IC-THRU-The Conqueror Worm(Everyone)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Re: IC-THRU-The Conqueror Worm(Everyone)

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: Well, there are two groups:
1) Lt Doolittle and Hodges and someone else are in a car speeding north away from the motel.
2) Keith Deeds and a bunch of others are north of the motel and are talking about heading back to the motel to to do hit and run on them.

My directions may be off, but this is how I understand it.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Doolittle, Hodges, and Zorie Spooner are in a car just northwest of the motel and are currently heading east. They haven't decided where to go from there yet. Colin and the others are 5/8 of a mile south of the motel with two pickup trucks and one motorcycle. Once Colin and Melinda let me know where they're driving, I can update.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the car -

Frank spoke into the radio: "Where are you guys? We need to all meet up. The motel has been overrun, but the com gear is still there and I believe it needs to be secured. We are heading east at the moment." Frank looks around at his surroundings trying to determine possible routes the small Honda can take without it getting stuck. "I'm not sure we can take the jalopie off road, so you man all need to come east to our position. If we meet up and use the trucks to keep our distance, I think we can take them out. Some of our men are now fast moving, armored zombies but if we aim for their unarmored legs we can slow them down and keep us safe."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Colin and Melinda haven't said where they're driving, but their players have been online, so I'm going to go ahead and update again now. They haven't gone anywhere yet.

Walkers from the east: 43/85 dead, 1 with 9 damage to head, 1 with 8 damage to head, 1 with 7 damage to head, others with various damage from grenades
Runners from the east: 3/10 dead, 1 with no right leg [18 damage], 1 with no right arm [15 damage], 1 with 10 damage to left arm
Crawlers from the east: 3 with 9 damage to head
Luke: 3 damage
Sheen: 5 damage
Malanowski: 9 damage
Cole: 7 damage
Granger: 3 damage
Lewie Newton: 9 damage to head

Temporary insanity rounds remaining, not counting this one:
Zorie Spooner: 8
Dr. Dale Owens: 9)

West of the motel-
Frank put a bullet into the skull of Sergeant Black, punching through his helmet and dropping him. Then Lt. Doolittle pulled away to the north, turning hard to the right and speeding east past the north side of the motel to avoid Sheen, Malanowski, and the zombies coming from the west. Cole finished crushing Lt. Blanco to death, and Lewie Newton went after Lt. Curtis. He crawled over but couldn't quite reach him yet. At the southwest corner of the motel, Luke gave Mikhalin a deadly bear hug, snapping ribs and slaying her outright. Then he and Ernest Granger began to devour her.

On the motel roof-
David began to remove bullets from a partially full magazine and fill up another that was mostly full while he waited for the zombies to close in below. Dr. Owens continued to stare blankly.

East of the motel-
"This is Zorie Spooner," said Zorie on the radio as the car swept around the north side of the motel. "We killed the worm, but there's just too many zombies and the motel is getting it from both sides. I think it's a lost cause. Even if we could somehow take the motel back, how could we possibly hold it? The comm gear would take way too long to move, and even if we could take it with us in one of the trucks, it can't operate unless it's hooked up to that satellite dish. It's not my decision what to do, though. That's up to Lt. Doolittle. She's the ranking officer now that both Lt. Curtis and Lt. Blanco are gone." She blinked back tears, overwhelmed by Angela's death. "I couldn't save her...I tried so hard..." She broke down, knowing that it was her fault. She sat stock still in the back seat, terrified that she would join her.

The zombies on the northeast corner of the balcony ran down the stairs and pursued the car as it zipped past. They had stopped eating Ramirez because he was now running alongside them. Lt. Doolittle was easily able to outrun them in the car. She crossed the northern part of the parking lot, avoiding the slow-moving horde that was coming from the east. She reached the dirt road that was halfway between the motel and the garage. It led north into the distance, but about fifty yards to the north Baldwin's truck blocked the road. Two of its tires had been shot out, and it wasn't going anywhere. The ground to either side of the road was muddy, so it would not be easy to bypass it. To the south, the road connected to I-80, which went east and west. Once she had gotten well past the zombies, they ignored the car and headed for the motel. The first few zombies were now just a couple of yards away from it, and the back of the pack was 25 yards off.

(Lt. Doolittle, you may choose where to drive. If you follow the dirt road north, you'll need to go off the road to pass the truck, in which case you'll need to roll Drive Auto. The base skill is 20%. You may drive around the zombies and get onto I-80 heading either east or west without having to roll anything. Warren AFB is some 40 miles to the west. Frank Hodges, if you want to shoot at a zombie, you'll be at half skill now that the car is moving. The -5 penalty for aiming at the head is applied after halving your skill.)

South of the motel-
Amanda hugged her son back with all her strength, leaning on him for support. "We need to get to Warren AFB," she said. "It's about forty miles west of here. We'll be safe there. I know David and Dr. Owens are alive back there, up on the roof, but David plans for them to get out on that zipline and escape in his truck once the mob reaches the motel and the path between them and the truck is clear."

"Lt. Doolittle, ma'am," said Roger Coltrane, "I've got five civilians here with me, but only the two men have rifles. We're a little over half a mile south of your position. What are your orders?" He spoke to Keith next. "Lt. Doolittle got out of the motel and is in a car with Airman Frank Hodges and Zorie Spooner. Hodges is a good man. We can depend on him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
fulcilives2003
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by fulcilives2003 »

Lt. Doolittle, slightly upset at the way Zorie starts to break down, holds back her own tears. As she drives the car west onto I-80 she says over the radio, "We are to pull out of the motel and head west. We can meet up and figure out what to do from there once we are at a safe distance from any danger. There is no point in throwing away any more lives for that stupid motel. It's a lost cause."

She then tries to calm down Zorie as best she can, telling her it wasn't her fault. None of this was anyone's fault.
so says I "The amazing man wonder"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Lt. Doolittle, you'll need to roll Psychoanalysis to calm Zorie down. The base chance is only 1%. Her temporary insanity will run its course eventually regardless.)

South of the motel-
"Yes, ma'am," said Coltrane. "We'll meet up with you. I recommend we get off the highway as soon as possible." He spoke to Keith and the others. "Lt. Doolittle's car is heading west on I-80. We should head northwest to join up with her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-We don't have to go to the hotel again?-says Melinda relieved-great, let's go to that road then!
She directs the truck to the highway.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the car -
With adrenaline surging through his veins, Frank takes one last shot one of the many infected in the region. The shot flies harmlessly high. Turning back in his seat to face forward, Frank lets out a big sigh. His hands beging to shake as the gravity of what befell the others, his friends, weighs on him. He puts his face in his hands as he remembers them. Finally, he sits back up, his dirty face streaked with tears: "They didn't deserve that. None of them did. They were good men. Soldiers. And to end it like that...." He turns his head and stares out the window of the car.

At the trucks -
The relief of seeing his mother again quickly washes over Keith as he is brought back to reality: " Alright. Lets head north west and try to meet up with Lt. Doolittle" Keith says as he scans the area for signs of Lt. Doolittles car or approaching infected.

(OOC: Has anyone alive had any contact with Warren? Do any of us know about the PMS compound?)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Both Lt. Doolittle and Zorie Spooner were in the comm room while others were conversing with Warren AFB, but I don't think either of them spoke directly to anyone there. Zorie was originally deployed to the motel from the base itself, and Lt. Doolittle was stationed there too before she was sent to pick up survivors from the missile base and bring them from there to the motel. Coltrane and Hodges were among those survivors.

Some of the survivors at the vehicles here have heard that the PMS compound is located north of the truck stop, but they don't know exactly where it is. Clarence knew it was in the area, and he told the other Rough Riders about it, so Amanda, Lisa, Keith, Melinda, and Colin are aware of it. Nobody knows what the situation is at the compound. Zorie and David may or may not have knowledge of the compound, but none of the other characters would know whether they do or not.

Once I get a post for Colin, I'll update again.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: OKay. Thanks for the update. I, myself, am not sure what the status of Warren is. If they have been breached, if they are under attack, or if things are fine there so I am wondering if anyone in the group knows it's condition. Did any of the current survivors hear about the C-130 with reinforcements or the possibility of a helicopter with nerve agent cleaning up if they lost contact with us?)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(No problem. Lt. Doolittle and Zorie Spooner were in the comm room and heard all of that, though Zorie isn't responsive at the moment. Warren itself has not been breached, but it does have to deal with constant zombie attacks from Cheyenne, just to the east of the base. There is a missile base in eastern Wyoming that has been overrun and then nuked, but that base was a quite a distance northeast of the main base, and the winds are blowing the fallout eastward. It was in fact the same missile base from which Hodges and Coltrane were evacuated. The helicopter with the nerve gas won't be coming for some time, as it would need to fuel up and the chemical weapons would need to be loaded aboard first. Before that happens, the C-130 will fly over the area. There are SF paratroopers aboard who are ready to jump, but they won't do that if the motel has fallen - which it has. In that case, the C-130 will simply turn around and fly back to base.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Colin says, "Lets go to Warren." He began to drive that way.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Temporary insanity rounds remaining, not counting this one:
Zorie Spooner: 3
Dr. Dale Owens: 4)

West of the motel-
Lewie Newton reached Lt. Curtis, grabbing him and chomping down hard on his neck, biting his head off. The lieutenant would never rise again.

On the motel roof-
"Sorry, Doc," said David, "but I'm gonna have to leave you here. You've got some stuff on you that won't help you any, but I could sure use it. If you've got any objection to me taking it, say something now." Dale Owens did not respond, his thousand yard stare seeming to pass right through David. "Thanks, buddy." The trucker took the .40 pistol and ammunition from Dr. Owens, as well as his medical supplies. Then he tucked his Sig Sauer into the veterinarian's belt. "This piece and I go back a long ways. It's yours for what's left of your life. There's only one bullet in it, but that's all you're gonna need. I guess this is goodbye, then, huh?"

David waited for the horde to close in on the motel, standing on the eastern edge of the roof with his belt looped over the zipline. The zombies swarmed for the stairs and up onto the balcony. When the last of them got close to the motel, he stepped off the edge of the roof and slid down, landing safely in the parking lot.

East of the motel-
Lt. Doolittle turned right onto I-80 and sped west, leaving the motel and all the carnage far behind.

About a minute later, David landed and ran east toward his truck. The zombies left him alone, trying in vain to get to the much closer but inaccessible Dale Owens up on the roof.

South of the motel-
"Then let's head out," said Amanda. She got back on her Harley and drove off to the northwest, Lisa clinging to her back. Keith got back into the bed of his truck, while Coltrane remained in the shotgun seat. Melinda and Colin drove the trucks away, following Amanda. Keith caught sight of the car speeding west on the highway as he got closer, but he did not see any threats other than the zombies mobbing the motel.

On the road-
Lt. Doolittle drove west on I-80. Ahead of her, about half a mile from the motel, she saw a smaller road branching off to the north and south. She reached the intersection just as the motorcycle and the two pickup trucks arrived. A road sign beside the right shoulder gave distances to nearby towns in miles:
Potter 1
Dix 3
Kimball 5
(Everyone but David and Dr. Owens is present at the intersection. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves and decide on a course of action.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin says,
"Well Potter is a small town. Only about 390 people in the village so less of a chance for zombie hordes but they may not take kindly to strangers. Dix is a smaller village with about 260 souls in it. Same idea applies. We need to stay away from Kimball. It is the county seat and has around 3,000 potential zombies there. Although that could be a good place to lay up for a while as well. I vote for Dix but will go wherever people wish."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"I don't think stopping at those towns is such a hot idea," said Coltrane. "All those ghouls coming through the grass from the west either came from Potter and Dix, or they came from Kimball and blew through those towns. I doubt there's anyone left alive in Potter or Dix anyway. Either they got eaten, or they got the hell out of there. I still think our best bet's to get to Warren. If we stay in one of those towns, we'll be no safer than we would be back at the motel, especially if those things follow us."

"We should wait here a few minutes for David and Dr. Owens to catch up to us," said Amanda. "If anything comes this way first, then we'll have to bug out. Colin, maybe you can see something through your rifle's scope."

(Anyone who wants to may roll Spot Hidden, but specify which direction you're looking. Colin will be able to see more detail, since he has a scope. Also, everyone may roll Navigate once to try to help plan out a route. Lt. Doolittle may use her Navigate skill; aerial navigation is her specialty, but she can navigate on the ground too. If you don't have Navigate listed on your character sheet, the base skill is 10%. If you want to reload your weapons, you have time to do that now.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Colin says, "As I said, I was just commanting on maybe getting supplies on the way to Warren."
He used his scope to check out the way back toward the motel to see if anything was following them. He thought he saw something but it simply could be the waving grass in the breeze.
He also got some maps out of the truck to help plan a route to Warren. But he failed to find a good route and gave it up.
He reloaded his rifle.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Through his rifle's scope, Colin Lewis could see the zombies swamping the motel. The ones on the west either went over to gnaw on the bodies at the base of the northwest stairs or surged up the southwest stairs and onto the balcony, where they headed east. There were dozens of them visible, but he couldn't see the ones on the east side of the motel with the building in his way. He saw David running east from the motel's parking lot, heading for diner's parking lot. No zombies pursued him, and none were visible in the grass between the intersection and the motel. Colin could not see Dr. Owens.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
fulcilives2003
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by fulcilives2003 »

Lt. Doolittle let out a small sigh of relief. At least she is away from that hell hole. Still she felt uneasy. Stopping to figure out where to go was necessary, yes, but she still felt extremely uneasy. She turned away from the group for a moment. Let them figure out where to go, they probably knew more than she did. She wasn't even supposed to be here. That Colin guy seems to know enough about the area. With that uneasy feeling still sitting in her stomach she gazed back towards the motel.
so says I "The amazing man wonder"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-I agree, we can stay for some inutes, those creature are slow, and we can pick any survivors. But latter we should go to that base, it must be safer there!
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

In the bed of the truck-

Keith stood up and scanned the area to the west. After looking for threats he said to the others: "We may be able to skirt around the town and try to signal any survivors who might be there?
(OOC: Can Keith or Frank do some rough math in their heads around how many hoards of infected came from the west towards to motel?)

In the Honda-
Frank exited the passenger seat of the Honda and scanned the area to the north. The images of his friends heads snapping back as he shot them replayed in his head, preventing him from noticing anything.

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”