Page 1 of 1

IC-UNDER-In Too Deep(Everyone)

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:03 pm
by Mr. Handy
Z-Day - 12:39 PM Mountain Time - Deep Mole One
In the living quarters-
Max remained in his hiding place under the desk as the sounds of battle raged around him.

In the geology lab-
Michael pulled Rosie into the lab with him. Kerry and Ellen helped Mrs. Foo inside after them. Ellen made her way over to the table where two dozen flasks of acid rested, grabbing a pair. "Come on, we have to stop that thing!" she yelled.

"Nooooo...." moaned Kerry. "I can't go near it again, I can't...it'll get me..."

Kimberly and Joe Barring raced back into the hall, carrying their acid flasks carefully.

In the lower lab hallway-
Hockey charged up the stairs with his flamethrower. Sally and Willie went with him carrying a flask of the strongest acid in each hand.

In the project manager's office-
The monster emitted a sound that resembled a burp and began to expand rapidly, soon filling up almost half of the office.

"Oh God it's GROWING!" shrieked Jenny, staring in horror at the suddenly bigger and tougher creature that loomed over her and cut off all hope of escape. She desperately clutched the electric prod, the only thing she had that might hurt it. It tried to drag her into its gaping mouth with the tentacles wrapped around her legs, but she looped an arm around the corner of the desk and held on for dear life. Other tentacles struck out, seizing Mr. Foo and Duke, pinning their arms to their sides in an iron grip. More tentacles emerged from the creature, forming within seconds.

Jenny charged up the prod and lunged at the thing that had tried to devour her, but her blow only struck the floor. She wailed in terror as it loomed overhead.

Kirby kept speaking from the reel-to-reel: "November 6th– Craig had something to report. The rocks he found are not stone but are actually biological in origin. They are, in fact, eggs. But if so they are eggs biologically constructed to withstand great amounts of pressure. I dreamed that inside Judith was a monster, eating her from the inside out but she was conscious and cursing me for killing her. That I would be the first one she ate when she got free, and oh yes, she would get free. Other samples from what we found below suggest organic origins but unlike anything we've seen. We have made a remarkable discovery of the existence of life deep below the ground, capable of withstanding the amazing pressures below. Do they live near the hot core of the earth, or perhaps do they exist below the crust and come up? Why, if they do, have we not seen them before? Why have they come up now?"

In the upper lab hallway-
Hockey, Sally, and Willie emerged from the stairs below. Lynne lay quivering on the floor, the creature's tentacles tightly wrapped around her.

Re: IC-UNDER-In Too Deep(Everyone)

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:24 pm
by Fearlessfred
Joe slowly follows the others up the stairs hopeing that they would be able to save those trapped by the creature.

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:10 am
by OathinBlood
Michael grabbed as many flasks of acid as he could hold, and ran back out the door to confront the creature.

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
In the living quarters-
Max remained huddled under the desk.

In the geology lab-
Michael took two flasks of acid, one in each hand. That was the most he could carry safely. Ellen followed him back out into the hall. Rosie, Mrs. Foo, and Kerry each took a pair of flasks too, though they remained in the lab.

"What are we going to do?" asked Kerry, quivering in fright.

"Hopefully they'll kill that thing," said Rosie. "If they can't, we may have to flee into the tunnels."

"Noooo..." moaned Kerry again.

Michael and Ellen emerged from the lab, each holding two flasks of acid, shortly after Joe and Kimberly ran up the stairs.

Hockey rushed over to the open door to Kirby's office and raised his flamethrower. "Yippeekiyay!" he shouted, spraying flaming death at the monster within. Unfortunately, he just scorched the wall due to his inexperience with the weapon. Sally and Willie skidded to a half near him, each preparing to hurl a flask of acid.

The creature in the lab turned towards them with malevolent purpose, and they could see that it was indeed larger and stronger. Its tentacles flailed out towards them. One attacked Hockey, but it missed horribly. Another pair came for him and Sally. This time it hit Hockey and smacked him viciously in the stomach. His armor provided some protection, but not enough to keep him from being knocked out cold. Sally cried out as the thing's tentacle came for her, and she could not escape. It crippled her left leg and she too passed out.

But the horror was just beginning. Two more tentacles slithered forth, one going after Willie and the other targeting Jenny. Willie avoided his, but Jenny was not so lucky. The other tentacle gripped her too tightly for her to escape, and this one looped itself around her arms several times, binding them together securely and preventing her from using the prod.

Two more tentacles struck out. Willie gasped as one went straight for him, but he managed to elude it. The second one went after Jenny, but this time she rolled out of its way. Then the thing moved towards Alice and almost swallowed her.

"Stay below!" screamed Jenny when she saw how easily the others had gone down. "Save yourselves!"

Willie barely managed to pull Sally out of the creature's line of sight. He stashed the flasks of acid in his pack, picked her up, and ran downstairs past Joe and Kimberly. "Run!" he cried.

The tape continued playing: "November 7th– The rest of the team is restive. Bateman and Smith have been working on weapons in addition to those in our armory. A battery charged prod capable of delivering an electric charge, an improvised flamethrower. They want to go below and confront them. They say if we don’t they will turn us against each other. Perhaps they have already. We are divided. Muth is in panic. He says he can do nothing for Judith. Poor Judith. Sam seems to be doing his best in holding it together. He seems capable and is aware that the others are very stressed, that lack of sleep is beginning to have its effect. He suspects madness will overtake the group in a week or so. I have instructed him about precautions if anything is to happen to me. We have heard nothing from Grey, from Warren. They have been told all of this. But they have nothing to offer us. We're on our own. I try not to dream. It's very difficult now. I have not slept for almost 48 hours. I keep my pistol close."

(Joe Barring can act now. If he wants to throw a flask of acid at the creature, he will have to face its attacks first. If he rolls Dodge even once, he will be unable to attack. His chance to hit is equal to his Throw skill which has a base level of 25%, but there is a -10% penalty due to his vest. The vest also gives him a -10% penalty to Dodge. He could also pick up the flamethrower that Hockey dropped. If he does this, he can Dodge this round if needed and then fire it next round if he's still in the fight, before the creature attacks. If it never lands a hit, he'll even get to attack it this round. The base chance to hit is only 5%, but this is doubled to 10% for point blank range and doubled again to 20% for the close confines of the office, giving him a 20% chance to hit.

He can also try to rescue Hockey. If he does this, in addition to Dodge rolls, he will need to roll on the Resistance Table: his STR of 16 vs. Hockey's SIZ of 12. This gives him a 70% chance to succeed. If he fails, he cannot move him this round. If he succeeds, he can carry him downstairs unless the creature's attacks bring him down.

He could try to free Lynne from the creature's grasp, but it has a STR of 27 at the moment, making it impossible for him to succeed alone. With Kimberly's help, he could combine their STR scores for a total of 25, giving them a 40% chance. If they free her and successfully Dodge any attacks that would hit them, they can bring her downstairs. Hockey would be easier to rescue, though, as the tentacles aren't actually holding him yet. However, it could grab him before they get to act, in which case they'd have to make that Resistance roll to free him as well.

Finally, he can simply run downstairs. The monster hasn't seen him yet, so if he does this he will not need to roll Dodge. However, if he does this he will need to roll Sanity for abandoning Hockey. This will cause a Sanity loss of 1/1d4.

Post what you intend to do, and roll Dodge a couple times if necessary. Then I'll roll the creature's attacks if you don't simply go downstairs. If you survive, then you can make any further needed rolls.)

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:59 am
by Fearlessfred
Ooc- I roll four times to dodge to be on the safe side. He is going to try to save Hockey or if that fails try to get as much acid on the creature before he is devouerd.
IC-
Joe heads back up the stairs ignoring the warning. It was his duty to try and help. He had promised Bo that before he left. Then halfway up the stairs he suddenly came up with an idea and stopped.
"Wait what if we use the acid as a barrier? If it hurts the creature it probaly won't want to touch it so we could restrict it's movement."

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
(I'll wait to update this until OathinBlood and Kabukiman have had a chance to post. You can amend your action and have Joe say something based on the result of the Idea roll, which I'm about to PM you.)

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:46 am
by OathinBlood
Michael runs up the stairs, trying to get to a position where he can throw the flasks of acid at the monstrosity but be out of range of its tentacles.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:50 pm
by kabukiman
Max will leave his place, and will go to nearest group of friends; he will bark then to try to distract the creature.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:15 pm
by Mr. Handy
(In order to get into a position to throw acid at the monster, you'd have to be able to see it - and then it would see you and get a chance to attack. Since it has 19 Dex, it will get to attack first before you can throw the acid. Only firearm-type attacks can go before it. While guns have proven ineffective, flamethrowers can still hurt it.)

In the living quarters-
Max scrambled out from under the desk and made a break for the hallway at the rear of the living quarters area and the stairs behind them. His friends were there, and he had to get downstairs before it was too late. He would need to run past the monster to do it, but there was no way around it.

In the geology lab-
"We need to prepare ourselves to go down further, just in case," said Rosie. "I know the tunnels are scary, but being trapped up here with that thing is even worse. If we stay here and they can't kill it, we're all dead. Let's gather what useful things we can while we have the chance." She helped Mrs. Foo into the hall, motioning for Kerry to follow.

Willie carried Sally down the stairs, passing Michael as he went up. "Let me try to help her," said Ellen. Willie set the nurse down on the ground, and Ellen tried in vain to treat her leg injury, but Willie managed to help. He repaired the worst of the damage, and Sally came to her senses. "It burns..." she moaned. "Oww...I think my leg's broken." She sat up and started to examine it.

"Good thinking!" said Kimberly, racing ahead of Joe and reaching the top of the stairs. "Once we get everyone we can below, we can pour it out to keep that thing from coming downstairs. It might not stop it, but it could slow it down." The two of them rushed towards Hockey as Max came bounding in from the living quarters, barking loudly.

The creature lashed out at the new arrivals, not at all distracted. A pair of tentacles went after Kimberly and Joe, It missed Kimberly, but it hit Joe with tremendous force, shattering his left leg and sending him sprawling to the floor beside Hockey but not putting him out for good. Two more surged out at them, one just barely finding Kimberly, who spun aside at the last moment. The second one seized Joe and held him fast.

It sought out Kimberly again and caught her. This time she could not escape. Her left arm was crushed to a pulp, and she was instantly slain. Then it swiped at Max and Hockey, snagging the dog and the unconscious man. Finally it gulped down Alice, who vanished into its gut.

"NOOOO!!!" screamed Jenny, seeing the whole thing but helpless to intervene. "It ate her! Nobody else come back up here, I mean it! Head for the tunnels now! Past the decontamination chamber!"

Kirby went on: "November 8th- Cross climbed out of the shaft. A dream? I don't know. I don't know. I can't close my eyes for a moment and I don't see him or Judith. I checked Judith. She is quiet in her chamber, like a coffin. It's inside her. A parasite. It's growing. Muth keeps an eye and tries to treat her. He dares not open the capsule to treat her lest it break free. It's getting bigger and it's no longer looking like a worm but some spider-like thing. He has slowed it down, but he cannot stop it. We're going to die here. All of us. Warren knows it too. Niedler wants to go down. We've done what we can, he says. But...I am afraid. Cross, Reagan...I can feel them. They are inside my head. I think they are inside everyone's head now. I know of only one other escape."

Michael reached the top of the stairs and saw his companions lying on the floor.

(Max, roll Dodge. Your chance is Dex x 2, which in your case is 18%. If you succeed, you avoid the tentacle completely and make it downstairs. If you fail, it grabs you, causing 1 damage and preventing you from moving away for as long as it holds you.

Michael, you may retreat downstairs without having to roll anything other than a 1/1d4 Sanity loss for abandoning your friends. If you want to do anything upstairs, you'll probably need to make a few Dodge rolls and hope you don't get hit. Everybody else has been grabbed, and you're not strong enough to free anyone by yourself. You can, however, fire up to 3 times at Kimberly's head with your pistol from the relative safety of your current position without exposing yourself to the creature. You'll need to do 10 or more damage in total to keep her from getting back up as a zombie.

Joe, you may grab the flamethrower that Hockey dropped and attack with it before the creature gets to act. The base chance to hit, with multipliers for point blank range and confined spaces, is 20%. If you hit, you cause 2d6 damage. You are held fast and have a broken leg, so you cannot otherwise move.)

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:33 am
by OathinBlood
Michael freezes, unable to decide what to do. Save his own life, and retreat, or try to save his friends?

His mind raced. Logistically, they were practically lost. There were still some survivors downstairs.

He fled, cursing his cowardliness as he took flight. He tried to convince himself that it was a matter of numbers, that it was logically safer to flee rather than fight.

Hating himself for running, Michael's mental stability shuddered under his stress.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:28 am
by kabukiman
-Cai!Cain!

Max was caught by the tentacle, and decided to bite the thing.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
(I forgot that Max hasn't seen the creature before and now needs to roll Sanity for that, with a +10 bonus to this roll. Sanity loss is 1/1d10. Once Fearlessfred posts for Joe and Kerry's new player posts for her, I'll update Under again.)

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:50 pm
by kabukiman
Max was terrified by the creature and was frightened and paralized.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:53 pm
by Mr. Handy
(With that +10 bonus, Max manages to succeed at the roll and only loses 1 Sanity point, so he's still okay mentally. He is not strong enough to break free without help. He also realizes that biting this thing would be a very bad idea. If Joe manages to hit it with the flamethrower, it will be forced to release him.)

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:58 pm
by kabukiman
Can he use his claws?

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:05 pm
by Mr. Handy
(He can try to hit it with his paws, but he doesn't have claws. Base chance to hit is 50%, and damage is 1d3. The attack will take effect after the creature's next turn. You can't attack this round because you just tried to Dodge. If Joe hits, you'll want to run away instead and try to Dodge again if needed. If not, you can try to hit the creature, but there's a good chance it won't help and touching the monster is painful and causes an awful burning sensation - that's why you took 1 damage.)

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:12 pm
by kabukiman
Ok, Max will try to all his courage to escape ;)

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:09 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry heard the scream from Jenny and screwing up her courage grabbed Mrs. Foo and said, "Lets go downstairs to the tunnels. I can help lead us out from there even though I do not want to go back down there. It is our only hope."

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:14 am
by Fearlessfred
Joe gives out a cry of pain as he feals his leg break. He turns his pain into rage and graps the flamethrower and sprays the creature in flames. However the pain didn't allow him to do much damage.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
(Nice rolling! The creature has been hit three times with flamethrowers, and it's a shame the damage rolls were so low. Those first two hits before it grew might have even killed it had the damage rolls been high, and there would have been a very different outcome. Still, Joe has managed to at least save Max before he got knocked out!)

The monster reared back in pain. The newly formed tentacles that had grabbed Max, Joe, and Hockey burned up and released them. Max took advantage of the opportunity to race downstairs at high speed, but Hockey remained helpless and unconscious.

"Run, Max, RUN!" shouted Jenny, relieved that he was getting away.

The creature was somewhat damaged, but still far from defeated. It continued to digest and crush Alice to death in its gullet, though mercifully she could not feel a thing any more. It focused on Joe Barring with a single-minded rage, and it snatched him up. He felt it burn through his clothes and skin once more, and as the darkness took him and he passed out he felt some small comfort that at least he had saved the dog. Another tentacle barely recaptured Hockey, and a third wrapped itself around Kimberly's corpse. Then it dragged Mr. Foo over to its mouth and swallowed him whole.

"No..." wept Jenny. "Mr. Foo!" She struggled valiantly against the tentacles holding her, but to no avail.

A new voice was heard on the reel-to-reel: "November 10th– This is Dr. Niedler, Assistant Manager to Deep Mole. Dr. Kirby is dead. A gunshot to the head. I am not sure if it was suicide or murder. Doesn't make much of a difference, does it? I don't feel well, nether does Craig. Reagan will be left in the capsule, should Grey and Warren send another team to investigate. Fuckers. They have left us to die here. We're going down. Perhaps we can find a way out, but I don't believe it. I suspect you will not hear from us again." Then the machine stopped, having reached the end of the recording.

Max bounded past Michael as he reached the bottom of the stairs. Mrs. Foo handed Sally her cane. "Yes, you right Missy Kerry," she said. "We have to get out of here. You should give Missy Sally your cane, so she can use them as crutches." She blinked back tears upon hearing Jenny cry out. She had always thought she would likely outlive her husband, but these circumstances were beyond anything she could have imagined. Still, she kept herself mostly together and resolved to carry on. He had given his life to save her and the others, and she had to keep going.

Rosie and Ellen helped Sally stand up and led her through the door at the far end of the hall to the decontamination chamber right behind Kerry and Mrs. Foo. Willie brought up the rear, and Max joined him.

In the decontamination chamber-
Everyone but Michael, who was still at the bottom of the stairs, had made it into the decontamination chamber, which was fairly high-tech for the early 1960's. There was another door at the other end, and both doors resembled airlock doors except for the fact that they were both open at the same time. They looked like they could be sealed, however. It was capable of holding up to nine people if they were tightly crammed in, but there was a little breathing room with only six humans and one dog. It had a variety of sprays and checks for biological, chemical, and even radiological contamination. A Geiger counter was present to allow people to check each other for radiation. There were also about a dozen outfits resembling space suits from the early U.S. space program, each with a nametag. They were enclosed in rubbery plastic and had oxygen masks, air hoses, air tanks, and other apparatus.

(Anyone in the room or who enters it this round may roll Spot Hidden. Also, everyone but Max roll Idea.)

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 am
by OathinBlood
Michael enters the decontamination chamber, his eyes and his mind sharp, trying to redeem himself for abandoning his friends.

"We should seal it up and get in those suits, people."

He counts how many suits there are and if the apparatuses to go with them are in working order.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:24 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry looked around and thought for a brief moment. "I don't think that getting in the suits will help us or save us. Take a look at them carefully please." She then turned to Mrs. Foo and said, "Sure I can give up my cane but it is my only weapon besides the acid and grenades so I would need to trade someone for a shotgun or something."

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:01 pm
by kabukiman
Max is all happy but cover in any place he find safe near his friends.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
Alice perished in the creature's belly, crushed to death and completely digested. Mr. Foo was also slowly being crushed and consumed within it. That wasn't enough to sate its hunger, however. It dragged Lynne towards the open door, and it would have eaten her too if she hadn't gotten caught in the doorway.

"I tried..." sobbed Jenny, still powerless to avert their doom. "I'm so sorry..."

Duke mumbled and gradually came to his senses, though he was still pinned by the tentacle and unable to do anything. Then the monster belched again and underwent another growth spurt. The massive thing now filled most of the office. His eyes went wide in horror.

"It gets bigger, stronger, and tougher each time it consumes someone!" gasped Jenny in complete realization. "That means it's practically unstoppable now! It's a good thing that hatch is sealed. I just hope the others get away..."

Max joined his friends inside the decontamination chamber. Willie sealed the outer door once he and Michael had made it inside.

"I couldn't even put one of those suits on with my leg the way it is," said Sally, "let alone walk around in one."

"I think I've got the only shotgun any of us have," said Ellen, "and that's my only weapon."

"Well, I'll try my best to move with just one cane, then, but I'll need help to get anywhere."

Kerry recalled that she had seen Alice with a shotgun slung on her back during her run past the office upstairs. She was pretty sure Alice hadn't had one the last time she had seen her, but where could she have gotten it down here? While going back for Alice's shotgun was out of the question, there could have been another one accessible somewhere.

There were twelve suits in all. Both Kerry and Michael noticed that the suit labeled "Judith Reagan" had holes burnt through one of its gloves, as if by acid. Similar burns were on the soles of the boots of the suits with nametags reading "Craig" and "Niedler." The burn marks looked eerily like the burns on Ellen and Sally's clothing where the creature's tentacles had touched them. The other nine suits were intact and fully functional, but clearly the first three had not protected their occupants. The suits were very bulky, and it would be difficult and slow to move around while wearing them. They provided little physical protection; rather they were designed to protect against environmental hazards. They were probably more trouble than they were worth.

(The suits provide only 1 point of armor, but this protection covers the entire body. However, anyone wearing a suit suffers a -20% penalty to all of the following skills: Climb, Dodge, Hide, Jump, Sneak, Swim, Throw, and all Melee/Parry skills, in addition to a -10% penalty to Listen and Spot Hidden. They also reduce your effective Dex by 4 while worn.)

Michael and Kerry also both remembered that Jenny had said the creature might be harmed by water. The decontamination chamber had sprinklers built into the ceiling that could spray water to clean off the suits as part of the decontamination process.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:13 am
by OathinBlood
OOC - Is there anywhere else to go but stay in the chamber?

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
(Yes, of course. The door leading back to the hallway is sealed now, but you could open it again if you decide to go back into the lab area for some reason. Additionally, there is the open door on the opposite end of the chamber. According to Jenny, the shaft that leads down to the tunnels is that way.

I won't update Under just yet, since nobody has posted actions for characters, but I won't wait all that long before I do. Go ahead and post as soon as you're ready.)

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:30 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry pointed out the holes in the suit to everyone and then said, "I wonder if water will cause this thing to be affected somehow? I personally do not think we should stay here and find out and I dread going back down again but it looks like we will have to. So whatever anyone else wants to do I will do."

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:59 pm
by ryansommer
Looking around at the others, and taking stock of everyones armaments, Sally says "Based on what we have here, I don't think we can take that thing." Not wanting to head down, she searches her brain.

(OOC: Was Sally around to read the lab notes or journals? Does she know about the researchers ideas about water hurting it?)

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
(Sally wasn't there when the others read the biology lab notes late in Chapter 2 or the journal Jim found earlier. Jenny was, and based on that she did tell everyone early in the battle that water hurts the creature. She also mentioned that fire, electricity, and acid can hurt it at the same time. Sally did hear most of the recorded logs. If you haven't already, you should read Zombies Behind Bars, Trapped, and then all of this thread to see what Sally has done so far in this chapter. Michael and Kerry already passed their Idea rolls, and that's when they thought of the water. The decontamination shower can be turned on manually and left that way.

I'll wait until tonight to give OathinBlood a chance to check in before I update Under.)

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:46 pm
by ryansommer
Sally suddenly gets an idea, "We could turn on the decontamination shower in here if we leave. Perhaps it will prevent it from following us since water is supposed to hurt it. Heck, we may be able to trip the sprinkler system if there is one and rain some death down on that thing!"

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:13 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry said, "I was thinking the same thing. You go girl! Great minds think alike High Five!"

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Mr. Foo was dying inside the creature, still being crushed and eaten alive. It turned its attention to Joe Barring. It dragged the unconscious State Trooper over to the office door in an attempt to eat him, but he was turned the wrong way and was too big to fit through.

Then Kimberly began to stir. Her eyes shot open, her pupils red with fury. Lynne was just starting to come to her senses when she caught sight of her, and she managed to keep from going to pieces again. Kimberly tried to go after her, but the monster hoisted the dead woman into the air and away from its other prey to keep her from eating them. She thrashed and tried to break free, but the thing was now too strong for her to escape. It sent its tentacles right for her head, missing with the first but hitting with the second and crushing her skull. She stopped moving for good.

Jenny stared in horror, and she shivered at the sight. Duke lost it again, his brain fried. He was aware of his impending death, and he began to cry. "We're going to die..." he sobbed. "We're all doomed...the whole world is doomed..."

"No," said Jenny drawing on the remainder of her courage. "We may die, but the others will get out. They'll survive. And the world isn't doomed. It's not too late. Stephanie and Dr. Hausmann are on their way to Omaha, and they're going to save the world. I know they can do it."

"Unless there's some reason to stick around here," said Rosie, "we should head down to the tunnels now. That's a good idea to turn on the shower when we leave the chamber, and then we can seal the inner door behind us. I hope that will keep it from following us. It won't be safe down there, but staying trapped up here would be worse. Come on." Rosie and Ellen helped Mrs. Foo through the open inner door and into the room beyond at the top of the shaft. Willie and Max followed them.

In the shaft room-
This room was small. Its only feature besides the door back to the decontamination chamber was an industrial elevator in the center at the top of a shaft leading straight down. A continuous steel rail stretched from the ceiling down the shaft, and the elevator was designed to ride along it, operated by a series of cables and electrical lines. Cables and gears were attached to the ceiling above the elevator. The elevator was a platform that looked identical to the one that had brought them down into the facility from the prison level, except it was operated by switches rather than buttons. A switch on a gear box could be used to send the elevator up or down, and similar switches were both outside the elevator and on it. The elevator could hold up to six people. Since the seven humans who had made it this far were smaller than average, it could hold all of them, but it would be a tight squeeze. Max could fit too if someone carried him. The elevator appeared to be in full working order.

"Are you three coming?" Willie called back. "The sooner we get out of here, the better."

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:04 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
" Yeah it is better to stay together then be apart. Plus maybe I can help us out down here." Kerry stepped into the shaft room and prepared to go below. "Should someone seal the door and turn the water on?" she asked.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 pm
by kabukiman
Max follow them (like if he had any other options!).

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:52 pm
by ryansommer
Before she let, Sally looked out the window in the decontamination chanber, looking for signs of an overhead fire sprinkler system, but was not able to spot anything. "Let's go then" Sally said as the others filed out of the chamber. She turned the decontamination shower on as she left, and closed the door behind her.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
(OathinBlood hasn't posted in quite some time, so I'm going to assume Michael gets on the lift with the others in order to keep things moving forward. If he's going to stay up top for some reason, let me know and I'll edit.)

Mr. Foo finally dissolved inside the monster's gut, and once again it expanded. Part of it extended through the office door and out into the hallway. It lunged for Joe, but he still eluded its mouth.

"We are going to die," said Lynne, "but I knew I wouldn't survive much longer anyway. At least we're getting it over with, and there are a lot worse ways to end up."

"There's so much I never got around to doing," said Jenny from inside the office, where she was trapped in the creature's grasp, "and now I'll never get the chance. So many things I'll never know. I tried my best. That's all anyone can do."

In the shaft room-
Sally turned on the showers in the decontamination chamber and sealed the door just after Michael followed her through it. Then everyone crowded onto the lift platform. Rosie picked up Max in her arms and stood crammed in among everyone else. It was a very tight fit, but everybody managed to get aboard. Willie pulled the switch, and the lift began its long descent into the unknown depths.

(It will take a few minutes for the elevator to reach bottom. During this time you can talk to each other as much as you like, but you won't be able to do much else considering how tightly packed everyone is. If you're done talking and just want to skip to the time when you reach the bottom, let me know in an OOC comment in one of your posts on this thread. Once all the PCs have done so, I'll move things forward quickly. If you don't post in this thread for a week, I'll assume you have nothing to say and treat it as if you had told me you're ready to move ahead.)

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:31 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry told everyone her story on the way down.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:41 pm
by ryansommer
(OOC: Sorry, I am new to this character. Can I get an update on what kind of weapon, if any, Sally has and how much ammo she has? Also, is Sally able to tend to her wounded leg on the ride down?)

"Smoke if you got'em" Sally says, trying to break the tension of the descent. "And reload if you are able too"

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:46 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry also asked if anyone had a weapon she could have since she only had a couple of grenades and a walking stick and she needed fire power.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy
(This useful thread tracks everyone's locations, weapons, ammo, and the like. I update it frequently, so you should check it often to see what your characters have. Kerry has two flasks of acid in addition to the weapons that were mentioned above. Sally is armed with a Colt .45 M1911A1 automatic pistol and an M-16 5.56mm NATO assault rifle, both fully loaded and with an extra bullet in the chamber. The .45 holds 7+1 rounds, and the M-16 holds 30+1 in its magazine and chamber. She also has a total of 100 .45 bullets in all of her magazines, including the one currently loaded in the pistol, and she has 196 5.56mm NATO bullets. She cannot do anything about her leg during the descent due to the cramped conditions; everyone else is pressed up tightly against her.

Kerry told her story in early-mid Chapter 2, spread throughout pages 8 to 12 in the sections that took place in the warehouse. You can find it by going to the thread called The Story So Far and going to the Chapter 2 link. Mr Zombie killer, are you going to have Kerry describe how she's telling the story and choose the words she speaks yourself? Are you telling everything, or is there anything you want to keep private?)

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:19 am
by Mr Zombie killer
(OCC: Kerry keeps private the many times she and Debby were raped but does mention that the skinheads and the other guys did lock them up, beat them, and make them do porn films. She also mentions something of what she rememberes on the route from the skinhead camp to where they are presently. You can edit a brief story using those restrictions.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:52 pm
by ryansommer
With her leg crippled, the M-16 is not of much use to her. "Can anyone use this?" she says as she unslings the M-16 from her shoulder. I need a free hand to use this crutch, so this pistol is the only thing that will do me any good at this point."

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:45 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
(OCC-Can Kerry use the M-16 and if so what would be the skill level? Cause if she can I will give up the cane to help out and take the M-16.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:48 pm
by Mr. Handy
(Sally can still use the M-16 provided she braces herself or lies down. She actually has a bonus with rifles. The normal base skill for Rifle is 25%, but in this game we've been allowing people to have 30%. Willie can use a rifle, but he already has his own. Kerry might like the M-16. She doesn't have a gun, though she'd be stuck at base level. The only gun skill she has above base level is Shotgun, and that's only because she used one at base level in Chapter 2 and got a skill improvement. She did just ask if anyone had a weapon, so she'd be the obvious choice to have it.)

The creature just missed swallowing Joe as more of it surged into the hall.

"With me it's the other way round," said Lynne, her voice full of regret. "There are so many things I've done that I wish I hadn't. Do you really think they can save the world??"

From within the office, Duke whimpered.

"They've got to," said Jenny. "If they can't, what's the point?"

In the shaft-
As the lift began to descend, Kerry began to tell her companions about how she and her roommate Debbie had gotten into this mess in the first place. She recounted their backgrounds, and then their initial run-in with Horst at the bar in Deadwood. Then she told the others about how their car had broken down, and Horst and his men had pulled up in a van and kidnapped the two of them. Then she started to describe their harrowing ordeal when they had arrived at the PMS compound. Rosie, Mrs. Foo, and Ellen had heard at least part of Kerry's tale when she had told it before under hypnosis. They knew that Kerry was leaving out the rapes this time, but they didn't blame her in the slightest for not wanting to talk about it. Those who hadn't heard before could read between the lines.

Willie shivered as he listened. He knew such atrocities happened in war zones he had visited during his career, but for something like this to happen in America's heartland was almost unbearable. He paled visibly as he reloaded his rifle.

The lift had descended a few hundred yards, but it was still far from the bottom. Everyone's ears popped as the pressure changed.

(Sally, Michael, and Max, all of you roll Sanity for hearing a censored version of Kerry's story. Remember that Sally gets a +10 bonus, but a roll of 100 still fails. Sanity loss is 0/1d2.)

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 pm
by OathinBlood
Michael is empathetic with Kerry, and a little shaken at the human cruelty so close to home.

He lightly touches Kerry's arm, trying to offer some empathy.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:16 pm
by ryansommer
"I'm so sorry sweetie." Sally says after listening to Kerry's story. She can't help but think how easily something like that could have happened to her as she traveled the coutnry. The thought of such a dreadful experince makes Sally sick to her stomach, but she is able to hold herself together.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
The creature still couldn't get Joe in its mouth.

"I never really thought there was any point," said Lynne morosely. "We were all gonna die anyway, it was only a question of when and how. This just makes it a lot quicker."

"Don't talk like that," said Jenny. "Life's worth living for its own sake. It's the journey that matters, not the destination."

In the shaft-
As the lift continued its descent, Kerry went on to describe the harrowing abuse she and Debbie had endured during the three weeks they had been held in the outdoor cages among the other female captives. Rosie put an arm around her and hugged her tightly, not that they weren't already squeezed closely together on the small platform. "You're real brave to be willing to go back down there and face them again after that, sugar," she said.

"Well, now we're armed, and there's a bunch of us," said Ellen. "If they're not dead already, they will be."

Mrs. Foo nodded. "And we can save other girls too."

(Max, I still need your Sanity roll, but there's no rush on it. There's still a ways to go before you reach the bottom. Everyone else has already rolled, so no further rolls are needed for them.

Sally, you might want to trade your M-16 and its ammo for Kerry's mahogany cane, if both players agree. Then Kerry will have a gun, and Sally will have two canes that she can use as crutches that will enable her to walk faster than one cane alone will.)

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:47 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
(occ-I agree to trade. It is 20% skill correct?)

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
(It's 30% skill. Once Ryansommer says it's okay, I'll exchange the items.)

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:02 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: My computer have crashed, and i'm forced to use another very old computer, could you make the san roll for me please?

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:06 pm
by Mr. Handy
(Done! Max failed and lost 1 Sanity.)

In the shaft-
Max trembled and whimpered as he heard Kerry tell about the things the bad men had done to her and her friend. He was disturbed, but not overly so. If any of those men had been there now, he'd have given him a good bite!

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:20 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
"Thank you all for your kind words and everything. I hope to one day put this all behind me." She tried to pet Max and said some encouraging words to the dog.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:23 pm
by ryansommer
"Here, I'll trade you this for your cane. It will help we walk better and will help you defend yourself a hell of a lot better" Sally says to Kerry with a smirk while handing Kerry the M-16 and spare ammo.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
The creature finally managed to swallow Joe Barring, and it began to digest him.

"Well, I had a pretty lousy journey," said Lynne. "In a way, I'm kind of relieved that it's coming to an end."

"I'm sorry, Lynne," said Jenny. "I wish I knew what to say."

In the shaft-
It was easy enough for Kerry to pet Max, as he was resting in Rosie's arms and she was scrunched up against her. Sally was right next to Kerry too, so they were able to exchange their things. While they did this, Kerry told about how she and Debbie were taken to the underground cells, where they were forced to act in porno movies. She also told about how some of the girls down there would be taken away and would never return, and that she was afraid the skinheads were making snuff films too. Then she started to tell how the two of them had escaped one night when Debbie's cell had been left unlocked. The lift was now most of the way to the bottom.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:14 am
by OathinBlood
Michael waited impatiently, fiddling with his gun and checking his ammo in paranoia.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:23 am
by Mr. Handy
In the shaft-
Michael had 6 bullets currently loaded in his Glock, as well as two magazines with 8 rounds each.

(You may take this time to readjust your magazines. The Glock can hold 17 bullets in the magazine and one in the chamber. If you want, you can load a full magazine and have 4 bullets in a spare.)

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:35 am
by Mr Zombie killer
"Thanks" Kerry said taking the M-16 and ammo. The ammo she placed in her pockets.

(occ-what is the damage for the weapon. I know the skill level is 30%.)

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy
(Damage is 2d8 per bullet. It can fire single shots, or a burst of 3, just like an M-4. Unlike an M-4, it has a base range of 130 yards instead of 90.)

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:43 am
by OathinBlood
Michael swaps out his magazine in exchange for a full one, making sure to keep the safety on in case of a misfire in the dangerously crowded lift.

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy
The creature began to crush Joe Barring to death within it. Since he was unconscious, he was fortunate not to feel a thing. It then began to reel in Hockey, but could not even budge him.

"Don't sweat it," said Lynne. "None of it matters any more."

"I'm not ready to die," wept Jenny.

In the shaft-
Michael was able to rearrange the bullets in his magazines. He fully loaded one and inserted it into his Glock, which still had a bullet in the chamber. He kept the extra four bullets in another magazine.

Kerry told everyone how she and Debbie had escaped into the secret Deep Mole Two facility beneath the PMS compound and made their way through it and down into the tunnels. She mentioned that they had been able to see down there because they had found a flashlight in a compartment in the lift. The only person in the group on the lift who had a flashlight currently was Sally, who had taken it from the warehouse.

Kerry described her trip through the tunnels, which was around three miles in a straight line. They had seen a bunch of odd spherical rocks, as well as disgusting black sludge that reminded her of the creatures that had attacked the explorers in the lab. Eventually they had found another lift that took them up a shaft to this place. The tunnel had also continued straight ahead, but neither of them had wanted to explore it. She knew that once they got to the bottom, the tunnel would lead left and right. It was the left hand tunnel that would lead to the PMS compound.

The lift continued its descent. It was getting close to the bottom at this point.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:53 pm
by ryansommer
Sally reloaded any spent rounds into the magazine of her pistol and topped off any spare magazines she had.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:27 am
by Mr. Handy
The monster kept digesting Joe Barring. His life was slowly being crushed out of him. It also tried again to engulf Hockey, and this time it succeeded.

"No..." sobbed Lynne as she saw the tough military man get swallowed whole.

"What happened out there?" asked Jenny.

"It just ate Hockey. It's already eaten the State Trooper. I'm the only one left out here."

"Duke and I are the only ones left in the office," said Jenny. "It'll be my turn before long."

In the tunnels-
Sally's pistol was already fully loaded with an extra round in the chamber, but she used the time she had to take four bullets out of one magazine and load two of them each into a pair of magazines that had been down to five. Willie took three bullets out of one his rifle magazines with six and filled up another that was lacking three. While the lift completed its descent, Kerry finished her tale, describing how Hammond and Earl had captured her and Debbie, chaining them up in a cell and letting them starve. Then she told about how Debbie died, only to turn into a zombie this morning and try to eat her. Robert, Duke, Lynne, and the dogs had gotten there just in time to save her.

The lift finally reached the bottom of the shaft. To the left and right, a wide circular tunnel stretched off as far as everyone could see - which was not far at all, considering that the lift's light was the only source. Sally did still have her flashlight, but it would be hard for her to hold it and the canes she was using for crutches. Even with them, she'd still be moving slowly, but if she took some of the painkillers in her medical kit it would help. According to Kerry, the left branch went north towards the PMS compound. The tunnels were perfectly round and smooth, as if burrowed by a drill. They formed a straight line and were about the same size as a standard subway tunnel. It was clearly impossible for them to have come about from natural forces.

At the bottom of the shaft, only a few feet from the lift and still in the pool of light emanating from it, were two Air Force uniforms similar to the ones Sally had seen in the prison barracks. Next to the uniforms were another improvised flamer, an electrical device that resembled a cattle prod, and two M1911A1 .45 automatic pistols. Strangely, there was no sign of any bodies - not even skeletons.

Coating parts of the walls in places were streaks of black sludge that reminded the survivors of the creatures they had encountered in the lab above. Kerry in particular was shaken by the sight, having seen it before during her flight through the tunnel four days ago. Then a chanting sound echoed through the tunnels that disturbed her even further. She recalled now that she had heard it before. The chanting did not quite sound human, and it seemed to be coming from all directions. It went:

"Ce’haiie ep-ngh fl’hur G’harne fhtagn,
Ce’haiie fhtagn ngh Shdde-M’ell
Hai G’harne orr;e ep fl’hur
Shudde-Me’ll ican-icanicas fl’hur orre’ G’harne."

(Max, roll Scent Something Interesting. Everyone else, roll Idea. Kerry, roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d6.)

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo simply stared down the tunnel, looking deep in thought. The conversation had unnerved her but she wasn't about to show it. Instead she focused on the here and now - the only time and place she could do anything about.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:49 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry stared at the wall and listened to the chanting. She said, "If I will you all I would grab the weapons so we can be prepared for what we will meet down here. We have already learned that these creatures hate fire, electricity, and water." She then thought of which way to go but the writing on the walls and the chanting disturbed her too much to concentrate.
She found herself staring at the writing more. Her eyes were drawn to it and she seemed to drown in the words. Luckly she kept her wits about her.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Ms. Foo recalled that Kerry had said she found a flashlight in a compartment of the lift she used to escape from the PMS compound. Since the two underground facilities were similar, perhaps the lifts were as well.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:09 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo goes to silently check if this one were the same.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:13 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Ms. Foo found a compartment in this lift exactly where Kerry had described finding it in the other one. Inside of it she found a flashlight. When she flicked it on, she saw that it still worked.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:15 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo trundles back with the flashlight.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 am
by ryansommer
Sally took some of hte pain killers in her medical kit, but not so many that her motor functions would be inhibited.
Seeing how dark it was down here, and how unmobile she was, Sally offered her flashlight to Willie. "Here, take this. We can't see worth a damn down here, and I need at least one hand to use my weapon."
"I suppose we should divy up those weapons," Sally said, looking at pile of gear. "Which of us thinks we can handle those things?" she says looking at the imporvised weapons.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
"Well, I need both hands to use my rifle," said Willie. "Anyone else want the other flashlight?"

"I'll take it," said Rosie, accepting it. "I could use one of those pistols, too, if nobody else needs them. I only have eight bullets left for my revolver. Anyone know how to use a flamethrower?"

Nobody said anything.

(The flamethrower has a base skill of 5%, though there are ways to get a bonus on this roll. It has a malfunction number of 93. The electric prod uses Large Club skill, which has a base level of 25%, and a malfunction number of 97. I don't think anyone down here has the skill at a higher level. Both weapons require two hands to use.)

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:41 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
well I will take the flamethrower. I can always put the rifle on my back if I need to. But I think we have these weapons here means the Gods (Mr Handy in this case) have told us there are things up here which will need killed via these. So grab ahold of all and lets go.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:13 pm
by ryansommer

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 pm
by Mr. Handy
The creature finished consuming Joe Barring and began another of its expansions. It also began to digest Hockey, and started trying to devour Duke.

In the tunnels-
(There isn't actually any writing on the walls. The streaks of sludge aren't in any recognizable pattern, they are just there. Sally's Idea roll success only told her the same things that Ms. Foo got from hers. I will also remind you that the left branch of the tunnel heads to the PMS compound according to Kerry. The one on the right goes in the opposite direction. Also, the reel-to-reel recording had mentioned that the surviving scientists had headed down the shaft in the end. Perhaps this is what's left of them. Max didn't make a Scent roll, so I'll do it for him. OathinBlood hasn't posted in a long time, so I'll play Michael until he does.)

Max sniffed the air, detecting something of interest. Rosie took one of the .45 pistols, which were both fully loaded. While there was no additional ammo for them here, Sally had several additional magazines. Rosie shined her flashlight up and down the tunnels, which looked identical to the stretch of tunnel surrounding the lift and were clear of obstructions as far as she could see - which wasn't all that far. Ellen claimed the second pistol, while Kerry took the flamethrower and Michael took the electric prod. The eerie chanting continued.

"Looks like we've got everything," said Willie. "What now?"

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:40 pm
by ryansommer
" Well, I suppose we head off in that direction," Sally said, pointing one of her canes down the left tunnel. "That one leads to the compound, right?"

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:02 am
by kabukiman
Max barks to the right and goes by the left.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:07 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo watches to see the other's response, following the direction they head.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:22 am
by ryansommer
"Well, we're not getting any younger, here. Let's move out" Sally said as she hobbled on her canes to the left. 'Willie, maybe you should take the lead since you are the most mobile"

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy
The creature lunged for Duke again as it crushed Hockey to death within itself, but it missed badly. Then it tried again, and it finally swallowed him. Jenny sniffled and closed her eyes. "It got Duke," she cried. "Oh, I can't look..."

"Wish it would just eat me too already and get it over with," muttered Lynne.

In the tunnels-
"You got it," said Willie. He led the small group down the tunnel to the left, which Kerry had identified as leading towards the PMS compound. The going was slow, but everyone made steady progress. The tunnel did not change, and after a couple of minutes the survivors came across some odd rocks on the floor. There were four of them, all identical and perfectly spherical. They recalled having seen one just like it in the geology lab. Kerry had seen them before too, the last time she had been down here. The memory made her shiver.

(I'm going to assume Kerry and Michael went with the group. If for some reason they didn't, let me know. Kerry, roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d6.)

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:50 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry was indeed walking with the group. She was just quiet as memories filled her head. She looked down and saw the rocks and gasped. Luckly for everyone involved however she did not go insane again.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:17 pm
by ryansommer
"What is it, Kerry?" Sally said upon hearing Kerry gasp at the sight of the rocks.
Sally proceeded onward with the others, being ever so cautions. "Whom ever is in the back should keep an eye behind us with a flash light in the event that thing comes back down for us.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:52 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo nods. "Yes." She keeps moving her flashlight to point in the rear direction, as they move.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
Airman Justin Hockey expired inside the creature, and Duke was slowly being ground down and digested. Jenny's eyes snapped open as it started to reel her in, but she dragged her feet and kept clear of its massive mouth. It tried a second time, and this time it seemed there was no escape, but she twisted aside at the last second.

In the tunnels-
Kerry was terrified to be back down here. It wasn't just the odd rocks, it was everything: the chanting, the black sludge, the knowledge that more of these creatures were down here somewhere. Still, she managed to keep it at least somewhat together.

The group continued along the tunnel for another couple of minutes, leaving the rocks behind. There were more slicks of black sludge along the walls, which everyone kept away from and was careful not to touch. The chanting continued, not varying at all in volume and still seeming to come from all directions. As they walked, there was a sudden tremor. It was rather mild as earthquakes went, not anywhere near powerful enough to knock somebody over, but it was disconcerting - especially for Kerry. Mrs. Foo kept her light shining on the tunnel behind them, and Rosie trained her beam of light on the tunnel ahead. So far there was nothing visible in either direction.

(Kerry, roll Sanity again. Once more, the Sanity loss is 0/1d6, but since you've already lost 4 Sanity down here any loss of more than 2 points will only count as 2.)

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:19 am
by Mr Zombie killer

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:52 am
by ryansommer
"Keep your eyes and ears open, people. And lets make as much haste as we can," Sally said as she did her best to hustle along.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy
The creature swelled further in size as the ground shook. It continued crushing Duke to a pulp and trying to swallow Jenny, who was still pinned by its tentacles. It drew her to its mouth, and she could not avoid her fate any longer.

With all of its prey inside the office consumed, it turned its attention to Lynne, dragging her towards another mouth that was beginning to form. She screamed in agony from the pain her broken leg caused her as she was pulled over the rough floor and into its maw. There was no escape for her either. Then it consumed the remains of Kimberly. Nobody who had stayed in Deep Mole One had survived. Only those who had ventured below remained.

In the tunnels-
The party continued moving through the tunnels as quickly as Sally's broken leg allowed, with Willie leading the way and shining the light ahead while Mrs. Foo kept an eye on the tunnel behind them with her flashlight. There was no sign of movement. Another five minutes passed without incident. The tunnels were unchanging and seemed to stretch on forever, though Kerry knew it was only about two miles in a straight line to the PMS compound. They had gone about 3/5 of a mile so far.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:50 pm
by ryansommer
Sally gritted her teeth through the pain and continued to move onward as fast as she could.
"Good work, everyone" she said in hushed tones, "Keep those eyes and ears open and keep moving. We're almost there." Sally was not sure how much further they had to go, or even how far they had come, but knew it was ever so important to keep everyone's spirits up.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:31 am
by Mr Zombie killer
"From here", Kerry said, "it is about 2 miles. I think we have come at least 1 1/2 if not more so it should not be much further."

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy
(Actually, it's 2 miles from where you started, and you've gone about 3/5 of a mile, so you have 1.4 miles left to go.)

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:25 am
by Mr Zombie killer
(Yeah i know that cause you said so. But Kerry does not have a perdominter on her so she is rounding it out a bit.)

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:50 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
The group progressed through the tunnels for another five uneventful minutes. Then another tremor, more violent than the last one, shook the earth. It still wasn't strong enough to knock anyone down, but some dirt did trickle down from the tunnel's rounded roof. After a moment it was over. The tunnel was still clear as far as anyone could see in both directions.

(Kerry, roll Sanity again. As before, the Sanity loss is 0/1d6, but any loss of more than 2 counts as only 2.)

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:21 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry found that with the friends she had around her she did not have to worry about losing her sanity. "I am ok guys thanks to all of you."

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:38 pm
by ryansommer
'Don't worry, Kerry. We're all hear for you, and all here for each other." Sally said, steadying herself after the tremmor. "We'll get through this, let's just keep moving."

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
The group continued through the tunnel. A minute later, it came to an intersection with another tunnel that met it at right angles. The tunnel branches to the left and right looked identical to the tunnel everyone was currently in, and that tunnel continued straight ahead. Kerry recalled having passed through this intersection during her flight from the PMS compound. She had simply gone straight through and not explored the tunnels to the sides. This intersection was about halfway between the PMS compound and Deep Mole One.

(Max, roll Scent Something Interesting.)

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:30 pm
by kabukiman
-Rof,rof!

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:01 pm
by ryansommer
"Kerry, we continue on straight, correct?" Sally says at the intersection.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:10 am
by Mr Zombie killer
"if we wish to go on to the PMS compound yes. I am sorry I am so quiet this all brings back painful memories for me."

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 am
by kabukiman
-Rof, rof (Max goes happily by the left tunnel).

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:29 pm
by thewordwasaphex
"Hmmm... the dog's acting up." Willie scratched thoughtfully at his beard, looking over at Max.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:44 pm
by ryansommer
"I can't imagine what this must be like for you Kerry. It's just aweful down here as it is, but to have to return after what you went through is unthinkable." Sally said to Kerry as she continued straight across the intersection to the PMS compound. She stopped half way across, "What is it boy? What's bothering you?" she said to Max as she patted his flank.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm
by thewordwasaphex
[OOC: How durable do the acid flasks seem? I mean, if I fall over or get hit by something, am I liable to be given a rather unpleasant bath too?]

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 pm
by kabukiman
-Rof, rof (hostile bark to the tunnel were they came)- Max continues by the left tunnel.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:38 pm
by ryansommer
Sally, watches Max growl and bark at the passage behind them. "Everyone, lets move it! Hurry! Max is trying to warn us about something back there!" Sally said as he moved as fast as she could towards the PMS compound.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 pm
by thewordwasaphex
"I'll second that!" said Willie, swinging his rifle to bear on the ominous and evidently dog-unfriendly left passageway. The danger itch he'd got being in the warzones was niggling at him; they needed to move.

Willie attempted to hear anything down the intersecting corridor, but the danger itch was distracting him. He let everyone pass by, so that he was bringing up the rear. He wasn't going to let these guys end up like Tisha... even if he had no confidence whatsoever in his ability to stop... well, whatever the hell that thing was.

[made the roll to speed things up, considering Willie's only got 35 in Listen, that's gotta be a fail...]

(EDIT: Finished his train of thought - if he's gonna die, I want the others to care! :P )

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
(The acid flasks are pretty sturdy, as they're designed to store dangerous acids. You would have to throw one against a hard surface or drop it on the ground from a few feet up to break it. If you get hit, they probably won't break, unless maybe it's a critical hit. Likewise, falling down won't shatter the flasks unless you're falling from a decent height, or if you critically fail a Dex or Jump roll, or something like that. Even under those conditions, I'd probably call for a Luck roll to see if the flasks hold.

It's fine that you went ahead and rolled. Feel free to roll skills like Spot Hidden, Listen, and Psychology as you wish whenever it's appropriate. In this case, Willie hears nothing but the incessant chanting, which seems to be coming from all directions.

I'll update Under once everyone has chosen where they want to go. If Laraqua doesn't post by then, I'll just have Mrs. Foo go with the crowd.)

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:19 pm
by thewordwasaphex
Willie felt nervous at the back of the pack, but determined that, if it came down to it, he wouldn't go down without a fight.
He just wished this damned chanting would stop...

"Come on ladies, lets get our hustle on." He urged, his eyes straining into the inky darkness behind them.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Rosie started to follow Willie and Sally down the tunnel leading to the PMS compound, then paused and regarded Max thoughtfully. "Hey, I think maybe Max wants us to go to the left," she said. "I don't know why, and we have no idea what's down that way or if there's any other way out of these infernal tunnels there. We do know there's a way out ahead through the PMS compound, but we're likely to come up in an unfriendly situation there. He does seemed disturbed by the tunnel behind us. If there's something down here following us, we might not be able to double back and try another tunnel without running into it. We can't afford to choose the wrong path here...but which one is the right one?"

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 am
by thewordwasaphex
"I've been in a few hairy situations before, and seen the worst humanity has to offer." Willie said thoughtfully. "Figure I trust animals far more than I do humans, and Max here is just about the smartest and most trustworthy animal I've ever seen. I vote we go with the nose and take this left hand passage." He reached down and scratched the dogs ears affectionately.

"I'll bring up the rear - you hear me yell, you guys take off. If I can buy you some time, I will."

[OOC: We have GOT to get moving. Whatever that thing was (and I've got some idea), we don't want it to catch us up!]

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:56 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry said, "Well as much as I hate being down here I really do not want to face those PMS bastards again so I vote we go with Maxie."

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 am
by ryansommer
"Who am I to argue with that logic," Sally said to Willie. "Let's just get our asses moving, and quiclkly"

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:22 am
by Laraqua
"This is true, the dog is a smart dog," says Ms. Foo. "And if he smell bad-thing, he not want us to go to it. Maybe a survivor?"

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
"You're right," said Rosie, petting the dog. "Max has never let me down. Okay, let's get moving."

Everyone started down the tunnel on the left, which was just like the one the group had come from. Kerry was starting to feel even more claustrophobic down here, and the chanting was really getting on her nerves. After five minutes of walking, nothing had changed. The tunnel seemed to stretch on ahead endlessly.

(Kerry, roll Sanity again, with a Sanity loss of 0/1d6. Any loss of more than 2 counts as only 2.)

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry heard the chanting and felt the pressure of the day but her friends all around her kept her from losing it.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 am
by thewordwasaphex
"Let's just keep going, folks. Quicker we move, the quicker we get out of here." Willie said, straining to see anything coming up behind them. He couldn't hear anything either, between the thudding of his heart, the incessant chanting, and the persistant itch in his brain urging him to get out of this god-forsaken pit as fast as humanly possible. Maybe even faster.
I'm getting to old for this, he thought to himself.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:54 pm
by ryansommer
Sally moved down the passage as quickly as her wounded leg would allow.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Another five minutes passed as the group progressed through the tunnel. It was still the same, and it seemed to go on forever.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 am
by thewordwasaphex
"This tunnel can't be endless... not that anything else today has made a whole hell of a lot of sense." Willie said, scratching at his beard again, "Besides - I got the distinct feelin' we don't want to be turnin' around..."

Great. He thought. Miles underground. Weird chanting. Some sort of slimy bastard thing from god knows who's worst nightmare slidin up behind us, and now the passageway don't seem to end...

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 pm
by kabukiman
Max follow the trail of what he scent before, moving his tail...

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:53 pm
by ryansommer
"I hear you Willie. Let's just keep moving as fast as we can and not think about what could be behind us," Sally said as she hobbled along on her crutches.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
After another five minutes of trudging through the tunnel, the explorers came across a narrow, tall fissure in the left wall. Unlike the tunnel itself, this fissure appeared to have formed naturally, perhaps even in one of the recent tremors. It was wide enough to squeeze through, but anyone who did so would need to travel single file. The uneven rocky ground of the fissure sloped upwards at about a thirty degree angle. The tunnel also continued straight ahead, unchanging aside from this gash in its side.

(Max, roll Scent Something Interesting. Kerry, roll Sanity again, with a Sanity loss of 0/1d6. Any loss of more than 2 counts as only 2.)

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:30 am
by kabukiman
Max suddenly stopped, and started to smellthe air, with a suspicious look.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:06 am
by kabukiman
Max growls behind them and runns in direction of the fissure and try to escape by there.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:08 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry saw the fissure and got very scared. She cried out, "We are all going to die!"

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:37 pm
by ryansommer
"It's alright, Kerry" Sally said, putting her hand on Kerry's shoulder. "We're not going to die. Max is watching out for us, and it looks like he has an escape route for us."

"What is it boy? You think we should go down there?" Sally said to Max as she peered down the passage behind them, and at the fissure.

"Let's hurry people. I have a feeling we don't have much time to dilly dally here. Which way? Fissure or straight ahead?"

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:15 pm
by kabukiman
Max keep going to the fissure.

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:48 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry whimpered in fear but said, "Whatever way you all seem to think best"

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:29 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: Since we are moving signle file, we should probably call out what order we are in as we travel through the fissure. Sally is injured, and should probably be close to the back should we need to hustle. Willie was watching our rear, and should probably continue to do so. I suggest Max, Kerry, Mrs. Foo, Sally, and Willie. Did I miss anyone?)

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:33 am
by Mr. Handy
(You missed Michael, Ellen, and Rosie. I'll update when Willie's player posts to confirm.)

In the tunnels-
"I'll follow Max and help lead the way," said Michael.

"I'll go right behind you so I can fire past you with my shotgun if there's anything bad ahead of us," said Ellen.

"I'll stay in the middle with Mrs. Foo," said Rosie. "We should keep following Max, I think. He's led us this far, and he must know what he's doing."

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:50 am
by ryansommer
"Willie and I will take up the rear." Sally said.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:51 am
by thewordwasaphex
(OOC: Sorry - been unable to post for a couple of days.)

"Everyone, get in. I'll keep to the back. If you hear me start screaming, you'll know to speed up." Willie attempted a grin, but it looked extremely sickly and false.

Hurry the hell up, or we really are going to die! He thought to himself.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy
In the fissure-
Michael followed quickly after Max, with Ellen right behind him. They slowed down in order to give the others a chance to keep up. Kerry went next, then Rosie, then Mrs. Foo. Sally went behind her as quickly as she was able, and Willie brought up the rear.

The fissure was just as dark as the tunnels had been, but the ground was rockier and more uneven. Max was relieved to find that the awful scent he had smelled earlier was getting much further away and was soon undetectable. Five more minutes passed as the group trudged up the fissure. There was no end in sight and so far the only ways to go were forwards and backwards. The ground was definitely sloping upwards as the trek continued.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:22 am
by thewordwasaphex
Hurry up! Hurry up! Hurry up! Willie thought, as hethrew worried glances over his shoulder to make sure they weren't being snuck up on. The danger itch chuckling at the back of his skull was still there, and if anything it was intensifying.

(OOC: I would assume I take a minus to my Spot Hidden roll for this, as there is no way Willie is walking backwards up an uneven 30-degree incline?)

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:29 am
by Mr. Handy
(Not in this case, since he has plenty of time to look backwards as he moves up the fissure. Of course, he can only see as far as Mrs. Foo's flashlight beam reaches, which isn't all that far.)

In the fissure-
Willie could see nothing in the fissure behind him, but that only seemed to make his imagination run wilder about what he couldn't see.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:17 am
by kabukiman
Max continues all happy.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:05 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo murmurs: "If doggy save up, doggy going to be best spoiled pooch in all America."

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:19 am
by Mr. Handy
In the fissure-
The survivors noticed that the chanting had been fading more and more the farther they got up the fissure. At this point they could no longer hear it.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:43 am
by ryansommer
"Well surely this is a good sign" Sally whispered as she hustled along.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:13 pm
by thewordwasaphex
Willie shivered. "Damn glad I can't hear that mumbo-jumbo anymore. Creepy as hell..."

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:09 am
by Mr. Handy
In the fissure-
The group continued onwards and upwards for a few more minutes. The journey was long and arduous, but at least they were getting farther away from whatever was down in those tunnels. The fisusre stretched ahead with no end in sight.

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm
by ryansommer
"How's everyone doing? Relatively speaking, of course," Sally said with an uneasy chuckle. "Let's keep on pressing forward. This tunnel has to end sooner or later."

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:22 am
by Laraqua
"Don't say end, say open up," says Ms. Foo, determinedly. The last thing she wanted was to meet the tunnel's end ... that implied an impassable wall.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
After another five minutes of trudging through the fissure, it did indeed open up. The opening led into a wide, natural cavern. Everyone emerged from the claustrophobic confines of the fissure. It was very dark, but Rosie and Mrs. Foo were able to make parts of it visible by shining their flashlights around. There were four exits aside from the fissure: one on the far left, one on the far right, and two straight ahead. Both of those tunnels sloped upwards, but the ones on the edges seemed flat.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:17 am
by ryansommer
"Thank goodness," Sally said in relief. We can finally strerch she said as she looked at the 4 other exits, "At least we can for a moment."

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:02 am
by kabukiman
Max starts running like saying: finaly space! And returns to his job and smells the air.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:52 am
by kabukiman
OOC: This is my last post here, then you will have to NPC Max until next week.

Max after smeling, decides to go to one of the two tunnels straight ahead.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:51 pm
by thewordwasaphex
"Let's keep following our furry ball of string." Willie said, still throwing worried looks over his shoulder.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm
by ryansommer
"Yeah, he's done good so far," Sally says, following max as quickly as she can.

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:12 am
by Mr Zombie killer
"Lets just get out of here. Whatever way you guys want."

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:30 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Max looked at and sniffed the two forward tunnels, uncertain of which one to take. Finally, he decided on the one on the right. Everyone followed him through the narrow tunnel, which soon opened into another cavern, this one smaller than the last. More tunnels left this chamber to the left, to the right, and straight ahead. The left tunnel was level, but the other two sloped further upwards. Max sniffed the air once more, then focused on the right tunnel. He barked excitedly, then hesitated as he smelled the air again and growled. He stopped in front of the entrance of the right tunnel, unwilling to go ahead.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 pm
by ryansommer
"Well, I certainly don't like the looks of this," Sally said.
"What about these other tunnels, Max? Are they safe?" Sally said to Max, while pointing at the other two tunnels.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:02 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Max shrugged, but did not move from the spot. He continued to focus on the tunnel on the right.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:27 pm
by ryansommer
"Uh oh. Something has Max spooked. See if you can see anything down there, will ya," Sally siad to anyone with a flashlight.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Rosie shone her light up the tunnel to the right. It was clear, and at the top it opened up into another cavern, though she couldn't see any details from here.

(If anyone goes up there, roll Spot Hidden.)

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:07 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry said, "I am staying right here. Someone else can go up that tunnel thank you."

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:31 am
by Laraqua
"I do it," says Ms. Foo. Without waiting for an answer, she goes to check. The others had far more left to live for then she did.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
"It could be dangerous, Ms. Foo," said Ellen. "I'll go in front. I've got my shotgun just in case there's anything up there." She passed Ms. Foo and led the way up the slope.

"Can't let you ladies go by yourselves," said Michael. He went with them, his Glock at the ready. He couldn't make much out in the beam of Ms. Foo's flashlight. Neither could Ellen. The cavern ahead seemed empty, with a tunnel at the opposite end leading straight ahead and another in the left wall.

(Ms. Foo, roll Spot Hidden. The base chance is 25%. Everyone who did not go up the tunnel, roll Listen. This includes Max, who should also roll Scent Something Interesting again.)

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:10 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo just manages to glimpse what's ahead.

OOC: I PMed Mr. Handy the link and lost it. I rolled a 25!

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:30 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry tried to listen but all she heard was the sound of her own panicked breathing.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:13 pm
by kabukiman
Max tried to smell again the air and listen any sound.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
(No worries, Laraqua, I've still got the link to the roll. The Search function on Invisible Castle has also recently been fixed so you can now search by name, and it was always possible to find recent rolls there by searching on the latest X.)

In the caverns-
Mrs. Foo barely made out a gaping pit in front of the tunnel entrance in the beam of her flashlight. It would be easy enough to walk around it - if one knew it was there. Michael and Ellen didn't, though, and they were about to blithely walk right into it!

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:49 pm
by kabukiman
Max decides to go to the right, but very slowly, like with an apology...

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:12 pm
by Laraqua
"Stop!" says Ms. Foo, using the kind of no-nonsense voice mostly reserved for mums and cops. "There's a pit right there."

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Michael came to an abrupt halt near the edge of the pit, as did Ellen. "Whoa!" she said. "That was too close! Thank you, Ms. Foo. I could have been killed if I'd fallen in!"

"How could I have missed the bloody thing?" Michael asked himself. He peered into the pit. "Looks to be about ten feet deep and...oh!" He recoiled in fright, taking leave of his senses. Realizing that there was no escape from these things, he lay down on the cavern floor and curled up into a ball.

Ellen reacted more calmly. "There's one of those dead things in the pit!" she called. "Good thing we didn't fall in there - and that it can't get out."

Ms. Foo also saw the zombie when she spotted the pit. It was an old man, with blazing red eyes. He scrabbled at the rocky walls of the hole in the ground, unable to find purchase.

(Ms. Foo, roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d10. Now that everyone else has been warned, anyone else who comes up this way can simply avoid looking in the pit and not need to roll Sanity. I'll still need Listen rolls for Willie and Sally, and then we can proceed with the next round. Also, everyone roll Idea if you want to consider how it got in there.)

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:36 pm
by Laraqua

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:49 pm
by ryansommer
In the darkness and silence of the cavern, Sally's hearing is acutley aware of the sounds around her.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally heard two pairs of footsteps down the tunnel behind her. They were slowly walking closer.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 pm
by ryansommer
"Shit! Behind us!" Sally said so all could hear, but not yelling it. She spun around, M1911 leveling in front of her.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:23 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
"Michael, are you okay?" asked Ellen. The man only whimpered. She turned to look down into the pit again and aimed her shotgun at the zombie's head. "Maybe I should put this thing out of its misery." Max reached the top of the sloping tunnel and entered the cavern, making sure to keep his distance from the edge of the pit. He saw that two other tunnels branched out from this cavern, one straight ahead and the other to the left.

Ms. Foo realized that there were a couple of ways the zombie could have ended up in the pit. A living person could have accidentally fallen into the pit, died from the fall, and risen up. It was also possible that it had already been a zombie and had stumbled into the pit - they didn't seem very perceptive, except when it came to sensing living people to feed upon.

Meanwhile, in the cavern below, Sally, Kerry, Willie, and Rosie looked back at the tunnel directly behind them. In the beam of Rosie's flashlight, two shambling figures emerged from below. One was a teenage boy with a baseball cap who had several rips in his shirt and bite marks on his side and chest. The other was a young woman with no apparent injuries. Both of them had red eyes and lurched forward with their arms outstretched.

(Sally, Kerry, and Willie, roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d10. Sally, remember your bonuses, but a roll of 100 automatically fails. If you do not go insane, you may fire once, but you do not have time to aim at the head, so use the random hit location table. The range is point blank. Kerry and Willie may also fire a burst, with an extra +20 bonus applied after the skill is doubled. The base skill for Rifle is 30% in this case, so this would be 60% when doubled and 80% when firing a burst. You may only target one zombie with a burst, and the burst may only consist of 3 bullets. If you hit, roll 1d3 to see how many bullets hit. Then roll 1d20 for the hit location and 2d8 for the damage, for each bullet. If you roll an impale - 16 or less with the base skill - only the first bullet does 4d8 damage and the others do 2d8 each. On a critical success - 5 or less - each bullet does 4d8 damage. Each zombie requires 10 damage to the head or 40 damage overall to kill it. Any zombies still standing after everyone has had a chance to fire once will then get to attack.

You may also flee the cavern through one of the other tunnels. Anyone may do this without risk of attack, except for Sally. Since she has a broken leg, she must roll DEX x 5 if she flees down the left tunnel, which is level. If she flees down the tunnel straight ahead or the one to the right, which slope upwards, she must roll DEX x 3. If she fails, she should roll Dodge in case she is attacked. Keep in mind that the tunnels are dark, except the one to the right, where Ms. Foo has gone with her flashlight. You'll need Rosie to come with you if you want any chance of seeing anything in one of the other tunnels, as she has the other flashlight.

Those who have gone down the tunnel on the right already cannot see the zombies or attack them. If anyone up there returns the way they came, they will need to roll Sanity as above, but they cannot attack this round - moving down the tunnel is their action. They should also roll Dodge in case they are attacked.)

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:47 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry saw the zombies walking toward her and lost her cool. Luckly for her enough horror had occured to her in the last 72 hours that she did not lose that much cool.
She snarled something nasty and fired a burst from her M16 at the teenage boy. She managed to hit the zombie boy with 1 bullet only. The bullet hit the zombie in the chest but it kept walking forward.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:19 am
by kabukiman
Max started to smell again...

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm
by ryansommer
Sally is calm and collected as usual. Realizing how close the infected were and how injured she was, Sally knew their only chance was to flee. "Hurry, we've got to get to the others! Rosie, lead the way!" She yelled to those around her. She hustled as best she could up the right tunnel, [urlhttp://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1671912/] doing well to keep ahead of the infected. [/url]

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy
(Willie's player hasn't been on the board for over a week, so I'll control his characters until he returns.)

In the caverns-
Willie maintained his composure unflinchingly. "Get her out of here, Rosie!" he called. "I'll protect Kerry!" Unwilling to leave the young woman behind, he stood beside her and pointed his rifle at the zombie she had just wounded. Rosie was also cool as a cucumber, and she helped Sally quickly up the slope as Willie opened fire. He sprayed the creature with two bullets, blasting another hole in the boy's chest and crippling his left leg. He almost went down, but not quite.

But he was already on top of them, and so was the undamaged female ghoul. They both rushed Willie, the boy grabbing him and both of them biting him. He was killed instantly, without even having a chance to scream. Both zombies began masticating his corpse.

(Kerry, you may fire again if you wish. Neither zombie will bother you, so you may aim at the head if you wish and you fire a single shot. This has a -5 penalty applied after your skill is doubled, so you'd have a 55% chance to hit. You may fire another burst instead, with the same 80% chance to hit as before. The first zombie has only 4 HP left, but the other one is undamaged. Make sure you specify which one you're shooting at. You may also retreat up the slope without trouble. Rosie is pointing her flashlight behind her, so you can still see.)

Rosie and Sally reached the top of the slope, where Max, Ellen, and Ms. Foo were waiting. Michael still lay blubbering in the corner. "Where are Willie and Kerry?" asked Ellen.

(Again, anyone going back down there must roll Sanity, as must anyone looking in the pit who hasn't already done so.)

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:59 am
by kabukiman
Max decided to continue to the tunnel straight ahead, more and more anxious.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo makes her way around the pit, steadily and carefully. Her husband would have wanted her to keep going ... to stay strong. She had to do what she could. At the very least, if her living longer might aid others ... if she died doing something to keep them going ... well, then that was what the old were meant to do. But for now she had to keep going.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:45 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry turned around and ran to the rest of the group. She told them that Willie had been bitten and was dead although she had not had the time to make sure he did not rise up again.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:41 pm
by ryansommer
"Let's hurry and get past this pit. Perhaps it will slow the ones behind us down" Sally says as she joins back up with the rest of the group.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
"Don't worry about not making sure he couldn't get back up," said Rosie. "You had to get out of there yourself, or he'd have died for nothing. We do have to get around that pit, and out of here before they follow us, but first we have to get Michael up." She nudged him, but he just continued to lie there, moaning. "Come on, we've got to go. Max, wait up! Don't get too far ahead!" She shined her light down the tunnel the dog had gone down so he could see.

(Sally and Kerry, roll Psychonanalysis if you want to bring Michael to his senses.)

Max started down the tunnel straight ahead, which curved around to the left into total darkness. The flashlight beam only extended as far as the curve.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:43 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo will follow.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:30 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry squatted down and talked gently to Michael about how he was needed back here to help the group. She told him that he was a brave man and she saw that she was helping.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:38 pm
by ryansommer
"Come on, Michael. We need you. We need you hear with us to get out of this," Sally said to Michael but it seemed to have little effect on him.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 am
by Mr. Handy
(Kerry succeeded at her roll, and only one of you needed to, so Michael's okay now.)

In the caverns-
Michael stopped sobbing and regained his feet. "Sorry," he said, collecting himself. "I don't know what came over me. I almost fell right into the pit with that thing. Poor Willie. Right, let's move out. Mind the pit!"

Everyone followed Max and Ms. Foo down the tunnel straight ahead, soon catching up to them. They all followed it around the curve to the left, and it opened up into another cavern. This one looked featureless. Two more tunnels left it, one straight ahead and the other to the right.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:18 am
by kabukiman
Max starts to smeling again...

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:38 pm
by kabukiman
...and decides to go straight ahead.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:52 pm
by ryansommer
"He hasn't lead us astray, yet." Sally says to those around her. "Let's keep following him."
As she follows Max, she begins to wonder if he is just leading them aimlessly around, avoiding areas of danger, or if he was acutually leading them somewhere.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy
(I'm assuming everyone else follows as well. Let me know if you want to do something else.)

In the caverns-
Everyone tailed along after Max down the tunnel. This tunnel was short and led to another featureless cavern. The only other exit was a long tunnel to the left that sloped steeply upwards.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:30 am
by Laraqua
"Up? A way out?" murmurs Ms. Foo. She looks to the dog first, though.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 am
by ryansommer
"God, I hope it's a way out. What do you say, Max?" Sally said.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Max could tell that the smell he had detected in the cave he had just come from was coming from the tunnel to the left.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:41 am
by kabukiman
-Rof, rof!
Max followed to the tunnel to the left, moving happily his tail.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:01 am
by ryansommer
Bending down and scratching behind Max's ear, Sally said, "Good boy, Max" before following him up the tunnel. "Come on, everyone. Let's get a move on."

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy
(Again, I haven't had a post for Kerry, so I'm going to assume she goes along with everyone else.)

In the caverns-
The entire group followed Max up the sloping tunnel. It was slow going, especially with Sally's leg. The tunnel stretched on for a long way ahead, but it felt better to be moving upwards.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:14 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
( I am sorry. I just assumed that I will go along with the rest of the group unless otherwise I state. I am playing her right now as someone who is lost in her thoughts due to being down the tunnels again.)

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:19 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo continues on with them.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:19 am
by Mr. Handy
(That's okay. I just didn't know whether you weren't posting because you didn't want to post or if you simply hadn't had time yet. By the way, this tunnel is not at all like the tunnels you were in before you went up the fissure. It is part of the same complex of natural caverns you've been in since then.)

In the caverns-
Max led the way up the tunnel for a few more minutes. Eventually it opened up into another cavern. Another long tunnel continued upwards to the right, and there was a slight breeze coming from it. There was also a faint glow barely visible up the tunnel.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:05 am
by ryansommer
"Kerry, everyone, look! A way out!" Sally says excitedly.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:26 am
by Mr Zombie killer
"thank the God" kerry said and smiled.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:10 am
by kabukiman
Max decided to smell and listening just for precaution...

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:31 am
by Laraqua
"A way out or a way in to somewhere," says Ms. Foo.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:16 am
by kabukiman
-ROF, ROF!
Max starts running to the tunnel on the right as fast as he can.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:55 pm
by ryansommer
"Hey, Max! Slow down. I can't move as fast as I used to be able to" Sally says, trying to catch up with Max.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:59 pm
by kabukiman
-Rof, rof! Aooohh!
Max starts pushing Sally to see if she gets faster, and howls.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy
(Assuming everyone is going up the tunnel to the right...)

In the caverns-
As much as Max pushed, there was a limit to how fast Sally could go with a broken leg. The group started up the tunnel towards what everyone hoped was a way out. After about a minute of walking, the ground shook much as it had done almost an hour ago. Nobody was harmed, but it was still disturbing. The tunnel stretched onwards and upwards.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:34 am
by kabukiman
Max starts to smell again...

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:06 pm
by Laraqua
"Max, please ... slow down," puffs Ms. Foo. "Please someone slow dog down."

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:04 pm
by ryansommer
"Max, wait for us!" Sally says as she limps along on her broken leg.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:29 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry said, "Max stop now. Slow down now!"

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:52 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Max detected the same scents he had smelled before. The journey up the slope was long and arduous, but the light got brighter as the survivors progressed. After another five minutes, they reached the top of the slope. The tunnel spread out into an approximately semicircular cavern with a level floor. The far end of the cavern was a more or less straight wall with a wide opening through which they could feel a breeze, and that was where the light was coming from - sunlight!

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:02 am
by ryansommer
" Oh thank heaven!" Sally exclaims as she see's the light. "Looks like we are out of the caves, but not out of danger. Keep an eye out, everyone. There could be more of those things up here too"

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 am
by Laraqua
"There will be more," says Ms. Foo with a heavy degree of finality. "There always is."

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:08 am
by ryansommer
Sally cautiosly moves towards the cave enterence. (Towards the light)

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:17 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry broke into a run for the light and freedom.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy
(I'm assuming Ms. Foo goes with the others, as everyone else is leaving the cave.)

At the campsite-
Max raced ahead of everyone else and scurried out into daylight. Beyond the cavern entrance was open, flat ground covered with low grass. The only thing that broke up the level ground was the hillside into which the cave was set. The position of the sun showed that it was mid-afternoon, almost two hours since the small group had first been trapped underground. It also revealed which way was west, though they had no idea where anything else was in relation to where they currently found themselves. The air was fresh and crisp, but Max caught a whiff of something to the south, the same direction the exit from the caverns faced, and wrinkled his nose, growling in that direction.

A makeshift campsite had been set up about twenty yards south of the cave. Four pup tents were arranged in a square, in the middle of a clearing in the grass. In the center of the campsite were the remains of a campfire, long since extinguished. There was also an empty minivan parked on the edge of the campsite. Also visible scattered about the site were the corpses of several mosquito-like creatures that looked all-too familiar to Michael, who had seen living ones slaughter his companions on the road after emerging from the meteorite and more dead ones as he was coming into Brownson. "Bloody hell," he muttered. "At least those things are dead." The area seemed otherwise deserted.

Max bounded right up to the minivan and stood on his hind legs, scrabbling at the driver's door with his front paws as if he were trying to open it and barking repeatedly. The others emerged from the cave. Kerry and Michael were next, followed by Ellen and Rosie helping Sally and Ms. Foo outside.

"Finally we're out of that place!" said Rosie, sighing.

"Max, wait up, boy!" called Ellen.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:17 am
by ryansommer
"I think someone is in the van." Sally says as she shuffles towards Max. She scanned the area, looking for any threats.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
Sally could see that the area was in fact deserted. There was nobody in the minivan, and nobody around at all unless someone was in the tents. Dirt roads left the campsite area to the north, south, east, and west. Far to the south, she could make out what looked like a giant green broken eggshell. Indeed, she could even detect a faint odor of rotten eggs, probably the same scent that Max had noticed. But why was he so interested in the van?

(Sally, and anyone else who wants to, roll Psychology. The base skill is 5% if it's not on your character sheet.)

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo wandered forward, hoping to catch glimpses inside the tents without entering them. She also looked down at the mosquito-creatures, wondering what killed them.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1703477/ - Psychology roll = 56.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:58 pm
by ryansommer
Sally approaches the van, pistol stretched out in front of her. "If there is anyone in the van, show yourselves."

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy
(Dice rolling:
Spoiler:
Michael failed a Psychology roll: 89% roll vs. 65% skill
Rosie succeeded at a Psychology roll: 7% roll vs. 52% skill
)

At the campsite-
Ms. Foo peeked through the flap of the nearest tent. It was deserted. A rumpled sleeping bag was on the ground within, and a half-eaten granola bar lay discarded next to it. The mosquito-like creatures showed no signs of injury. It wasn't clear what had killed them.

Sally was certain there was nobody inside the minivan. Max continued to try in vain to work the door handle with his paws.

"Well, I'm glad those bleeding mozzies are dead," said Michael. "I've seen what live ones can do."

"Max, what's wrong?" asked Ellen.

"I've got no sodding clue what he's on about."

"He's terrified, that's what's wrong!" said Rosie. "He just wants to get out of here as fast as possible. I don't know why, but he's been right every step of the way so far. I don't see anything threatening here, so something must be on its way." She tried the door. "It's locked, of course."

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:26 am
by ryansommer
"Well, let's get going as soon as we can. Does anyone know how to hotwire a car? If not, we best start hoofing it."

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:31 am
by Mr. Handy
(To hotwire the minivan, you'll need to roll Electrical Repair. The base skill is 10% if it's not on your character sheet. Of course, to use it you'll have to get inside the vehicle first.)

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:30 am
by John Gaunt
"Righto. If it's getting into the van that we need to do, that's accomplished easily enough..." Michael gestures with the butt of his pistol.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:25 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo continues looking about the camp site for fleeing footprints, bug sprays or other items that could point to what happened. She also looks for blood, signs of struggle and nearby zombies, as well as a handy little bag to carefully drop a few critters into. The scientists might want to study them.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:23 pm
by John Gaunt
"If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess this campsite belonged to that undead boy and woman we encountered below," the Englishman postulates.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:24 pm
by ryansommer
"I'd like to keep the windows intact if we can for a little protection." Sally said. "Anyone think they can pick the lock?" Sally takes a look at the lock and knows instantly that there is no way she can help with the lock.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:54 pm
by John Gaunt
(OOC: Base locksmith is 01%, hotwiring, if not mistaken, would require an electrical repair roll, which Mrs. Foo has.)

Responding to Sally: "Well that's all very well and good but the van hardly provides any protection to us standing outside of it, does it? If my hypothesis proves correct that the denizens of this campsite were the walking remains of those we met below, the number of tents would seem to indicate that there several campers who are unaccounted for. Ergo, it would behoove us to come to agreement and act quickly."

Michael edges closer to the driver's side window and attempts to peer into it.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm
by ryansommer
(OOC: Yeah, I failed badly regardless :) I believe I looked in the van and saw nothing, but might as well check before you break in.)

Sally scans the area with apprehansion: " I agree. Let's get in that van and get the hell out of here. Break the window."

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 am
by Mr. Handy
(Yes, Locksmith has a base skill of 1% and Electrical Repair has a base of 10%. Ms. Foo is the only one here who has it at a higher level, 35%.)

At the campsite-
Ms. Foo found various footprints in the dirt, as well as tire tracks, but they were all jumbled together and it wouldn't be easy to determine where they came from and where they went. She looked into another tent, which was almost as empty as the first. This one had another sleeping bag, which could be used to transport the dead mosquito-like creatures. This tent also had a can of bug spray lying on the ground in a corner.

(Ms. Foo, roll Track to determine more about the footprints and tire tracks. Also, roll Idea.)

"Allow me," said Ellen, hefting her shotgun. She smashed in the front passenger's side window with its butt, then used it to sweep the window frame clear of broken glass. She reached in, unlocked the door, and opened it. Then she cleared away the rest of the broken glass, reached across to the driver's seat, and unlocked the driver's door. After that, she climbed into the middle and back seats and unlocked the other doors.

Rosie opened up the driver's door. As soon as she did, Max leaped inside and scurried into the back seat, barking anxiously. She took a look at the ignition, then frowned. "I wouldn't even know where to begin," she said.

"Better let someone else try, then," said Ellen. "I have no idea who, though."

(If anyone wants to try to hotwire the minivan, roll Electrical Repair. Only one person may try this round.)

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:40 am
by John Gaunt
"Me either," says Michael standing outside the minivan scratching his head. "Oh Mrs. Foo, could you come here, Love?"

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:29 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: How long with it take Mrs. Foo to come over and try it? If it will take her a round to get to the van, I will give it a shot while we wait for her.)

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy
(Well, Michael already tried it this round, and like I said, only one person may try per round. However, I'll disregard his failed attempt and let Ms. Foo try a roll this round.)

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:50 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo fails to follow the tracks direction and she has no idea what to do with them. She fetches the fly spray before heading over to the others, examining the windows as she approaches. Hopefully, they were sturdy. Regardless, she gets the thing going.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:56 am
by John Gaunt
"Good show old girl!" Michael exclaims, squeezing Mrs. Foo affectionately on the shoulder. "Shall we gather up anything useful from the campsite and be on our way?"

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 am
by Laraqua
"Be quick," says Ms. Foo. "Who here knows how to drive real well? Best driver here should sit in car. Wait for us to be ready. Keep doors open. We grab food, but if zombie comes, we get in car and go. But where we go to?"

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:07 pm
by ryansommer
Sally points to her lef: "Given my leg, I don't think I shouldbe driving or running around looking for supplies. Mrs. Foo, you are in the drivers seat, you might as well drive for now. I'm not sure how much time we have to gather supplies. Max was pretty freaked out, let's just get the hell out of here as fast as we can, okay?"

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:51 pm
by John Gaunt
"Mrs. Foo, you inspected those two tents on the right, correct? Keep the engine running and the side door open whilst I inspect the other two tents. Did we manage to get an insect carcass for future inspection?"

The nervous Englishman thumbs the safety off his pistol and cautiously scans the area and listens for any signs of impending intrusion as he moves toward the uninspected tents.

OOC: Ouch! Critical failure on the spot hidden.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 am
by Laraqua
"N-no, I didn't, I meant to, but I didn't," she says, and sets the bug spray on the seat next to her. She remembers reading the Stephen King story, The Mist. Well, it came in handy there. She peers about and listens for anything untoward, particularly zombies.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
Ms. Foo easily opened up the ignition and rubbed the ends of two exposed wires together. The minivan's engine started in less than thirty seconds. She had learned much from working around the motel and watching her husband for all those years.

Max barked excitedly and nodded his head after Sally finished speaking. He looked very nervous indeed.

"Yeah, I think we should get out of here as soon as possible," said Rosie, climbing into the back seat next to him and stroking his fur to comfort him.

"I call shotgun!" said Ellen. "After all, I've got one." She slid into the front passenger seat, closed the door, and aimed the barrel of her shotgun out of the empty window frame.

Nobody saw any zombies or anything dangerous. Ms. Foo had already searched the two closest tents, so Michael made his way across the middle of the campsite toward the two more distant ones. He thought he saw movement coming from the one on the far left, but perhaps it was just the wind.

Ms. Foo saw nothing from where she sat, but she did hear something. It was almost undetectable at first, but it seemed to be a vibration coming from the ground. Max seemed to sense it too and began barking loudly. Ms. Foo could even feel the ground starting to tremble, much as it had done before the tremors they had all experienced.

(If anyone wants to try to figure out where you are, roll Navigation. The base skill level for this is 10%, and I don't think any of you have it higher. Willie did, but he didn't make it this far.)

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:09 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo [url=
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1710267/]realizes[/url] just where they are in relation to where they had been. She has no idea what those seismic vibrations were or even if they were natural, though she had her doubts.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:11 am
by John Gaunt
Gulping nervously but intent on behaving gallantly for the benefit of the ladies, Michael edges closer to the tent where he saw movement, clutching the pistol in one sweating palm, the cattle prod in the other. He will attempt to lift the tent flap with the prod and peer inside...

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
Though the tunnels and caverns had been disorienting and confusing, Ms. Foo had maintained her sense of direction. She knew that this campsite was about one mile south and one mile west of the motel, and Interstate 80 was one mile to the north of the campsite. But if they returned to the truck stop, would anyone still be alive there?

Michael opened the tent flap with the electric prod and peeked inside. This tent was just as deserted as the first two had been. It had two empty sleeping bags instead of one, and a book lay open next to one of them at the back of the tent, apparently dropped in a hurry.

The vibration in the ground increased, and now everyone at the campsite could feel them. They were definitely getting stronger.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:27 am
by ryansommer
"Jack! Let's go. It's coming! The black goo from below, it's coming! Hurry up!" Sally shouted from the van.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo tilts her head to one side. "The motel is one mile north east of here and Interstate 80 is one mile north of here. I don't know if truck stop still be safe though. Where should we go?"

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry quickly got into the van and buckeled up. She was in the middle seat.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:18 am
by John Gaunt
"Right, then! Discretion is certainly the wiser part of valor, isn't it?!" the Englishman exclaims as he hurries to the van.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
The ground shook more violently as Sally and Kerry got into the middle seats and Michael raced back across the campsite to the minivan. He climbed inside, closed the door, and made his way to the back seat just as the tremors were getting really intense. Max whimpered and covered his eyes with his paws, trembling.

"Go!" called Rosie. "Get us out of here!"

Before Ms. Foo could start driving, there was a tremendous eruption of earth and rocks in the middle of the campsite, just twenty feet from the vehicle. A huge form burst out of the ground and went straight up into the air. It looked like a gigantic, segmented worm, coated with slime, but its head looked more like a squid, with eight writhing tentacles coming out of it. The monster was quite large, and looked capable of crushing the minivan and the people within it with ease.

(Everyone except Max, roll Sanity! :twisted: Sanity loss is 1d3/1d20. If you don't go temporarily insane, you may act before the creature does - except for Ms. Foo, who is the only person here with lower DEX than it. Those on the right side may fire out their windows at it or attack it with some other ranged weapon - this means Ellen, Michael, and Kerry. If you miss with a grenade, roll Luck. If you hit with a grenade, you'll still have to throw it well past the creature in order to avoid damaging the minivan. You'll have to throw it 10 yards beyond, which means you'll do at most 2d6 damage with one. If you have a gun that fires multiple times, you get all of those shots before it gets to attack. The range is normal, so you get your full skill. Kerry, if you fire a burst with the M-16 you get a +20 bonus to hit, for a total of 50%.)

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:15 am
by John Gaunt

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:25 pm
by ryansommer
As usual, Sally holds it together when confronted with the hulking monstrosity.

(OOC: Can Sally use he cane to reach over the drivers seat and press Mrs. Foo's foot on the gas with the cane she has been using? This is assuming that we are not facing a rock wall or a cliff drop off or something.)

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:38 am
by Mr. Handy
(Don't forget to roll 1d3 for your Sanity loss. You still lose a little Sanity even though you succeeded at your Sanity roll. Yes, you may try to press down the gas pedal with one of your canes. Roll against DEX x 3.)

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:15 pm
by ryansommer
Sally lunges forward, attempting to push down the accelerator with her cane.
(OOC: I am really, really hoping for some sort of situational modifire to give me the additional +2% I need to succeed)

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:22 pm
by Mr. Handy
(Sorry, you didn't quite get it this time. Ms. Foo could press the accelerator herself once it's her turn to act, but the creature will go first. By the way, I still need you to roll 1d3 for your Sanity loss. Then I need Sanity rolls and losses for Ms. Foo and Kerry, as well as Kerry's action if she remains sane, before I can update.)

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 pm
by ryansommer
(OOC: Sorry. I meant to add that to the last post. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1713314/
I have a feeling it's time to think about new characters.)

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:51 am
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry stared at the creature but did not lose her mind. She did however sense that she would soon lose her sanity with all that had happened to her in the last few days.

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:03 am
by Mr. Handy
(Kerry, you're still free to act this round. Go ahead and shoot if you like. I also still need a Sanity roll from Ms. Foo.)

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:44 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo manages to keep her head though the giant creature seriously rattles her perceptions of What Should Be.

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
(I still don't have an action for Kerry for this round, so I'm going to go ahead and do a partial update. Kerry, you may still act this round.)

At the campsite-
Sally stretched forward and desperately tried to depress the accelerator with one of her canes, but she couldn't quite reach far enough and came up short by mere inches. Michael freaked out at the sight of the creature, and then he saw something else that alarmed him even more. Kerry kept her wits about her, but she hesitated to act. Rosie barely kept panic at bay, but she was still very disturbed. Ellen also held herself together, though she too was very frightened. She pointed her shotgun at the thing and fired, but the blast went wide. "Hurry!" screamed Rosie. "Get us out of here!"

The worm-like creature slithered across the ground towards the minivan. It reared up and brought its massive bulk down over the center of the vehicle!

(Ms. Foo, you have one chance to prevent the creature from hitting the minivan. You may make a Drive Auto roll to see if you can pull out and evade it in time, but the base skill is only 20%. Kerry, you may take your shot at the creature, but you do not get the point blank bonus - this took effect before the creature's attack. Michael may also act, even though he is temporarily insane - check the PM I'm sending you! The insanity lasts for 8 rounds, including this one.

If the Drive Auto roll fails, each of you has a choice. You may remain in the vehicle, in which case you'll take damage for certain. It won't be as much as it would be if you'd been hit while outside the vehicle, but if you're already badly wounded - I'm looking at you, Sally! - this will probably be fatal. The alternative is to attempt to roll out of the minivan and away before the creature hits it. This will require either a Jump roll or a Dodge roll, whichever is higher. The base skill for Jump is 25%, and the base skill for Dodge is DEX x 2. However, you may not roll Dodge if you attack this round - you would have to roll Jump or stay put. Note that if your roll fails, you are still in the vehicle when it gets hit. If you succeed, you will not take any damage from this attack, but you will also be outside the vehicle next round. If the minivan drives away, you'll be left stranded with this thing! Max, if you get out of the vehicle, you will see the worm and must roll Sanity with a Sanity loss of 1d3/1d20.

Once I have a decision and any needed rolls from all five PCs, including Max, as well as actions for Kerry and Michael, then I'll wrap up the round.)

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:36 pm
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo fails to get them out of the way in time and then, realizing she can't do this, she gropes for the door but moves too slowly in her old age.

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 pm
by John Gaunt
Rolling down the window partway, Michael screams "Die, you buggers!" and begins firing his pistol methodically.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:34 pm
by ryansommer
Despite her woulnded leg, Sally expertly dodges out of the van before the creature crushes it.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:56 pm
by kabukiman
Max decided to get out of the van but got the biggest shockof his life when he saw the creature.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:01 pm
by Mr. Handy
(Escaping from the van is not automatic. Max has to roll Jump at 25% just like anyone else. If he fails the roll, he will still be in the van and will not see the creature, but if he succeeds you'll need to roll Idea to see if he goes temporarily insane. You want to fail that roll to avoid it, and he only has an Idea score of 10, so he'll probably be all right.)

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:10 pm
by kabukiman
Max seems to get stucked in the van...

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
(I still haven't had a reply for Kerry, though her player has been on the board several times, so I'm going to go ahead and post. Kerry will thus do nothing this round, and will remain in the vehicle in the absence of any other instructions.)

At the campsite-
Sally threw open her door and rolled out and away from the minivan. Pain shot through her fractured leg, but she knew that remaining inside would have been far worse. Ms. Foo was too slow to react and could not drive away fast enough, nor could she get her door open before the giant worm struck. Ellen couldn't quite get her door open in time either. Max tried to get out too, but Michael hadn't opened his window far enough for him to fit through, and he was unable to open a door himself. He didn't have time to reach the door Sally had opened.

The creature came crashing down on the minivan's roof, causing heavy damage and breaking all of the windows and both windshields. The vehicle would not be able to take another hit like that one. Ms. Foo was badly injured by the impact, but Ellen only took a glancing blow and was knocked unconscious. Kerry was hurt a little worse than that, and so was Rosie. Max regrettably bore the brunt of the attack, having been in the center of the minivan in his effort to escape. He passed out, bleeding to death. Michael was badly hurt as well.

(Ms. Foo and Michael, roll CON x 5 to stay conscious. Ms. Foo, if you're still awake you may use your action this round to start driviing away. Just pick a direction: dirt roads leave to the north, south, east, and west. Note that this means you'll be abandoning Sally, but if you wait until next round the creature will get to attack the minivan again. Michael, if you're still conscious you may take your third shot. Once you've both rolled and posted, I'll start the next round. Kerry may also still act this round if I get a post for her before I update again.)

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:10 pm
by Mr Zombie killer
Kerry yelled, "Drive Mrs Foo ,drive now!"

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 pm
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo manages to stay awake and prepares to drive off.

OOC: Can I delay my turn to give Kerry a chance to get back in but to make my action before the giant worm? Much like delaying as long as I can for her but soon as it looks too dicey, shoving my foot on that accelerator and heading off?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
(It's Sally who jumped out. I had already edited my last post to explain your options. It's already too dicey. If you wait until next round she can get back inside, but the creature will also get another chance to attack before you can pull out. If you drive away right now, it will not.)

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 pm
by Laraqua
OOC: Oh, okay, I ask because a lot of other game systems have the option of delaying your turn and basically dropping in the Initiative queue until a place of your choosing. It's the equivalent of holding a door open and shutting it just before the monster gets there (the monster's initiative) and just hoping your friend gets in first (the friend's initiative). Didn't think CoC made allowances for that, just checking. :D Poor Sally.

Ms. Foo drives like a bat outta hell.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy
(Under normal circumstances I might allow that, but Sally has a broken leg and has rolled far away from the vehicle. She has to crawl back on her own, which slows her down a lot. She can't outpace the worm in her injured state. Also, I do need you to specify which direction you're driving, rather than just "away." The dirt roads leave to the north, south, east, and west. Oh, and Sally might actually have a better chance than the rest of you...)

At the campsite-
As Ms. Foo began to drive, she noticed that the right rear tire was flat, punctured during the creature's attack. The worm slid off the roof as she pulled away with what little speed she could. It pursued the fleeing minivan, ignoring Sally for now. It seemed to be keeping pace.

(Sally, roll Idea, but you can't act yet. Once I get those rolls from Michael, I'll post the next update and everyone will be able to act once more.)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:26 am
by John Gaunt
Michael is knocked out cold from the impact.

OOC: Sorry, didn't read closely enough.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:31 am
by Mr. Handy
(No, I meant the CON x 5 roll to stay conscious and the third shot if you do. You haven't rolled those yet.)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:43 am
by Laraqua
OOC: I just figured forward. As straight as I can. Any turning will, by it's nature, slow us down a little as Ms. Foo lacks the skill for a hook turn. If there's anything in front of us, I'll try and go around as much as I can. I'll also try not to head towards the Motel. So long as it meets those two prerequisites as closely as possible, I'll leave it up to you. Ms. Foo doesn't have anywhere near a real plan.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:51 am
by Mr. Handy
(This means you'll want to head either south or west. I'll roll randomly to determine which way you're facing if you actually get anywhere. Speaking of that, you might as well roll Drive Auto for me now to try to evade the creature's inevitable attack. I also realized that Rosie hasn't acted yet this round, so I'll have her try to save Max. He can still be saved next round, as he has two injuries. I'll say Rosie treated the earlier 1 point wound, so if someone gives him back 2 or more HP next round he will survive.)

At the campsite-
"Max!" cried Rosie. She cradled the mortally wounded dog in her arms and tried to staunch the bleeding. She managed to help him, but not enough to make a difference. The poor animal was still dying.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:55 am
by Laraqua
Ms. Foo wished she paid more attention to the Dukes of Hazzard and other American car-based movies when she noticed her lack of skill.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
Ms. Foo drove straight ahead in a state of panic, the worm oozing across the ground after the minivan. Its tentacles writhed and stretched closer to the vehicle. Beside her, Ellen lay unconscious, her shotgun in her lap. Michael was also passed out in the back seat.

Sally managed to haul herself back to her feet as the vehicle pulled slowly away, but it was still going too fast for her to reach.

(I already got Ms. Foo's action and roll, so I just need Kerry and Sally to act before I can update again. You may each shoot at the worm if you wish. Kerry is at normal range, but Sally is at point blank range if she wants to shoot at it. Kerry, your base skill with the M-16 is 30%, but remember that if you fire a 3-round burst you get +20. Sally, you can roll Idea as I stated before. Kerry, if you want to try to save Max, roll First Aid and then roll 1d3 to see how many HP he gets back if you succeed. He needs 2 or more to live.)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:46 am
by Mr Zombie killer
(Mr. Handy see I know better. If i was to try to shoot at this creature I would not kill it at all. That is why you left us the special weapons. But to use those special weapons we have to stop and get closer which I do not have any intention of doing. I will roll First Aid tommow some time for Max)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:25 am
by kabukiman
-Awow!
Max shows the sadest look he can.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:06 pm
by ryansommer
Sally has an idea.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
Sally realized that the worm-like creature was approximately of the same width as the tunnels she and the others had passed through. Could it have dug those tunnels? Or - and she really didn't want to consider this possibility - could other creatures like this one have done it? If there was one, there could be more. The giant worm seemed fixated on the van for now, so it would probably leave her alone until it either got away or the worm killed everyone in it. The only real shelter nearby was the cave she had just emerged from, and the cavern tunnels were too narrow for it to fit into. However, if it could tunnel under the earth it could still catch her if she went that way. She would have to hope that digging would slow it down so she could stay ahead of it, and that she didn't run into any others. The caverns were also dark, and Ms. Foo and Rosie had the only flashlights.

(This round you may attack the worm at point blank range, or you may instead flee. You can get inside the cavern entrance this round.

And Steve, you don't
know that you can't kill the creature with normal weapons, you're just assuming. You won't know unless you actually try, and this creature is different than the one you encountered in the lab. You also are within range to use the flamethrower, but you have all of a 5% chance to hit with it. You could also throw something at it with a Throw roll, but a grenade would hurt and probably kill Sally too. However, saving Max is definitely a good thing.)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:52 pm
by ryansommer
(OOC: Hmmm. I don't like my options at the moment. Are there are gullies or anything other than the cave that I can get to in the opposite direction? Any bushes or anything to hide behind? I can't go into the caves, so I'm going to get moving in the opposite direction with my cane and hunker down as far away as I can before it comes back. Hopefully, it will move on if it does not sense me or see me in the area.)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy
(No, the terrain is completely flat in all directions as far as you can see, as is typical of Nebraska. There are no bushes, and the grass is fairly low here. You can start moving in any direction you like, but the only shelter anywhere within sight is the cave. You know the highway is a mile north and the motel is a mile east from there, but good luck getting there on a bum leg with a monster chasing you!)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:15 pm
by ryansommer
Sally moves as quickly as she can to the east.
(OOC: Sally is going to move east and do her best to keep an eye on the worm. Once it gives up the chase, or kills everyone and moves or looks to this direction, Sally will drop to the ground and do her best to hide. Running will only grab it's attention as motion is easy to detect and if it detects vibration, as I suspect it does, it will also grab it's attention.)

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:48 am
by Mr Zombie killer

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
"Don't die, Max!" sobbed Rosie as she too continued trying to save the dog's life. Her desperation bore incredible results, and she stopped the bleeding and repaired some of his worst injuries. Max came to his senses again, and while he was in pain, he did feel much better.

They had no chance to relax, however. The worm reached for the minivan with six of its tentacles. Ms. Foo could not swerve quickly enough to avoid any of them. The first two smashed into the minivan, the first of them very powerfully, and they latched onto the vehicle, causing severe damage and rolling it over onto its side! This crippled the minivan, and further injured its occupants.

Rosie was hurt badly, but she managed to stay awake. Poor Max was mortally wounded all over again. He passed out, and was mercifully at least spared any further pain. Ms. Foo was lightly injured, but it was enough to knock her out when combined with her earlier injuries. Ellen was severely mangled and began to bleed to death. Michael took a decent wallop, and Kerry got off with only minor bruises.

But the true horror was just beginning. While the worm's third tentacle missed, its fourth went right for Kerry, and so did the fifth. The last one badly missed Rosie.

Sally had just made it to the edge of the clearing and into the low grass beyond when she saw the vehicle turn over.

(Kerry, I need two Dodge rolls from you, one for each tentacle coming your way. Once that's done, I'll update and start the next round. Nobody else can act yet.)

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:21 am
by Mr Zombie killer

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
The monstrous worm ran Kerry through with two tentacles, and she expired on the spot. "NO!" screamed Rosie, terrfied that she would be next.

(Sally, it's your turn to act now. You are one round away from the worm and the wrecked minivan, and two rounds away from the cave entrance if you decide to double back. You can also keep moving eastwards, or you may attack the creature. If you do, you're at normal range and no longer point blank.)

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:40 am
by ryansommer
Sally continues to move east as quickly as she can. She angles away from the monster as she moves.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
At the campsite-
As Sally hurried through the grass to the east, Rosie looked around in despair. She knew it was too late to save herself, but maybe there was something she could do for Sally. "Sally, head for the cave!" she shouted. "It's your only chance!" She threw her flashlight toward her, and it landed right at Sally's feet.

Then the worm struck. One of its tentacles had gotten temporarily pinned after its failed attempt to grab Rosie, but it still had seven others. Five of them surged forward. The first one got her, as she failed to get out of the way. She was slain instantly. Its second tentacle struck Michael and fatally wounded him. The third slew Ms. Foo, killing her outright. Then it wrenched its pinned tentacle free and turned its attention on Sally while Max and Ellen bled to death.

(Sally, you're now three rounds away from the cave if you want to head back. If you wish to duck into the grass, roll Hide. The base skill is 10%. You may attack instead if you wish. You may grab the flashlight for free regardless of what you do.)

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:33 pm
by ryansommer
(OOC: It took the beast one round to get to from the cave, to the van, correct? Let me know if Sally can make it to the cave in time.)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:36 am
by Mr. Handy
(The beast was never actually at the cave. It burst from the ground in the middle of the campsite originally and then attacked the minivan. The minivan was parked one round away from the cave entrance - at least in terms of how fast Sally and the worm can move. The worm moved another round away from the cave when chasing the minivan, so it's two rounds away. Sally is three rounds away, but the worm will lose the next round extricating itself from the wreckage of the minivan thanks to its earlier critical failure. You might make it there first, but you might not. If you go for the cave, make a Resistance Table roll: half of your DEX against the creature's DEX of 9. You're at 1/2 DEX due to your broken leg slowing you down. This gives you a 45% chance of success. If you fail, you'll get there at the same time and the worm will get to attack you that round before you can reach the relative safety of the cave. If you fail the above roll, make a few Dodge rolls.

Also, since Sally succeeded at an Idea roll before, I'll also remind you of this: everyone that the worm killed will rise up as a zombie soon.)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:19 am
by ryansommer
Sally grabs the flashlight and moves as quickly as she can towards the cave. Despite her broken leg was able to get there before the terrible worm

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally raced back across the open ground, holding the flashlight in her mouth and using her two canes to propel herself forward as fast as she could with a broken leg. The worm had to struggle for a bit to free its pinned tentacle, but it quickly turned the minivan over again onto its roof while Michael bled to death. Sally had only cleared a third of the distance to the cave by the time it got loose and started after her. She gave it her all and managed to reach the cave entrance just seconds before the creature arrived. She squeezed through and hurried away from the opening, which was too small for the gigantic worm to pass through. It reached for her with its tentacles, but she was already too far away. She felt something tugging at her mind briefly, but she shrugged it off and made her way onwards. At the rear of the cave, the familiar narrow tunnel descended into darkness.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:09 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: Now that I have a brief moment in the caves, can Sally rip her pants or something and use it to tie the cane to her broken leg as a splint and use the other cane to walk so she has a free hand?)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
(That will take more than a moment. In order to properly treat your leg, you'll need to make a successful Medicine roll and spend ten whole minutes. This will also get you another +1d3 HP. You might not want to do that here in the cavern entrance with the worm still there!)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:29 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: I was going to do it deeper in the caves, out of sight and such.)
With the flashlight in her mouth, Sally retreats deeper in the the caves.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
As Sally retreated into the downward-sloping tunnel, the worm let out a wail of frustration. She couldn't hurry away from it fast enough. The walk was long and grueling, and the pain in her leg was bothering her, but she knew she could not rest easy yet. After about six minutes, she reached a wider cavern. The only other exit was another tunnel leading down and to the left.

(If you want to stop her and treat your leg, roll Medicine. If you succeed, roll 1d3 for your regained HP.)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:44 am
by ryansommer
In the dim light and unfavorable conditions, Sally was unable to tend to her wounds.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
As she tried to work on her leg, Sally felt the ground rumble slightly.

(You'll have to wait a little while before you can try Medicine again. You may either do so here or continue down the tunnel to the left - unless you want to go back the way you came!)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:51 am
by ryansommer
Sally continues down the passage way to the left.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally soldiered on and made her way down the tunnel, into the depths she had hoped never to revisit. She struggled through the pain for another five minutes before emerging in another cavern. The only exit aside from the way she had come was a tunnel to the right. This tunnel was level, and it was also much shorter - she could see the end of it in the beam of her flashlight, where it opened out into another underground chamber.

(You may try Medicine again at this point if you wish, or you may continue.)

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:16 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Can Max do anything?

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:22 pm
by ryansommer
Sally fights back tears of frustration as she is, again, unable to mend her broken leg.
With grim determination, she continues through the short passage to the right.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy
(I'm sorry, but Max is dead. He was fatally wounded again when the creature overturned the minivan and bled to death because there was nobody left to help him. Everyone in this thread except for Sally has died, and if your character is dead you should stop reading this thread, especially since there may be spoilers about the worm (or other matters) that you shouldn't see given the events in Through. Sally, I'll let you know when enough time has gone by to try Medicine again, or you can always wait and rest somewhere until you can.)

In the caverns-
Sally wearily made her way through the passage and into another cavern. This one had a tunnel branching off to the left and another continuing straight ahead.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:17 pm
by ryansommer
Sally continues straight ahead.

(OOC: She is unable to roll medicine again, correct? Will she be able to try it again at some point?)

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy
(Yes, she will eventually be able to use Medicine again. Like I said in my last post, I'll let you know when.)

In the caverns-
Sally went through the passage in front of her, which curved around to the right. Soon it opened out into a wider, shadowy chamber, which had additional exits both ahead and to the right. The path ahead sloped downwards, but the one on the right was level.

(Sally, roll Spot Hidden.)

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:32 am
by ryansommer
Sally strained to see anything in the darkness. She decided on the level path to the right.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:38 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally didn't notice anything, so she went down the tunnel to the right. This one led to a smaller chamber, and the only other exit was a passage on the left.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:06 am
by ryansommer
Sweeping the flashlight across the room, Sally continued to the left passage.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
This passageway soon led to another, larger cavern. Two other passages branched off from here, one straight ahead and another to the left. Both of these passages slanted downwards.

(Sally, you may stop and try a Medicine roll at any time.)

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:05 am
by ryansommer
Sally stops in the large cavern, and takes a moment to work on her leg. Finally she was able to heal a small portion of the damage done.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
While Sally worked, she felt the ground shake again, but nothing else happened. The first thing she did was give herself another dose of painkillers. She then cleaned and redressed her wound. Next she tore the legs off of her pants, converting them to shorts, and used the fabric to fashion a better splint. Fortunately the break was below the knee. Now she could walk around with the assistance of just one cane, thus freeing up her other hand to carry either her pistol or her flashlight. Finally she felt a little better, but she was still far from healthy. She knew she had to keep moving so that the worm - or something else - wouldn't catch up to her.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:50 pm
by ryansommer
(OOC: Once I can move again, let me know. Sally will dead down the left tunnel)

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
(You can start moving now.)

In the caverns-
Sally headed down the tunnel on the left, and soon found herself in a wide cavern. Additional exits were to the left, the right, and straight ahead. The left tunnel sloped up, and the tunnel ahead of her sloped down.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:05 pm
by ryansommer
Sally scans the area with her flashlight, before choosing the left tunnel.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally saw nothing in the cavern, so she turned left and proceeded up the slope.

(Sally, roll Spot Hidden again.)

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:18 pm
by ryansommer
In her haste to get away from any and everything, Sally was unable to spot anything.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:25 pm
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally hustled up the tunnel and soon reached the top, but she didn't realize that anything was amiss until the ground vanished beneath her feet! She was falling into a pit, perhaps the same pit she and the others had narrowly avoided the last time they had come this way.

(Sally, roll Jump. The base skill is 25%.)

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:07 pm
by ryansommer
Sally attempted to jump the pit, but was unable to. Her stomach lurched into her throat as she recalled what lay in the pit earlier.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally tumbled ten feet to the bottom of the pit, but luckily was only bruised by the fall. However, that was the least of her worries. In this pit was the zombie that had been in it before, and three more besides. The woman and the teenage boy were there...and so was Willie! They had to have blundered into the pit much as she had while looking around for a meal, and now they had found one! All of them turned their red eyes towards her, hungering for her flesh.

(Sally, roll Sanity and remember your +10 bonus. Sanity loss is 0/1d10. Presuming you remain sane, you may act before any of the zombies do. If you shoot at one of them you may aim for the head and the range is point blank, but even if you get a kill the other three will still be on you. Trying to climb back out of the pit will be difficult with a broken leg, so you'll be at half Climb skill. The base skill is 40%, so you'd need a 20 or less to succeed. If you fail to climb out or if you take any action other than attacking, you should make a few Dodge rolls just in case. A regular failure will not cause additional injury, but you will still be stuck in the pit for the rest of the round. You also get one parry against a zombie's bite with a cane, even if you do attack; the base skill is 25%. However, you must choose before the combat round starts which zombie you're going to try to parry - the old man, the woman, the teenager, or Willie. If that zombie misses you with its bite, the parry is wasted.)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:33 am
by ryansommer
Sally's mind reels. Her psyche heavily damaged.

(OOC: This appears to be the end of poor Sally.)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 am
by Mr. Handy
(Not yet. With your +10 bonus, your Sanity roll succeeds. You may act now.)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:48 am
by ryansommer
Sally attempts to climb out of the pit, but cannot with her broken leg.

Back in the pit, she tries her best to dodge the inevitable attacks.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:02 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
The old man reached Sally first and tried to grab her, just barely missing. The woman was next, and she came close to getting her too. Then the teenage boy also missed her by only a little. It was Willie who managed to seize her, his arms crushing her as they wrapped around her ribcage.

(There was only one successful attack on Sally, so I only needed that first Dodge roll, which was a failure. You haven't taken damage from the Grapple yet, but you will when the zombies attack again. You can't try to climb while you're being grabbed, so your best chance may be to put a bullet into Willie's head. As before, the range is point blank and you may aim for the head. The other three zombies would still get to attack you, and you would not get to Dodge, though you do get to parry one bite attack with a cane - just specify which zombie you're parrying and make your roll when you post your action.

Instead, you may try to break free by making a STR vs. STR Resistance Table roll. You have a STR of 14 and Willie has a STR of 20 in zombie form, so this gives you only a 20% chance. However, you would still get to try to Dodge each attack that would otherwise hit you in addition to your one parry whether you succeed or not. If you do succeed, you may also attempt a Climb at half skill.)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:15 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: Oh man, so close.)
Sally struggles against Willies graps, but cannot break free.
(Three more dodge rolls for you and a parry against Willie Ouch!

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy
(Ouch! Should have shot him instead. Tell you what, give me a Luck roll. If you succeed, you may attempt another Climb at half skill.)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:35 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: Alright, here it comes. I haven't been that lucky as of late.........looks like luck is on her side for this one. However, lets try climb.....here we go.......well, well. [/url] Luck is on her side after all. I'll let you descrive what just happened, cause I am not quite sure myself :) )

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:44 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally desperately tried to break Willie's iron grip on her. Though she was a very strong woman, and even stronger than an average man, Willie was no longer human. The once friendly cameraman now only wanted to sink his teeth into her soft skin, and she knew she had to get away. She barely managed to squirm loose from his grasp and, without a moment's hesitation, started to scramble up the side of the pit. Fortunately there were numerous handholds and footholds, and even with her broken leg she was able to make progress - until Willie seized her ankle! Luckily, it was the one from her unbroken leg. Sally was unable to make progress as the other three zombies closed in on her and Willie opened his mouth to gnaw on her calf. With one last surge of adrenaline, she managed to kick Willie in the jaw. The blow did no damage, but it distracted him long enough that he released her ankle and she was able to scurry up and out of reach. She hauled herself over the lip of the pit and lay on the edge for a minute, gasping for breath and stunned by how close she had come to a horrible end.

Now that Sally knew where the pit was, she could easily avoid it provided she didn't get lost and forget where it was. In addition to the downward-sloping tunnel behind her, there were also tunnels directly across from it and in the left wall of the cavern. Both of them were level.

(Sally, you may act again now. If you want to treat your bruises from the fall, roll First Aid. You only took 1 damage, so any success will heal it. Alternatively, you may move. You may also roll Navigate, with a base skill of 10%, to try to determine where you are now that you've found a familiar landmark. If that fails, you may roll Idea.)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:39 am
by ryansommer
Not wanting to be near the pit that nearly claimed her life any longer, Sally decides to move on, before working on her injuries. She uses he flashlight to attempt to get her bearings, but is unable to deside which way to go.

She does look for a few rocks, however, and makes a pile in the middle of the chamber. At least she will know she has been in this chamber if she is unlucky enough to find her way here again.

She heads for the tunnel straight ahead of her.Before she heads off, however, an idea comes to her.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally realized that she had been in this chamber before - twice. Not only did she bypass the pit during her first trip through the caverns on her way to the campsite, she had also been here only a few minutes before, and she had entered from the tunnel directly across from the pit and departed via the one on her left. The tunnel ahead led back to the surface...and the worm, which was likely on its way to find her. The tunnel behind her that sloped down would eventually lead her back to the fissure if she retraced her steps. She didn't remember exactly how to get there, but she knew that she would need to keep heading down.

She thought for a moment about where she ultimately wanted to go. She didn't know what else lay in these caves, or if there was any other way to the surface through them. She did know that there were two ways back if she went through the fissure, though it meant going through the tunnels that had probably been burrowed out by the worm or creatures like it. She could return to the lab, but that would mean facing the monster that had broken her leg and devoured her friends, and it had gotten incredibly huge from eating them. And even if she got past it, the hatch was still sealed from the other side unless someone up there had been foolish enough to open it. Or she could head to the other lab, the one beneath the PMS compound. The idea was not appealing to her in the slightest. Going in a group would have been difficult enough, but going alone was downright terrifying, though it was easier for one person to sneak around than for a whole bunch. Maybe the skinheads were all dead, but that would mean she'd have zombies to contend with. If they were alive, she might be able to avoid detection and find allies. Failing that, she might be able to talk her way through.

(If you want to change which tunnel you're heading for, you may.)

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:02 am
by ryansommer
Sally changes direction and heads down the tunnel that leads down, towards the fissure.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally returned to the tunnel she had been in before she had fallen in the pit. This one had exits directly ahead, to the left, and to the right. The one on the left sloped down, and the one on the right sloped up, as did the one behind her that led to the pit, of course.

The ground began to tremble slightly.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:21 am
by ryansommer
Sally spots nothing and takes the tunnel that leads down deeper.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy
In the caverns-
Sally hastened down the left passage and soon found herself back in the wide cavern she had initially entered from the fissure. Indeed, the fissure itself was directly across from her. Two more tunnels branched out on the far left and far right of the cavern, both of them flat. Another upward-sloping tunnel was also behind her, not far to the right of the one she had just emerged from.

The tremor built to a crescendo, and Sally heard the sound of shattering rock, much as she had at the campsite when the worm had first burst forth. The sound had come from some distance behind her and to her left.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:18 pm
by ryansommer
Wanting to get as much distance between herself and the best, Sally hurried towards the far right fissure as quickly as she could.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 pm
by Mr. Handy
(There is only one fissure, the one directly ahead. The fissure is far too narrow for the worm to fit through, and it's a tight squeeze even for Sally. The other four exits leaving this cave - the two behind her, the one on the far left, and the one on the far right - are all fairly wide and the worm could fit through them. Please clarify which way you want to head.)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:01 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: Sally will head towards the fissure)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy
In the fissure-
Sally hurried across the cavern as quickly as she could and squeezed into the fissure that led back down to the eerie tunnels. It was slow going and unnerving, not to mention painful, but she persevered, knowing that staying in the caves would cost her her life. She had already had a few brushes with death, and the next one might be too close. As she descended, she was able to hear that awful chanting again. It got louder as she got closer to the bottom. Finally, after about fifteen minutes, she reached the exit from the fissure in the wall of one of the tunnels, which stretched off to the left and right, seemingly forever. She knew that the right branch would lead her back toward the secret lab under the T-Bone and to the one under the PMS compound. The left branch led away into the unknown.

(Sally, you may stop and apply First Aid to your bruises now or at any time later. It only takes a minute to try.)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:15 am
by ryansommer
Sally takes a moment to bandage her wounds, before heading to the left.....the path not yet taken. "Here goes nothing" she say mutters as she makes her way down the path.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Sally trudged down the tunnel beyond the fissure to the left. She had no way of knowing if there was any way out of these infernal tunnels in this direction, though. She could not afford to get lost down here, or the worm would be able to find her. She could feel something probing her mind weakly. Was that how it was tracking her? The tunnel seemed endless ahead of her.

(Let me know how far you're willing to walk in this direction.)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 am
by ryansommer
Doubt begins to creep back into Sally's mind. Getting lost could be the death of her, but then again, so could everything else that has happened today. The PMS compound was surely filled with infected. Even if it wasn't it was surely filled with those PMS bastards. The other facility was filled with that black monster that had already killed all her friends. She glanced down at the .45 she carried. If the end came for her, it would be on her terms. She had to make sure to leave one bullet for herself.
A tear streaked her dirty cheek as she continued onward.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Sally continued her grueling, exhausting walk. After another fifteen minutes, she finally saw an intersection ahead. As she approached it, she felt the ground tremble again. The tunnel she was in continued ahead, and the intersecting tunnel went off to the left and the right. All of the tunnel branches seemed to go on forever. How far could they possibly stretch? She knew she had to find a way out of here soon. If the worm dug its way into these tunnels, which seemed to have been carved out by it or its kind, it would inevitably catch up to her considering her broken leg. She needed to get to the surface, and once there she needed a vehicle so she could get far, far away from it. And if the worm didn't stop her, her own exhaustion would.

(Sally, roll CON x 5. If you fail, you will receive a -5 penalty to all skill rolls until you get at least half an hour of continuous rest. Also, roll Idea.)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:45 am
by ryansommer
Sally trudges along, and soon becomes exhausted.
Despite her exhaustion, an idea comes to her.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Sally realized that these tunnels could go on for a long, long time before she found a way to the surface - if she ever did. Meanwhile, that worm would be coming up behind her, and there could be others like it down here too. In her current state, she couldn't go on for too much longer at any rate, even if she did stay ahead of the worm. Back the way she had come were three ways she knew of to get back to the surface, but all of them had their dangers. The fissure led back to the caverns where the worm had been following her, the lab beneath the T-Bone had that monster in it, and as far as she knew the hatch was still sealed from the outside. The second lab beneath the PMS compound led to either skinheads or zombies - or both. None of the choices were good, but pressing her luck by wandering off into the unknown could be the worst choice of all. If she wanted to double back, this would probably be her last chance. She might not have the strength or the time to make it back if she tried it later.

(Sally, you may choose a direction now.)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:03 am
by ryansommer
(OOC: you know, I was going to say screw it and head to PMS, but I decided not to.)

Sally realizes she could be down here forever and not find a way out, so she decides to turn around and head for the PMS compound.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Sally hiked back through the tunnel the way she had come, cursing herself for having wasted so much time and energy by heading in the wrong direction. After another fifteen agonizing minutes, she had reached the fissure again. She moved beyond it and continued straight down the tunnel. As she walked, she felt the ground shake again, but nothing further happened - yet. Her legs ached like mad, and her knees felt like jelly. A quarter of an hour past the fissure, she came to another four-way intersection. She recalled from Kerry's account that the tunnel to the left would lead to the lab under the PMS compound, while the tunnel on the right went back to the lab under the T-Bone. This junction was about halfway between the two labs. Sally struggled to fend off her growing weakness.

(Sally, roll CON x 4. If you fail, you will have another -5 penalty to all skills, cumulative with the -5 penalty you're suffering from for a total of -10. Half an hour of continuous rest will remove your penalty, but you can't afford to rest now!)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:29 am
by ryansommer
Sally grew more exhausted but knew she had to continue through the pain, for now.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy
(By the way, the penalty only applies to skill rolls, not to rolls against multiples of your stats. Physical stat rolls will simply increase in difficulty, and I'll adjust the multipliers as appropraite. The roll failed regardless, so your skill penalty is now -10. Luck, Idea, and Know are unaffected, as are rolls against APP or SIZ if they ever come up.)

In the caverns-
Sally turned left and headed for the PMS compound, drawing on her ever-shrinking reserves of strength. After a few minutes of walking, she felt another rumble and heard the sound of rock being broken apart from well to the west. It could only mean one thing: the worm had entered the tunnels! She tried to quicken her pace further still, without regard for the pain flooding her body in spite of the painkillers she had taken. Onward, onward, onward she marched. The tunnel seemed to be always the same, and it stretched away into infinity. At last, when she thought she could go no farther, she came across a sight that, while very disturbing, also gave her a little hope.

The tunnel up ahead was strewn with garbage and rubbish. Sally smelled it a little while before she actually saw it in her flashlight beam. Worse still, it was littered with bones, many bones. When she got closer, she saw that they were complete human skeletons, completely devoid of flesh. They had been severely damaged, probably from being dropped down the lift shaft that seemed as endless as the tunnels from down here. In the middle of all of this was an alcove on the side of the tunnel containing a lift, much like the one that she had used to flee from Deep Mole One to enter these tunnels in the first place. This must have been what Kerry had used to escape from the PMS compound, and now she was contemplating heading right into the place. Still, maybe she could get through this. The skinheads, if any still lived, didn't know who she was, and she was white - but Kerry had been white too. They also might not be expecting anyone to come up from down here. The tunnel also continued beyond the lift, and the refuse petered out quickly past that point, but she had no clue what, if anything, lay in that direction. She was certain the worm was behind her, and gaining fast. There could be no turning back now.

(Sally, roll Sanity for seeing the bones, and remember your +10 bonus. Sanity loss is 0/1d3.)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:11 am
by ryansommer
As horrifying as the sight ahead of her was, the thought of the fast approaching worm was more frightening, and Sally's sheer will to survive allowed her to keep it together.
She hurried as quickly as she could with a grim determination towards the lift. She prayed, that the lift was still down.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
In the tunnels-
Sally hobbled over to the lift and saw that it was indeed down here. It had a gear box and switches just like the other lift, and she was already familiar with how it functioned. As she boarded the lift, she felt her legs give out and she had to sit down. She recalled that the shaft was very long, so she'd at least have a few minutes to relax while the lift rose. All she had to do was activate the switch.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:41 am
by ryansommer
Sally flips the switch on the lift as soon as she sets foot on it.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy
On the lift-
The lift started to rise as Sally sat down. Again she felt the worm's presence in her mind, as if it were trying to pull her back down. Had she not been so strong-willed, she might have been compelled to yield, but her resolve to survive was stronger than ever now. She resisted the intrusion, and soon it passed. The lift ascended through the hole in the ceiling and rose up the shaft. Sally looked up with anticipation, but also dread. She had survived against nearly impossible odds, narrowly avoiding death at every turn, but she was finally escaping from this hellhole - only to enter another one. She rested her weary body while she could, knowing she'd probably have little chance afterward. Though she had triumphed over several deadly challenges, she couldn't help but feel that the worst was yet to come...

(Under is now over! Congratulations for being the sole survivor of this section. There were a few places where Sally nearly died, but she squeaked through! That's it until Chapter 4. When it starts, probably in November, the lift will reach the top of the shaft, but I have some preparation to do before then and I also need to wrap up Over and Through. Once Chapter 3 concludes for all three sections, I'll give you and all the other players instructions on how to make skill experience checks. Sally has quite a few skills checked, some of them at fairly low levels, so it's likely she'll get several skill increases.)

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Sally[/b], continue in your new Chapter 4 thread by following the link below:
The Lion's Den