OOC-Chapter 4-The Longest Day-General Discussion

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: OOC-Chapter 4-The Longest Day-General Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, both of you! I fixed the typo. I proofread all of my posts before I submit them, but sometimes one slips through.

It is very complex and time-consuming to keep track of everything, and it is a lot like writing a book. I've been writing for a very long time and enjoy it greatly (I also submitted a short story for the Mythos fiction contest you might like). I'm glad all of this hard work is appreciated, and that you're having fun.

I'm going to try to do a major update for Omaha tonight, but I won't have much time to post on Tuesday night, so any further updates will probably not come until at least Wednesday night. I can't post when I'm at work, so during the week I'm usually only online in the evenings.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

At the risk of sounding sycophantic I agree with the previous comments, however I have zero experience at pbp so my view is not worth a lot. [Insert smilie]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Tabs. Of course now you have a little more than zero experience at pbp, so your opinion is worth something after all! 8-)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Hi all, I watched The Dark Knight yesterday evening, pretty good I thought; the Joker was menacing. I also watched The Mist recently and although I've not read the posts for ZA: Quickie Mart, they must be similar (exchange Mythos type monsters for zombies). Also damn fine film IMHO.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

I have also watched "The Mist" ... must say, it was as good as the short-story... although they added a bit to the movie to tie loose ends together. The way it ended was rather ... ironic?

And as for the Joker, yes... I have to agree. That was the best Joker I've ever seen in a Batman movie. Loved when he made the pencil disappear.

Oh... and I haven't said anything about Mr. Handy's story-handling quality just yet ... aside from the fact that I was purely amazed that he'd take it all on. It's a lot of work. But to do it all well, that deserves applause. However, I'm only reading my two threads, so unfortunately I can't provide an honest and earnest slap-on-the-back. However, I will say this. Mr. Handy, if you're doing as well with the other threads as you're doing with mine, then kudos to you my man.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks again, Imp! It is a lot of work, and unfortunately I haven't had all that much time this week and I'm falling behind on a bunch of stuff. It looks like a major update for the Omaha threads will have to wait until this weekend, but I should be able to start Adam Donnelly's thread tonight and update the other three sections.

I haven't seen either of those two movies yet, but I don't think the convenience store is quite the same as what I've heard about The Mist. I guess there's the impending darkness to shroud visibility and conceal threats instead of mist, but those threats will almost certainly turn out to be different - though they will include zombies, naturally.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tangerine »

Yeah, I'm very much enjoying this - Mr Handy really lives up to his name (are you omnipotent?) I find it hard enough to post my own replies based on what my characters know/see. Mr Handy has to do it for a bazillion different characters!
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Tangerine! No, I'm not omnipotent. It's not a bazillion characters, though, just 70-something. It is difficult keeping all of those perspectives straight. Just having a few characters is tough enough. The name Mr. Handy is that of a type of robot in the Fallout series of computer games, by the way - that's my username at No Mutants Allowed, where Zombie Apocalypse started.

Playing with only the limited knowledge and perceptions of your character is part of the challenge of the game. That's one improvement that's really set in since Chapter 3 started and I split things up into multiple threads. Not knowing what characters in other threads are doing (or even if they're still alive) really amps up the suspense.

I'm planning to update Juno tonight, but that's all I'll have time for. Omaha's update should come on Saturday, and hopefully the map will follow that shortly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

so no death thread this chapter?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oh, there will be...when someone dies. Nobody has died - yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

So why did you take the Chapter 3 death thread off the site or have a link to the Chapter 1 or 2? I personally liked reading your funny obits.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The Chapter 3 Death Toll thread has not been deleted, I just moved it into the Chapter 3 subforum. I just made it a Sticky so that it's no longer buried down the page. The Chapter 1 and 2 Death Toll thread is still back on the old site.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Ahhh! That's why Mr. Handy sounds so familiar. I love Fallout.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Me too. I've played Fallout 1 and 2. I have Tactics but haven't played it yet, but from what I hear it's nowhere near as deep as the regular games. I haven't played Fallout 3 yet. I know from everything I've seen about it that it isn't really true to the first two games and the game is lacking in general. I'll probably buy it and play it anyway when the price comes down and the bugs get patched, but I'm not shelling out $50 for it.

The first two chapters of Zombie Apocalypse are on No Mutants Allowed, a Fallout fansite. There are links in The Story So Far. Welsh and SuAside are also on that site. I've been taking part in a freeform Fallout RP on the Roleplaying Board there called Systematic Annihilation. It had stalled over the last year or so, but it should be picking up again soon.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Alex Tru
Layman
Layman

Post by Alex Tru »

I have only played Fallout 3 but from what I know your opinion is mostly correct. The biggest problem is that it is called Fallout. Still I find it fun.

I hope my posting has been alright so far.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, your posting has been good. I think you're right that the main problem with Fallout 3 is that it's called Fallout. If it were some other original post-apocalyptic game that Bethesda had cooked up, that would have been fine. If Bethesda had gotten people who worked on the first two Fallouts to make Fallout 3 and done it properly, they still would have gotten the hype and the high sales figures they ended up getting. People do like turn-based combat and isometric views (which can be 3-D with the ability to rotate and zoom). The Gamebryo engine is versatile enough that it can be used to make such a game very effectively, and in fact there's a best-selling game exactly like that - Civilization IV (which is true to the legacy of its predecssors while introducing innovations and better graphics).

With Fallout 3 such a financial success, there's no way Bethesda will give up their option on Fallout 4 and 5, and I wouldn't expect them to do those right either. The only hope for a game like Fallout is for a new spiritual successor to be made, much like Fallout itself was the spiritual successor to the classic Wasteland.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Hey I was on the original site as well Mr Handy and the site of that Christian roleplaying game which died out along time ago too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, you were there too (you registered there to play in this game), and so was Stompie, who has been absent for months. Regnum Dei got almost to the end of Episode II before the players dropped out. We could still continue if you want. The site where it was hosted went down temporarily, and several posts in the database were lost and could not be restored. I crossposted the story posts to another site once, but I haven't been able to find it yet. It's a shame, as I have some cool ideas for the Episode II finale and for Episode III.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

well where would it be and who would play it since I think I am the only one left?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

We could still play it on the same site. It's been back up again for quite some time. I'd just have to find and repost the story segments. If you're still in contact with the other players, you can try asking them if they still want to play. Even if they don't, it can still be played with one player. Of course, it wouldn't be any time soon. I have my hands full with a lot of things, and I've got plenty to catch up on.

I also won't be able to post the map tonight, unfortunately. I have it written down on paper, but there's no time to draw it in Paint, so that probably won't come until next weekend. Until then I'll try to describe the locations and how to get to where you want to go as best I can.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”