IC-OVER-Reunion(Flynn/Kathryn/Jack/Emily/Lauren/Kyle)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: IC-OVER-Reunion(Flynn/Kathryn/Jack/Emily/Lauren/Kyle)

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"A pickup? Then we can take your truck and fill it up and make good speed to the bus stop or even to the base. Going the distance with a truck in doubtful condition without a windshield doesn´t feel right. I guess we could fit in to a pickup! The supplies we can secure in the back."
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

" I know sweety, I don't want to take the RV either. You and I will take the truck, okay?" Emily sypatheticly said to Lauren as she caressed the side of her face. "I'll get us out of here, okay? Now, lets get some food together, okay? I will go into the cellar and bring food upstairs, could you grab the keys to the truck, pull it around front, and start loading up the truck and the RV?"

Email heads to the cellar door, listens at it, then opens it with her shot gun leveled. He looks for a light switch and heads down stairs.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Preparing to get the convoy together, Kat starts to look for stuff that would suit as close combat equipment. Should the bullets run out they needed something to fight with. So to pass the time for getting the vehicles loaded as well as pitching in with loading the supplies, she runs off to retrieve the crowbar by Jack´s body. If she can find one she´ll grab a toolbox or pitchfork as well from an outhouse or barn. She puts the helmet on to be in talking range of the others while getting the gear.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(The communications center is at a truck stop, not a bus stop. The pickup truck is fully fueled, but the keys aren't in it. Lloyd most likely had them on his person. The pickup has some room for cargo in the back, but nowhere near as much as the RV. If you're abandoning the RV and taking only the truck, one of you will have to ride in the bed of the truck since the cab only has room for three people. This means even less cargo space, so you won't be able to bring as much stuff with you in that case. The pickup will make much better time by itself and can reach the truck stop before it gets dark if you leave very soon. It has enough fuel to reach the base and then some, and it can also go off-road. There is no outhouse; the farmhouse has indoor plumbing.)

At the farm-
Kathryn drove the RV over to the barn following Kyle's directions and hooked up the fuel pump. There was a toolbox in the RV, and there were bound to be more tools in the barn. While the gas tank was filling up, she went back to the side of the road where the five bodies lay. She picked up the crowbar that Jack had been carrying, but he had nothing else that looked useful. The other bodies were likely sources of close combat weapons and other useful things. Kyle opened up the barn door and looked inside. The pickup truck remained parked in the center, but it was locked. There were three horses in the stalls. They couldn't keep pace with the vehicles, but he could set them free before leaving.

Emily cautiously descended into the storm cellar, but other than the doors that had been smashed open from within, there was no sign of disarray. A bare light bulb hung from the ceiling near the entrance, and she pulled the cord to light the cellar. It was deserted, with huge containers of water and boxes of emergency rations stacked on shelves. With Lauren's help, she brought up half of the food and water. This was all that would fit in the back of the pickup truck if that was the only vehicle they were taking and somebody were to ride in the back with it. If they were to also take the RV they could fit all of the food and water inside it, but it would move much more slowly and be restricted to the road.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by yellowsigh »

"Darn, the doors locked!" Kyle quickly covers his mouth for saying a bad word. He then suggests "My dad shoulda had the keys, I guess." He's really hesitant to go near his dad's corpse though.

Kyle looks up at the horses, wonders about feedin them, as that had often been one of his chores. But it doesn't immediately cross his mind to release them.
Last edited by yellowsigh on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . .y o u ' r e i n s y l u m t o r e m e m b e r . . .
• Mood Music •
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat searches the other bodies then heads back to the barn. Speaking in to the comm of the helmet, Kat asks, "Shall we prepare both vehicles and make slow pace or cram in to just the truck? If we take both we´ll be more comfortable and can get everything we need with us. We´ll have to spend a few hours night-driving... The truck will get us to the truck stop before sunset, we´ll have to leave some stuff though." She looks at Kyle while she speaks and raises an eyebrow questioningly. She scans the barn for melee weapons.
TVblog

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Lets take the truck. It's in better shape, and is more mobile." Emilys says into the radio. "If we get there before nightfall, we can just stay at the motel where the comm center is. I am sure the soldier protecting it have set up all sorts of defenses and such. Pack all the food, water, tool and ammo that we can. Pack it around the outide perimeter of the bed of the truck so the person riding in back can have a space in the middle of the supplies. It will protect them from the wind and.... other things out there."
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Then it´s settled!" Kat replies. "Kyle, I´ll get the keys!" Kat runs off the retrieve the keys on the lad´s dead dad.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the farm-
Kathryn found some keys on Lloyd's body. Some of them would be for the house, but they would no longer be needed. One would have to fit the pickup truck. She also found two boxes of shotgun shells. One had not been opened yet and contained 25 12 gauge 00 buckshot shells. The other had been opened and had another 20 of the same. There was nothing of interest on Betty, but Kathryn was able to retrieve the three small knives that Lauren and Emily had thrown at her. On Alvarez she found several magazines for his M-4, a combat knife that had been damaged but was still perfectly usable, a golf club that he had borrowed from Jack that went in the bag of clubs Lauren had slung on her back, and another hand grenade. Flynn had almost twenty 9mm magazines for her pistols and another combat knife, this one in pristine condition. Both men had a bunch of MREs in their packs, and they both still wore their body armor. Flynn's vest would be too big for all of them except Kyle, on whom it would actually be a little tight. The one Alvarez wore would fit any of the three women, though it would be rather loose on Lauren. Once she had salvaged everything she could, she went back to the barn to rejoin the others.

While Kathryn was busy looting the dead, Emily, Lauren, and Kyle carried the food and water from the storm cellar into the barn and packed it into the back of the pickup truck, strapping it down to keep it in place. All told, they had enough to last all four of them for ten days. There were four 5-gallon containers of water and boxes of rations surrounding an open space in the center where one of them could ride. Inside the barn, Kyle found two more unopened boxes of shotgun shells and a box of 25 magazines for the .22 rifle that Lauren was borrowing. He also found an large axe for chopping wood and a smaller hatchet, a sickle, a pitchfork, and a second toolbox. When Kathryn returned with the keys, he eventually figured out which one fit the pickup truck by trial and error. He unlocked the doors and started up the engine.

(If you're ready to leave, let me know where everyone's sitting: who's riding in the back, who's driving, who's riding shotgun, and who's sitting in the middle of the cab? You may distribute the weapons and ammo you've found freely amongst yourselves while you're driving without taking any extra time. If you want to take the two vests, it will take a couple of additional minutes to remove them from the bodies. It will also take time to put them on, but you can do that while you're on the move unless you're the one driving the truck. Remember that each minute you spend here before leaving is one less minute you have before it gets dark.

The Kevlar vests provide 8 points of armor to the torso and abdomen against bullets, shotgun shells, and explosives. They provide 4 points against melee attacks, and no protection at all against falling or being crushed. However, they restrict your movements and have -10 penalties to many useful skills while you're wearing one: Climb, Dodge, Jump, Swim, Throw, and all melee attacks and parries - this includes unarmed attacks. The wood axe, hatchet, and sickle all use the same skill, which has a 20% base level. The wood axe does 1d8+2+db damage, and the hatchet and sickle each do 1d6+1+db damage. None of them can impale. The pitchfork causes 1d8+1+db damage and can impale, but the base skill is only 15%. Let me know who takes what.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Looking down at her halter neck blouse, Kathryn decides to strip Alvarez of the body armor. Also getting the other flak jacket she loads the looted guns and ammo using the armor as a make shift bag. Then after spending the extra minutes of manhandling the corpses she returns to the truck with the keys, throwing them to Kyle. To her new family Kat says, "I don´t drive very well so maybe you guys can decide who´s driving? I volunteer to ride in the back with the luggage. I got a handful of shells and some protection. I´d like to keep one of the flak jackets for the ride. And the 9 mm."
Kat puts the loot on the back of the truck; the grenades, shotgun shells, body armor, M4 mags, two knifes and some throwing knives, etc.

(She basically takes all but the golf club.)

"The luggage should be arranged as a horse shoe around the cabin."
She starts to arrange the stuff brought out. Arranging pitch forks and sharp poles as a hedgehog protection. "Do we have some strong flash lights? Would be nice to flash our attackers blind if we get stuck in the night... We could also drop a flash light and kill the headlights to get attention away from our vehicle."
TVblog

Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by Iam477 »

"I dont care where i sit i just want to get the hell out of here.." Lauren stretches her arms then picks up the gun and starts fooling around with it.
A coward is one who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.
-Ambrose Bierce
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Flash lights are a must," Emily says. "As for the truck, I think Kyle should ride in back as he is the best shot out of all of us. I can drive and Kat you can ride shot gun. Literally." Emily hands the shot gun towards her. "I would not like to be empty handed while I drive, though, so your pistol would come in use. Lauren can ride between us and reload us if needed."
"Let's get some flashlights and get the heck out of here. The comm center is which direction?"
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Then we decide that and get out of here!" Kat helps with the last load of supplies and gets ready to hit the dirt roads.
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the farm-
There was already a flashlight in the pickup truck, another in the barn, a third in the storm cellar, and a fourth in the RV. Kyle collected them since he wasn't busy doing anything else and stored them in the truck before climbing in the back. Emily got behind the wheel, Lauren sat beside her in the center of the cab, and Kathryn sat in the shotgun seat. Emily drove around to the front of the farmhouse and up the driveway, where it met the road going east and west.

(Only the driveway leading back to the road is dirt. The road itself is paved.

Please confirm if Kathryn takes the shotgun and gives Emily her pistol and magazines. I'll assume Kathryn holds onto the shells she found if this is the case. Kyle, you haven't acted in a while, so I've just assumed you did what was needed. If you want to exchange equipment with anyone or pick up anything stored in the back of the truck, let me know. You may also put on the body armor back there if you want. Kathryn will put hers on in the coming round.

Everyone roll Navigate to plan your route to the truck stop. You know that it is almost 170 miles west and 12-15 miles north of the farm, but getting there by the back roads will not be easy. The base skill is 10% if you do not have it on your character sheet. If nobody succeeds, the trip will take longer than expected as you will likely get lost along the way.

If anyone wants to do anything else before leaving the farm, let me know. Remember that actions take time, and you've already spent a good deal of time here.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by Iam477 »

A coward is one who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.
-Ambrose Bierce
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat has a general idea of where they are heading, but no idea where the two farms visited are located compared to the presumed truck stop and AFB.
She handed the working 9mm to Emily when entering the truck and prepares the shotgun as soon as she has put on the body armour.

(A shotgun has a base skill at 30%, right? Is the second 9mm utterly broken or can Kat spend time mending it?)
TVblog

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily puts the 9mm on the dash board in front of her and pulled up to the road. With tears welling in her eyes, she recalled the maps and planning she and Jack had done for their trip and believed she had a route to the truck stop. (OOC: Invisible Castle is not working. I rolled manually and got a 13, but I can wait until it is working if you'd rather I do that.)
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by yellowsigh »

(OOC: Sorry I've not been online around much, gearing up for a house move this weekend (1st and 2nd). It's probably best if Kyle reverts to an NPC until I'm settled now. As a parting roll, Kyle is as lost as ever. Hope to rejoin you soon!)
. . .y o u ' r e i n s y l u m t o r e m e m b e r . . .
• Mood Music •
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Emily turned left onto the road, heading west and starting the long journey to the truck stop and, beyond it, Warren Air Force Base. Kathryn put on the Kevlar vest. It was heavy and a little tight, but at least she felt less exposed. Lauren sat between them, examining the .22 rifle, and Kyle sat silently in the bed of the truck, holding his M-4 and looking around alertly.

(No problem, yellowsigh, and congratulations on the new house. The chapter is just about over and there's not much left to do, so I'll assume Kyle is merely quiet for now. Everyone may talk freely. Kyle may put on the second Kevlar vest if he wishes and take whatever he wants from the back of the truck. Anyone may exchange equipment and reload weapons, as you've got plenty of time. Just let me know what you want to do.

I'll take that manual roll of 13. It still fails, so there will be some delay on your trip, but not that much.

Yes, the base skill for Shotgun is 30%. The broken pistol can be repaired, and you have plenty of time to try to do so. Make a Mechanical Repair roll. The base skill is 20%. Everyone except Emily, who is busy driving, may attempt this roll once, so if Kathryn fails she can hand the gun and the tools to someone else. However, if one of these Mechanical Repair rolls is a critical failure - 96 or higher - the gun will be broken permanently.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

After reloeading the 9mm, Kat examines the malfuncioning gun. Being thorough she dismantles the whole piece and is extra careful to blow the components clean of particles. Then as the truck bumps over uneven patches in the road she puts it together, loads the magazine and checks it for funcionality. Smiling she pockets the gun and looks at the .22 Lauren is handling.
TVblog

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”