IC-UNDER-In Too Deep(Everyone)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Re: IC-UNDER-In Too Deep(Everyone)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Kerry yelled, "Drive Mrs Foo ,drive now!"
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Ms. Foo manages to stay awake and prepares to drive off.

OOC: Can I delay my turn to give Kerry a chance to get back in but to make my action before the giant worm? Much like delaying as long as I can for her but soon as it looks too dicey, shoving my foot on that accelerator and heading off?
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(It's Sally who jumped out. I had already edited my last post to explain your options. It's already too dicey. If you wait until next round she can get back inside, but the creature will also get another chance to attack before you can pull out. If you drive away right now, it will not.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

OOC: Oh, okay, I ask because a lot of other game systems have the option of delaying your turn and basically dropping in the Initiative queue until a place of your choosing. It's the equivalent of holding a door open and shutting it just before the monster gets there (the monster's initiative) and just hoping your friend gets in first (the friend's initiative). Didn't think CoC made allowances for that, just checking. :D Poor Sally.

Ms. Foo drives like a bat outta hell.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Under normal circumstances I might allow that, but Sally has a broken leg and has rolled far away from the vehicle. She has to crawl back on her own, which slows her down a lot. She can't outpace the worm in her injured state. Also, I do need you to specify which direction you're driving, rather than just "away." The dirt roads leave to the north, south, east, and west. Oh, and Sally might actually have a better chance than the rest of you...)

At the campsite-
As Ms. Foo began to drive, she noticed that the right rear tire was flat, punctured during the creature's attack. The worm slid off the roof as she pulled away with what little speed she could. It pursued the fleeing minivan, ignoring Sally for now. It seemed to be keeping pace.

(Sally, roll Idea, but you can't act yet. Once I get those rolls from Michael, I'll post the next update and everyone will be able to act once more.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by John Gaunt »

Michael is knocked out cold from the impact.

OOC: Sorry, didn't read closely enough.
Last edited by John Gaunt on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(No, I meant the CON x 5 roll to stay conscious and the third shot if you do. You haven't rolled those yet.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

OOC: I just figured forward. As straight as I can. Any turning will, by it's nature, slow us down a little as Ms. Foo lacks the skill for a hook turn. If there's anything in front of us, I'll try and go around as much as I can. I'll also try not to head towards the Motel. So long as it meets those two prerequisites as closely as possible, I'll leave it up to you. Ms. Foo doesn't have anywhere near a real plan.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(This means you'll want to head either south or west. I'll roll randomly to determine which way you're facing if you actually get anywhere. Speaking of that, you might as well roll Drive Auto for me now to try to evade the creature's inevitable attack. I also realized that Rosie hasn't acted yet this round, so I'll have her try to save Max. He can still be saved next round, as he has two injuries. I'll say Rosie treated the earlier 1 point wound, so if someone gives him back 2 or more HP next round he will survive.)

At the campsite-
"Max!" cried Rosie. She cradled the mortally wounded dog in her arms and tried to staunch the bleeding. She managed to help him, but not enough to make a difference. The poor animal was still dying.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Ms. Foo wished she paid more attention to the Dukes of Hazzard and other American car-based movies when she noticed her lack of skill.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the campsite-
Ms. Foo drove straight ahead in a state of panic, the worm oozing across the ground after the minivan. Its tentacles writhed and stretched closer to the vehicle. Beside her, Ellen lay unconscious, her shotgun in her lap. Michael was also passed out in the back seat.

Sally managed to haul herself back to her feet as the vehicle pulled slowly away, but it was still going too fast for her to reach.

(I already got Ms. Foo's action and roll, so I just need Kerry and Sally to act before I can update again. You may each shoot at the worm if you wish. Kerry is at normal range, but Sally is at point blank range if she wants to shoot at it. Kerry, your base skill with the M-16 is 30%, but remember that if you fire a 3-round burst you get +20. Sally, you can roll Idea as I stated before. Kerry, if you want to try to save Max, roll First Aid and then roll 1d3 to see how many HP he gets back if you succeed. He needs 2 or more to live.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

(Mr. Handy see I know better. If i was to try to shoot at this creature I would not kill it at all. That is why you left us the special weapons. But to use those special weapons we have to stop and get closer which I do not have any intention of doing. I will roll First Aid tommow some time for Max)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

-Awow!
Max shows the sadest look he can.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by ryansommer »

Sally has an idea.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the campsite-
Sally realized that the worm-like creature was approximately of the same width as the tunnels she and the others had passed through. Could it have dug those tunnels? Or - and she really didn't want to consider this possibility - could other creatures like this one have done it? If there was one, there could be more. The giant worm seemed fixated on the van for now, so it would probably leave her alone until it either got away or the worm killed everyone in it. The only real shelter nearby was the cave she had just emerged from, and the cavern tunnels were too narrow for it to fit into. However, if it could tunnel under the earth it could still catch her if she went that way. She would have to hope that digging would slow it down so she could stay ahead of it, and that she didn't run into any others. The caverns were also dark, and Ms. Foo and Rosie had the only flashlights.

(This round you may attack the worm at point blank range, or you may instead flee. You can get inside the cavern entrance this round.

And Steve, you don't
know that you can't kill the creature with normal weapons, you're just assuming. You won't know unless you actually try, and this creature is different than the one you encountered in the lab. You also are within range to use the flamethrower, but you have all of a 5% chance to hit with it. You could also throw something at it with a Throw roll, but a grenade would hurt and probably kill Sally too. However, saving Max is definitely a good thing.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: Hmmm. I don't like my options at the moment. Are there are gullies or anything other than the cave that I can get to in the opposite direction? Any bushes or anything to hide behind? I can't go into the caves, so I'm going to get moving in the opposite direction with my cane and hunker down as far away as I can before it comes back. Hopefully, it will move on if it does not sense me or see me in the area.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(No, the terrain is completely flat in all directions as far as you can see, as is typical of Nebraska. There are no bushes, and the grass is fairly low here. You can start moving in any direction you like, but the only shelter anywhere within sight is the cave. You know the highway is a mile north and the motel is a mile east from there, but good luck getting there on a bum leg with a monster chasing you!)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Sally moves as quickly as she can to the east.
(OOC: Sally is going to move east and do her best to keep an eye on the worm. Once it gives up the chase, or kills everyone and moves or looks to this direction, Sally will drop to the ground and do her best to hide. Running will only grab it's attention as motion is easy to detect and if it detects vibration, as I suspect it does, it will also grab it's attention.)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the campsite-
"Don't die, Max!" sobbed Rosie as she too continued trying to save the dog's life. Her desperation bore incredible results, and she stopped the bleeding and repaired some of his worst injuries. Max came to his senses again, and while he was in pain, he did feel much better.

They had no chance to relax, however. The worm reached for the minivan with six of its tentacles. Ms. Foo could not swerve quickly enough to avoid any of them. The first two smashed into the minivan, the first of them very powerfully, and they latched onto the vehicle, causing severe damage and rolling it over onto its side! This crippled the minivan, and further injured its occupants.

Rosie was hurt badly, but she managed to stay awake. Poor Max was mortally wounded all over again. He passed out, and was mercifully at least spared any further pain. Ms. Foo was lightly injured, but it was enough to knock her out when combined with her earlier injuries. Ellen was severely mangled and began to bleed to death. Michael took a decent wallop, and Kerry got off with only minor bruises.

But the true horror was just beginning. While the worm's third tentacle missed, its fourth went right for Kerry, and so did the fifth. The last one badly missed Rosie.

Sally had just made it to the edge of the clearing and into the low grass beyond when she saw the vehicle turn over.

(Kerry, I need two Dodge rolls from you, one for each tentacle coming your way. Once that's done, I'll update and start the next round. Nobody else can act yet.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”