IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Flynn/Kyle)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Alvarez/Flynn)

Post by Iam477 »

(OOC: I dont trust my rolling lately ill leave it up to emily.)
A coward is one who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.
-Ambrose Bierce
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years

Post by ryansommer »

"Lauren, come help me pull the ladder up!" Emily cried as she reached down to pull up the ladder.

(OOC: Do you want to roll or should I? *Fingers crossed* We've got to succeed at this)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Iam477 already asked you to roll, so you may as well go ahead and do it.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Pulling with all their strength, Emily and Lauren pulled the attic door closed before the zombie could make it up the ladder.
(OOC: Was there a rope or anything that is used to pull it open from the hall? If so, can it be pulled up inside too? Can we use something up here to secure the attic door more? Is it neccessary?)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(The trapdoor has a handle on the underside, but not a rope. It can only be opened from below by someone reaching up and pulling it down. The hallway ceiling isn't that high, so any reasonably tall person can do that. Zombies don't know how, so there's no real need to secure it. There isn't really any way to do that in any case, as the door opens downward. Anyone could open it from above with a STR x 5 roll.

I'll wait until people post in the other thread before I update. Feel free to talk to each other or speak on the radio, but don't do anything requiring any significant length of time yet.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

After pulling the door closed, Emily fell back onto her butt and breathed a hugh sigh of relief. She looked around the attic, them moved to her daughter, and gave her a big hug. "We should probably tell your dad that we are okay" Emily said and reached for the radio. With an arm around Lauren, she keyed the radio and spoke: "Jack? Jack, are you there?"
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Iam477 »

While her mom was talking on the radio Lauren decided to grab one of the magazines she found and sit off by herself. She lifted her mom's arm from around her and went to calm down.
-Ambrose Bierce
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the attic-
Emily heard Jack reply: "Em?! Yeah, it's me! What's going on?! What room in the house are you?!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Jack!? Oh, thank god you are okay. I was so worried. We're in the attic of the house. We pulled the ladder up so we should be safe enough for a little while. The are at lease two of them in the house. Lloyds wife was bitten and she turned and attcked Lloyd. He will have turned too. Lloyd killed Alvarez when Alvarez shot at lloyds wife when she broke in. He is probably one of them too, now. Jack, please be careful. "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Lauren is still wearing the helmet with the radio built in, so the only way Emily can communicate is if she's moved next to her again or if Lauren gives her the helmet. I'm presuming the former for now.)

In the attic-
Jack replied on the radio: "Waitaminute! Let me get this straight, there's Lloyd, who's infected, and his wife, who's already turned, and then there's Alvarez, so that makes three. Right? What about the son, Kyle? Where is he? We're heading up the driveway as we speak. You're in a good spot. We will get you out of there. Are there any windows in the attic or is there a way for you to bust through the roof?"

The attic had two windows, one at the front of the house and one at the rear. Both were closed and shuttered, but they weren't boarded up like the ground floor windows. There was no direct access to the peaked roof, though it might be possible to reach it by climbing out a window.

Kyle slumped over against a stack of boxes, wrapped his arms around his legs, buried his face in his knees, and sobbed. Lauren flipped through the old Sports Illustrated magazine she had picked out, reading about athletes from before her time such as Joe Montana and Randall Cunningham.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Kyle is up here with is. There are windows in the attic we'll go to the one in the front of the house and see if we can get out to the roof. Perhaps we can jump onto the roof of the RV from there or get on the roof yourselves and pick off those bastards as they come out for you."

"Lauren, honey, can you see about opening the window over there," Emily said pointing to attic window that was at the front of the house.

Speaking into the radio again: "Lauren is going to try and open the window. Let us know what you want us to do."

Emily moved across the attic to sit next to Kyle. She put her arm around him: "I'm so sorry, dear. I really am. There was nothing you could have done."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the attic-
Kyle wiped his eyes on his sleeve. "Now Pa's just like Ma," he said. "My folks are gonna try to eat us now, but maybe we can get out the window and leave. Then nobody will have to hurt them. I know there are smart people out there, and they'll find a cure sooner or later. Then Ma and Pa will be all right again, right?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Iam477 »

Lauren set the magazine down and stood up. she had been listening to kyle and was filled with anger. "You saw what happened Kyle your mother got shot and she tore you father apart. They are dead. I dont know why dead people are still moving around but. THEY ARE DEAD!" She tried to express her rage in the quietest manner possible so as not to alert anything that could have been listening. She then went over to try and open the front window.
-Ambrose Bierce
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

"Lauren Michelle Montrose" Emily said is a quiet but sterm manner. "Kyle just lost both of his parents in ways that none of us understand. Have a heart for crying out loud."
Emily turned back to Kyle: "She's a bit frustrated as well, but she's right. You're parents are dead. Someting is going on out there. The dead are standing up and attacking the living. They care about nothing other than killing us. They can't be stopped unless you shoot them in the head. There is no cure. Their bodies have suffered terrible wounds, if they were to be cleaned if the infection they would simply fall to the ground as the corpses they should be. I'm sorry Kyle, but your parents are gone. The best we can do is safely end their undeath and give them a proper burrial."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the attic-
"No..." wailed Kyle. "Noooo! They can't be dead!"

There was a loud, metallic clang from below, outside the front of the house.

Lauren crossed the attic to the window on the other side, at the front of the house. She unlocked and opened the window, then opened the shutters on the outside. When she looked down, she saw the roof of the front porch some 15 or so feet below. The RV was parked alongside the porch, so that its roof was lined up with the porch's roof. There was also a drainpipe along the wall, and it was possible to climb down it to the roof of the porch. She also saw Harry Flynn climb up the ladder at the rear of the RV and stand on top of it. She heard an unfamiliar woman's voice on the radio: "Em, this is Kat McCoy, your husband is going in through the upper storey window, front side. Do you have a rope to lower yourselves down? And do anyone up there know if there's a ladder out here somewhere? Don't worry, we'll get you out!" She paused. "Over!"

(Emily and Lauren, roll Listen. Lauren, your helmet gives you a -5 penalty.

If anyone wants to try to climb down the drainpipe, roll Climb. The base skill is 40%. If you fail, roll Jump. The base skill is 25%. Only one person can attempt this climb per round.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Iam477 »

Lauren doesn't hear anything
She does decide climbing out of the attic wouldn't be a horrible idea. She looses her footing
But she does jump successfully
-Ambrose Bierce
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the attic-
Lauren also heard nothing else yet, and Kyle was too distraught to notice anything. Lauren climbed out the window and onto the drainpipe and started to shimmy downwards. She had been doing all right until suddenly the window of the floor below her was smashed and the shutters knocked open from within. Betty tumbled through the shattered window, flopping onto the porch roof. Blood dripped from her mouth, and her eyes were the same color.

"Zombie on the roof!" shouted Jack from somewhere below with terror in his voice, but Lauren could not see where he was. Then he yelled "Kat! Don't leave without me, I'm coming in!"

"Harry, get down from there!" called Kathryn's voice from within the vehicle. "We're backing out - got to regroup!"

Betty regained her footing and lunged toward Flynn with astounding speed. Though he had his pistol in his hand, he was frozen in shock and unable to move. She ran off of the porch roof and onto the roof of the RV, only to stumble and fall at Flynn's feet.

Lauren was starting to have second thoughts about climing down, but it was too late. She almost held onto the drainpipe, but lost her grip and dropped like a rock to the roof of the porch beneath her. She landed on the very edge on her feet and teetered precariously for a moment, but she barely kept her balance. She could not see what was on the porch or inside the RV from her current position. Just then, a loud smashing sound came from below, just inside the front door, followed by a less powerful blow strking the door itself. Then she heard her father's voice call from within the camper: "Kat, put 'er gear and toss me the gun!"

(Lauren, you do not need to roll Sanity, as you've already seen Betty. You may attack if you wish, either by running onto the RV's roof and making a hand-to-hand attack, or by staying where you are and throwing something at her. Either way, there is a -5 penalty for targeting her head. The golf club does 1d8 damage in melee combat, and the small knives do 1d4 damage whether used in melee or thrown, or 2d4 if you get an impale. The base skill for either weapon is 25% in melee, which is reduced to 20% for targeting the head. You may use an unarmed attack instead if you choose. If you throw a knife, make a Throw roll, again at -5 for throwing it at the head. If you throw and miss, roll Luck. You may take some other action instead of attacking. You may move onto the RV's roof if you do not throw a knife, but you cannot climb down its ladder at the rear since both the zombie and Flynn are in the way. If you want to try to climb down to the ground, make a Climb roll as before, and if that fails make a Jump roll.

Emily and Kyle, you can hear everything going on outside that I described above, but you cannot see what's out there unless you go to the window. If you want to climb out the window and down to the porch roof, roll Climb, and roll Jump if that fails. Only one of you may try this in the current round. Emily, if you want to try to convince Kyle that his parents are dead, you've been talking to him long enough that you may try a Persuade roll now. If Kyle is taken over by a player, he is free to react how his player wishes at that point regardless of the success or failure of your roll.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Re: IC-OVER-Middle of Nowhere(Jack/Emily/Lauren/Flynn/Kyle)

Post by ryansommer »

Hearding what was going on outside, Emily looks around to see if Kyle brought his .22 rilfe into the attic.
"Lauren!" Emily screams as she races to the attic window.
(OOC: If the rile is here, Emily will take it to the window with her.)
Iam477
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Iam477 »

Lauren's eyes widened as she saw the old lady. Damn it she thought to herself. She decided running wouldn't be a bad idea. (OOC: Betty is on the roof with me right)
-Ambrose Bierce
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Kyle did bring the rifle, as it's slung on his back. You cannot simply take it away from him, since he currently possesses it.

Lauren, Betty is not on the porch roof with you. She went onto the roof of the RV to go after Flynn. She's also only in her forties and not all that old, but I suppose she might be from Lauren's perspective. :)

Everyone is moving to this thread: Reunion. You may start reading from the linked post onwards.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”