IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Flynn/Kyle)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Alvarez/Flynn)

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Actually, you didn't miss by that much. The zombies will still take 3d6 damage, and Flynn is far enough away that he will not be hit and may still act freely this round. Make five rolls of 1d20 for the primary hit location along with five rolls of 3d6 for damage, one for each zombie. Shrapnel will hit them all over, but one location will take the brunt of the damage. If you prefer, I'll roll for you.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvarez saw he had not been that far off. The grenade exploded and shapnel sprayed everywhere. The first zombie was hit in the Right Leg, the second in Left Arm, and the other three in the chest. Alvarez smiled as he saw the damage caused. It looked pretty nasty.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by John Gaunt »

Flinching at the sound of the second explosion Jack pauses in his task and grabs his daughter by the shoulders and implores: "Sweetheart, do your ol' man a favor, will ya? Pick up the supplies your mother gathered and get inside. Don't come out until one of us says the coast is clear. Ok? It's getting way too hairy out here."

He looks in the direction of the shamblers and the explosion, assessing the situation before he goes back to work on the engine.
Last edited by John Gaunt on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: I can't believe this! It jammed! :shock:

Flynn tried to shoot, but his weapon didn't make asound.
-Dammit!
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by ryansommer »

"Jeasus!" Emily cried, ducking and turning away at the sounds of the exploding grenades. "Crap, I don't see a thing out there." Emily called back down to Jack. "Emily, come back up here on the room and help me keep an eye out. You can be the eyes in the back of my head."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Wow, two 100's in a row! I'd ask "what are the odds?" but I already know they're 1 in 10,000. Just be glad one of those wasn't for a grenade throw... :twisted: )

On the road-
Lauren grabbed the putter from the bag of golf clubs. "Coming, mom!" she called. She ran to the back of the RV, handed the club up to Emily, and quickly scaled the ladder. Then she took the club back and started to help her mother keep an eye out while Jack kept working on the engine.

All five zombies had been damaged somewhat by the blast. The one hit in the leg fell, but it was still able to drag itself over the asphalt. The other four weren't knocked down or even slowed down. They continued to advance as Flynn uselessly pointed his jammed pistol at them.

(Jack has now completed 6/20 rounds of repair. Emily has been temporarily blinded by the grenade blast, so she cannot see anything for now. Her vision will return over time, but expect penalties to Spot Hidden rolls for a while.

Four of the zombies are now 7 yards from Flynn and 10 from Alvarez. If Flynn does not retreat this round, they will reach him and get to attack. He may start trying to clear the jam while retreating. Roll Mechanical Repair, as that is higher than your Handgun skill. If you succeed, roll 1d6 to see how many rounds it will take. Alvarez may attack without risk this round with the rifle, or he may retreat too. He may not throw a grenade, as he threw one last round - plus the zombies are way too close. The zombie with the wounded leg is three yards behind the others.

Alvarez and Flynn, roll Idea.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by ryansommer »

"Well, honey' Emily said to Lauren while rubbing her eyes. "You'll have to be the eyes up here. I'm seeing spots after looking directly into that grenade blast."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn retreated immediatly and saw with relief that if he tried to repair the gun he could make her function after some time.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Can Alvarez fire a burst again? How much would I have to hit below then? 50%?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Yes, Alvarez may fire a 3-bullet burst this round. There's a +20% bonus for that, so your chance is 70%. If you hit, roll 1d3 to see how many bullets hit, and then roll a 1d20 hit location and 2d8 damage for each bullet that does. You get an impale on a 14 or less, but only the first bullet will do 4d8 damage and any others will still do 2d8. Remember that you can't aim at the head if you do this. These zombies all started with 40 HP. None of these zombies has taken more than 11 damage, so you'll need at least 29 damage in general to put one down unless you're lucky enough to hit the head and cause 10 damage.

Also, don't forget that you and Flynn should roll Idea.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn was only interested in repairing his gun.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez made sure his M-4 was on three burst status and fired into the crowd of oncoming dead. He did an excellent job but only the bullet had hit however. It hit one of the zombies in abdoman but the zombie continued advancing.
Alvarez stopped to think of what they could do to end this battle. However he was too worried to think straight.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
"I hope those spots clear up soon, Mom," said Lauren. She took the binoculars and looked around. "I see something!" She focused in on some movement far to the north. "Oh, no, there's more of them coming this way! I count ten of them. They're moving slowly, but they'll be here around the time Dad thinks the engine will be fixed - or maybe a little before. They'll reach the soldiers before that happens, though. Maybe they can do something about them." She cups her hands to her mouth and calls out. "Hey, guys, you've got ten more coming your way from the north! They're a ways off and moving slowly, but keep them in mind!"

Alvarez wounded the zombie badly in the belly, but it still did not even slow down. It and its three comrades advanced closer, and they were now almost on top of him. The other one crawled after them. Flynn retreated well out of their reach.

(The repairs are now 7/20 of the way done. The zombies are less than three yards from Alvarez, who must retreat or they will get to attack him. If he did attack, he would be at point blank range. The one he just wounded is the one that had taken 11 damage to the chest previously, so it has now taken a total of 23. Another 17 damage total will drop it. Flynn may stay where he is this round without risk, as the zombies are ten yards from him, but there is little point since he cannot shoot while his gun is jammed. He may keep clearing the jam while he retreats. It will take two more rounds, including this one.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Is there any way that we may outrun the zombies to the RV?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(You may try to run past the zombies, but they will each get a chance to attack as you go by except for the crawling one. You would get to roll Dodge against any attacks that hit you if you tried this. Even if you succeed, these zombies would still reach the RV before it could be repaired.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn decided to retreat.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez retreated also.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Since it will take two rounds of retretaing until Alvarez is far enough to fire again and for Flynn to finish unjamming his pistol, I'll cover them both in this one post.)

On the road-
Lauren watched the ghouls approaching from the north through the binoculars and also kept an eye on the battle below. "I hope they can finish them off before the others reach them from the north," she said. "Those must have come from Holdrege too."

Alvarez and Flynn continued falling back. Now they were about 100 yards north of the RV, and the zombies were still in unrelenting pursuit. By the time Flynn cleared the jam, the four walking zombies were 9 yards from Alvarez and 28 from Flynn. The crawling zombie was a good seven or eight yards behind those.

(The repairs are 9/20 complete. Emily has another two rounds two to go before her vision starts to return. Alvarez and Flynn, you now have one combat round to act. Alvarez is close to the zombies and will be caught in the blast radius if either of you use a grenade, and it would take about four more rounds of retreating for him to get far enough away to reduce the risk - during which time Flynn could still get some shots off. At this point it pays for Flynn to fire, since if he retreats this round he would be at half skill afterwards. He gets two shots with his pistol. Alvarez may fire either a single shot or a burst with his M-4. The zombie with 17 HP left is actually the one with the crippled arm, since that's the one that took 11 damage from the grenade. The other walkers have 30, 30, and 32 HP respectively. The crawler has 30 HP left as well. As always, it only takes 10 damage to the head to put a zombie down for good, but don't forget the -5% penalty for aiming at the head and that bursts cannot be aimed at the head.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Take this you bastard!
Flynn shoot in the head of the first zombie and hurt him; he was lucky and hit also with the second shot, but wasn't able to finish him.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez sat his M-4 onto single shot and aimed at one of the zombies heads. (not the one that Flynn had just shot). He fired and the bullet went right where he had aimed it, which was a first for him! The zombie's head simply exploded into gore. "Take that bastards, that leaves only 3 walking dead and one crawling dead by my figures."

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”