IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Flynn/Kyle)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Re: IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Alvarez/Flynn)

Post by ryansommer »

Emily lets out a relieved sigh. "Not too bad, but my diagnosis is stress induced hero complex," she says with a smile and a wink. Emily kisses her husband and runs off into the RV to search for anything and everythign that may be useful.
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by John Gaunt »

Jack grins as calmer heads prevail and watches his wife scamper into the RV.

"Now, what would be truly heroic," Jack says to himself as he walks to the front of the RV, "is to get this boat rolling again..."

Jack attempts a mechanical repair and succeeds!
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1622502
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Good call, everyone! No, Jack had not previously managed to diagnose the problem.)

On the road-
Flynn and Alvarez fell back. Flynn moved a lot quicker than Alvarez, and he managed to get 50 yards further back while Alvarez only managed around 30. The six walking ghouls progressed a bit more than twenty yards in that time.

"Thank you so much for staying, Daddy!" called Lauren from the roof of the RV. She peered out along the highway in both directions. "I can't see anything out there so far!"

Emily managed to find and gather all of the supplies in the RV that Jack had mentioned. While she was doing this, Jack looked again at the engine under the mobile home's hood. Now that he's taken a fresh look at it, he saw that it was a simple case of vapor lock. Since the RV was over twenty years old, it didn't come with fuel injection and thus was more prone to the problem. He could probably get the engine working again by rerouting the fuel lines away from the parts of the engine that generate heat.

(Flynn and Alvarez, you may fire for one combat round without risk to yourselves. You may use precision aim and target the head, just remember to apply the -5% penalty. The zombies are 15 yards from Alvarez and 35 from Flynn, though Flynn could easily stop five yards short of the full distance he could have run in order to get full skill with his pistol. Alvarez gets a single shot and Flynn gets two shots, provided both are at the same target. One of the six zombies has already taken 5 damage to the head, but the others are unharmed as yet.

Jack can repair the engine in twenty rounds, including the three that have just passed during the guardsmen's retreat. He could perhaps do the job faster if Emily and/or Lauren help him. Whoever helps would need to roll Mechanical Repair, and the base skill is 20%. Only if one of them succeeds would she make the repairs go faster. Jack does not need to roll again; his success will enable him to complete the repairs given enough time.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Can Flynn shoot the zombie that is already hurt in the head?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Yes, he can. It's obvious which one it is. Just roll two shots at it. Your chance to hit is 45-5=40% if you stop running 30 yards away from the zombies. For each bullet that hits, roll 1d10 for damage. If you get an impale, which in this case happens on an 8 or less, you would roll 2d10 for damage instead.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Emily gathered up all the supplies she could find, and grabbed a kitchen knife for her own defense and tucked it into her belt. She laid the colleted supplies at the bottom of the ladder and called up the Lauren, "Alright, honey. Just keep watching our backs while we get this hunk of junk running." With that, she ran over to the front of the RV and tried to help her husband out. "Well, unless this thing is suffering from depression, I'm afraid I cannot help you out. Shall I send Lauren down? I can try keep an eye out in her stead."
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

Jack, without taking his head from under the hood, says to Emily: "Sure, why don't you do that? And make sure you take the binoculars with you, too."
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Lauren, come on down here and see if you can help your dad. You kids are so much better with technical things than an old fart like me," Emily said as she grabed the binoculars and started up the ladder.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn runned until 30 yards and then shoot against the zomby he hit before in the head; he hit again in the head, killing it.
- I'm getting good at this! But i won't waste ammo in him, i will pick another one.

OOC: Since Flynn saw the zombi destroyed, i decide to not shoot again, after all, he cannot aim in this turn against another zombi.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvarez decided he was too close still and booked back toward Flynn.

(Occ-I am trying to get far enough away that I can chuck a grenade into the group without causing harm to the RV or family. Can you please let me know when I am far enough away?)
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Emily already used her action last round to try to help repair the engine, so she will have to wait until this round to climb the ladder. This will allow Lauren to climb down first, though. The knife she just took from the kitchen is a small knife and does 1d4 damage. She already has the large knife that Jack gave her, but it's good to have two. A knife can easily get stuck if you roll an impale, plus you can always throw one at a distant target if you have a spare, provided it's not too distant. The base skill for Throw is 25%.)

On the road-
Lauren scampered down the ladder while her mother tried to help her father with the engine. "You're not an old fart, mom," she said. "Why, you're still almost as pretty as I am. Almost." She gave Emily a playful smirk.

Jack continued to reroute the fuel lines. He had completed about one-fifth of the necessary work.

The zombie that Flynn shot fell, never to move again. This still left five more which continued to advance slowly. Alvarez retreated to give himself more breathing room.

(Currently, the zombies are over 50 yards from the RV. Alvarez is some 17 yards beyond them, and Flynn is 23 yards beyond the zombies. Both of them may fire for one combat round without risk to themselves. Alvarez may attempt to throw a grenade at this point, but there is a lot of risk involved. There's no chance of hitting the RV from here; the real danger is catching himself and possibly Flynn in the blast radius. The grenade does 4d6 damage to everything within 4 yards, 3d6 to everything more than 4 yards away but within 8, 2d6 to everything within 12 yards, and 1d6 to everything within 16 yards. The base skill for Throw is 25%, but there is a -10% penalty due to your armor, reducing your effective skill to 15%. Flynn may also attempt to throw a grenade instead of shooting. His skill is better, but not by much. He has 30%, which is reduced to 20% while he is wearing his armor. If you hit, you will not be harmed. If you miss, roll Luck. A successful Luck roll means you overthrew the grenade, and thus you will also be unharmed. The zombies may still take some damage, depending on how badly you missed. A failed Luck roll means you underthrew it, and one or both of you will be caught in the blast radius. How much the grenade fell short also depends on how badly you missed.

Jack, you've spent 4 out of 20 rounds repairing the engine. You may still talk while you work, but cannot take any other action without suspending your work. If you do, you can resume where you left off later without needing to roll again. Emily, you may climb the ladder with your action for this round if you wish. Lauren spent last round climbing down the ladder, and in the next update she will see what she can do to help fix the engine.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

Jack calls out to Emily: "Hey Em, take the cell phones and Crack-berry up with you. See if you can dial up some help while you're up there. And keep me posted as to how those guardsmen are doing. 'Kay?"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Flynn see if you can chuck a grenade into their midst will ya? I was bad at this in Basic."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: Invisible castle seems to be with some problem; i hit the roll dice button and my results didn't appeared, i cannot make a search, and i had to do everything again.

Flynn throw the the grenade but failed in a miserable way; but he was lucky and didn't suffer from the blast.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Almost, as pretty, eh? Not sure about that, but I do know my ass is still better, young lady." she said to Lauren as she walked past her to help her father. She stuffed the cell phone and Blackberry into her pocket, and started up the ladder.
(OOC: I am not sure if she has time to do this, but Emily will scan the area for more crazies with the binoculars, before trying the cellphones.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Flynn put far too much muscle into his throw, and the grenade soared over the zombies' heads and curved to the left. It sailed over the guardrail of the overpass and exploded somewhere below.

(Yes, Invisible Castle has been having problems for a few days now. You can't search on character name unless you've registered there before you made the roll, but you can still search for the most recent posts. Just type a number in the box such as 20 or 100 and it will give you that many of the most recent rolls on each page. If you ever make a roll and need to go back to find it, you can do this shortly after you've rolled.

Emily is using her entire action this round to climb the ladder. In the following round, she will be able to both scan the area and check the cell phones and Blackberry.

Alvarez still hasn't acted this round, so I'll wait for him before I start the next round. He may retreat further, take a shot with his rifle, or throw one of his own grenades.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez retreated a bit further.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

On the road-
Alvarez caught up with Flynn and retreated a few yards beyond his position. The five zombies shambled closer.

Lauren rolled her eyes and hurried over to where her father was working on the engine while Emily climbed up the ladder to the roof of the RV. Lauren took a look under the hood, but she soon shook her head. "I wish I'd paid more attention in shop class," she said.

(Jack has now completed 5 out of 20 rounds of repairs. Emily, roll Spot Hidden. The base skill is 25%. The binoculars will not give you a bonus to this, they just help you see farther.

The zombies are now 15 yards away from Flynn and 18 from Alvarez. Flynn may not throw another grenade this round, as they can only be thrown every other round. He may fire two shots with his pistol without risk from the zombies, or he may retreat. Alvarez may fire his rifle once, retreat, or throw a grenade. Unless Flynn retreats, he may be caught in the blast radius of a grenade and take 1d6 damage even if your Throw succeeds.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

"Well, young miss, I'm sorry that's the case. In the meantime, grab my putter from the golf bag and hold onto it for your personal protection."

"Jeezus!" Jack exclaims, flinching at the sound of the grenade's explosion but remains composed as he single mindedly devotes himself to the task at hand.

"How're we looking up there, Em?"
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez grabbed one of his grenades and yelled, "Flynn fire in the hole!" He then chucked it toward the group of zombies. He missed his target however as the grenade flew over the zombies heads. "Dang it I knew I should have paid attention in basic!"

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”