IC-THRU-The Conqueror Worm(Everyone)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-THRU-The Conqueror Worm(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Keith and Frank know that there have been between 150 and 200 zombies that have approached from the west since they arrived at the motel, not counting the ones that were just spotted. However, they have no idea how many arrived in the morning, since they weren't there. In all, it is probably more than the entire population of Potter, so it seems probable that many of them came from Kimball originally. There have been several hundred zombies coming from the east during the course of the day. Most of them must have come from Sidney, especially since Brownson was flattened early on. Sidney is a much bigger town than Kimball. There is unlikely to be anything special in Potter or Dix in terms of supplies, considering their size. There may be some food and water, but you have way more than enough on you to get to the base. Sidney does have the HQ of Cabela's, where Melinda once worked. There were plenty of guns and ammo left there when the Rough Riders got done looting the store, but it's six miles in the wrong direction and there are likely to be a lot of zombies in your way.)

On the motel roof-
Dr. Owens finally snapped out of it, staring at the untreated bite wound on his arm. He bandaged it with his torn sleeve, repairing the damage. But he knew that the poison was already in his blood, and sooner or later it would kill him. Already he felt it burning in his veins.

Between the motel and the T-Bone-
David continued runninng for the truck. He was now only 25 yards away.

On the road-
Looking to the west, Keith could see approximately three dozen figures advancing slowly through the grass a short distance north of the highway. They were about a quarter of a mile from the intersection, and at their current pace it would take them another three minutes to reach it. He could also just barely see Potter from here, but could not determine if there was anyone in it from this distance. It was on the north side of Route 30 and the railroad tracks, which ran parallel to I-80 not far to the north. Colin watched as David cleared most of the distance to his truck. Lt. Doolittle could barely see the motel, and while she could tell that there was a lot of movement in and around it, she couldn't make out any details without a scope or binoculars.

Coltrane peered to the south as he reloaded his M-16 by feel. "It looks clear that way," he said. "I don't think we've got time to go salvaging supplies from towns along the way. We're less than an hour from Warren anyhow, and going into a populated area would only put us all at risk. If we can find and rescue survivors that would be great, but we don't want to get too close. Warren AFB is on the west side of Cheyenne. It's small as cities go, but it's bigger than anything else in this neck of the woods. Cutting through the heart of the city to reach the base would be suicidal, so I recommend heading around Cheyenne either to the north or the south. We'd still have to contend with going through the suburbs as we got closer, but it wouldn't be as bad. I have no idea what's between here and there, however. If we were following the highway we could find it easily enough, but we'd also run into plenty of the dead. I suggest using the back roads." He nods to Lt. Doolittle. "Ma'am, you're in charge, so what we do is up to you."

Zorie Spooner blinked and looked around, finally herself once more. "Oh, you're hurt!" she said as reality sank in. She took out her medical kit and treated Lt. Doolittle's injuries from her leap off of the balcony, and she was soon as good as new. "Don't look at me for directions. I'm totally lost."

Amanda pondered how best to get to Warren AFB by the back roads, but she wasn't sure which way to go. Lisa merely shrugged. "Here, you can have this back," she said to Keith, returning his pistol to him. "I've got mine working again." She reloaded her Beretta.

(If you've already rolled Navigate, don't roll again, but if you haven't you should. I still haven't gotten rolls from Lt. Doolittle, Frank Hodges, Keith, or Melinda. If nobody succeeds at a Navigate roll, the trip will take longer as you will likely get lost along the way. You may also reload your weapons if you wish to do so, taking up one combat round per magazine swapped, and you may each additionally choose a direction and make another Spot Hidden roll this round. Colin will see the most detail through his scope. if you already succeeded at a Spot Hidden roll last round and want to keep watching in the same direction, you do not need to roll again.

If anyone wants to shoot at the zombies to the west, you have five combat rounds. You'll have to succeed at a Spot Hidden roll first while looking west, which will take up one combat round if you succeed. If you fail, you will not get to shoot during this set of five rounds. Keith does not need to roll, since he already saw them, but he will need to reload at some point, which will cost a combat round. Only those with rifles have a real chance of hitting. Colin's rifle has a scope, so he may use his full skill with only the -5 penalty for aiming at the head if he sees them. However, it has a slower rate of fire and he will only get two shots this time. Everyone else with a rifle will be at half skill.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Melinda looks at the road and then says:
-That way!

OOC: Thats was fantastic roll!

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Colin Lewis turned his scope to the west to find the zombies. "There the bastards are." He took aim at one of the zombies heads and fired. Not only did the bullet hit true but the head exploded in gore and the zombie dropped to never walk again. He took aim at another zombie head and fired. Again the shot was spot on perfect and the zombie fell to not rise anymore.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

In the back of his truck-
"We've got imcomming," Keith shouts to the group. Seeing that they are a ways off still, Keith begins to reload his rifle. "Should we wait for the survivor at the motel to get in his truck and hopefully meet up with us?"
(OOC: I rolled a navigate and failed, but my browser crashed before I could submit it and now the IC Search page is not working. I failed regardless.)

Standing next to the Honda-
Franks head staps to the west as he hears the call of incomming infected. He is immediatly able to spot them approaching. Gauging their distance, he realized waiting for them to get closer would increase his chance of hitting and, thus, saving his ammo. As he waits, he grabs a map and attempts to discern a path to Warren but he is unable to do so.
fulcilives2003
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by fulcilives2003 »

Sure Navigating on the ground and in the air are two entirely seperate things, but still Lt. Doolittle was able to map out a route following the back roads to the south to get to the Base.

"Here, this is the route we go. If we spot any areas with survivors or supplies and said areas appear to be low risk, we stop. Who is still back at the motel?"
so says I "The amazing man wonder"
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Colin made mention of seeing someone making it off the roof and running for a truck. I didn't catch the name of the person, but that sounds like survivor behavior."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the diner parking lot-
David reached his truck and hopped into the driver's seat. He already had his keys out, and he shoved them into the ignition and started the engine. Then he began to drive west.

On the motel roof-
When Dr. Owens saw the truck begin to move, he decided to take his chances and try to escape from the motel. He wrapped his jacket around the zipline, held onto the sleeves, and slid down.

East of the motel-
Dale reached the ground safely, but then the zombies at the motel turned toward him and started heading his way. Several of them were moving very quickly, and he had to race to stay ahead of them. Even so, they were catching up. He waved frantically to the truck as it began to turn toward the highway. "Pick me up!" he shouted. "I know I've been bitten, but I can still be useful for the next few hours!"

David spun the wheel and swung up alongside him. "Get in, fast!" he yelled. Dr. Owens threw open the door and hopped in, just a few yards ahead of the zombies. David turned away from them, having slowed down but never stopped. He picked up speed and drove back to the highway, getting onto it and heading west. The entire horde pursued the truck.

On the road-
With a little help from Lt. Doolittle, Melinda worked out the best route to reach Warren AFB by the back roads south of I-80. They would need to start by turning left here at the intersection.

"That would be David," said Zorie Spooner, reloading her pistol. "I think your friend Dr. Dale Owens was with him. We should really wait for them to catch up to us."

"Yes, but we can't stay here too long," said Coltrane. He peered into the field, easily making out the approaching zombies. "I count 34 of them left, and they'll be on our position in two minutes. I think we should leave after one minute, heading south. Hopefully that will give David enough time to reach us, or at least to see which way we're headed. Save your ammo, there's no way we can kill them all before they get here. All we can do is put as much distance as possible between us and them. Stay in your vehicles and get ready to pull out." He loaded his M-16 with a full magazine, then filled up one of his partial magazines from the other.

(It's okay that there's no link to Keith's Navigate roll. Only one of you needed to succeed anyway, and Melinda already had the best success. You have five more combat rounds before the next update. Everyone with a rifle may use their full skill, and other than that the same rules from the last update apply. Colin Lewis may shoot three times, or he may reload instead.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin got back into the truck and reloaded his rifle to have 5 bullets in it. He started the truck and got ready to pull out with the group.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

At the Honda-
After checking his gear, Frank climbed back into the passengers seat of the Honda and instinctivly reached for the seat belt. He paused, realizing that the world had gone to shit and that he didn't want to get tangled up in a seat belt and let the belt go. He had to chuckle at how pavlovian reaching for a seat belt had become for everyone.
fulcilives2003
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by fulcilives2003 »

Doolittle got back into her car saying, "If anyone can get a hold of the survivor back at the hotel, fine. If not we wait as long as we safely can. We then drive off, I'll lead the way, and we just hope he can follow our trail."
so says I "The amazing man wonder"
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"That truck would cetainly me a nice thing to have over that Honda," Keith said. "Mon, Lisa, do you two want to hop in the truck and I will head back and meet the truck?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"I'll ride in the other pickup with Colin again," said Coltrane, getting out of Keith's truck. "You can ride shotgun with Melinda if you like. Say, you've got CB radios in these trucks of yours. I bet we could raise David with them." He glanced back. "Hey, here he comes now!" The big rig was approaching quickly from the east.

"Lisa, why don't you ride with Colin too?" asked Amanda. "I do like your company, but it's safer for you to be in an enclosed vehicle rather than on the back of my bike. I'll stay on my Harley. I'd hate to leave it behind." Lisa nodded and reluctantly slid into the cab, moving over so that Coltrane could get into the shotgun seat.

"Can I have my gun back?" Dr. Owens asked David as the truck got closer to the vehicles stopped at the intersection. "You can have it after I die, but I can be a lot more useful with it. Here's the one you gave me."

"Okay," said David, exchanging pistols with him, "but if you start getting a hankering for my insides, I want you to end it. I can do it for you if you can't."

"Do we have to tell the others I've been bitten?"

"I'm afraid so. You saw all the trouble that happened because you didn't tell anyone about your boy until it was almost too late. Baldwin died because of that. That's not gonna happen to anyone else, not on my watch." David stopped at the intersection beside the other vehicles. "We might want to get a move on! All those dead guys are hot on my tail back there. They're a ways behind, but they'll catch up if we stay here jawing."

"We've got another batch coming from the west, and it's almost here," said Coltrane. He shuddered when he saw how close they were, but he was fairly used to the sight and it did not affect him too badly. "We'll stay in touch by CB, but we'd better get rolling fast. Melinda worked out a route to Warren AFB."

"That's great! Wish I had time to give her a kiss. I'll lead the way. My truck's big enough to handle anything that gets in our path. Just tell me where to go."

"You can start by turning left. We'll be heading west after a couple of miles, so we'll tell you when to turn."

"Roger, Roger. Heh." David made a wide left turn and began driving south. Amanda kick-started her Harley and began to follow a short distance behind and off to the side.

(Keith, I presume you're riding with Melinda, but you're free to get into the back or into another vehicle if you prefer. All drivers - Lt. Doolittle, Melinda, and Colin - will need to work out which order everyone is driving in. The two pickup trucks and the Harley can go off-road if needed, but David's semi and the car will have to stick to the roads. You'll want to pull out now, as if you remain at the intersection, the zombies from the west will start to arrive. Nobody else needs to roll Sanity, as the only other people who have seen the zombies already lost 10 this chapter for seeing them, and you'll be gone before they get here if you leave now.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin will follow the truck that Melinda is in.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-It's better that we go by the road, less chance to be lost or find some obstacle, and we may actually find someone alive in the way. Should we go now?- says Melinda, more and more nervous.

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

(Keith will ride in the cab with Melinda. I suggest an order of The Semi, Colin's Truck, the car, the harley and then Melinda's truck)
"Yep, let's head out."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Would't be prefered to be the truck first? If any zombie appears, the truck can still continue and smash it.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin said, " I think we should drive in this order. Melinda, then me, then the harley, then the car, then the semi."

(Occ-If no one else moves before the next update Mr Handy simply have Colin pull out first before we can get attacked by zombies ok?)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: I will only be able to post monday as usuall, so I'm fine for any decision.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: The point of having the semi first is that is is massive and can clear a path if we encounter anything like that.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Don't worry, everyone will get out of there before the zombies arrive. I'm just waiting for a post for Lt. Doolittle before we continue.

That's exactly why David is going first in the semi, and he has in fact already turned the corner and started heading south. Amanda doesn't necessarily have to be second, as she can easily slip back and let someone pass her.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”