IC-THRU-The Conqueror Worm(Everyone)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Re: IC-THRU-The Conqueror Worm(Everyone)

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: Sorry, I meant Frank. I edited my post above.)
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Fearlessfred »

(I think your enjoying this to much Mr. Handy. This is turning into a slaughter.)
In the Comm Room-
"She was right. If we had simply lisened to them." He steps out onto the balcony and is shocked he stays sane and rushes back into the comm room. "We need help now!"
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: Yeah, I think there is only one way for this to end.....)
mrcartoon
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by mrcartoon »

On the Motel Balcony:
Kincaid is taken off his feet by the explosion, his body slams to the floor.

East of the Motel:
Applebee freezes looking to the bloodied tourniquet wrapped around his leg, remembering moments before, being attacked by the ghoul. His mouth moves to speak to no audio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
sanity loss. (0/1d10=)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Actually, there's a few ways this can end - but none of them are very good! Just try to get the least bad possible ending!

Applebee, you need to roll 1d10 for Sanity loss. If you lose 5 or more, you then need to roll Idea and try to fail. The 0/1d10 format just meant you lose 0 Sanity if your roll succeeds and 1d10 if you fail.)

On the motel balcony-
Luckily, Kincaid was only moderately wounded by the shrapnel.

(Kincaid, you may now fire your SAW. If you do so, decide how many bullets you're firing - maximum of 20 - and make a Machine Gun roll. If you hit, make the other rolls as described in the initial post.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by John Gaunt »

- At the ruined diner

Lisa Crow
looks about frantically: "Who's gotta spare piece they can lend me?! I'm jammed! Someone gimmee a gun!"

How many rounds will it take to unjam? What do you need me to roll?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(You can't clear the jam yet, since you've already acted this round. Next round I'll tell you what to do. I'm just waiting for those rolls for Kincaid and Applebee before I update.
Fearlessfred wrote:(I think your enjoying this to much Mr. Handy. This is turning into a slaughter.)
*hides leather jacket with "Death From Below" on the back and plush worm*

Who, me? Whatever gave you that idea?

*whistles innocently*)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Can Cheng use a grenade without killing anyone?
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Fearlessfred »

Fearlessfred wrote:(I think your enjoying this to much Mr. Handy. This is turning into a slaughter.)
*hides leather jacket with "Death From Below" on the back and plush worm*

Who, me? Whatever gave you that idea?

*whistles innocently*)
[/quote]

Oh nothing just the fact that in under there was the ham and cheese sandwhich, here there was the Worm and in over
well I have no clue what you have there but it's probably a giant evil flying chicken of doom or something similar.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Giant evil flying chicken of doom, huh? *scribbles notes hastily, then hides them* What? ;)

Cheng cannot throw a grenade. Right now he's using his action to move to where Applebee, Lt. Blanco, and Zorie Spooner are, at the southeast corner of the motel. Even if he stays where he is, he cannot see anything to throw a grenade at. The motel keeps him from seeing the worm and the only active zombie left at the motel, which is at the northwest corner. The horde of zombies to the east is almost 300 yards away, much too far to throw a grenade. You could fire your rifle at them if you stay where you are. You'd be at full skill, with only the -5 penalty for a head shot, but the doctors wouldn't be able to treat your wound this round.

Keith still hasn't acted yet. He's currently at the top of the stairs, and he's free to shoot at one of the zombies crawling up from below or one of the ones to the east. Melinda may also act, though she doesn't have a rifle. Everyone else except Kincaid and Applebee has already done something this round, and otherwise I'm just waiting for some dice rolls. I plan to update Wednesday night.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

" I think it's time to bug out, guys," says Keith as he fires at the approaching hoard and misses. "Let's all load up in the truck and get us some distance."
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

"Let's not forget the bikes," interjects Lisa, "and I still need a piece. Anyone?"
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Here you go" Keith says, grabbing his 9mm from his waist band, " You can use this."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the ruined diner-
"Or you can use my .45 if it's more your speed, honey," said Tsuba, taking aim with his AK-47 at a zombie.

(Lisa, you may take whichever gun you prefer, but remember that you can't act again since you've already done something since this thread started. I'll update again tomorrow night.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

Lisa takes the proffered 9mm from Keith. "Thanks, sweetie," she says with genuine warmth. Tucking the malfunctioning pistol in her waist band, she thumbs the safety to OFF and chambers a round into the newly acquired pistol. "It ain't got nothing to do with speed, baby," she says to Tsuba with a twinkle in her eye, "I'm already packed with 9 mill mags."
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Colin yelled, "Lewie Newton, come ride in the truck with me and Joe. I need your help to get him back from insanity."
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Can Melinda shoot the creature?
mrcartoon
Layman
Layman

Post by mrcartoon »

(ooc: sorry.. been meaning to post sooner, but had to finish off a contract, I'll finish my posting tonite.)

sanity loss: Applebee 1
mrcartoon
Layman
Layman

Post by mrcartoon »

On the Motel Balcony:
Kincaid whinces as he struggles to his feet, ignoring his wounds from the embedded shrapnel. Clutching the SAW close against his chest while keeping low to the ground and away from the railing, Kincaid moves slowly, cautiously along the east to the ladder leading to the parking lot below.

"...no no."

(ooc: as much as I wanna try my hand at fighting... I don't want to have my character horribly crushed, eaten or whatever else you've got in store just yet.. already going to lose applebee and I didn't even get to light anyone on fire :( )
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(That's okay, my wormy has plenty of other targets to destroy. This just means it won't have nasty pointy bits of metal thrust into it at high velocity. 8-)

And Applebee's not dead yet...though that may change soon...

Melinda isn't close enough to shoot any zombies with her pistol, and she's only get the base of 20% in Handgun anyway. The closest zombies are the crawlers coming up the stairs, but she can't see them from her current position.

Walkers from the east: 40 dead, 1 with 9 damage to head, 1 with 8 damage to head
Walkers from the west: 31/32 dead
1 at NW corner [9 damage to head, 10 damage to left leg]
NW barricade: 10/60 HP left
SW barricade: 48/60 HP left)

On the motel roof-
Ernest Granger lay amidst the corpses of his companions, tears streaming down his cheeks.

West of the motel-
The gargantuan worm shrugged off the shrapnel from the grenade and descended to the parking lot. The wounds it had taken continued to close up, though it still looked rather injured. Then it slithered around the southwest corner of the motel. Hodges could no longer see it with the building in his way.

The zombie at the northwest corner kept munching on what was left of poor Phillips. Ortega lay unconscious a few feet away.

(Hodges, you cannot see the worm to attack it. You may shoot at the zombie if you wish, or you may move to a new position.)

East of the motel-
Cheng reached the southeast corner of the motel, where Zorie stood ready to look at his arm. "Oh, no..." she said. She was so saddened to see that he had been bitten that she couldn't concentrate on bandaging the wound. Lt. Blanco tried to help her, but she wasn't having any luck either. Then she looked to the west and saw a sight that made even her normally steady hands quiver. The worm was sliding towards the small group at the corner, and was now only six yards away!

(Cheng and Applebee, roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1d3/1d20, so you lose 1d20 if you fail the roll, and if you succeed you still lose 1d3. If you lose 5 or more, you may go temporarily insane. If that happens, roll Idea. If you fail this roll, you are still in control of yourself. If you succeed at the Idea roll, you are temporarily insane and cannot act freely. If you remain sane, you may act before the creature does. You can attack it, using your normal skill with the +20 bonus to hit. If you fire a 3 round burst from your rifle, you get another +20 for a total of +40. If you hit with a burst, roll 1d3 to see how many bullets hit. Each rifle bullet that hits it will do 2d8-5 damage. If you get an impale, the first bullet does 4d8-5 while the others do 2d8-5. If you get a critical hit, which happens on a roll of 5 or less, each bullet does 2d8 damage. The worm is too close to use a grenade or a rocket without hurting yourselves. You can also flee to the north, which will put you around the corner from the worm.)

On the motel balcony-
Amanda, David, and Dr. Owens fled north along the east side of the balcony and soon reached the ladder and the zipline. As they did, they saw Kincaid come into view at the northeast corner.

(Kincaid, you can reach the middle of the eastern part of the balcony this round if you wish. This will put you where the ladder and zipline are, but you will not be able to descend this round.)

In the comm room-
"Sergeant Black, come in!" barked Curtis into his microphone. There was no response. "Anyone on the roof, please respond! Coltrane, Ortega, do either of you read me? We need help here!"

"Ramirez, have you got any spare magazines?" asked Lt. Doolittle. "I've fixed the M-4, and two carbines are better than one. I'm not very good with long arms, though."

"I can use an M-4," said Mikhalin. "I've had some training."

"Um...didn't you shoot your commanding officer?"

"My commanding officer was Lt. Elizabeth Malone, not that crazed Captain Lereux." She glanced at the corpses, which were still lying on the floor an hour after their deaths, their bodies riddled with bullets. "If I shot her, it was after she died and got back up."

"You know her better than I do, Ramirez," said Lt. Curtis. "It's up to you whether or not you trust her to use that M-4 Doolittle's got." He got on the line with Warren again. "Lt. Colonel Carmichael, we've taken heavy casualties! We've lost Sergeant Black and his partner, and I don't know what shape our senior airmen are in. All our best marksmen are most likely dead. Without those reinforcements, we cannot hold our position."

"I don't know what else to tell you, Lieutenant," answered Carmichael. "A helicopter can only fly so fast. We've got one of them inbound for refuelling, and I've given instructions to assemble reinforcements. They're being selected and equipped as we speak. The only thing I can do to shorten the amount of time it takes for them to reach you is to only pump enough fuel into the chopper for it to reach you and no more. That might shave fifteen minutes off their ETA, but we're still talking a good 45 here. Your position is important enough to hold that it's worth sacrificing a helicopter. Hell, we already did that, so it's worth another. We can try to send more fuel to you on another flight when we have time, but this may be a one-way trip."

"Do it, sir!"

"You need to hold out until they arrive and do whatever you can to kill whatever's attacking the motel. Enlist the aid of the civilians. The only other option is to scramble a fighter and have it put some missiles into any hostile target it detects, but if it's as close to the motel as you're saying we'd run the risk of taking out communications, and I don't think we can afford that."

At the garage-
Coltrane gawked when he saw the zombies to the east closing in. Though shaken, he was still himself. "Sir, Coltrane here," he said over the airwaves.

"Thank God you're still alive," replied Curtis. "Where the hell are you?"

"Sir, I'm at the garage helping to shoot the hostiles to the east."

"Screw that, we need you back here now! Hitch a ride with the civvies. Better yet, bring them with you! There's some kind of giant worm attacking the motel from the other side! It took out Black, Sheen, and a bunch of other good men. If the civilians won't come along willingly, remind them that it's martial law and they've just been drafted. Or reactivated if they're former military, which several of them are. We can't hold the motel without them even if we do kill this thing!"

"Yes, sir!" He called across to Clarence Deeds. "Mr. Deeds, sir! We need to fall back to the motel. No doubt you've heard what my CO just said on the radio." He climbed into the back of Colin's pickup truck. "Take us back to the motel, fast! Don't drive into the booby traps we've set up!" He pointed out the three tripwires.

Lewie Newton climbed down the ladder from the roof and hurried over. "Joe, hang in there buddy!" he called. "Come on back, man, we need you!"

Joe Soarez instantly came to his senses. He even felt somewhat better. He climbed out of the truck and got on his bike. "Go on, Colin, I'm right behind you!"

(Melinda, roll Sanity for seeing the zombies now that they're closer. Sanity loss is 0/1d10.)

At the ruined diner-
Clarence looked at the incoming zombies to the east without flinching. Then he glanced west at the motel and caught sight of his wife on the east side. "Amanda!" he shouted. "We're coming!" He turned back to his sons and the two women. "You heard the man, we've got to go to the motel. Back to the vehicles! If our guys and gals in uniform didn't need us we could have all just hit the road, but that's not an option now. Even if Amanda weren't still there, I've still got my duty. These colors don't run." With that, he took off for the garage. Tsuba was right behind him. The three remaining zombies crawled toward the surface and were now halfway up the last flight of stairs.

(Keith, Sue, and Lisa, you may reach the garage this round. If you stay to shoot at more zombies, any surviving crawlers coming upstairs will get to attack you afterwards. Lisa you may move and try to clear your jammed pistol at the same time. To do this, roll against either Handgun or Mechanical Repair, whichever is higher. If you succeed, roll 1d6 to see how many rounds it will take to finish, including this one. If you fail, you just wasted the round. If you critically fail, you break your weapon.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”