IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Flynn/Kyle)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Re: IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Alvarez/Flynn)

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: The RV is still broken down, correct?)

Emily watches in horror as the raving maniacs surrounding the RV, start off after the two airforce men.
"Jack, how long do you think it will take to fix the RV? With those THINGS distracted, we should try and fix the RV and help those men out. Are their any more bullets down below?" Emaily said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Yes, the RV is still broken down.)

On the road-
"I shot my load," said Jack, already on his way down the ladder. "The only bullets left are what those two guys have on them. Both of you stay up there! It'll take too long to fix the RV, and by then the fight would be over. If the soldiers win, we can fix it then. If they lose, we'll never get the chance. I'm going to get my golf clubs so I can help them out." When he reached the ground, he ran for the RV's door.

The running ghoul got spun around when it was hit hard in its left leg and arm, and it fell to the asphalt. However, it quickly got back up and continued its charge at Alvarez and Flynn, its left arm hanging limply at its side and no longer usable. It would reach them in a couple of seconds. The other six staggered towards them much more slowly, and had only closed half the distance between the RV and the two men.

(Because of your critical hits, the runner did not get to make its attacks last round. It will get to do so this round unless it's stopped. It has taken a total of 24 damage so far, so it needs at least another 26 damage - or 10 to the head - in order to take it out. The walkers will not reach you this round, but they will be able to in two rounds. The runner is now at point blank range, which means you get to double your firearms skills if you choose to shoot again. Alvarez, if you fire a burst again you get to add your +20% bonus after doubling your Rifle skill. Flynn, you get two shots at double your Handgun skill.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Jack, be careful! Let the soldiers with gun take are of them! They can stay far enough away from the slow ones." Emily pleaded to her husband as she started down the ladder after him. "Lauren. Do not move off this roof, young lady. You hear me? I'll be right back."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Emily, roll Fast Talk if you want to try to convince Jack not to join the fight. The base skill level is 5%. There is no time for Persuade with a battle going on. You may also climb down the ladder this round if you wish, without having to roll anything.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily follows her husband down the ladder, trying in vain to get him to stay with them. "Please, Jack! Just stay with us and let them handle those raving maniacs!" Emily pleadedas she followed her husband to the glf bag. However, try as she might, she was not able to talk him into staying.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

-Die, moth** fu****!
Flynn shot and nearly miss: he hit the left leg again, destroying it.
His second shot, was in the chest, but didn't make much damage.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(That second hit was an impale, so go ahead and roll an extra 1d10 damage for it. You've done 12 damage so far, so it will take a total of 14 more to finish it. This will depend on how much damage Alvarez can cause. His effective Rifle skill is 120% if he fires a burst, which means he'll get an impale on 24 or less. Remember that an impale only doubles the damage dice for the first bullet that hits in a burst.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: I thought that to have a impale i needed 4%, my based value and it wasn't possible with the critical.

But the second shot was indeed a good shot!
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

(occ-I will post up tonight. Can I aim at the head this time and fire a burst or do I just have to fire and random hit again?)
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: I think you only need to make 4 points of damage to destroy the zombie whateaver the place, so a burst should kill him anyway as long as you hit him, and with a skill of 120%, it's certain, am i right Mr Handy? But of course, Alvarez don't know this...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(An impale happens when you get 1/5 of your effective skill or less. Flynn's base Handgun skill is 45, so normally he'd get an impale on 9 or less. Since the skill was doubled to 90, he would get one on 18 or less.

Alvarez, you cannot aim a burst at a specific body part, so you would need to roll a random hit location for each bullet that hits. In addition, the zombie is so close that it would get to attack first if you took the time to aim anyway. It has indeed taken 46 damage and only needs another 4 to finish it. Though your characters don't know exactly how close it is to being destroyed, they can tell that it's falling apart. With 120% effective skill, you can only miss on a Malfunction, which is 98 or higher for the M-4. If you hit with a burst, roll 1d3 to see how many bullets hit the zombie. Since each one does 2d8 damage, that's a guaranteed kill if 2 or more bullets hit, regardless of location or actual damage rolled.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez smiled and fired another burst at the zombie. He saw the bullets hit the creature. In fact he saw all of the bullets had hit since the creature had been so close. The first bullet his the creature in the left leg tearing it completly off. The second bullet hit the creature in the right arm but did not seem to do much damage. The third bullet hit the creature in the abdoman. Alvarez waited for the creature to fall from the blows that had occured.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
The zombie collapsed, twitching in a heap. The remaining six trudged slowly towards them, one of them with a head wound, and they were now less than eight yards away.

"Daddy, don't go near them!" called Lauren.

"Don't worry, honey, I'll be fine!" Jack shouted back. He ducked into the RV and quickly found his bag of golf clubs, slinging it over his shoulder. He also grabbed a steak knife from the kitchenette.

Emily reached the bottom of the ladder.

(Alvarez and Flynn, if you remain where you are and shoot, the zombies will reach you and get a chance to attack this round after you fire, and you will not have time to use precision aim. It's also normal range, so you would not get to double your skill. You may retreat without rolling anything.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Flynn those are heavy odds. Lets retreat 50 yards or so and then fire from there." He shouted to the group near the RV, "We are not leaving you here, we are just getting into better position to kill these creatures. We will come back to you soon."
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by John Gaunt »

Jack Montrose hands the steak knife to his beautiful wife and says: "Honey, gather up my tools and then give the inside of the RV the once over for anything useful. I can't remember if I packed any spare bullets."

Calling up to Lauren: "Sweetie, I've got a very important job for you. I need you to stay up there and keep a look out. If you see any of those things coming towards us, yell your head off!"

Looking back to his wife with steely resolve, he says: "Those guardsmen are our best shot out of here. I'm going to give them a hand. Oh, and here," he says, handing her the .38, "in case you find more bullets." He kisses her. "Don't worry, they'll never see me coming"

"Looks like a seven iron," he mutters to himself as he purposefully strides toward the downed twitcher...
Last edited by John Gaunt on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Good first post, John! The steak knife is a large knife, which causes 1d6 damage. The .38 revolver causes 1d10 damage per bullet, can fire twice per round, has a base range of 15 yards, a Malfunction number of 100, and holds 6 bullets. However, it is currently empty. Jack took all of his bullets for the .38 up to the roof and used them all on the zombies before the start of this thread, and there are no more left. While Jack was an NPC he had decided to try to help fight the zombies, but now that you are playing him he is free to reconsider if you wish. Fast Talk and other social skills cannot be used on him by others now that he's a PC. If Emily wants to convince him to do something else, she'll have to convince the player by posting in character.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

I'll bash the twitcher with one of my irons and, assuming it stops moving, I'll turn the carcass over with my foot to see if it possesses or is wearing anything useful, distinctive, or informative.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Welcome John Gaunt.

Flyn retreats with Alvarez and starts laughing.
-Aha! Who is the best now?-He says to the destroyed infected- Your dead, dead, dead! And you will all be following you leader!- he says to the other infected.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily reaches for her husband and grabs his shoulders to turn him towards her. "Jack, please! We need you here, with us. You're right, the soldiers are our best bet but so is this RV. While those things are distracted, we can fix the RV and pick up the soldiers if they need us. If you run out there those things will come after you and the soldiers will have to worry about not hiting you instead of just blowing away those monsters." Emily pleads as he looks deeply in Jacks' eyes. "Let's fix this while we have a chance. If those soldiers fail to stop them or, god forbid, get hurt we'll be right back where we started if we don't fix this tub of bolts."
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

"You're right, dear. You know me, never one to walk away from a fight. Discretion is the wiser part valor." He looks off in the distance to gauge how the fray between the shamblers and soldiers is going.

OOC: Has my character previously diagnosed our mechanical troubles? If not, I'll do so now. If the repairs can be done in the time frame Emily suggests, then I'll attempt a repair, otherwise I'm going to war...

"Emily, I still need you to take stock and gather up our gear in case we need to abandon this bucket of bolts. Look for flashlights and batteries, matches, a first aid kit, road flares, our cell phones and my Blackberry, rope and string, canned food and water, binoculars, our road map, and anything else I've forgotten that might come in handy later. My Swiss army knife is laying around in there somewhere. Throw them in our backpacks or use pillow cases if you have to. Do that for me and I'll try and fix the RV, OK?" he asks imploringly.

Before Emily can respond, Jack immediately follows up with a twinkle in his eye "How's that for a plea bargain?"

"How're we lookin' up there, pumpkin?" Jack calls up to Lauren.

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”