IC-JUNO-Trouble In Store(Everyone)

The survivors from the T-Bone flee for the safety of Warren Air Force Base, while a lone woman struggles against all odds to stay alive in a very dangerous place. A small group of survivors races across Nebraska in a pickup truck. The helicopter group arrives in Omaha in a last ditch effort to save the world, but time is running out. Z-Day seems to last forever, but it will come to an end. The sun is getting lower, and night is coming...

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC-JUNO-Trouble In Store(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
Kyle squeezed Lauren's hand back, making sure to be gentle about it. He felt a tingle when her hand touched his. "Don't be afraid, Lauren," he said. "I'll protect you." He peered out into the darkening purple sky. "Who is it, mister?" he asked Ho Nguyen. "I can't see nothin'!"

Victor Gonzalez climbed through the hole and onto the roof.

Ho Nguyen gasped as the figure rushed closer, but he did not panic in the slightest. "It one of them!" he shouted, raising his rifle to his shoulder and taking aim at its head. It was difficult to aim properly in the gathering darkness, and his first shot missed as a result. He drew back the bolt and chambered a second round before taking another shot. This time his bullet struck home and blew his target's brains out. "Got him!"

In the back hall-
Marcus examined the back door. It was made of solid metal, and it and the hinges seemed very sturdy. Still, he'd rather not have to put them to the test. He unlocked and opened the door and looked outside. The dumpster wasn't far from the door, and he might be able to move it into place to blockade the door himself. With help it would be a lot easier. As he looked around, he heard the rifle shots and his boss calling out "Got him!" on the roof.
OOC,[b]Marcus[/b], if you want to try to move the dumpster by yourself to block off the back door, roll STR x 3.
In the store-
"Yeah, let's get away from the front doors," said Cynthia, walking arm in arm with Kathryn to the back of the store. "You coming, Richard?"

Helen also moved out from behind the counter and joined the other women at the rear of the store, her shotgun resting on her shoulder.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Mr H,One) Can Victor roll Spot Hidden this round and if so Two) What would be the score he would have to hit in the gathering darkness. His current score is 45 in daylight.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, you may roll Spot Hidden at half skill. Shooting at anything would also halve your weapon skill, and that's before any -5 for shooting at the head. That would mean you'd hit on a 17 or less. If you succeed at your Spot Hidden roll, wait until I tell you what you see before reacting to it.
OOC,EDIT: Actually, your Rifle skill is 45%, but you have no rifle. Your Handgun skill is 60%, so you'd hit on a 25 or less with it. However, its range is limited. Anything within 30 yards of the store will be fully visible, so you'd get to use your full skill if anything ever gets that close.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor saw Ho fire and went to the edge of the roof to look around and see if he saw anything else. In the gathering darkness he thought he saw something move. "What the heck is that? Hey Ho do you have an extra rifle that I can use. My handgun is pretty useless but I want to help defend the store."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,You really needed 22 or less to succeed, since half of your skill is 22.5% and you need less than or equal to your skill. I leave fractions in place in this situation instead of rounding them.
On the roof-
What Victor saw wasn't moving - not any more. He followed the trajectory of Ho's rifle with his eyes and saw the dead body lying a mere 40 yards from the store, a large bullet hole in its head. There was no movement out there as far as he could see, which was a little under half a mile.

"This my only rifle," said Ho. "Marcus have one too, but it his. Revolver not useless, anyway. Anything close enough to see, close enough to hit with that. That .44 Magnum, so if you hit, it probably die."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,How close would someone standing on top of the dumpster be to climbing up to the roof if it were next to the building?
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by ryansommer »

Emily cringed and wanted to curl up into a ball and just get away from all of this when she heard the rifle shots. The reality that she would probably never be able to keep Lauren completely safe filled her with despair... but only briefly. She snapped back to reality and knew she had to act like a lioness guarding her cub if she were to keep Lauren safe. She stood up and walked over to Mr. Ho. "Mr. Ho, are there flashlights in the store down stairs? If so, I think we could use them up here to spot our enemies. Those gun shots are sure to bring more of them running and I fear we are in for a long night."
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years

Post by Iam477 »

Lauren cringed when she heard the shot. Her heart started pumping and the fear started melting. "Thanks Kyle. Thanks for everything. I'm gonna give the rifle to Victor if you don't mind, I would only shoot one of us if i tried using it." She looked over at Victor. "You can use this rifle I've got. I've got some bullets for it too. I wouldn't mind trading you for that pistol of yours."
A coward is one who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.
-Ambrose Bierce
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The dumpster is about four feet high, and the roof is a little over twelve feet high. It is possible to get up there from the dumpster with a successful Climb roll. Using the ladder is easier, and no roll is required unless there's a zombie right behind you or something. Before you go trading weapons, just a note on their capabilities. The base skill for Rifle is normally 25%, but in this game we've been allowing everyone to have the base skill in Rifle at 30%. The base skill for Handgun is only 20%. Further, that .44 Magnum [b]Victor[/b] is carrying has a lower base skill due to severe recoil, only 15%. [b]Victor[/b]'s actual Handgun skill is 65%, but it's effectively 60% with his gun. Thus, [b]Lauren[/b] would have a much harder time using it than the .22 rifle. The base range for both weapons is the same: 30 yards. The .22 rifle only does 1d6+2 damage, while the .44 Magnum does 1d10+1d4+2 damage. [b]Victor[/b] probably won't want to trade anyway.
On the roof-
"You're welcome, Lauren," said Kyle, smiling. "I'm real glad you're my friend. Um, it's okay if you want to trade him the rifle for now, but make sure you trade back before we leave. That...that was Pa's rifle, and I want you to have it. I can show you how to shoot better. Pa always said I was a pretty good shot with it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Victor smiled at Lauren and said, "Lauren right? Thanks for the offer but this .44 would be harder to use for you and the range is the same. Tell you what though, I think that if you stayed up on the roof we both could kill double the creatures. Maybe your boyfriend could stay also?"
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc,Wasn't thinking about me... was thinking about the Zed-mongers. If we could climb up there, so can they. I presume the dumpster is by default a distance away from the roof. Are there any other structures that might create a means for the creatures to get up to the roof that we need to be concerned about? Oh, btw... my image apparently no longer exists for Marcus. You can use this one instead. It's a little smaller: http://www.joblo.com/images_movie_reviews/green_mile.jpg - I'm hoping it allows external viewing.
Marcus looked up toward the roof hearing the shot, back at the dumpster, and scanning the surrounding area for movement, but it was too dark to make anything moving out there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Thanks, I've replaced the picture. The dumpster is actually against the back wall of the store right now, near the southeast corner. There is nothing else nearby that could be used to climb up on the roof. The vehicles in the parking lot are parked far enough from the store that this isn't an issue. [b]Marcus[/b] has never seen zombies climb before, and they tend to lack coordination, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.
On the roof-
"Yes, there a couple flashlights inside," said Ho Nguyen to Emily. "Good thinking."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Where are the flashlights? I'll have someone down below gather them up for us."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the roof-
"In storeroom," said Ho. "Unless Marcus already got them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily shouted down into the store: " Marcus, did you grab the flashlights from the store room? If so, could you bring them up here? You should probably keep at least one down there in the event the power goes out here."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Marcus doesn't respond, not wishing to draw any attention to himself when he is so vulnerable. He grabs an empty paint can sitting next to the door and props the door open so he doesn't get locked out, then rushes over to the dumpster intent on pushing it away from the building at least a couple feet.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

OOC: Does Emily see of hear this? Is there anyone on his side of the building on the roof covering him?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Emily[/b] and [b]Marcus[/b] can hear each other. [b]Victor[/b] just climbed up through the hole in the storeroom's ceiling, so he's close enough to cover [b]Marcus[/b]. [b]Marcus[/b], roll STR x 3.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily moves from the hole in the roof and peeks over the edge of the roof to keep an eye on Marcus.
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years

Post by Iam477 »

Lauren look at Victor and blushed. She looked at her hand and withdrew it quickly. "Your right. I just don't feel comfortable with the gun. And I'm sorry Kyle I didn't know it was your dads... I'll try to take care of it, the best that I can." She looked back out across the parking lot trying to see if anything moving caught her eye.
A coward is one who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.
-Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Chapter 4 - The Longest Day”