
Read the article. It's pretty amusing...

Especially this part:
...speculation among the tech-savvy on the Internet is that the signs were inspired by the video game Call of Duty 5, World at War, which is the top game in the country right now and features "nazi zombies," or an upcoming movie about zombies called "Dead Snow..."
Don't you just love how people are so quick to blame video games and movies? :shock:

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Tell me about it! :roll: I guess the concept of people being responsible for their own actions never even occurred to them...

Congratulations on being the first fatality of Chapter 4, Tabs! Don't think of it as dying. Think of it as leaving early to beat the rush. :twisted:

This really isn't that early for a character death. It's already been over a month, though it's true that this character was only added a couple of weeks ago. Those of you who were here in Chapter 3 might remember the helicopter crash that killed three characters (plus two throwaway NPCs who didn't even merit character sheets), including one PC. That happened almost right out of the gate.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Yes Mr Handy we are all proud of your ability to make up 600 characters and then kill 583 of them by the end of the chapter. :D :) ;) :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:
But on a lighter side I am surprised that it has been a month and that no one died until now and that that person died through thier own fault instead of say a zombie eating their head. Of course unless the killer shot Tabs in the head Mi Ling may be coming back for an encore. :twisted:

Oh and also Mr. Handy when you have time it does not appear that anyone will be posting up in my last game anymore so can you place it in the hall of fame for me?
-steve

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
Actually, most of the character deaths have been due to human action (or inaction) on some level. The fatal shot was to Mei Ling's heart, but the killer can still put a bullet in her head.

I moved Weekend in the Country to the Hall of Fame.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:58 am
by Tabs
Now I feel that I owe it to Mei's fellow prisoners to help free them and consequently I will go back to the cell block as Zoe Gallagher.

Hitch didn't kick the bucket? Hopefully the chance will come to give him a good boot.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
thank you.
Tabs I have my eye on helping you out sometime once one of my characters bite the dust.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:02 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome.

Mei Ling didn't notice that Hitch survived because her player just assumed he was dead. That Spot Hidden roll was to see if she noticed he was still breathing.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:41 pm
by Tabs
Mr Zombie Killer, you had better join the prisoners soon, at the rate they are expiring under my stewardship there shan't be any girls left.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
Only one of them is dead, and the others haven't even been injured yet. I'm sure you've learned from your mistakes as Mei Ling, and you'll do better this time around. Nice picture for Zoe! I've already put it on her character sheet. I'll let you know when she wakes up.

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:07 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Quick Question.
This really does not have to do anything with the game per say but I was wondering: it used to be before yesterday that when I logged in I could check keep me logged in and I would not have to reenter my user name and password everytime I came back here. Now for some reason that check box is gone when I log in and so everytime I come back I have to enter in the info and it kind of aggrevites me. So I was just wondering why that box got removed?

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
I don't know, but it might have something to do with the fact that the site was moved to a new server yesterday. That's also probably why the times on this site are now about 15 minutes too early.

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:06 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
So you are saying that they will fix it by and by? cool it just kind of annoyed me that everytime I came back to the site I had to enter in my user name and password. I mean usually I have to do that every week or 10 days but not every hour or so you know?

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:10 pm
by ImpInTraining
I really don't see how a new server would cause that to happen. The php software looks for the cookie file on the user's computer and that is how it tells if someone has been logged in, or needs to log in. As long as the software is the same before and after the move, then there really shouldn't have been any impact on our state of being logged in.

Seems more to me to be a case of a configuration change.

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:19 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, when they set it up on the new server the configuration settings may have been different. I'm not familiar enough with phpBB to know what they did. I don't know when they'll fix it. I always log on manually every time myself, so I didn't notice any difference there.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:43 pm
by Tangerine
Did you change your security settings for your internet browser?

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:08 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
I did not make any changes on my internet browser.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:41 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
It came back. That was weird.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:53 am
by ImpInTraining
That was because someone complained in The Lounge to carnage_lee and he waved his magic wand to fix it.

http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=1755

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:36 pm
by kabukiman
I bet I'm the first to post in 2 days :lol:
I hope this problems is solved quickly. I need my daily dose of CoC. Actually, several doses.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:36 pm
by ImpInTraining
Wasn't it just the link between America and UK that caused the site outage? I don't think the Brits were bothered at all by the down time. But this is the first time in 2 days for me too...

Whoops, my bad. I just saw the note from the admin saying it was a bad router.

Huh, and someone from my site said they logged in yesterday and made an account. I wonder how?

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy
Maybe they meant yog-sothoth.com instead?

Well, we're back up and running! At last the stars are right and eldritch horrors from distant aeons are free to ravage the Earth and make it their own once more. I had planned to update on Wednesday, but it'll have to be tonight instead. If I can't finish all the sections tonight, I should be able to get the rest tomorrow. Plus, it's a 3-day weekend for me, so it's likely there will be further updates. I may also have more time for the rest of next week than I usually do.

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:16 am
by Dave Syrinx
Good thing I´ve got some other games at various sites :o . All these attempts to access ...org.uk cost me 2/1d6 SAN loss!
Whatever happened to @yog??? Is my keyboard broken? Did I mistype? Did FRA shut it down? WHAT!?

Great to see you´re all still here :D .
Probably it´s all for the best, a natural 01 at the castle, gives me high hopes for the future!

Over and out, Syrinx

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
The router failed. Carnage_lee posted an announcement about it when the site came back up.

Excellent roll! With that result, Emilio will do the work of three people, shortening the time needed to repair the generator considerably and probably saving several lives as a result.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:51 pm
by Tabs
Did something Lovecraftian occur with my e-mail? I rely on the check box to notify me of a new post and yet for ZA I have not received them, and so I have not posted for several days.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
I never relied on that (I check this site far more often than I check my email), but I've heard that other people have had similar problems. I'm not sure why it happens, and I don't know if the recent downtime was a factor, but you should check the board manually at least once a day just to be safe.

I do want to update Omaha, but some players haven't posted yet. I don't know if some of them don't know the board is back up or not. Still others appear to have simply abandoned the game, which happens, but it would be nice if they would say they're leaving so I don't keep waiting for them to post.

You'll also be happy to know that Zoe will be waking up in a couple of rounds.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 am
by Dave Syrinx
My experience is that when new threads are created, the email bails out on occasion, not always. As Mr Handy, I can´t keep away from the board itself... Got to see if something changed! The days of downtime were like a power failure :D
Make sure you subscribe to the threads you´re in and check your profile that they are logged.

In case you need extra help keeping track on sites where you play, I use http://www.changedetection.com/login.html to get warnings if something happens. Works great for me.

Cheers!

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 am
by Mr. Handy
That's a good point, as you can't subscribe to threads that don't exist yet, but I haven't added any new threads in a while. Even when I do, I always post in the character's old thread with a link to the new one afterwards, so if you subscribed to the old thread you should still get a message if everything works right. RSS feeds are also good for keeping you updated, I've heard.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:05 pm
by ImpInTraining
Not all servers support the emailing functions required to notify people of new posts. Since they changed routers, that may be the case, or they could be using a new password and need to update the software accordingly.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 am
by Pentadragon
I have a feeling something very interesting is going to be happening in Omaha. Assuming Vice Principal Sharon Kaplan lives, I have some interesting plans for her...

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Something interesting about to happen in Omaha? Whatever gave you that idea? :twisted:

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:22 am
by Pentadragon
Oh dear, that is a very bad sign... Although, death does make everything better. I assume that if we are zombified we cannot continue playing our characters.

It is a pity that the Vice Principal is not genre savvy. You never go off alone in a horror film, ever.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy
No, I've been running all the zombies, including former PCs. I am tempted to allow it, though. Zombies are mindless, so there won't be any decision making involved. You'd just seek out the closest prey and roll dice if you ever got close enough to attack. Laraqua allowed a player to control one of her characters after she got taken over by parasites and turned into a monster in her game Ash, and that was a lot of fun (even though one of my characters got attacked).

Of course, Sharon isn't alone. There are a few other people near her. And Miguel is going to the security office too. You know, the guy who said "I'll be right back!" Nothing bad could possibly happen around him, right? :twisted:

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:03 am
by Pentadragon
I once made a list of rules about horror movies. It included things like "Not investigating the source of the strange sound", "Not splitting up", "Not going into darkened basements" and "Not tempting fate"

I wonder where it is...

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:11 am
by ImpInTraining
Yeah, don't have sex, don't do drugs, don't act like a total ass, and never say "I'll be right back!"

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:14 am
by Mr Zombie killer
What no sex! Dang I guess there goes Darnell's plan in the libary!

Hey Mr Handy that would be fun if we could control our zombified characters. It would give you less to do after all. It could even be a spin off of the game...Zombie Apocalyse 2: Zombies Take Over!

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
It would be pretty boring if everybody played zombies - especially once you either run out of humans to eat or they put a bullet in your brain or something. Allowing players to control zombified characters might actually give me more to do, as it would make combat more complicated than it already is, but it could still be fun.

Yeah, that's the thing about plans. Usually they don't work out quite like you expect.

It's funny, but characters have broken or been about to break every one of those rules, and that's just so far in this chapter. No wonder they keep dying! :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:23 am
by Pentadragon
Ah, here it is. I must admit that it is of a lesser quality than I remember. This may or may not be due to the fact that I did it on a differant forum over one and a half years ago.

1.) When it appears that you have killed the monster, never check to see if it's really dead.
2.) Never read a book of demon summoning aloud, even as a joke.
3.)Do not search the basement, especially if the power has gone out.
4.) If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language which they should not know, shoot them immediately. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. However, it will probably take several rounds to kill them, so be prepared. This also applies to kids who speak with somebody else's voice.
5.) When you have the benefit of numbers, never pair off and go alone.
6.) As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.
7.) Never stand in, on, or above a grave, tomb, or crypt. This would apply to any other house of the dead as well.
8.) If you're searching for something which caused a loud noise and find out that it's just the at/dog/mouse/whatever, get the hell out.
9.) If appliances start operating by themselves, do not check for short circuits. Leave the area immediately
10.) Do not take anything from the dead.
11.) If you find a town which looks deserted, there's probably a good reason for it.
12.) Don't stop and look around.
13.) Don't fool with recombinant DNA technology unless you're sure you know what you're doing.
14.) If you're running from the monster, expect to trip or fall down at least twice, more if you are of the female persuasion. Also note that, despite the fact that you are running and the monster is merely shambling along, it's still moving fast enough to catch up with you.
15.) If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic behavior such as hissing, fascination for blood, glowing eyes, increasing hairiness, and so on, kill them immediately.
16.) Stay away from certain geographical locations, some of which are listed here:
Amityville
Elm Street
Transylvania
Nilbog (you're in trouble if you recognize this one)
anywhere in Texas where chainsaws are sold
the Bermuda Triangle
any small town in Maine
17.)If your car runs out of gas at night on a lonely road, do not go to the nearby deserted-looking house to phone for help.
18.) If you think that it is strange you ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere because you thought you had most of a tank shoot yourself instead. You are going to die anyway, and most likely be eaten.
19.) Beware of strangers bearing strange tools. For example:
chainsaws
staple guns
hedge trimmers
electric carving knives
combines
lawnmowers
butane torches
soldering irons
band saws
any devices made from deceased companions. (see rule 10)
20.) If you find that your house is built upon a cemetery, now is the time to move in with the in-laws. This also applies to houses that had previous inhabitants who went mad or committed suicide or died in some horrible fashion, or had inhabitants who performed satanic practices in your house.
21.) If you have just smoked dope, gotten drunk with a bunch of stupid frat boys or, especially, just had sex, you are as good as dead, so just kiss it good-bye!
22.) Never say "I'll be right back." You won't be back. Really, its just tempting fate.
23.) The thing you were just dared to do ill get you killed. Do not do it.
24.) Don't fall asleep or take a shower
25.) Avoid hitchhikers
26.) Don't contact the authorities. They are either deceased, not going to believe you, or somehow working for the killer
27.) Don't act so skeptical when someone tells you about a curse. It is a sure sign you are one of the first to go.
28.) Always be nice to the shy, quiet, unpopular kid in school because this lessens your chance of being targeted.
29.) Nailing doors and windows shut with wood, is a waste of time, so don't try it
30.) Don't disregard odd scars on a stranger's body
31.) Don't unmask the killer. What you will find is more gruesome and horrifing than you can imagine.
32.) Messages on mirrors need to be taken seriously
33.) Avoid being the practical joker
34.) Never listen to music that contains staccato shrieking violins.
35.) Do not keep all your sharpened kitchen knives in one of those wooden block thingies on your worksurface.
36.) Never back out of one room into another without looking. It's always behind you.
37.) If you are being chased, never lean against the wall when you think you lost him. He'll just pop through and kill you.
38.) Same goes for leaning against the window.
39.) Never let someone hypnotize you at a party.
40.) If you sense something is behind you, don't bother turning around to check. Just run.
41.) If someone tells you to do or not to something. You will do the opposite of what they said and most likely die
42.) Never go back for anything you lost
43.) Never buy your kid a toy that talks back
44.) Never watch a horror movie.
45.) Never EVER play with any Ouijia board that you find in the basement of your newly bought, run-down house.
46.) If you are running away from the killer/monster, don't even try to start the car. It doesn't matter if the car is brand new, it won't start.
47.) If you hear a strange noise coming from upstairs that sounds similar to, oh let's say an inhuman screech, don't go trying to find out what it is.
48.) Never wait until you NEED the gun to check and see if it's loaded.
49.) If the killer is standing three feet in front of you, don't just stand there and scream while he comes running towards you. It may comes as a shock, but he DOES in fact want to kill you.
50.) If you have to stay out in the woods or at camp you're pretty much screwed. But at least you'll have a fighting chance in the cabin. Never EVER take the tent.
51.) Don't ever make a documentary.
52.) Never transport the killer in an ambulance from one place to another. Even if they've been in a coma for 10 years, they'll wake up.
53.) Never say "Who's there?" The answer you recieve will not lighten your mood in the slightest.
54.) Don't turn up the volume on ANYTHING.
55.) If you live in a rural city in Maine, especially Derry, you might as well kill yourself. Be it a shapeshifting clown, a demon posing as a shopkeeper, or even a dog, you are going to die by some randomly picked object or person turned evil. Your only hope is to try and match or beat the kill count of the antagonist/s, and worm your way into notoriety. You'll still die, it'll just take longer.
56.) Avoid all rooms with flickering lights, this is almost certainly the part where you get splattered.
57.) Remember, thinking you are one step ahead of the bad guys just means you are 3 steps behind.
58.) Dont go to places some serial killer died and joke about him coming back... he will
59.) Never publicly announce your plans for the future if you make it out alive. It guarantees that you have no future.
60.) Never quietly investigate a dark room slowly, and then move TOWARDS the thing in the corner that looks scary, but sounds scared/helpless. Just get the hell out, or it will suddenly snarl and kill you.
61.) if your loved ones are dead, dont try to change that fact
62.) There is no logical explination so stop looking for one
63.) Stay away from static filled TV's
64.) When the monster is RIGHT in front of you and you find a gun lying around, don't bother trying to shoot it. Either it will be empty or it won't stop it. Either way you're screwed
Don't try to cheat death.
65.) If the lights won't turn on don't go into the room.
66.) If there is a house where creepy stuff happens in every room but one, STAY IN THAT ONE ROOM!
67.) Don't play video games you shouldn't have
68.) Avoid little girls who enjoy singin nursery rhymes very slowly.
69.) Don't have a girlfriend, in the end you will end up doing something stupid like sacrificing yourself to save her, or she will accidentally cause your demise
70.) Don't go to the Tanning Salon
71.) the mysterious person assisting you in your struggle for survival is either probably the villan or leading you into his/her hands (intentionally or not.)
72.) If a tree is falling on you, step 5 feet to the side instead of running in the direction of the fall.
73.) Don't run UP the stairs to get away from the bad guy. Really, where are you suppose to run to?
74.) Never, EVER scream the only thing it will do is give the killer some satisfaction before destroying/torturing you.
75.) When the guy says "You can run but you can't hide" he is serious, he/she/it WILL find you
76.) Shortcuts will never be of any use whatsoever. Avoid them at all cost.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 am
by kabukiman
Never go to a WC alone. Never use a public shower. When taking a bath, don't close the curtains. Don't bring you little sister (she will kill you or you will die protecting here).

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:47 am
by Mr Zombie killer
I have learned that I and most of this board are serverly warped!

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 pm
by ImpInTraining
That's a pretty good list. What about the rule ... "If it gives chase, don't bother running from it. It always catches up or meets you up the path a ways."

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:11 pm
by Pentadragon
ImpInTraining wrote:That's a pretty good list. What about the rule ... "If it gives chase, don't bother running from it. It always catches up or meets you up the path a ways."
I think its covered by rule 14. I find it rather interesting that many of these have been broken in this chapter alone.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:16 am
by Mr. Handy
At this point I'll officially declare fulcilives2003, yellowsigh, Alex Tru, and Dreamer MIA. Their characters are now considered abandoned and are free to be taken by anyone. If their players return and their characters are still unclaimed and have neither died nor gone permanently insane, then they may resume playing their characters at that point. Lt. Rebecca Doolittle and Kyle Perkins were introduced in Chapter 3, so there's some extra reading involved to catch up on their backstories (much less so for Kyle Perkins, who was added late in Chapter 3). The other characters were added at the start of Chapter 4: Enrico Santini, Kyle Rogers, Elijah Smith, and Murray. Imported_Goods has also withdrawn, so Ho Nguyen (in Juno), Doug Marley, and Lori Desmond are now available as well.

I intend to update Omaha this weekend, on Sunday at the very latest. If you haven't posted for your character(s) in Omaha yet, please do so. Otherwise events will move forward regardless.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:03 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Mr Handy,
You mean free to be taken by anyone as long as you have less then the 4 total right?
-steve

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that's right. Four characters is still the limit.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:51 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
So I sense that rule Number 8 above will be soon broken by the group in the gym. really Mr. Handy how is it that you have such patience and no huge number of deaths yet? You waiting for all the rules to be broken?

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
No, I'm just waiting for one or two players to post so I can update. Or for tomorrow, whichever comes first. Then the carnage can begin at last...Mwahahahahahaha! :twisted:

Actually, Zombie Apocalypse is all about patience, considering how slowly it moves in real time. Remember, the game has been going on for two years and eight months, but we're still on the first day of the game. I've long been a very patient person, and besides, it's so much more fun to ratchet up the tension and suspense before all hell breaks loose.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:09 am
by Squidcorp
Uh, I just want to say hello everyone. Nice to meet you, and I hope & trust that my characters will outlive all of yours.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:35 am
by Tangerine
Do you often moon fate that way? :P

Hello, to you too!

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:22 am
by ImpInTraining
Yes... welcome, fresh meat. Good luck with living and all that.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 am
by Squidcorp
Image ;)

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:17 am
by kabukiman
Yes, we need another meat shield to preserve our own characters! :lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:20 pm
by kabukiman
Just bought a pack with the trilogy of broken sword. Nothing like a good point anc click adventure! I'm in the first game and enjoying it.

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:04 pm
by Tabs
I remember playing Broken Sword 1 on the Playstation 10 years ago; that goat who headbutts (George?) at the back of the pub was a real pain though.

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:00 pm
by kabukiman
I'm still in Paris, in the museum. I have a lot to research.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy
I love the Broken Sword games! I have the first three for my PC (purchased individually), but it's been years since I played them. I never saw the second one in the U.S., but I found and bought it during my first trip to London in 2000. Be warned about the third one (The Sleeping Dragon): the PC version of it contains Starforce, which is malware that purports to be copy protection and can mess up your computer.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:11 pm
by Tabs
Now I have bid at Ebay for Broken Sword 4 - see what you started kabukiman.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:52 pm
by kabukiman
I saw broken sword 4 in a store for 10 euros (the same price as the pack of the other 3), but didn't buy it, I think I have already enouth material.
Thanks Mr Handy! Anywhay to solve that problem?

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
Here is a link to the wikipedia page about Starforce. The links in the references section include links to lists of games that use it (so you can avoid them) and links to removal tools that will get rid of it. Note that each time you install a game with Starforce, it'll be put back on and the tool will need to be used again after uninstalling the game. Your computer will still be vulnerable in the meantime, so don't install any of those games on your primary computer (or any computer connected to the Internet). If you want to play one, you should put it on an old computer.

Actually, you're in luck. According to the list, only the U.S. version of Broken Sword 3 uses Starforce. The European version is free of it.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:28 pm
by kabukiman
Glad to hear it! Because the pack was a dvd with the 3 games so they were the 3 instaled at the same time (with the bonus of beneath of a steel sky).
Is it worth to pay the 10 euros for broken sword 4? I doubt that they will be crowds who will be interested to buy the 2 or 3 copies of the store, but you never know...

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
It sounds worth it to me, if it's anything like the first three! I've never even seen the fourth one. Beneath a Steel Sky is another great point-and-click adventure. I bought it for $20 a long time ago and have played it numerous times, but it can now legally be downloaded for free.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:39 pm
by kabukiman
Well, most games they sell is mainstream games (world of warcraft, Left 4 dead), but some times some jewels appears at cheap price.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:49 pm
by Mr. Handy
One thing I've learned from years of buying games is that those jewels don't stick around forever. I wait for new games' prices to come down to something reasonable, but older games may disappear off the shelves entirely and never be seen again. I've bought many games that I'll probably never find again even though I don't have time to play them yet, because by the time I do have time, I'd have missed my chance. I've also missed out on some games because I waited for the price to drop for too long, or because my computer wasn't good enough to play them and I was waiting until I got one that could (Dark Corners of the Earth, for instance). This is even more of a concern lately with PC games, as many stores are devoting more shelf space to console games and less to PC games - and some stores no longer even carry PC games at all! I wouldn't wait too long to buy that one. I know I'd buy it if I saw it.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:24 pm
by kabukiman
Well, thanks for the advice, if I find time to go to the store again, I will buy it.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:58 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
it is good to hear that there are other nerds out there and that I am one of a small but thriving community. Thanks to everyone for making me feel a part of something special.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy
I just added nine new character sheets to the Gold section. The details for choosing one are in the Character Selection and Discussion thread in the main forum. This will probably be the last bunch of characters added for quite some time. There are so many characters in the game already that it would be too much to manage. Maybe after a whole lot of characters get killed off...

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 am
by Tabs
Regarding: Mythos Fiction Contest.

I had guessed one of them was yours because you had not commented! (I thought it was Miskatonic Moon.)

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy
I did mention on another forum here back in October that I was planning on writing an interactive story for the contest, but that was probably a private one. You're right, that's why I haven't commented yet. I'll probably respond to the comments on my story this weekend, provided the threads for doing so are created.

I'm not going to be able to update Omaha tonight, as I haven't slept much in a week. There are also a few players who haven't posted yet, so this will give them one more chance to do something before...well, I don't want to give anything away. :twisted:

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 pm
by ImpInTraining
I hate to do this to ya, Mr. Handy... what with your zillions of NPCs already at your command... but I am taking vacation from the 7th through the 15th of this month. That means I'll need you to either NPC William and Donald while I'm gone, or feed them to the masses. Whichever is easier for you. ;)

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy
No problem, I'll NPC your characters while you're gone. I think you mean Marcus Williams, not William. If you have any instructions for what you want your characters to do while you're gone, you can just post them here. Donald will be repairing the generator for a while longer, so he'll be busy anyway. Nothing is close enough to your characters to eat them before you get back, so you don't have to worry about that.

I got even less sleep last night, so I won't be able to update Omaha tonight. The players I was waiting for haven't posted yet anyway, so this gives them one last chance. The update is coming tomorrow night no matter what, but I hope to be able to update the other sections tonight, at least.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:07 am
by ImpInTraining
Ok, cool.

I think Marcus (yeah, that's what I meant...) he'll take some time making sure that the bottom floor is fortified, piling stuff up against the shelves in place to keep them from being easily toppled over.

Donald ... well, he'll be fixing ... and after that, he'll try to figure out what had caused the power surge.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Actually, Emilio already figured that out and told you. With that natural 1 he rolled, he found out everything there was to know.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:16 pm
by El_Anatomista
Hi everyone. Presenting myself and anouncing that im taking over Lori Desmon.

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Cheers, EL! Welcome to the carnage :) .
Stay alive! Don´t let your guard down...And, be careful out there!

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 pm
by Tabs
Hey El_Anatomista, if you feel like it, use the photo of Lori in your posts.... Oh, and welcome too!

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, welcome!

I won't have time tonight to get the new characters in Gold started, but I hope I can get their threads up Monday night.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:35 pm
by Anatomist
Had some bug with my account so i had to create this new one. I wasnt able to upload a avatar... Well it should be solved now.

-Anatomist

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:06 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Did you try to get the password sent to you again? I can see and PM your last account...

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:52 pm
by Pentadragon
I think things are about to hit the fan in Omaha. Fun Business.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
Gee, whatever gave you that idea? :lol:

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 pm
by kabukiman
This weekend I'm in a small trip with my family and should only return monday.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy
Have fun!

I'm starting up threads for the new characters in Gold tonight. They should start to appear over the next hour or so.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:29 am
by ImpInTraining
Mr. Handy wrote:Actually, Emilio already figured that out and told you. With that natural 1 he rolled, he found out everything there was to know.
Well, maybe he did... but it wasn't in any posts I read. Do we just assume he did? Or did I miss something? I see where he rolled the 1 and the following post, but nothing after that explains what caused the power surge. In fact, it would be kind of hard to tell that sort of thing exactly from a power room. We might be able to tell from blown fuses what cirucit had the excessive current draw... but aside from that, without actually being at the location where the fuse supplies the power... you'd need a crystal ball or something.

But hey... no matter. If Emilio is all that with a roll of 1, cool. Just tell me what caused the power surge so I know since apparently Donald already knows.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy
I had thought Emilio had told everyone else, but it's possible he didn't. I don't see why he'd keep it back, so you can assume you know. Anyway, the source of the power surge was definitely the line supplying power to electrify the fence. A spike in demand caused it, combined with the fact that the generator's parts were old and in need of replacement (which is part of what you're doing now).

EDIT: I looked back at the older posts, but now I can see that I never did mention that to Emilio, but I should have.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 am
by Dave Syrinx
I read that the worktime should be halved due to the 1 roll. That´s why Emilio went on and pointed out what was wrong with the generator and got busy with removing the sewer cover.
"Yeah...", Emilio gets busy prodding and tweaking the cables and coatings, watching out for scorched elements and fuses. Process.... After the survey he suggests to Chuck how to fix the generator the fastest way - even though only temporary - the speed is more important than the durability, something that he remembers Becky keeps as a guide line when repairing cars.
I found no explanation just the fact that the progress was bunked a lot later on. I assumed the 1 was what it took to fix the generator and only wrote that Emilio suggested what to do.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:55 pm
by ImpInTraining
Ok... I'm clear now. Look in the thread for in-character thoughts on how to handle the situation.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 am
by Mr. Handy
Syrinx wrote:I read that the worktime should be halved due to the 1 roll. That´s why Emilio went on and pointed out what was wrong with the generator and got busy with removing the sewer cover.
"Yeah...", Emilio gets busy prodding and tweaking the cables and coatings, watching out for scorched elements and fuses. Process.... After the survey he suggests to Chuck how to fix the generator the fastest way - even though only temporary - the speed is more important than the durability, something that he remembers Becky keeps as a guide line when repairing cars.
I found no explanation just the fact that the progress was bunked a lot later on. I assumed the 1 was what it took to fix the generator and only wrote that Emilio suggested what to do.
The natural 1 on your roll actually means that Emilio does the work of 3 people - but he has to actually be working the whole time! I allowed him to pause and open the sewer hatch and the door, but anything that requires more than a few seconds of interruption will have to wait. Since only 4 people can work on the generator at a time given the space available, this allows the four of you to do the work of six people and thus repair the generator in ten minutes instead of the fifteen minutes it would take four people normally. Saving those five minutes may be very crucial!

Your 1 also gives you deep insight into the cause of the generator failing in the first place, only I forgot to actually tell you in the IC thread! That's why I'm telling you here. Part of the repair process will be to incorporate surge protection to prevent it from happening again. I did mention in response to Donald's successful Electrical Repair roll that it seemed to be a spike in demand for electricity and that it was probably due to a lot of zombies hitting the fence all at once, but Emilio's roll allows him to confirm that hypothesis.

Now that Tangerine has returned, I'll wait another day or so before updating Omaha in the hopes of getting posts for Megan, Kate, and Dr. Singh. I won't be able to do it tonight anyway.

Also, welcome back to Laraqua, who will be adding a new character in Juno and bringing a new player with her!

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
Laraqua will be playing Katarina Iliescu in Sword and Cynthia Louise in Juno, but she will no longer be playing Dr. Hausmann, who remains an NPC. We have a new player, Raziel, who will be taking over Helen Stafford in Juno. Once they've posted for their characters, I will update Sword and Juno. I will also update Omaha no later than Sunday. I've been waiting for Pentadragon, who hasn't been on the board since last Sunday, to post in Sword and Omaha, but I guess a lot of people are busy since Spring Break is around this time.

Glyph is supposed to be playing Lt. Oscar Gomez in Gold, but has not yet posted for some reason. I see that glyph did log onto the board yesterday, so I'll give the player some more time to join in. The other new characters in Gold are still available as well.

Other players are now officially MIA or soon will be, and their characters will once again be available. Incris has not been on the board in over a month, so Amelia Delacroix and Dr. Liz Somerville are once again up for grabs. In the meantime they'll be NPCs. Beertender has been absent from the board for 18 days and hasn't posted for either Richard Saxon or Ron Moore since February, so I'm getting ready to release those characters. I'll give it one more week.

If anyone is interested, I'm thinking of starting up a new game called Space Oddity eventually with parallel investigations in 1969 and 2009. It could start soon if I get enough interest, as I have a week off from work coming up, but it might have to wait until Chapter 4 concludes so I can use the break between that and Chapter 5 to get things going. Most of the work I'll need to do for the new game would be early on, and once it starts rolling it shouldn't require too much time to keep it moving. The link is here: http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... =39&t=1818

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:58 am
by kabukiman
Just received Arkhan horror and the Dunwitch expansion. Now time to read it, and then I can play it at solo :?

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy
Great! I'm sure you'll love it. I bought them almost a year and a half ago, and there are always new surprises (especially if you refrain from reading the cards until you draw them in the game). I don't think you'll ever get tired of it, but there are four other expansions out there as of late last year. I've got the base game and all five expansions now. I'm hoping the next expansion is Innsmouth, which seems very likely. I just wish I had more time to play it, but once you're used to the game it doesn't take as long with a single player as it would with multiple players. Dunwich makes the game much harder, but I can win the base game about 2 out of 3 times with one investigator (almost always by defeating the Ancient One). Enjoy!

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy
I wasn't able to update Omaha, as I need to get some sleep first. Some players haven't posted yet, so this will give them one more chance. The update should come sometime on Saturday.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:50 pm
by kabukiman

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:19 pm
by Tabs
I have saved Zombie Plague and shall try it out; one rainy day! Thanks. Have you tried Zombie In My Pocket? A solo game available at BGG, it is fun to play once in a while.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:30 pm
by kabukiman
No, I didn't knew it. I usually play a solo zombies!!!, it's fast and do not demands much space.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thanks for the link! I know I've seen Zombie Plague before, but I don't know when I'd have time to try it. Zombie In My Pocket sounds very interesting. Got a link for it? I have Zombies!!!, along with expansions 2, 3, and 3.5 (a card-only expansion). I bought the original game when it was new and published by Journeyman Press, before Twilight Creations got it. It was only $20 at the time, and the new edition's price is $25. I've seen solo rules (or a link to them) for Zombies!!! on their site, and it's the sort of thing I'd play if I had time.

Only one player has posted in Gold since the last update, which was over a week ago. I plan to update it on Wednesday night regardless, and if you don't post I'll assume you're following the other vehicles and not doing anything else.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 pm
by Tabs
Here is the link for Zombie In My Pocket:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32541

The graphics are cool.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:26 pm
by Mr. Handy
Short and sweet! I think I have time to play this little game, and it looks like fun. I already printed it out.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 pm
by kabukiman
I have bought zombies!!! 4, the version with the dogs for 20 euros (it's a standalone). I was surprised to see it in a store. Are the other previous numbers worth?

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 pm
by Mr. Handy
The original is worth it, of course. Expansions 2 and 3 were $15 each, (each contains 15 map tiles in addition to new cards and rules; 2 has 6 glow-in-the-dark zombies) and 3.5 was $10 when I bought it. That was a few years ago. I know there are a few more expansions beyond 4. I've never actually played with the expansions, so I can't say for sure whether or not they're worth it, but they do add a lot to the game and I'm glad I have them.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy
In case you weren't aware or had forgotten, I do expect players to post in their threads after each major update even if their characters aren't doing anything. Otherwise I don't know if you haven't posted because you don't want to do anything or because you haven't had a chance to post yet, which means I have to wait a while to see if you post or not. This slows down the game for everyone, so please post up if you can. If you have to take an extended absence, please let me know.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy
I don't have time to update Omaha tonight, but I'm going to try to do it Tuesday night even though I'll be busy. Failing that, I should definitely have time to update it on Wednesday.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:36 pm
by thewordwasaphex
Hey there Handy. Been about a year without a connection after unexpected computer death! :o

As my two previous characters (Willie the Cameraman and Airman Brian Kincaid) bought the farm rather messily back in Chapter 3, I'd love to rejoin for chapter four. Any suggestions as to who would be most useful to pick? I'm loathe to read the existing threads before you tell me which ones relate to whichever character(s) I end up playing, y'see... wouldn't want to ruin my fun. :D

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, Alex! Yes, you can rejoin with one or more new characters. If you want minimal catching up, I recommend picking one of the relatively new characters in the Gold section. There were nine added, but two have died and two more have been claimed. The following five remain:
Captain Nils Johansen (currently wounded, and also now in command due to the deaths of his superiors - won't be easy to play!)
1st Lt. Sara Evans
2nd Lt. Barbara Ellison
Airman Catherine Rourke
Airman Gary Simpson

If you don't mind doing a good deal more back reading, you can also pick up a character each from Sword and/or Juno. In Sword, Raquel Orozco and Lara Voronova are still up for grabs, but they're in a very desperate situation right now. In Juno, Ho Nguyen is still available. There are also plenty more characters in Omaha, and you can take more than one character from that section, but they require the most catching up. Chapter 5 is also probably at most a few months away, and there will likely be opportunities to create your own characters instead of just taking pregens at that point.

Check the Locations and Weapons thread in the Chapter 4 subforum to see which threads the character(s) you want have been in. There are even links that go directly to the posts where they enter each thread. Once you've made your selection(s), you can post them in the Character Selection and Discussion thread in Chapter 4 and I'll PM you their secrets.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:01 pm
by thewordwasaphex
I'll take Simpson in GOLD for now. Tempted to go for Johansen, simply for the challenge, but I'd rather ease my way back in gently, haha!

Gimme a short while and I might pick up a couple other characters in the other threads (or maybe even opt to play Johansen if he survives longer than Simpson does. :lol: ).

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
Okay, you've got him! I'll send you his secrets shortly. You just need to read those and the Quarantine thread, and then you can post there whenever you're ready.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
And we're back! I've sent PMs to all my players who haven't already posted since the site came back to let them know that the game's back on. I'm still waiting for a few people to post in each of the relevant sections. I'll wait a little while for them to return, but not too long, as it wouldn't be fair to the players who have been waiting for weeks already. If you haven't posted in a few days, expect your characters to be run temporarily as NPCs until you do. I hope everyone is still with us. Please post to let me know if you've come back, either in this thread or in your IC threads if your characters haven't acted yet.

I'm waiting on the following characters:
GOLD
Melinda Christie (kabukiman)
Senior Airman Tom Wu (richgav)
Airman Gary Simpson (thewordwasaphex)

SWORD
Katarina Iliescu (Laraqua)

JUNO
Helen Stafford (Raziel)
Cynthia Louise (Laraqua)

OMAHA
Lori Desmond (Anatomist)

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:45 pm
by kouchpotato
I'm here.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:59 am
by Mr Zombie killer
i am here. Do I need to post for my characters anything? I have kind of forgot.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:10 am
by ImpInTraining
I never left. Where you been?

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:51 am
by Tabs
I am here, too.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, everyone!

You've already posted for all of your characters, Mr Zombie killer. I listed everyone I've been waiting for at the top of this page. I got a post for Melinda since then.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:20 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
Having been overseas and far from the Internet, I missed whatever seems to have just happened on YSDC.

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy
The site was offline for almost two weeks after Carnage_Lee lost his job and apparently the host for Play@Yog-Sothoth as well, but he got us up and running again with a new host.

I'm still waiting for the following players to check in:
Laraqua (waiting for posts for two characters)
Ryansommer (who has logged on, but hasn't posted here; not waiting for posts for any characters)
Squidcorp (also has logged on, but hasn't posted yet; not waiting for posts for any characters)
Anatomist (also has logged on, and I'm waiting for a post for one character)
Richgav (also has logged on, and I'm waiting for a post for one character)
Roryn (also has logged on, but hasn't posted yet; not waiting for posts for any characters)
thewordwasaphex (waiting for a post for one character)

I won't wait much longer before I start updating, so please post if you haven't already done so. I plan to start updating some sections Thursday night, but I probably won't get them all done then.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy
Sorry, but I didn't have time to update any of the threads tonight. At least this gives the players who haven't posted one more chance to do so. I'm definitely going to update them all this weekend, starting on Friday night.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:03 pm
by thewordwasaphex
I'm back. Sorry I couldn't post any sooner - I was at a music festival. B)

Still, it's not like Simpson's doing much except lugging dead bodies around and generally sulking. :P

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:14 pm
by Tabs
The Isle of Wight festival? Did you see Neil Young?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:15 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back, and glad you had fun! Don't worry, I'm sure Simpson will have more to do soon enough. :twisted:

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:39 pm
by thewordwasaphex
Tabs wrote:The Isle of Wight festival? Did you see Neil Young?
No, Download - the other festival last weekend, haha! Saw Faith No More which was pretty damned amazing! :D

Handy, that's what I'm afraid of - I'm absolutely certain that Simpson is going to meet with grisly and horrible death in the immediate future; my terrible luck is why I'm normally keeper! :lol: :lol:

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry I haven't updated Omaha yet; I keep running out of time at night. I'm going to try to update it Tuesday night, though I'll have less time than usual. In the meantime, Anatomist has one last chance to post for Lori.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:51 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy, no problem, take it easy. A lot of people rely on you and ZA for entertainment.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:18 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Handy,
Where did all the pictures go? Do we need to find and send them again?

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm
by ImpInTraining
If they haven't shown up yet, they're probably gone indefinitely. Just go pick another avatar from the gallery provided, or upload one that fits their limitations.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
Carnage_Lee still hasn't fixed the avatars, but I can't rule out that he'll do so eventually. In the meantime, you can upload a new one if you like. If you're talking about the character pictures, almost all of them are still there.

I'm still not going to be able to update tonight, but tomorrow looks better.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:58 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
I was talking about the character pictures. Can you put this in for Kathleen Scott in Space oddity when you have some time?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2211809792/tt0421715

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy
I updated Kathleen's picture. I won't have time tonight to update Omaha (spent too much time creating my character for a new game and dealing with other Space Oddity-related stuff), but tomorrow night I'm going to concentrate on Zombie Apocalypse. An update for Omaha is definitely coming, and probably the other sections as well.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy
I don't have time tonight to update Omaha, but I should be able to tomorrow night. For Tariq: the Grease gun's stats and ammo are listed in the location and weapons thread. It has 9 full 30-round magazines. Now that Laraqua has returned, I'll wait a little to give her a chance to catch up and post before updating Sword and Juno. Welcome back, Laraqua!

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:56 pm
by ImpInTraining
Do you think I should roll an Idea roll for Donald Woodridge to think of some other makeshift weapons that might be available on the upper floors?

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy
Sure, go ahead and roll Idea. Even if you fail the roll, there are lots of things that can be used as either small or large clubs. Small clubs are one-handed and do 1d6+db damage, and large clubs are two-handed and do 1d8+db damage. Both default to 25%. You can also pick up and throw pretty much any object of reasonable size, provided you're strong enough. The Throw skill defaults to 25% as well, and damage depends upon the size and hardness of the thing you're hurling.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:35 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm going to Dexcon next weekend, and I don't expect to have Internet access (or spare time to use it), so there won't be any updates next Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I'll try to update everything again on Wednesday and Thursday, and then after I get back and catch up early the following week.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 pm
by ImpInTraining
I thought I should let you all know ... I'm taking off on a vacation tomorrow through July 15th. I am taking my computer, and might be able to post once in a while, but I don't want I should hold ya'll up for anything. So hey Mr. Handy, feel free to NPC Marcus (Juno) and Donald (Omaha) if I'm slowing anything down.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks for letting me know. I'll be going away this weekend, so you probably won't miss anything anyway.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Unfortunately, I won't be able to update Gold or Omaha before I leave, as my preparations took too much time. I'll try to make sure I get it done Monday night. In the meantime, anyone who hasn't posted there yet has a chance to do so.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry, but I was unable to update Omaha tonight. There simply wasn't enough time, as that is the section with the most characters and it takes the longest to update. I know you've all been waiting for that update for a long time, and I'll try my hardest to get it done tomorrow night even if I can't do anything else, though I'll have less time tomorrow than I usually do.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 am
by Tabs
No problem, Mr. Handy. Did you buy ant games at Dexcon? Innsmouth Horror maybe?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy
You bet I did! :D I got some real gems too. Don't know when I'll actually have a chance to play them, though. On Friday night I bought Innsmouth Horror, which I had specifically been looking for. I also got two new Talisman expansions: The Dungeon and The Reaper. Unfortunately, the edition of Talisman I bought two years ago is not quite compatible with them. The cards have different backs, and there are also rules changes and something called Fate tokens. There's an upgrade pack available for $20, but they weren't selling it at Dexcon. This has replacement cards with the new backs, Fate tokens, and the new rules, as well as plastic character figures instead of those silly little cardboard things on stands.

On Saturday I found the real treasure: Ambush! It's a solitaire WWII wargame where each unit is an individual soldier that Avalon Hill put out in the mid-1980s and was reprinted under the Victory Games name in 1991 (the one I bought was the Victory Games edition). I've wanted it for 25 years, ever since I first heard of it, but I'd never found it before. I wouldn't have found it there either, as it wasn't out on the tables, but I noticed a stack of previously opened games behind them (made my Spot Hidden roll!) and asked if it was for sale. It turned out that these games were to be auctioned off, but they sold it to me for $20. I looked inside it and saw that some of the components were missing, so they gave me $10 back. It actually had the maps from the Purple Heart expansion as well, but it was missing the two ten-sided dice and the character/vehicle cards. I have d10s of my own, and when I got home I found a PDF of the cards on BoardGameGeek that I printed out, and I had a feeling I'd be able to find them easily enough. Now I'm sorry I didn't buy the expansions when I saw them many years ago because I didn't have the original game. This game sells for $40 or more used, and it was probably $50 when it was new (and that was in 1983 dollars), so it was a real bargain at $10.

On Sunday I got some good stuff too. I found an OD&D solo adventure (Maze of the Riddling Minotaur), which uses an invisible ink pen to reveal sections of text. None of the sections had been revealed yet, but the pen was missing, so it was only $14. I have the Basic and Expert D&D sets, and I have some old invisible ink pens too, so I got it. I bought Zombies!!! 4, which is stand-alone, though I already have the original (the Journeyman Press edition, which was only $20 back in 2000) as well as 2, 3, and 3.5. They also had 5-8 there, but I can hold off on buying them. I also got Wings of War: Burning Drachens, a WWI aerial combat game that can be played solo (at least for ground attack and anti-balloon missions; I think dogfights actually require a second player). There are other Wings of War sets that can be combined with it covering both WWI and WWII, some of which they had there, but those didn't have solo play. Finally, I got a limited edition of K. R. Burgoine's Adventurer (Castle Deck), a fun little pickup fantasy RPG-like card game that can be played solo. The four heroes aren't really much different; they all have special abilities that make them immune to a different type of card that causes your turn to end, but they're otherwise identical. One of those hazard types (Locked Door) can also be bypassed with an item you can find, but maybe there are more Locked Doors than the other types.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 am
by kabukiman
Wow! You were lucky to find all those old products.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
Oh, to live near such a gamer's mecca...those words are balm to my soul, trapped in the hinterlands, far from even a single d10, with only the original Talisman set.

Actually, I just became the owner of the CoC LCG. Incredible! Nothing beats finding a bag full (not containing one, I mean FULL) of green Cthulhu idols.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks! I played the original Talisman a few times, and was very glad that a new version was reprinted. Otherwise I probably never would have found it. It turns out I got this version of Talisman last November. They must have just revised it this year. The only games I got there that were old were Ambush! and the D&D solo module. The others are fairly recent. I saw the CoC card game for sale there too, but I couldn't buy everything. Even though Philadelphia's a decent-sized city, there are no longer any game stores anywhere around, so the dealer's room at conventions is one of the few chances I have to get the good stuff, though it's also possible to buy online. Shipping can be expensive, however, depending on where you live.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 am
by kabukiman
Funny, here in Oporto we have 2 stores who sell boardgames. Less than 10 years ago we had 5 stores (who also sold rpg's) and a big rpg community but with the crisis 3 were closed and now it's near impossible to find players.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:56 pm
by ImpInTraining
I dreamt of zombies last night... woke up right before one took a bite out of me.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
Cool! You know you're doing your job as Keeper when you give your players nightmares. I can't remember if I've ever had a zombie dream. Well, at least that's better than waking up after the zombie bites you, and it's a whole lot better than it being real and not a dream.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:26 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
Zombie dreams are wonderful - I know a guy who has one every week. He is a lucky, lucky man.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:26 pm
by ImpInTraining
True... like a free movie. My hats off to you Mr. Handy. I don't have scary dreams very often.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Imp! Zombie dreams would be nice, but I've had some other cool dreams. I had an Ash dream (the play-by-post game, not the Bruce Campbell character). No scary monsters or anything, but I was Dr. Lionel Carpenter in the past. I also had a Life on Mars dream a week and a half ago where I was Sam Tyler. It was the scene in the final episode where he's on the roof.
Life on Mars finale spoilers!,I ran off the end of the roof just like he did, and on the way down I heard a voice (Sam's) in my head saying "Wake up, Sam!" Then I woke up, but in the real world and not 1973. Couldn't get back to sleep after that.
I also had an Ashes to Ashes dream a few months back where I was Gene Hunt. The only detail I remember was saying "Fire up the Quattro!" outside the police station where it was parked.

Welcome to Selks, who will be playing Senior Airman Tom Wu!

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:46 am
by kabukiman
I had a dream about zombies 2 weeks ago (second time it happens). I had no guns, no place to hide, just my legs to run...

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:42 am
by ImpInTraining
In my dream, we were in some sort of warehouse, all up high on these shelves... and doing a good job keeping the zombies at bay. Then when we thought it was clear, I was hopping down to retrieve something, and one showed up. It was moving slow, but apparently faster than me as it grabbed my arm. I tried to pit strength against strength, but it man-handled my arm like I was a toy doll, and went in for a bite...

I woke up.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Wow, awesome dreams. Sometimes running can be the best move. The only problem is that zombies can move without rest a lot longer than we can.

I won't have time to update Omaha tonight, but I'll hopefully be able to do it Wednesday, or Thursday at the latest. Omaha is nearly done (the other sections are close to finishing Chapter 4 too), and I have to congratulate the players there. In spite of all the deadly danger, there hasn't been a single character death. Some serious injuries, some lost marbles, and evne a dunking, but nobody died who didn't already start out that way. Part of that was luck, but there was also some good decision making and coordination. Fixing the generator ASAP was the key, as that prevented a massive zombie break-in. With Emilio's critical success at Electrical Repair (on a 1), only a handful of zombies got through the fence before the power came back on.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:43 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Perhaps we are learning hmm? Which means you may have to rachet up the horror Mr Handy.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, you're learning. Chapter 5 will be different in a number of ways, but I'm not going to give anything away yet. Chapter 4 has been very low-fatality. The only other chapter that even came close was Chapter 2 - until that chaotic battle at the end took out all those characters. It was lucky that the motel didn't fall then and there. Before that, only two people had died in the entire chapter. Chapter 3 was a slaughterfest, and nearly resulted in a TPK in one of the sections - Sally was the sole survivor from that group. That was probably the most difficult chapter...so far. :twisted:

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:23 am
by kabukiman
In my group in chapter 3, there were 2 slaughters: one made by Gardner an npc :? and the other by a single zombie :x ... We made several bad decisions, but we worked as a group trying to protect it's members. And it was the best role-play in a group that I participated.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yeah, the Over section was great. Gardner did become a PC (played by Laraqua), but only after he killed five characters. He didn't manage to kill anyone directly while she was playing him, though he did cost Alvarez his leg while knocking him down to 1 HP.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 am
by Mr Zombie killer
and all Alvarez wanted was to give peace a chance :(

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:29 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
I can't help but feel like the longest day was a bit too short - Tariq ran from the Cafeteria to the balcony, pulled Kyle into the workshop, got him medical treatment, then ran down to the bottom floor, and it took him all day long.

I've only ever had one zombie dream, and it was a while ago. I was killing them in my driveway with an axe and a bicycle. I' m thinking it was more likely a prediction of my upcoming game than a result of another one, but last week I had a dream in which I woke up from sleeping in a pyramid on a table - and realized I was a shoggoth...

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:03 am
by Mr. Handy
Now that is really cool. 8-)

I used the title The Longest Day both for the obvious WWII reference (the sections are named after four of the five beaches where the Allies landed in Normandy on D-Day) and due to the fact that it takes a lot of time in the real world while not taking so much in game time. So far the Omaha section of Chapter 4 has encompassed about 35 minutes of game time, and it's probably going to be done with the next major update. Sword is already done, and Gold and Juno aren't that far from being completed either. This has been a rather short chapter. Only Chapter 1 was approximately the same length (seven months of real time), whereas Chapters 2 and 3 have each lasted about a year. In over three years of real time, less than eleven hours of game time have passed since Chapter 1 first started way back in June 2006. That's another reason why Z-Day is The Longest Day.

Chapter 5 will be called Dead of Night, and time will flow somewhat faster there due to changes in the situation, especially in Gold and Omaha. There will be parts of Sword and Juno that will move in an accelerated manner as well, I'm sure - there will be the occasional lull between crises, and people do need to sleep at some point.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:17 am
by Mr Zombie killer
So what are the chapter names going to be called and when does Chapter 5 start up here?

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
Chapter 4 should be finished within a week or two at most. I expect Chapter 5 to start in early September. The section names will remain the same.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:31 am
by Mr Zombie killer
well unless something actually weird and horrible occurs I am actually finishing a chapter with the same characters I started it with although Colin does not seem he will make it in the sane world much longer.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:56 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
Thanks for clarifying the time. Suddenly this game makes sense! My character has yet to even see a zombie, but something tells me his survival chances are going to plummet once he leaves the scool.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
Mr Zombie killer wrote:well unless something actually weird and horrible occurs I am actually finishing a chapter with the same characters I started it with although Colin does not seem he will make it in the sane world much longer.
Colin is going to get a Sanity boost after the chapter is over. He's still going to have mental disorders and need serious long-term therapy, but he won't necessarily hit 0. In fact, all of the characters in Gold from the first 3 chapters will get Sanity boosts for reaching a "safe" haven, though the new characters added in Chapter 4 will not - they started out there. Also, every character in Omaha (new or not) will receive a Sanity boost as well, as Omaha is now a "safe" haven of sorts. Characters in Sword and Juno will not receive one yet, as they are anything but safe.
Mi-Go Agent wrote:Thanks for clarifying the time. Suddenly this game makes sense! My character has yet to even see a zombie, but something tells me his survival chances are going to plummet once he leaves the scool.
You're welcome. Whether you leave or stay, there is still danger. It just may take a different form than what you're used to.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:29 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Ahh yes he will recieve a sanity boost but will it matter in the end? Something tells me it won't but then again that could be cause I am a glass half empty sort of fellow.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Even if poor Colin gains the maximum Sanity, his glass will still be 8/9 empty! :lol:

Well, look on the bright side of being a pessimist. At least you won't be disappointed if you turn out to be wrong, and if you're right you expected it and were able to prepare.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:52 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Yeah the fun part of this game is that I expect my characters to die off and while i do not go looking for death it sometimes visits and that is all part of the game. The only funner part would be if you let us make up our own backgrounds and or secrets but oh well.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
But you will be able to do that in Chapter 5. Not you specifically, since you still have four characters and thus no room for a new one until you lose somebody, but every player who has slots open will be able to create their own characters, one in Gold and another in Omaha, with full freedom to develop their backgrounds. I'll add in other secrets besides what you put there that are appropriate to your character (characters with low stats will be more likely to have special abilities that give them a boost, and high-stat characters will be more likely to have disadvantageous secrets).

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:04 pm
by Dave Syrinx
On the time speed issue, my character has been through a lot and has survived because of other people (PCs) died. Been on a number of locations so far. Met a bunch of different groups of players. That and some careful treading. I hope for my traffic controller to make it to the air force base. If nothing ugly appears on that roof. So far in this game I´v had two characters and lost none. I´ve however, lost a serious amount of supporting characters.
The ratio of killed PCs per player is not always high. Just to clarify how this game plays out.
Over and out from a sunny Swedish day, not that common.

Till the next update, alive and kicking ;) .

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:30 pm
by Mr. Handy
Kathryn is certainly a survivor. She has been lucky that a lot of people risked and gave their lives to protect her. Gardner killed some of them, but she survived because he wanted her alive. She's been through hell and has been injured both physically and psychologically, and she has had a few close calls (including two grenades that went off near her) but she's done a good job of staying alive. It should be interesting if she reaches Warren AFB. Emilio hasn't lost anyone, as all of the dozens of characters have managed to survive Omaha - in large part thanks to his critical success (a natural 1) helping to repair the generator. Thanks to him, only a handful of zombies actually made it through the fence before power was restored.

The most unlikely survival story has to be Sally, one of the few members of the original cast to still be alive. She made it past multiple unspeakable horrors in Chapter 3 (with a broken leg, no less) and only narrowly survived, escaping death by the slimmest of margins on more than one occasion. She's still in a desperate situation going into Chapter 5, but being careful most of the time and lucky the rest has seen her through it.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:26 pm
by kabukiman
Well, if chapter 4 was a movie, it would be panned by the critics. No deaths, everybody helping each others, what kind of zombie movies was that? :P

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:59 am
by Mr. Handy
There were no deaths in Omaha, but each of the other sections had deaths. Not many, though. And not everyone was working together, even in Omaha. It's really a miracle that nobody in Omaha died.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:07 am
by kouchpotato
I had the only PC death in Juno. Yay me!

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:10 am
by Mr. Handy
You mean so far. Juno isn't done yet... :twisted:

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
kabukiman wrote:Well, if chapter 4 was a movie, it would be panned by the critics. No deaths, everybody helping each others, what kind of zombie movies was that? :P
The critics are often an odd bunch...

"In the feel-good movie of the year, troubled people trapped in a high school work out their differences and learn to work together to easily end a zombie problem. Science saves the day, but so does dedication and social responsibility, such as when criminals recognize the importance of justice and submit to arrest."

If this was the whole game, I might be a little upset. But as a breather between two periods of slaughter, a chance to give the scientists some time to take the lead, and a way to introduce a pile of new characters, it was fine.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, Chapter 5 is going to be very different, in more ways than one. I won't be adding a pile of new characters. There will only be a handful of pre-gens, but with the ability to create your own characters, there could potentially be many more added.

I don't have time to update Gold and Juno tonight (and Invisible Castle has been down for hours anyway), but I hope to do so Wednesday night.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Invisible Castle is still down, but feel free to use another roller or real dice and post the results of any rolls you need to make in spoiler buttons if it isn't back up by the time you're ready to post. Gold and Juno are now updated.

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy
Invisible Castle is back up again, but we're just about done here anyway. Still, it'll come in useful when the time comes for skill improvement rolls. Once I update Gold and Juno one more time each, I'll be ready to bring down the curtain on Chapter 4. That will be this weekend at the latest.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:21 pm
by Mr. Handy
Chapter 4 is complete! Later tonight I'll post instructions for your Sanity and skill increases. Chapter 5 will probably begin on Labor Day Weekend (September 5-7), which is when I plan to put up the initial IC threads. This weekend I'll post new character sheets for Chapter 5 as well as advertise for new players. I also plan to post instructions for character creation for non-pregenerated characters in Gold or Omaha. Enjoy the break! Things will be getting hairy once Chapter 5 starts...

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy
All surviving characters now get skill experience checks. In the locations and weapons thread, I've kept a list of skills successfully used by each character. For each skill, roll 1d100 and try to get higher than your unmodified score in this skill (which may be the base skill if you don't have any points in it yet). If you're suffering from fatigue penalties or anything of the sort, these do not factor into your skill XP rolls. It's just a straight roll against your skill that you want to fail. If you succeed, the skill does not improve, but if you fail, roll 1d10. This is the number of points by which that skill increases. Thus, the higher a skill gets, the harder it is to increase further. However, low skills are difficult to increase because you have to get a successful roll against them during the chapter in order to have it checked for a possible increase.

For each of your skills that rises to a level of 90 or higher, you get an increase of 2d6 Sanity, though no PC has a checked skill of 80 or higher, so you will not achieve that level in this chapter. Sanity increases are few and far between in this game. Characters in Sword and Juno do not get any Sanity increase just for surviving this far. Your characters are still in extreme danger, and you'll need to get somewhere relatively safe before you can recover any Sanity that way. Characters in Gold who were introduced in Chapters 1-3 each gain 1d10 Sanity for reaching a "safe" haven. Characters newly added in Chapter 4 for Gold do not get this Sanity increase, as they started out at Warren Air Force Base. All characters in Omaha also get a Sanity increase of 1d10, even the new ones from Chapter 4. This is because Omaha was not "safe" originally, but now it seems to be.

Post your rolls in this thread when you've made them, and I'll update your character sheets. Characters of MIA players are not listed here. I'll roll their increases myself, along with other NPCs. If any players don't roll by the time Chapter 5 is getting ready to start, I'll roll for them at that time.

Mr Zombie killer
Colin Lewis (13/17 HP, San 1, indefinitely insane):
Sanity +1d10
Military Science (16)
Spot Hidden (40)
Grapple (40)
Fast Talk (5)
Handgun (45)

Victor Gonzalez (14/14 HP, San 41):
Conceal (45)
Spot Hidden (45)
Handgun (65)

Darnell Jones (14/14 HP, San 50):
Sanity +1d10
Fast Talk (55)

Alvin Drummond (15/15 HP, San 25, indefinitely insane):
Sanity +1d10
Spot Hidden (40)
Listen (65)

Kabukiman
Melinda Christie (10/10 HP, San 45):
Sanity +1d10
Drive Auto (40)

Jerry Law (15/15 HP, San 50):
Sanity +1d10
Spot Hidden (65)

Michiko Watanabe (10/10 HP, San 67):
Sanity +1d10
Spot Hidden (32)
Physics (45)

Laraqua
Katarina Iliescu (9/9 HP, San 72):
Fast Talk (60)
Persuade (55)
Psychology (30)
Spot Hidden (40)
Grapple (25)

Cynthia Louise (12/12 HP, San 70):
Shotgun (30)

Syrinx
Kathryn McCoy (7/11 HP, San 73, temporarily insane[insanity currently suppressed]):
Listen (65)
Handgun (45)
Fast Talk (55)

Emilio Montoya (13/13 HP, San 45):
Sanity +1d10
Spot Hidden (45)
Electrical Repair (65)
Fist/Punch (75)

Ryansommer
Airman Frank Hodges (9/15 HP, San 29, indefinitely insane, bitten):
Sanity +1d10
First Aid (40)
Spot Hidden (51)

Keith Deeds (15/15 HP, San 13, indefinitely insane):
Sanity +1d10
Spot Hidden (60)

Sally (6/11 HP, San 85, broken leg):
Medicine (57)
Pharmacy (24)
Listen (43)
Psychoanalysis (35)
Spot Hidden (35)

Emily Montrose (12/12 HP, San 57):
Spot Hidden (25)
Listen (55)
Handgun (20)
Psychology (78)
History (20)
First Aid (60)
Psychoanalysis (58)

ImpInTraining
Marcus Williams (14/14 HP, San 40):
Spot Hidden (45)
Climb (60)

Donald Woodridge (15/15 HP, San 59):
Sanity +1d10
Electrical Repair (70)
Listen (25)

Mi-Go Agent
Tariq al-Tikriti (14/14 HP, San 55):
Sanity +1d10
Listen (40)
Spot Hidden (45)
Demolitions (45)
Persuade (15)

Tabs
Zoe Gallagher (12/12 HP, San 37):
Locksmith (41)
Listen (40)
Persuade (15)
Spot Hidden (35)
Rifle (30)
Dodge (28)

Keith Stewart (14/14 HP, San 57):
Sanity +1d10
Listen (30)
Handgun (45)

Rachel Cohen (14/14 HP, San 56):
Sanity +1d10
Psychology (60)
Listen (25)
Fist/Punch (60)
Martial Arts(Krav Maga) (60)

Anatomist
Lori Desmond (15/15 HP, San 50):
Sanity +1d10
Listen (65)
Fast Talk (55)

Raziel
Helen Stafford (14/14 HP, San 55):
Spot Hidden (55)
Listen (45)

Roryn
Lt. Oscar Gomez (14/14 HP, San 64):
Grapple (40)
First AId (65)
Handgun (45)

Kouchpotato
Captain Nils Johansen (8/12 HP, San 59):
Grapple (25)
First Aid (70)
Medicine (65)
Handgun (40)

Ho Nguyen (13/13 HP, San 75):
Spot Hidden (50)
Rifle (50)
Listen (25)
Handgun (45)

Thewordwasaphex
Airman Gary Simpson (15/15 HP, San 45, indefinitely insane):
Rifle (60)
Spot Hidden (45)

Selks
Senior Airman Tom Wu (16/16 HP, San 34, temporarily insane, Indefinitely insane):
Grapple (60)

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:33 am
by kouchpotato

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy
Actually, it's a lot better than you think. Remember, you want to roll higher than the skill to get the increase. That means Captain Johansen gets increases in Grapple, First Aid, and Medicine (but not Handgun). Likewise, Ho Nguyen gets increases in Rifle, Listen, and Handgun (but not Spot Hidden). Also, the increases are 1d10 each, not 2d6. Go ahead and roll your increases; each character gets three skills raised.

I've started rolling for increases for the NPCs. Here are the first few for Gold:
David (11/11 HP, San 21->26, temporarily insane, indefinitely insane):
Sanity (21) increased by 5 to 26
Drive Truck (55) did not increase

Beth (13/13 HP, San 78->86):
Sanity (78) increased by 8 to 86

Robert (14/14 HP, San 93->99):
Sanity (93) increased by 8 to the maximum of 99
First Aid (40) increased by 4 to 44

Zorie Spooner (8/12 HP, San 55->56):
Sanity (55) increased by 1 to 56

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:43 pm
by ImpInTraining
In Juno, is it ok to have Marcus haul that ladder back up after Hector gets topside? There's no purpose in leaving it where it is for the zombies to come on up after us. Just wanted to point that out before we started chapter 5.

Incidentally ... I figured out why I thought Marcus was unarmed. I reread the details about the characters you sent me a while back when I first started and you pointed out that Donald was unarmed. I just got my characters confused. LOL.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:15 pm
by ImpInTraining

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, Marcus can pull the ladder up once Harvey reaches the top. Chapter 5 will begin at the same exact instant Chapter 4 ended, so he won't be at the top just yet.

Here are the rest of the NPC increases for Gold:
Lt. Rebecca Doolittle (13/13 HP, San 30->36, temporarily insane, indefinitely insane):
Sanity (30) increased by 6 to 36
Dodge (40) increased by 1 to 41
Handgun (58) increased by 8 to 66
First Aid (30) did not increase
Submachine Gun (15) increased by 1 to 16

Senior Airman Roger Coltrane (16/16 HP, San 21->25 , indefinitely insane):
Sanity (21) increased by 4 to 25
First Aid (55) increased by 5 to 60
Rifle (71) increased by 9 to 80

Amanda Deeds (13/13 HP, San 41->44, temporarily insane, indefinitely insane):
Sanity (41) increased by 3 to 44
Psychology (65) did not increase
Drive Motorcycle (55) increased by 10 to 65
Psychoanalysis (37) did not increase
First Aid (70) did not increase

Lisa Crow (11/11 HP, San 39->47, indefinitely insane [insanity currently suppressed]):
Sanity (39) increased by 8 to 47
Persuade (50) increased by 2 to 52
Drive Auto (20) increased by 3 to 23

1st Lt. Sara Evans, R.N. (12/12 HP, San 65):
First Aid (70) did not increase
Handgun (50) did not increase

2nd Lt. Barbara Ellison, R.N. (10/10 HP, San 54):
Grapple (35) did not increase
Handgun (40) did not increase
Psychoanalysis (61) did not increase
Medicine (55) did not increase

Airman Catherine Rourke (13/13 HP, San 65):
Small Club (40) did not increase
Rifle (65) did not increase

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:42 pm
by thewordwasaphex

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:09 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Syrinx
Kathryn McCoy (7/11 HP, San 73, temporarily insane[insanity currently suppressed]):
Listen (65) -
Handgun (45) -
Fast Talk (55) -

Handy;
Spoiler:

Emilio Montoya
(13/13 HP, San (45) 51:
Sanity +1d10 (+6)
Spot Hidden (45) +9 54%
Electrical Repair (65) -
Fist/Punch (75)
-

Handy:
Spoiler:

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:16 pm
by Mr. Handy
Here are the increases for the NPCs in Sword and Juno. Note that the non-playable characters in these sections whose sheets are not visible to the players will also get increases, rolled in secret.
Raquel Orozco (HP 11/14, San 60):
Fast Talk (50) did not increase
Spot Hidden (55) did not increase
Listen (50) did not increase
Climb (40) did not increase
Sneak (35) increased by 1 to 36
First Aid (30) increased by 10 to 40

Lara Voronova (HP 10/10, San 29):
Listen (45) did not increase
Climb (40) did not increase
Jump (25) increased by 1 to 26
Spot Hidden (25) did not increase
Handgun (50) increased by 3 to 53
Dodge (34) did not increase

Lauren Montrose (HP 12/12, San 69):
Rifle (30) increased by 10 to 40
Listen (35) increased by 3 to 38

Kyle Perkins (HP 18/18, San 29, indefinitely insane [insanity currently suppressed]):
Rifle (45) did not increase
Jump (25) did not increase
First Aid (40) did not increase

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:42 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
Tariq has learned nothing, it seems. He even got a critical learned nothing. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2201181/

Bummer. :|

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:05 pm
by Mr. Handy
Tariq does still get his Sanity increase. Don't forget to roll 1d10 for that.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55 pm
by kouchpotato
Grapple +8, First Aid +5, Medicine +8 for Captain Nils Johansen.

Rifle +8, Listen +1, Handgun +9 for Ho Nguyen.

Much better.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:09 pm
by thewordwasaphex
Just thought I'd add a hearty 'congratulations' to everyone for making it this far, and especially to Handy for keeping this whole thing going. You must have about seven brains! :lol:

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:58 am
by Mr Zombie killer

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy
Thanks, Alex! And yes, congratulations to everyone for surviving! I don't know how I keep it all straight myself. If I have seven brains, I've forgotten where I put six and a half of them. :?

I've started on the Omaha NPCs' increases. I doubt I'll have time to finish them or to post the Chapter 5 character sheets until next weekend.
Trooper Erica Spears (13/13 HP, San 75->82):
Sanity (75) increased by 7 to 82
Spot Hidden (76) did not increase
Pilot Helicopter (77) did not increase
Rifle (32) did not increase

Dr. Brigetta Hausmann (7/12 HP, San 50->59, broken arm):
Sanity (50) increased by 9 to 59
Biology (92) increased by 9 to the maximum of 99
First Aid (71) did not increase
Medicine (86) did not increase

Stephanie Bridges (12/12 HP, San 99):
Sanity (99) was already at the maximum and did not increase
Biology (77) did not increase

Dr. Bernard Smith (15/15 HP, San 39->45, indefinitely insane):
Sanity (39) increased by 6 to 45
Psychoanalysis (66) did not increase
Medicine (75) did not increase
First Aid (75) did not increase

Lucy Armstrong (15/15 HP, San 53->60):
Sanity (53) increased by 60
Listen (25) did not increase

Principal Lawrence Adler (14/14 HP, San 60->64):
Sanity (60) increased by 4 to 64
Psychoanalysis (62) increased by 7 to 69

Vice Principal Sharon Kaplan (13/13 HP, San 70->80):
Sanity (70) increased by 10 to 80
Fast Talk (52) increased by 7 to 59
First Aid (35) increased by 3 to 38

Laura Shelley (11/11 HP, San 85->89):
Sanity (85) increased by 4 to 89

MIchelle Marquez (9/11 HP, San 55->64):
Sanity (55) increased by 9 to 64
Medicine (56) did not increase
Handgun (40) increased by 5 to 45
First Aid (72) did not increase

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:14 am
by Tabs
Go Zoe!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202065/]In the order listed (1d100=99, 1d100=7, 1d100=60, 1d100=90, 1d100=20, 1d100=55)[/url][url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202084/]Increase: Locksmith, Spot Hidden, Persuade, Dodge (1d10=10, 1d10=6, 1d10=4, 1d10=7)[/url]
Zoe Gallagher (12/12 HP, San 37):
Locksmith (41)
Listen (40)
Persuade (15)
Spot Hidden (35)
Rifle (30)
Dodge (28)
Excellent for Keith,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202073/]In order (1d100=45, 1d100=56)[/url][url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202074/]Sanity (1d10=4)[/url][url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202085/]Increase: Listen, Handgun (1d10=10, 1d10=7)[/url]
Keith Stewart (14/14 HP, San 57):
Sanity +1d10
Listen (30)
Handgun (45)
Pretty good for Rach,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202069/]In order (1d100=48, 1d100=38, 1d100=66, 1d100=62)[/url][url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202070/]Sanity (1d10=3)[/url][url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2202086/]Increase: Listen, Fist/Punch, Martial Arts (1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=6)[/url]
Rachel Cohen (14/14 HP, San 56):
Sanity +1d10
Psychology (60)
Listen (25)
Fist/Punch (60)
Martial Arts(Krav Maga) (60)

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 pm
by Mi-Go Agent
Tariq feels surprisingly sane.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy
Anatomist has withdrawn, at least for now, so I'll roll for Lori's increases. Now I just need increase rolls from Kabukiman, Laraqua, Ryansommer, Raziel, Roryn, and Selks.

Here are some more rolls for the Omaha NPCs:
Amelia Delacroix (13/13 HP, San 75->77):
Sanity (75) increased by 2 to 77
Listen (25) increased by 4 to 29
First Aid (50) did not increase

Becky Clarke (14/14 HP, San 79->80):
Sanity (79) increased by 1 to 80
Listen (25) did not increase
First Aid (40) increased by 6 to 46

Chester Johnson (12/12 HP, San 45->55):
Sanity (45) increased by 10 to 55
Listen (45) increased by 4 to 49
Biology (51) did not increase

Julianne Landers (9/9 HP, San 75->82):
Sanity (75) increased by 7 to 82
Listen (60) did not increase

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:16 pm
by ryansommer
Frank Hodges
Increase Roll
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2209117/
Sanity – 29 (+5) 34
Spot Hidden – 51 (no increase)
First Aid – 40 (+5) 45

Keith Deeds
Check roll
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2209121/
Increase Roll
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2209124/
Sanity 13 (+7)
Spot Hidden – 60 (no increase)

Emily Montrose
Check Roll
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2209125/
Increase Rolls
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2209126/
Spot Hidden – (no increase)
Listen – 55 (+8) 63
Handgun – (No Increase)
Psychology – 78 (+2) 80
History – (No increase)
First Aid – 60 (No increase)
Psychoanalysis – (No Increase)

Sally the Traveling Nurse
Check Roll
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2209127/
Increase Roll
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2209128/
Medicine – 57 (No Increase)
Pharmacy – 24 (No Increase)
Listen – 43 (+7) 50
Psychoanalysis – 35 (No Increase)
Spot Hidden – 35 (+5) 40

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
Here are the rest of the Omaha NPC increases:
Declan McLeod (14/14 HP, San 51->55)
Sanity (51) increased by 4 to 55
Listen (55) increased by 10 to 65
Electrical Repair (75) did not increase
Fist/Punch (60) did not increase
Swim (25) increased by 3 to 28

Ron Moore (15/15 HP, San 45->47)
Sanity (45) increased by 2 to 47
Saber (50) increased by 3 to 53

Megan Petrovich (12/12 HP, San 51->53)
Sanity (51) increased by 2 to 53
Listen (25) increased by 4 to 29
Spot Hidden (35) did not increase

Enrico Santini (13/13 HP, San 50->54)
Sanity (50) increased by 4 to 54
Listen (25) increased by 5 to 30

Miguel Garcia (10/12 HP, San 36->39, indefinitely insane)
Sanity (36) increased by 3 to 39
Handgun (65) did not increase
Fist/Punch (60) did not increase
Listen (60) did not increase

Heather Anderson (13/13 HP, San 80->90)
Sanity (80) increased by 10 to 90

Roy McCrumb (5/16 HP, San 50->59)
Sanity (50) increased by 9 to 59
Spot Hidden (40) did not increase
Dodge (68) did not increase
Jump (60) did not increase
Throw (75) did not increase

LaTanya Washington (14/14 HP, San 55->62)
Sanity (55) increased by 7 to 62

Kyle Rogers (14/14 HP, San 40->50)
Sanity (40) increased by 10 to 50
Listen (45) increased by 3 to 48
Sneak (10) increased by 3 to 13
Shotgun (45) did not increase

Doug Marley (12/14, San 65->66)
Sanity (65) increased by 1 to 66

Teresa Vazquez (11/11 HP, San 75->83)
Sanity (75) increased by 8 to 83

Elijah Smith (13/13 HP, San 70->73)
Sanity (70) increased by 3 to 73
Spot Hidden (40) increased by 8 to 48
Physics (41) increased by 8 to 49

Diana Forester (13/13 HP, San 85->88)
Sanity (85) increased by 3 to 88
Listen (40) increased by 6 to 46

Kelly Cameron (12/12 HP, San 80->81)
Sanity (80) increased by 1 to 81

Ali al-Tikriti (14/14 HP, San 70->74)
Sanity (70) increased by 4 to 74

Lisa Marley (13/13 HP, San 90->93)
Sanity (90) increased by 3 to 93

Sunny Kwon (9/9 HP, San 75->76)
Sanity (75) increased by 1 to 76

Dr. Helene Saunders (12/12 HP, San 65->71)
Sanity (65) increased by 6 to 71
Spot Hidden (25) increased by 10 to 35

Adam Donnelly (12/12 HP, San 45->49)
Sanity (45) increased by 4 to 49
Spot Hidden (65) did not increase
Listen (25) increased by 3 to 28

Emily Lubacek (11/11 HP, San 60->69)
Sanity (60) increased by 9 to 69

Chuck Lubachek (14/14 HP, San 49->52)
Sanity (49) increased by 3 to 52
Electrical Repair (55) increased by 3 to 58

Tiny (11/11 HP, San 24->32)
Sanity (24) increased by 8 to 32
Scent Something Interesting (90) did not increase

Lori Desmond (15/15 HP, San 50->55)
Sanity (50) increased by 5 to 55
Listen (65) did not increase
Fast Talk (55) did not increase

Officer Kate Wheeler (12/12 HP, San 66->76)
Sanity (66) increased by 10 to 76
Spot Hidden (55) did not increase
Handgun (67) did not increase
Listen (40) did not increase
Track (30) increased by 1 to 31
Small Club (40) did not increase
Fast Talk (50) did not increase

Murray (10/10 HP, San 31->36, indefinitely insane)
Sanity (31) increased by 5 to 36
Scent Something Interesting (90) increased by 6 to 96
Listen (80) did not increase

Dr. Edward Singh (13/13 HP, San 70->75)
Sanity (70) increased by 5 to 75
Listen (25) increased by 5 to 30
Biology (66) did not increase

Dr. Liz Somerville (12/12 HP, San 65->71)
Sanity (65) increased by 6 to 71
Medicine (65) increased by 7 to 72

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:49 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Handy,Is it too late for Alvin to join Tariq on his request to leave the school? That way I have one at the school and one someplace else in the city?

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
No, it's not too late. Murray will go with you too.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:35 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Okay well I cannot put that in the thread as its locked so...?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy
I locked the thread after everyone had posted and days had gone by, at the same time that I locked the other threads at the end of Chapter 4. You don't have to post there, as you've already made your intentions clear, but I'll unlock the thread so you can post if you like. Alvin and Murray can go back downstairs and out the back door. They'll catch up with Tariq, Ali, and Lori as they're heading for the big hole in the northwest corner of the fence and can join them.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:45 pm
by masonstone
Just posting to say hello to all the other surviours in Gold, I'll be joining you for chapter 5 as an RAF Sergeant Major. This will be good fun to play and I cant wait to get started.

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome aboard, masonstone!

This thread is now locked. All OOC comments should be posted in the OOC thread in the Chapter 5 subforum here. If you haven't yet made your skill XP rolls for the end of Chapter 4, you may do so in that thread as well. I'm only waiting for five players to do that, but if they don't soon I'll roll for them.