IC-OVER-Reunion(Flynn/Kathryn/Jack/Emily/Lauren/Kyle)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Re: IC-OVER-Reunion(Flynn/Kathryn/Jack/Emily/Lauren/Kyle)

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: Sorry Handy. I keep all of my characters in a OneNote notebook and I was looking at Carl Furst, not Emily. The text I added about protecting Lauren was just flavor text. It wasn't meant to imply that she was adding her 'protection bonus. My post above has been edited. Idea roll below.)

Emily's mind raced as she tought hard on the best way to protect Lauren and Kyle. Through determination along, she was able to filter out everytying that was going on around her and come up with an idea.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Making sure the coast is clear Kat exits the RV and closes the distance between the RV and the house. While she covers the ground with the hand gun she reflects on how to get Jack´s girls and the farm boy to safety.
Hoping that the short run wouldn´t go bad she was expecting another infected to intercept her on her way...

The idea of actually getting everyone on a boat still seems as a good idea. Is there any lakes nearby? she wonders as the idea resurfaces in her mind.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(That's okay. I hadn't realized you were looking at another character's stats. I just got the wrong idea because of the text and the fact that the roll was exactly 20 more than Emily's current Sanity.)

In the farmhouse-
Emily, Lauren, and Kyle all stood in the living room when they heard one last gunshot, followed by silence. Emily realized that while they would be safe up in the attic since the zombies couldn't reach them, they could be trapped up there again if zombies got inside the house and underneath the trapdoor. Last time Jack and Kathryn had returned and were able to draw the zombies away, but now they couldn't count on someone else coming along to rescue them. They could get stuck up there until they either died of thirst or had to take a chance climbing out the window. While they could delay the inevitable by bringing food and drink up to the attic with them, it would not last forever. In addition, the house itself was rather unsafe. Both the front and back doors had been destroyed, along with the barricades that had been meant to reinforce them. This entire mess had been started by just one zombie, and now there were less people around to deal with any others. However, if they were going to hit the road and find somewhere else to spend the night, they would have salvage what they could and leave quickly. There were only about two hours of daylight left, though they could stretch it to nearly three by heading west. Driving through the night to reach their destination was an option. It was risky, but so was staying somewhere that wasn't completely safe.

In the RV-
Kathryn's last shot blew Jack's brains out. As his body shook under the impact, it relaxed its grip on the crowbar. She retrieved his broken pistol and also noticed that he had a hand grenade on his belt as she was about to leave the vehicle. As she considered what to do next, it occurred to her that the RV was now badly damaged and would not be able to go as fast as it once could. It could be repaired, but that would take hours, and it would be dark long before they could finish. They could switch vehicles if there was another one available at the farm, but they would have to transfer everything they needed from the RV to it and it would not hold as much cargo, forcing them to abandon some things. The RV also had a fridge and freezer, as well as beds, a toilet, and other conveniences that would be absent in any replacement vehicle. They could always take both vehicles if they got another, but that would force the other vehicle to slow down to match the RV's pace. While traveling, it would be best to stick to back roads and avoid major highways and cities. Her idea of finding a boat was a good one. The zombies seemed too mindless and uncoordinated to be able to swim. However, she didn't know how to pilot a boat, and she didn't know if any of the others did either. That was presuming they could find one. There were rivers and lakes throughout Nebraska. In fact, there had been a lake bordering the north side of the airfield. Staying on a boat indefinitely could be a problem, though. They would have to live on lake water and whatever fish they could catch unless they went ashore for supplies. As a means of travel, however, a boat on a river could be very useful. The Lodgepole Creek went all the way west from Chappell to a point not far north of the truck stop, and beyond towards Warren AFB, parallel to Route 30 and I-80. Chappell was a long way to the west, though, and the creek itself was narrow.

(Kathryn, feel free to take the grenade and crowbar on your way to the house to join the others. All four of you may talk and interact freely now, but remember that you're burning daylight. Any actions you take will cut into the time remaining before it gets dark.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"This is Kat again, maybe we should leave this place? The house is battered as the RV... I believe we´ll have to stick to low gears at low speed. But that will take us towards the base at least. I´ll drive up to the house and you can gather the supplies on the porch. What do you say?" Realizing the RV isn´t ready for the scrap yard - just yet, Kat retrieves the grenade at Jack´s belt and drags the two corpses out of the interior and dumps them in the field. Then she fires up the engine and drives up to the house that used to be Kyle´s home.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Kyle, this is your place, so you know where things are. Where can we find food and water and such? Is there anything useful in the cellar? I'll gather up food and supplies, can you go to the barn and grab some tools we might need as well as the extra ammunition? Do you have a hunting rifle or any other guns? Lauren, can you go grab some sheets and pillow cases from upstairs to put all of the supplies in? While up stairs, grab any medical supplies you might find, okay? Thanks, darling."

Emily turned to the kitchen and peered out the windows to make sure there were no infected coming. As she opened the cupboards to look for food, she keyed the radio mic: "Kat, do you think you'd be able to wipe down the RV a little bit? I the blood and stuff might be too much for Lauren..." Emily stoped as she became choked up and started to quietly cry. 'Keep it together, Emily. You've got to be strong for Lauren' she thought to herself.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"I´ll prep the mobile before you board, yes! I´ll get back when I´m ready to take passengers. Over!" Stopping the RV at the porch, Kat starts to search the mobile home for a cleaning spray and a piece of cloth or a mop. She sprays the splattered area at the rear exits. Then she cleans the goo off. The bits and pieces of the windshield gets thrown out and she makes sure there´s no leakage under the car... "It´s set and ready to board, Mrs!" It all feels like being back at the tower, Kat thinks and places the helmet on the dash board, she flexes the comm, setting it on receive only, awaiting a reply. She picks up the digital and resumes the report, "Kat McCoy, survivor...lost three good men today...our numbers are reinforced to four now. Got ambushed at a farm...in the middle of nowhere... two of Jack´s family members and a survivor from the farm make four of us to get to WAFB...our vehicle is damaged...the sun is going to set...soon. A fair amount of ammunition and weapons if I grasp the situation correctly. We might still make it out of this nightmare...Is this really happening?...going to patch up and regroup in the RV. back later...McCoy, signing off."

(Is there a possibility to get the arm wound in better condition with the first aid kit? Kat managed to stop the bleeding earlier...But maybe if someone else more skilled at medicine can improve her mobility?)
Last edited by Dave Syrinx on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Kathryn has full use of her arm, it's just painful. A successful Medicine roll will get her back an additional 1d3 HP immediately, and will also help her heal faster. However, that takes time to apply, so it might be best done when on the road. Only Emily has the skill higher than the base 5%, so if you tried it yourself you'd be as likely to make it worse as to make it better. Alvarez has a medic's kit that is even better than the first aid kit in the RV. Also, there are four survivors at the farm, not five.

Kyle knows that the .22 rifle and the shotgun are the only guns his family has. There are emergency food and water supplies in the storm cellar, enough to last the four of them for three weeks. That's one reason he and his father locked Betty down there when she was dying from the zombie bite, in the hopes that she could still live off of it until a cure could be found. There's more food in the kitchen and in the pantry - that's the closed door on the right side of the kitchen. Most of the perishable stuff can be put in the fridge and freezer on the RV, but there's not as much room in them and some things will need to be eaten soon or abandoned.

Emily and Kathryn, you can keep talking, but wait until Lauren and Kyle have had a chance to act and I've updated before doing anything else that might be time-consuming.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by Iam477 »

Lauren took the rifle from her mother and eyed it warily. "I cant handle a gun mom... I don't know what I'm doing at all." She started thinking about her father and what he would think of her holding a gun. "We should go to the cities mom. There will be people there to protect us. We could even walk it can't be that far." She had a feeling deep down that these were all bad ideas but the situation was clouding her judgement.
A coward is one who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.
-Ambrose Bierce
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by yellowsigh »

Kyle smiles, if grimly (after the deaths of his parents), nodding then relaying the information. "There's grub in the kitchen and in the pantry, I s'pose. And the food and water down in the cellar for emergencies. We don't have any other guns, least not that I know of. I only ever saw the rifle and the shotgun. Ah..." Kyle pauses "What sort of things am I looking for in the barn?"

Kyle's just lost both his parents, so he's a bit lost. If anything he feels like he needs a little guidance to what he should be doing. He really can't see where his future lies now - he can only see as far as making his new friends happy.
. . .y o u ' r e i n s y l u m t o r e m e m b e r . . .
• Mood Music •
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Unclipping the magazine from the broken hand gun, Kat pockets the ammo and switches the comm to send and receive. "I´m all set! Can you send Kyle down to have a look at the RV? I believe I might have damaged something below deck... So, gather some warm clothes and food and we´ll be off to the base. We can discuss different tactics on the road. Does this farm has a long range comm-radio?" Kat checks the surrounding yard to make sure they are not ambushed.

(Is there a possibility to tweak or tune the settings on the helmet comm or on-board radio to contact the base? Relying on Kat´s skill as a radio operator at the tower?)
TVblog

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Yeah, Kyle will go out and take a look at the RV. How are the head lights on it? Are they functional? If we are traveling at night, we need to make sure the head lights work."

Turning to Kyle: 'Kyle, do you know how to repair a vehicle at all? The RV is a little damaged and could use a little mending if you are able to do so."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the RV-
With a good deal of effort, Kathryn dumped the bodies of Alvarez and Jack on the lawn by the driveway, close to the road and near the other three corpses, and then drove back to the front porch. The vehicle responded sluggishly, and it would not go faster than about 30 or 35 miles per hour. The truck stop was almost 170 miles to the west and the base was 40 miles beyond that, so there was now no chance of reaching either before nightfall, though they could get a good deal closer. The damage was not the kind of thing that could be repaired quickly. It would take several hours at least to get it back up to full speed, and probably a couple of days to restore it to prime condition. It might be best to repair it overnight once they found a safe place to stay. She easily found cleaning supplies in the kitchen area, mopped up the blood and gore near the side door, and then cleared away the broken windshield. There was no sign of any movement out front or on the road. The area looked deserted. She tested the headlights and saw that they still worked.

(Kathryn's extensive knowledge of electronics lets her know that the helmet radios have much too short range to reach the base from here. Their maximum range is five to ten miles, if you're lucky. The RV does have a CB radio, but she has no idea what frequencies might be used by the Air Force. The airfield where she worked saw primarily civilian traffic and was only taken over by the National Guard and Air National Guard this morning in order to secure it as a place to refuel and maintain aircraft.)

In the farmhouse-
Lauren went upstairs and gathered empty pillowcases and sheets, along with some basic medical supplies from the bathroom. They were no better than what they already had in the RV, and certainly not up to the standards of the medic's kit carried by Alvarez, but at least they now had more of them. She brought them down to the front porch. Emily went into the kitchen and began collecting food from the cupboards. Peering out back, she saw nothing unusual either. She returned to the front of the house with some of the food from the kitchen.

Kyle could get a close look at the RV now that it had parked right out front. The damage was severe, but it could still be driven. He had worked on his dad's truck before, so he could probably repair it given time - a lot of time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

" I don't thinkg going to the city is a good idea, Lauren. More people, means more of those infected. It would be much too dangerous there."
Looking at the RV, Emily did not like the idea of having to drive to too far. "Kyle, you said your dad had a truck, what kind of condition is it in?"

"Everyone, gather around," Emily said to everyone and to Kat. "I don't like the idea of traveling in that RV anymore. The wind screen is broken out and will provide no protection from infected should we have to stop for the night. The roof of it is the only area we will be safe at night or if we get stuck. Any touble or need to go off road could easily cause it to be non functinal. We can try and repair it for a few hours tonight then get some sleep here in the attic before leaving in the morning. Another idea is to take all of us in the truck, and another idea is to take both vehicles so we have a back up in the event something happens. What do you all think?"
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"A five hours drive to the bus stop, at least. This beat lady won´t go faster than 30...We have lights though. Maybe the other farm gives better protection. There was a loft there and some horses." She speaks to Kyle as he checks the fuel lines. "Have you got any diesel we can fill up?" To the women shell say, trying to neglect the fact that they had lost the man in their lives as well as the farm boy had 'lost' his parents. "The farm we left earlier...might be safer. If we get there before sunset and it´s still deserted."

Failing to completely disguise her compassion she starts to say, "I´m sorry..." but it breaks up as she gets reminded that she was a great part in things going as badly as they had. Had she just managed to shoot properly...A few hours more practice. Had she had handed Jack the gun instead on insisting on shooting it herself. Had she...
Erica, Dawkins, Bob, the police officers in the tower, Alvarez, Flynn, Jack and, and Gardner.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Erica survived and escaped in the helicopter.

Kyle, Emily, and Lauren know that there's a fuel pump outside the barn behind the house where the RV can be refueled. The lock has already been pried off, so anyone can pump the gas and fill the tank. Kyle knows that the barn here has a loft too.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

(Kat isn´t entirely sure that´s the csae though, just tried to drop the names she´s come across today. It does look like a death list, though.)

Kat will fill the RV up as the others stock the RV up for supplies.
TVblog

yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by yellowsigh »

Kyle looked dumbly from one person to another as the questions came, then tried to sort out his answers. "I... I dunno. I can look at the... the 'RV' thing. I can have a look and poke around at it. I know a bit about trucks and things. My daddy showed me." Kyle beamed briefly, then remembered his daddy was dead, and that he'd had to shoot him in the head, and the smile disappeared quickly. Then, in more of a whisper, he added "Yeah... his truck's around somewhere. It's... ah... I think it's in the barn..."

The question about fuel suddenly registered. "Oh! There's a diesel pump by the barn! Come on, I'll show you!" Kyle starts wandering that way, with a sudden sense of purpose.
Last edited by yellowsigh on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Mood Music •
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(The pickup truck in the barn is in good working order. I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression from my post. I meant that it will take a very long time to get the RV repaired.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by yellowsigh »

(OOC - Oops. Will amend my post).
• Mood Music •
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by Iam477 »

Lauren decided to follow her moms advice about not trying to walk to a city. "Just tell me what to do mom ill get it done. And also... I don't think taking the RV is a good idea. I don't know if i can hang around in a place where dad was killed and I want to get out of here. We need to find someplace safe...."
Last edited by Iam477 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A coward is one who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.
-Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”