IC-OVER-Deliverance(Cpl Gardner/Kathryn McCoy/Jack Montrose)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC-OVER-Deliverance(Cpl Gardner/Kathryn McCoy/Jack Montrose)

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat reels backwards as Jack tries to guide her inside... "No! You just want me in to the shower - again!" She looks at the blond rescuer with suspicion in her eyes. Then she looks at the smashed police cruiser. "I won´t get into that..house ever again! There´s a med-bag in the car. Let me go, creep!" She tries to remove Jack´s hold on her.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by John Gaunt »

Shocked, Jack unhands the traumatized young woman and puts up his open right hand in a placating gesture: "Huh?! Wha-? No. No! You've got the wrong idea! I'm here to help, I'd never hurt you. Why, you can't be much older than my daughter. Calm down. Do whatever makes you feel safe, whatever makes you feel secure. OK?"
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Calming down some as the hand releases the grip, Kat tries a smile. It feels awkward. "A daughter? What´s her name?" Kat keeps her back at the house wall checking the garage door for more newcomers.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

"My daughter? Her name's Lauren, she'll be nineteen soon. My wife's name is Emily. Alvarez and Flynn, do you know those guys? They told us about you and led us here."

Relieved that the young woman is calming down, Jack continues talking in an easygoing patter as he backpedals closer to Gardner's corpse, mentally preparing himself for the grotesque task that lies before him.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Alvarez and Flynn?..Did they send you to retrieve me? They are working with Gardner...it´s all a trick! They´ll have me now, when their CO is gone. Don´t let them take me!" Suddenly McCoy gets the crazed glare in her eyes again. Suspicion and fear as she looks at Jack moving closer to the dying NG.
TVblog

John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

"Um, Alvarez got his leg shot off by Gardner trying to rescue you. He and Flynn are speeding away towards Warren AFB as we speak. I understand you've had an emotionally trying day but there's no one here who will cause you harm. I have some unpleasant business to which I need to attend to make sure that Gardner doesn't get back up. So please, do us both a favor, step outside of the garage and pull the overhead door shut. Will that make you feel any safer?"

"Jesus!" Jack thinks to himself. "What is it today with hysterical women? I can't get away from them!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the garage-
When Jack reached the garage, he could see that Gardner was already dead. His corpse lay still on the hood of the car.

(Each of you may now act again.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

"Kathryn, you'll want to either close your eyes or look away," Jack calmly states.

With those final words, he draws his sidearm, presses the muzzle between Gardner's lifeless eyes and looks away as he pulls the trigger.

(OOC:Do you need a dice roll?)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Yes. You get two shots this round, and the range is point blank, so double your skill. Since you're aiming at the head, there is a -5 penalty after you double your skill. His helmet will also still protect him. For each bullet that hits roll 1d10-5 for damage - anything below 0 is treated as zero. Invisible Castle is still down, so you can either roll dice yourself or have me do it.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

Two attempted head shots @ 75%: 02 & 36
Dmg: 14 (does that bypass the armor?) & 1-5=0
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(The first shot is a critical hit. It bypasses the armor, but it only does 1d10 damage instead of 2d10. What number came up on the first d10 you rolled? If you can't remember, just roll a fresh d10.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

(I rolled a 7)

Incredulous that his second shot only dented the corpse's helmet, the frustrated attorney pockets the 9mm and readies his trusty 7 iron.
Last edited by John Gaunt on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(It just worked out that way in this case. Sometimes it can cause more damage, depending on how good the armor is and what you rolled. If your second d10 had been a 1, you'd have only caused 3 damage on an impale instead of the 7 you caused with a critical. A hit cannot be both a critical hit and an impale; the critical hit overrides the impale. If your target is unarmored, you roll double damage dice as you would for an impale, but if you fired a burst then all bullets get double damage dice. Normally, an impale when firing a burst only causes extra damage for the first bullet. If your target is armored, you ignore the armor instead of doing extra damage. This is even more powerful when firing a burst. If your target has some special innate partial immunity to your attack, you simply do normal damage and the immunity is ignored. Criticals also apply even with weapons that don't impale.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

(Gotcha. I've edited my post accordingly.)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

While Jack deals with Gardner´s remains, Kat moves to the garage door and checks if all is clear outside. Being prepared to retreat if someone tries to ambush her. The sound of the gun makes her think of the shooting range and how much better it should feel if she had a piece herself. Her index finger twitches by reflex. "That bastard was like a crazy, he kept on killing people all over the place. And you´re telling me he just fell short finishing his own men off too?....Did I say thank you, by the way? You have toi forgive me I´m not usually this erratic. The time with that animal made me... changed... I almost kicked his head off - had I kept my balance...I´ll check if all is clear outside!"
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the garage-
Jack's first bullet penetrated deep into Gardner's skull, but the recoil caused the gun to jerk, and his second shot was deflected by the helmet. Kathryn stepped outside and looked around in all directions. The road stretched on to the east and west and was deserted as far as she could see. The cornfield Jack had emerged from was across the road. The dirt driveway that led to the road also branched off and went around the side of the garage, leading toward the barn she had seen earlier.

As Jack flicked his pistol's safety on and returned it to his waistband, Gardner's eyes suddenly snapped open and he sat up. Kathryn blanched with terror when she saw it. It was impossible, he was dead! Gardner gazed at her with soulless red eyes, only this time he looked at her not with lust, but with hunger. Luckily for her, Jack was standing right in front of him. He had just enough time to grip his golf club with both hands before Gardner seized him about the waist with his one arm, crushing him with incredible force. His jaw dropped open and he lunged for Jack's left thigh with uncanny speed.
Spoiler:
Gardner succeeded at a Grapple attack on Jack: 19% roll vs. 25% chance
Gardner critically succeeded at a Bite attack on Jack: 01% roll vs. 30% chance
The Bite will do 14 damage to his left leg if it is not avoided or blocked
(Kathryn and Jack, roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d10. Jack, if you do not go temporarily insane, you get one chance to parry the bite with your golf club. Make a roll against your weapon skill, which is 55% in this case. If you succeed, your club will take the damage instead of you. If you fail, you may also attempt a Dodge roll. If that fails too, you're going down. :( You may also attempt a Dodge against the Grapple attack to wriggle free. Note that if you attempt one or more Dodge rolls, you will not get to attack this round, though you can still run away if you manage to avoid the Grapple, or try to break free if you don't. The Grapple will do no damage to you this round, but it will cause 1d10 damage next round and each round thereafter until one of you dies or you somehow break free. This requires a STR vs STR Resistance Table roll. Gardner has a STR of 20 in zombie form, so you'd have a 10% chance.

If you successfully parry the Bite attack and you choose not to try to Dodge the Grapple, you may attack Gardner and try to finish him off. If you target his head, you have a -5 penalty to hit. Your golf club does 1d8+1d4 damage, which includes your damage bonus. Further, the Kevlar helmet only provides half of its protection against melee attacks, rounded down. This means it will only reduce your damage by 2. His head has taken 7 damage, so it will take 3 damage that gets through the helmet to finish him.

Kathryn, if you go temporarily insane, this will be a separate insanity from the one you've already got. If you do not, you are also free to attack if you wish. You do not have a weapon, so you'd have to use an unarmed attack. The same -5 to hit and -2 to damage would apply. You also have the option of running away, just specify a direction.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Kat watches the risen Gardner! Jack the golfer is obviously in trouble, but the sight doesn´t bother Kat.
Spoiler:
Roll(1d100)+0: 5,+0 Total:5
She is struggling whether to kill the reborn Gardner or run for it. Considering Jack saving her, although his motives are unknown, she decides Gardner needs to be put down...For good!
Reaching the NG she swings at him...

Getting a running start she launches a swing at the grappling NG.
Spoiler:
Roll(1d3)+0:
1,+0
Total:1

Roll(1d100)+0:
26,+0
Total:26
TVblog

John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

Horrified but not unnerved, Jack throws up his trusty seven iron in a desperate parry just in the nick of time as the undead corporal's jaws clamp upon the titanium shaft!
Spoiler:
San roll =24%
Spoiler:
Lg. Club = 47%

"Fore!" Jack shouts in a guttural voice, smiting the ravenous ghoul solidly in the face with his golf club. With a sickening yet satisfying smush the titanium head smashes through the demonic guardsman's orbital bone putting him, it, down for good.
Spoiler:
Lg. Club = 42%
Spoiler:
Dmg= (d8)3+(d4)4-2=5
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the garage-
Kathryn punched Gardner in the head with her good arm, but the blow just bounced off of his helmet. Jack jammed the metal shaft of his seven iron between his jaws just before they would have clamped down hard on his thigh. They nearly broke the club in half, but the titanium was strong enough to hold it together, though it did bend alarmingly. He then raised it overhead and brought it down desperately on Gardner's skull, crushing it in. Gardner released him and fell back onto the hood of the police car and lay still, this time for good. Jack had killed him - twice. It was finally over.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

The departing adrenaline surge leaves Jack trembling and breathless. Dropping the ruined club, he steadies himself with one hand on the hood of the decimated cruiser and speaks into his head mike: "Alvarez, Jack here. Do you read me?"

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”